[IS&T Security-FYI] SFYI Newsletter, January 31, 2011

Monique Yeaton myeaton at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 31 11:54:46 EST 2011

In this issue:

1. Data Privacy Day 2011

2. Settlement Reached in Fake AV Software Case

3. Web Browser Security

--------------------------------

1. Data Privacy Day 2011

--------------------------------

Data Privacy Day was celebrated on January 28, and is an international celebration of the dignity of the individual expressed through personal information. Throughout the world, as people are using powerful technologies to improve their lives, run businesses, share information, etc, we are asking "How can I protect my information from being misused?" The sponsors of Data Privacy Day encourage this dialogue and provide a website as a service to those who care about our common future and our roles as digital citizens and consumers.

Learn more about Data Privacy Day: <http://dataprivacyday2011.org/>

2. Settlement Reached in Fake AV Software Case

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has reached an settlement agreement with a father and son team who used deceptive advertising to trick users into downloading bogus antivirus (AV) software. The settlement funds ($8.2 million) will be used to reimburse people who were duped into buying the worthless software, which went by the names of Winfixer, Drive Cleaner and Antivirus XP.

Read the story here: <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/217987/alleged_scareware_vendors_to_pay_82_million_to_ftc.html>

Learn more about this type of bogus software: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scareware>

-------------------------------

3. Web Browser Security

According to About.com, the Web browser is one of the most used and exploited applications. About.com put together an article to help people understand the flaws and vulnerabilities of Web browser software and to help you to use your Web browser securely, whether you use Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Firefox.

Read the article here: <http://netsecurity.about.com/od/webbrowsersecurity/Web_Browser_Security_Information_and_Resources.htm>

To read all current and archived articles online, visit the Security-FYI Blog at <http://securityfyi.wordpress.com/>

Monique Yeaton
IT Security Awareness Consultant
MIT Information Services & Technology (IS&T)
(617) 253-2715
http://ist.mit.edu/security