Problems with windows 2003 KDC and MIT kerberos

kdkirmse kdkirmse at psiweaver.com
Thu Jul 29 13:14:12 EDT 2004

I have been having problems with getting a keytab file on a windows
2000 client running the MIT Kerberos utilities to interface properly
with a windows 2003 KDC. I had the same client working correctly when
the KDC was a windows 2000 server.

The command "kinit rdop at INFRASTOR.US" works correctly but when I
attempt to use  "kinit -k" I get the following error message

kinit(v5): Cannot find KDC for requested realm while getting initial
credentials

My krb5.ini file is as follows

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 600
 default_realm = INFRASTOR.US
 default_keytab_name = C:/WINNT/krb5.keytab
 default_etypes = des-cbc-crc
 default_etypes_des = des-cbc-crc

[realms]
 INFRASTOR.US = {
  kdc = 192.168.0.3
  admin_server = 192.168.0.3
 }

[domain_realm]
 .infrastor.us = INFRASTOR.US
  infrastor.us = INFRASTOR.US

"klist -k -t -K" gives the following results.

Keytab name: FILE:C:/WINNT/krb5.keytab
KVNO Timestamp         Principal
   3 07/28/04 17:52:06 rdop at INFRASTOR.US (0x158cefb5d56d5eab)

This problem is frustrating because I had the system working correctly
prior to upgrading the KDC to a windows 2003 machine. I need some
suggestions on where to look next.