[IS&T Security-FYI] STOP tags for Laptops

Monique Yeaton myeaton at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 19 16:07:13 EDT 2006

STOP claims that the recovery rate is very high. They have recovered
eight out of 10 items (which would mean 80%) reported stolen or lost
for the more than 2000 companies using the system. But the STOP tags
are primarily a theft deterrent and the numbers I have seen for that
are that companies with STOP tags on their equipment have a 90
percent reduction in equipment losses.

I spoke to an officer here at MIT and she mentioned that they got a
notice recently of a computer that had been marked with the tag and
registered with MIT that was reported recovered in California 2 years
later, so it definitely works.

Here's the recovered list from STOP for 2006:

http://www.stoptheft.com/site/recoveries.php

Monique