[HoTT-reading-group] Today; Next Monday

Ryan Wisnesky wisnesky at math.mit.edu
Tue Feb 18 12:35:28 EST 2014

The last comment in the thread linked to by David is pretty interesting.

Mike Shulman: I have to say that this trick makes me a bit more suspicious of all judgmental equalities. Maybe even beta-reduction should be propositional.

Proof assistants based on extensional type theory, like NuPRL, end up having to keep around entire typing derivations to witness places where beta reduction happens - because in extensional type theory, it is unsound to arbitrarily beta reduce under binders.  Interesting that propositional beta-reduction would show up again in a type theory (HoTT) that is “more extensional” than intensional type theory.