[IS&T Security-FYI] Follow up to Loss & Theft

Monique Yeaton myeaton at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 7 14:28:53 EST 2009

In today's SFYI Newsletter issue sent out earlier today, an article
included statistics on computer equipment loss and theft and how they
can lead to a data compromise. I should have added another link to the
article. It lists some information and resources about protecting your
devices on campus:

<http://ist.mit.edu/security/support/loss>

Be sure to also look at the Theft Deterrents listed. Our preferred
vendors will work with MIT community members who are interested in
purchasing cables, locks or other anti-theft devices.

<http://ist.mit.edu/security/support/loss/deterrents>

STOP tags only cost $10. MIT Campus Police recently shared a story
about an MIT professor's tagged laptop. It was left on a train, and
because of the registration information of the tag, was returned to
him unharmed.

Vendors regularly offer discounts. Currently KSL Security is offering
the notebook club to MIT at a discounted price, for a limited time.
Their information is listed on the IS&T Security site link above.

These low prices and discounts are very welcome in these economically
challenging times.

Monique Yeaton
IT Security Awareness Consultant
MIT Information Services & Technology (IS&T)
(617) 253-2715
http://ist.mit.edu/security