[IS&T Security-FYI] STOP tags for Laptops

Monique Yeaton myeaton at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 19 15:14:51 EDT 2006

There are several theft prevention measures one can take with a
laptop: buying desk cables and locks, using extra caution when in
public, and keeping it in a safe place. But can we do more?
Additionally, when your laptop gets stolen anyway, is there anything
that can be done to get it back? There is!

This week is the second week that the MIT Police Crime Prevention
Unit will be providing STOP (Security Tracking of Office Property)
tagging on campus for laptops and other portable devices. This
service will be provided one or two days per week through November 14th.

STOP tags are plates that are secured to your device with incredibly
strong glue. They include a barcode that can be scanned putting the
information into a worldwide tracking system. You can also register
your equipment online immediately upon receiving your tag. If the tag
is removed, the tattoo left behind states stolen property.

To learn more and to view the tagging schedule and location go to
<http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/security/physical.html>
Each item tagged costs $10.

Background Information:

Since January of 2006, a little over 100 computers were reported
stolen at MIT. Nation-wide, some 2000 computers are stolen or lost
EVERY DAY. That rate is growing at the rate of 25 percent per year.
Security experts agree that theft deterrence is the most important
and cost-effective step you can take in preventing a very costly and
sometimes embarrassing problem.

FBI studies have shown that 97 percent of unmarked machines are never
recovered. STOP plates act not only to deter theft, they link your
equipment to a worldwide tracking and retrieval service. STOP will
work with local police, the FBI, and INTERPOL to track your equipment
down and, once located, return it to you.

Stay Informed:

The IT Security Support team is also looking into having Dell and
Apple put these tags on computers prior to shipping to MIT. Another
option we're looking into is the LoJack for Laptops service. We'll
let you know what we find out about both of these.

Sincerely,

Monique Yeaton
IT Security Awareness Consultant
MIT Information Services & Technology (IS&T)
N42-040, tel: (617) 253-2715