[gwaMIT] ✨gwaMIT Newsletter: January 16 ✨

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jan 16 03:22:59 EST 2023

[cid74035*image001.png at 01D927BF.D8B97590]
________________________________
[cid:image002.png at 01D929A5.3B3482A0]
________________________________

Dear gwaMIT members,

Happy New Year! We hope you are having a beautiful beginning to your year. We are putting together some events and opportunities to build our community in the coming semester. Here is the first newsletter of 2023 sharing some exciting events and opportunities.

Enjoy the rest of winter break and we hope to see you soon :)

gwaMIT Events

  *    💪🏼Negotiation Workshop: Feel More Confident Negotiating Your Next Offer💪🏼
  *   👩🏽‍🏫Women's Networking & Mentoring 👩🏽‍🏫

gwaMIT Announcements

  *   ✨22-23 gwaMIT Leadership Application✨

General Announcements + Opportunities

·         IAP Graduate Workshop: Building Skills For a Successful PhD

·         Apply to the ARPA-E Student Program!

·         Internship opportunity at Coding it Forward

·         Research Assistant Position: Reproductive Justice Health at Laal NYC

________________________________

gwaMIT Events!

💪🏼Negotiation Workshop: Feel More Confident Negotiating Your Next Offer💪🏼

(With 81cents and Rora)

When: Wednesday, February 1, 6pm

Where: Zoom (link will be shared upon registration

RSVP: Link<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfCK9id7Gxmh_7pB_-ovrk7qLtrNAnPSIkjlbcYgIa-rLml9A/viewform?usp=send_form> (by January 20)

This workshop will cover:

Understanding the fundamentals of compensation in tech (particularly around equity, bonus structures, etc.)

  *   How to get over your fears of negotiating
  *   How to decide which company / offer is right for you
  *   How to negotiate without counter offers and without knowing "market value"
  *   How to respond to pushback from recruiters and other guilt tripping / lowballing /pressure tactics
  *   How to avoid having an offer rescinded
  *   How to negotiate deadline of an offer
  *   Walking through a timeline of the negotiation process for a new offer

________________________________

👩🏽‍🏫Women's Networking & Mentoring 👩🏽‍🏫

When: Tuesday, January 24, 6.30pm

Where: Virtual (link will be shared upon registration)

RSVP: Link<https://amita.alumgroup.mit.edu/2023AMITAMentorNetwork>

Join us for the AMITA & Graduate Womxn at MIT (gwaMIT) Annual Women's Mentoring & Networking event. Meet students, meet alumni, discuss careers, work life balance and create a community of support. If previous networking events are an indication, the discussions will be heart-felt, enlightening and invigorating.

The event this year will once again be virtual.  While COVID-19 took away so much, it gave us the opportunity to learn that we can be much more inclusive by doing this event online.

Possible “Table" Topics:

  *   Work/Life balance
  *   Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
  *   Working in a Male-Dominated sector
  *   Leadership in the Modern Workplace
  *   Entrepreneurship
  *   Changing Careers
  *   Career Planning

If you have other interests, please let us know when you sign up!

Interested in volunteering to mentor/host a table topic?  You’ll have a chance to let us know when you register.

________________________________

gwaMIT Announcements!

✨22-23 gwaMIT Leadership Application✨

Get involved in leadership! We’ve received many exciting applications, but are still looking to fill a few key positions (we are currently looking for an Event Chair, Conference Chair, and Membership Chair) as well as representatives for various departments. Apply via our application form<https://forms.gle/RXmdcGTrSMi9U4rx9> and we’ll be in touch!

If you’d like to talk to us before applying or are unsure about any position, feel free to reach out at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>!

________________________________

General Announcements + Opportunities

IAP Graduate Workshop: Building Skills For a Successful PhD

[cid74035*image003.png at 01D927BF.D8B97590]

When: Tuesday, January 31, 1- 4pm

Where: 32-144

Instructors: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>), Senior Lecturer, Riccio Graduate Engineering Leadership Program, and Professor Vivienne Sze, EECS (sze at mit.edu<mailto:sze at mit.edu>)

RSVP: Link<https://forms.gle/7EixThpb1dEuuQhMA>

In this workshop, we will discuss non-technical skills that are critical for a successful PhD journey and professional career. Topics will focus on personal and interpersonal skills, including developing self-confidence, giving/receiving feedback, and managing conflict and stress. We will showcase how these skills can be used to address real scenarios/challenges encountered during the PhD journey (e.g., managing relationships with your advisor or other students). In addition to providing resources and guidance and how to use these skills, the workshop will also contain a skills development component, where students will have an opportunity to practice the skill.

