LDAP/Kerberos user management

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Sun Aug 25 12:49:58 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 02:04:23PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     John> Hi, I am trying to find a method for a principal
>     John> automatically being created in a Kerberos database while at
>     John> the same time adding a corresponding entry to an LDAP
>     John> database.  Has anyone heard of or is anyone using something
>     John> like this?

Well, I'm planning to implement something like this in the next couple of
months..

> I was working on a prototype of this type of integration and the
> initial hacked-together version can be found at
> http://www.boxedpenguin.com/.  I'm lno longer working for Mekinok--now
> working full-time on Kerberos and that project is basically dead.  But
> it illustrates that you can throw something together and get fairly
> good results quickly.

Hrrrrrrm, the description of what boxedpenguin has right now sounds almost
exactly like what I want to set up..

All the pieces are out there, it's just a pain to put them together. I
don't really want to do 'yet another custom local hack' to replace the old
'custom local hack' we had based on rdist and a big gross perl 'adduser'
script.

I was toying with the idea of putting up a sourceforge project called
something like 'Open directory' and have a central place to do all the
integration and documentation for setting up a system with openafs, krb5,
ldap, and whatnot.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to resurrect the boxedpenguin project,
or maybe just get some interested people and start over again?

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz