[IS&T Security-FYI] Our Shared Responsibility: Cyber Security @ MIT

Monique Yeaton myeaton at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 7 10:09:16 EDT 2009

October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, an annual campaign
to shed light on what each of us can do to protect our computers, data
and privacy.

The theme this year is "Our Shared Responsibility" to reinforce the
message that all computer users have a responsibility to practice good
"cyber hygiene" to protect themselves and others.

Ready to do your part? You can make a difference by taking these steps:

Ensure that your computer is protected by anti-virus software and set
up for regular software updates and operating system patches.
Create strong passwords and keep them secure by never responding to
emails that ask you to provide them.
Protect Institute sensitive data by minimizing its collection,
limiting access privileges, protecting it from unauthorized
modification and disclosure while in your custody, and securely
destroying files when they're no longer needed.
View the Computing Security Awareness video (http://ist.mit.edu/services/training/demos#security
), which runs through common risks and how to avoid them.
Visit IS&T's Security web site (http://ist.mit.edu/security) and Stay
Safe Online (www.staysafeonline.org). Both offer tips and resources.
Share this information with others in your work area and at home.

If you need help with computer security settings, contact the IS&T
Service Desk at 617-253-1101 or computing-help at mit.edu.

This campaign is fully supported by the IT Security Services team at
MIT. Please contact us (security at mit.edu) if you have any questions,
comments, or would like the team to give a presentation to your
department or group.

Monique Yeaton
IT Security Awareness Consultant
MIT Information Services & Technology (IS&T)
(617) 253-2715
http://ist.mit.edu/security