'Preauthentiction Failed" when initializing kadmin

Booker C. Bense bbense at networking.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 8 10:45:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Chris Schadl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get one of my workstations (IRIX 6.2, gcc) to participate
> in my Kerberos realm.  I was able to successfully compile and install
> kerberosV 1.2.4 and I am able to get tickets from the KDC.  However, I
> get the following error when I try to extract the host principle from the
> KDC to the IRIX machine's keytab using kadmin:
>
> irix# kinit root/admin
> Password for root/admin at LEET.ORG:
> irix# /usr/local/sbin/kadmin
> Authenticating as principal root/admin at LEET.ORG with password.
> Enter password:
> Enter password: (for some reason it asks for the password twice)
> kadmin: Preauthentication failed while initializing kadmin interface
>
> I'm pretty sure that its not a clock-skew problem, nor is it a password
> problem as I am able to get tickets from the KDC just fine.  I'm using
> the heimdal Kerberos implementation on the KDC, if that matters.  Does
> anyone know what the problem might be?

- There's no guarantee that the MIT kadmin will talk correctly to a
Hiemdal one. There's no protocol standard for the admin protocol.
If you have a Hiemdal KDC, your best bet is to use Hiemdal admin
tools.

- Booker C. Bense

-BTW, having "root" as a principal name is a REALLY BAD idea, at least
in a reasonably sized realm.