Kerberos Digest, Vol 20, Issue 34

Dodson, Robert (Alliance) BDODSON at allstate.com
Mon Aug 30 00:08:20 EDT 2004

mdj_frend at yahoo.com (mdj_kerberos) wrote:

		Date: 29 Aug 2004 02:51:45 -0700
		From: mdj_frend at yahoo.com (mdj_kerberos)
		To: kerberos at MIT.EDU
		Subject: Can I specify KDC IP address or hostname???
		Message: 1

		Hi all,

		    Can I specify the KDC server host name or the IP address in the krb5.conf file?

		    Is there any adverse effect if I specify the KDC IP instead of KDC host name??

		Can any body please reply,

		thanks

One consideration would be the volatility of your network.  If you change IP addresses frequently, using the name would

allow resetting DNS to the new IP, transparent to KDC clients.  If you set as IP, on the other hand, you can find it without

DNS being available, although you may experience failure at other DNS-sensitive interactions.   Hope this helps.

Robert L. Dodson

Security Consultant