[IS&T Security-FYI] SFYI Newsletter, Educating MIT on Computer Security

Monique Yeaton myeaton at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 19 12:32:37 EDT 2009

In this issue:

Educating MIT on Computer Security

During the month of October there is a nationwide campaign to push out
the message of safe computing to all users. <http://ist.mit.edu/news/cybersecurity2009
 > The responsibility of protecting electronic data (your own data or
any data you have access to) falls to each computer user. That is why
the theme for National Cyber Security Awareness Month is: "Our Shared
Responsibility."

Our computing activities affect others on a daily basis. A computer
that is linked to the Internet or other network is intermittently
interacting with other computers. If a computer user in that "web" of
connectivity fails to do its part with putting protective measures in
place, others can feel the impact. A compromised computer (one that
has already been hacked or is vulnerable to attack) puts its own data
as well the other computers at risk of theft or exposure.

While we may be doing all we can with the time we have in our busy
lives to stay safe, we can certainly be doing more. See some recent
statistics here: <http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/vulnerabilities/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220300558

Users can be educated through easy and short awareness-raising
methods. If those around you could use some information on best
computing practices, point them to a few of these online resources.
Some are fun, and most of them are short and concise:

GAMES:
-----------

Phishing Game: <http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/antiphishing_phil/new/index.html>

OnGuard Online Games, these short games and interactive quizzes cover
topics such as Spyware, ID Theft, Wireless Hackers, Laptop Security,
Phishing Scams, Spam, and Cyber Criminals:
<http://www.onguardonline.gov/games/overview.aspx>

QUIZZES:
-------------

Phishing Quiz: <http://www.sonicwall.com/phishing/>

IT Security Quiz (hosted by George Mason University): <http://security.gmu.edu/quiz/question1.html

SHORT VIDEOS:
----------------------

IS&T created a series of short videos on some of the top security
issues to be aware of at MIT:
<http://ist.mit.edu/services/training/demos#security>

The winners of this year's Computer Security Video Contest sponsored
by Educause and created by college students:
<http://www.researchchannel.org/securityvideo2009/>

UCDavis created this video podcast for its users:
<http://iet.ucdavis.edu/pubs/ietpodcast2_med.mov>

Bud Logs In, offered by WatchGuard:
<http://www.watchguard.com/info/budlogsin.asp?t=040806bud>

ONLINE TRAINING MODULES:

The National Institute of Health (NIH) created this Information
Security and Privacy Awareness training course and provides it to
general public users:
<http://irtsectraining.nih.gov/public.aspx>

Texas A&M University provides these training courses for faculty,
staff and students (guest users can run through the training examples
without logging in):
<http://infosat.tamu.edu/index.html>

  --- A Request ---
If you've looked at any of these resources or used them for training
purposes, let me know your thoughts. Were they effective? What did you
like or not like about them? If you have found other resources you'd
like to share with the community, please send them my way. I plan to
put this list online within the coming days.

Monique Yeaton
IT Security Awareness Consultant
MIT Information Services & Technology (IS&T)
(617) 253-2715
http://ist.mit.edu/security

October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month.
Stay Safe Online!
Visit http://www.staysafeoneline.org for the latest cybersecurity tips.