________________________________

Apply to the ARPA-E Student Program!

When: March 22-24, 2023

Where: National Harbor, MD, just outside of Washington, DC

More information + Application: Link<https://www.arpae-summit.com/Students/Student-Program> + Fact Sheet<https://arpa-e.energy.gov/document/2023-arpa-e-summit-student-program-fact-sheet>

On behalf of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Project Agency – Energy (ARPA-E), I would like to invite graduate-level students from the Graduate Women at MIT to participate in the Student Program at the 2023 ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit<https://www.arpae-summit.com/Home>.

The Summit convenes leaders from academia, business, and government to discuss cutting-edge energy technologies, facilitate relationships to move technologies to market, and showcase innovations that solve current and future national energy challenges.

Graduate-level students interested in energy and innovation are invited to apply to the Summit’s Student Program. The Student Program features student-focused panels and breakout sessions, networking events, and the opportunity for students to have their resumes included in a digital book that will be distributed to all companies attending the Summit. All accepted students receive complimentary conference registration and will be able to attend main Summit programming in addition to the Student Program.

Students accepted to the Student Program will be invited to apply to the second annual Proposing Ideas for Technologies that Can Harness Energy Sustainably (PITCHES) session. PITCHES is a unique opportunity for students to showcase their innovative and novel energy ideas in a semi-formal setting. Selected students will present a five-minute pitch to an audience of their peers as well as a panel of industry representatives, who will provide feedback and ask questions. The deadline to apply to PITCHES will be February 15, 2023. More information about PITCHES can be found at the bottom of the page here<https://www.arpae-summit.com/Students/Student-Program>.

________________________________

Internship opportunity at Coding it Forward

Apply by: January 20, 2023

Application: Link<https://emaillink.codingitforward.com/x/d?c=28007282&l=f9f4a275-6723-4d0d-8061-6ff0bdbf2799&r=4013632a-4298-4930-93cd-0dabb62807f5> (on a rolling basis)

Coding it Forward<https://emaillink.codingitforward.com/x/d?c=28007282&l=0cf648c9-241e-4f76-9536-9bd70077522b&r=4013632a-4298-4930-93cd-0dabb62807f5> is a 501(c)3 nonprofit empowering early-career technologists to innovate in local, state, and federal government through paid, 10-week summer internships.

They’ve officially opened applications for the Civic Digital Fellowship and Civic Innovation Corps<https://emaillink.codingitforward.com/x/d?c=28007282&l=132d5caf-47bc-45d5-b1b6-2c405182ed91&r=4013632a-4298-4930-93cd-0dabb62807f5> and are looking for undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in applying their software, data, design, or product skills to some of the most pressing challenges facing our country.

________________________________

Research Assistant Position: Reproductive Justice Health at Laal NYC

Apply by: February 28, 2023

Application: Link<https://mit.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fbfcbe5f8114f808637f837c4&id=2737d9762c&e=a60344da72>

Laal provides resources that Bangladeshi womxn need to live healthy, engaged, and joyful lives. The intern will assist with data collection, develop Laal’s Spring curriculums for Reproductive Health and analyze findings on past cycles of Laal’s Reproductive Justice Initiative.

“So New Year, I have too many hopes in you. I hope you lead me safely to the shore. I hope you can be nice to me, just nice and nothing more. I hope you vanquish this tornado of sores … All I ask for is some peace around.”

-Noha Alaa El-Din (Author)

Follow us on social media, and share our newsletter with your womxn friends!

Click on the logos for the links!

[cid64818*image004.jpg at 01D8D688.BEA636D0]<https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/gwamit>                        [cid64818*image005.jpg at 01D8D688.BEA636D0] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/graduate-womxn-at-mit-gwamit/>                        [cid64818*image006.jpg at 01D8D688.BEA636D0] <https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/?hl=en>