[gwaMIT] ☀️ gwaMIT Newsletter: October 3

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Wed Oct 5 12:44:42 EDT 2022

[cid64802*image001.png at 01D8D683.13D6BE50]
________________________________

[cid64802*image002.png at 01D8D683.13D6BE50]
________________________________

Dear gwaMIT members,

Here are some announcements and opportunities, the application for our new membership highlights which will be a part of the biweekly newsletter, and an empowering quote to end. Enjoy!

________________________________

gwaMIT Announcements!

✨22-23 gwaMIT Leadership Application✨

Get involved in leadership! We’ve received many exciting applications, but are still looking to fill a few key positions (we are currently looking for an Event Chair, Conference Chair, and Membership Chair) as well as representatives for various departments. Apply via our application form<https://forms.gle/RXmdcGTrSMi9U4rx9> (position descriptions inside) and we’ll be in touch!

If you’d like to talk to us before applying or are unsure about any position, feel free to reach out at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>!

________________________________

🌟Monthly Member highlights 🌟

Submit your story: Link<https://forms.gle/3Eurepez2CBPqve27>

As a member of the Graduate Womxn at MIT, you have a lot to offer to this amazing community. We want to hear them and learn more about you!

Take a couple of minutes to fill out this form so you can be featured in the next gwaMIT Newsletter! It's a great way to connect with like-minded womxn on campus and form meaningful friendships.

________________________________

👩🏾‍💼gwaMIT Mentoring Program👩🏾‍💼

Apply by: Monday, September 26

Registration: Link<https://forms.gle/a8HEH88d2upcZz6V7>

With the start of the semester, the gwaMIT Mentoring Program has opened applications for womxn graduate students to be matched with a mentor. In the program, you will be matched with a mentoring group of up to three graduate students and a mentor from industry or academia. Most of our mentors are women and MIT alumni, and mentoring groups talk about everything from picking a lab and finding a job to imposter syndrome and mental health!

Graduate women mentees are encouraged to meet with their mentoring group every month and we host several events throughout the semester to foster a community between womxn in the Boston region and beyond. This year we will host both larger group virtual events and hold smaller in-person events.

Please email gwaMITmentoring at gmail.com<mailto:gwaMITmentoring at gmail.com> if you have any questions or want more info.

Mentees will be able to enter preferences for mentors based on mentor profiles that will be distributed soon. Mentees will be given priority in selecting a mentor in the order you fill out the above survey, so please don’t wait!

________________________________

General Announcements + Events

Grad Workshops on Engineering Leadership (Fall 2022)

When: Wednesday, October 12, 5.00 PM - 7.00 PM

Where: 32-144

Registration: Internal MIT registration link<https://forms.gle/Misee2TJYGapa5Yi6>

This upcoming workshop with Reza Rahaman highlights the role of the career progression options available in technical organizations and the types of technical projects being undertaken by the organization in determining a path that maximizes growth and satisfaction for an Emerging Engineering Leader as their Leadership Skills develop.

Click here<http://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-fall-2022> for a full list of our workshops.  These workshops will be limited to 50 students.  Advance registration is required.  If you find you’re not able to attend after registering, please email lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu> so that she can make your seat available to another student who is on the wait-list.

________________________________

Deep Tech Career Fair

When: Monday, October 24, 10.00 AM - 1.00 PM

Where: Building 13 Lobby

Registration: Internal MIT registration link<https://mitnano.mit.edu/events/deep-tech-career-fair-october-4-2022/registration>

A consortia recruitment event presented by MIT.nano with the Microsystems Technology Laboratories (MTL) and the Center for Quantum Engineering (CQE).

For more information please refer to their website<https://mitnano.mit.edu/events/deep-tech-career-fair-october-4-2022>, or contact kellygav at mit.edu<mailto:kellygav at mit.edu>.

Explore career and internship opportunities in electronics, computing, materials, and other deep tech industries.

MIT students, postdocs, researchers, and alumni are invited to meet with representatives of the member companies of the MIT.nano Consortium<https://mitnano.mit.edu/mitnano-consortium/current-members>, MTL Industrial Group<https://www.mtl.mit.edu/microsystems-industrial-group>, and Quantum Science & Engineering Consortium<https://cqe.mit.edu/qsec/>. This focused career fair will provide networking and career opportunities with leading global companies seeking MIT talent for a variety of roles and industries.

Meet potential employers and build relationships with companies in your areas of interest. There will be opportunities to learn more about specific openings with participating companies for permanent placements and internships.

________________________________

Acroyoga Beginner Series (6 weeks)

When: September 15 - October 20, Thursdays 6 - 7:30pm

Where: Killian Court (Rain/Cold: inside Z Center in the Dupont Lower Matted Court)

Registration: Link<https://forms.gle/pnQqTeuPH1DiQ5P2A>

What is Acroyoga?

Acroyoga is a communication practice disguised as a partner movement practice. The physical aspect combines yoga and acrobatics. This class is a great place to start, whether you’ve never tried acro before or you’re returning to it after some time away. We’ll go over the 3 key roles (base, flier, spotter), refine the fundamentals and learn how to transition smoothly & gracefully.

Feel free to bring a friend to class but it's not necessary to participate. You’ll leave the class with more friends than when you arrived!

This class is covered by funding from the MIT Office of Graduate Education so there is no cost to you. You can try anything once right? Especially if it's free! Join us even if you can’t make it to all the classes!

For questions please contact us at acroyoga-admin at mit.edu<mailto:acroyoga-admin at mit.edu>

Follow them on social media: Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/mit.acro/> (@mit.acro) and Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/groups/1882939961870753/>.

________________________________

MIT Recreation Women’s only swim hour

[cid64802*image003.png at 01D8D683.13D6BE50]

When: Every Tuesday from September 20 - November 22, 3.00 PM - 5.00 PM

Where: Alumni Pool

Who: Female identifying MIT Recreation members and non-members (non-members need a guest pass)

“Leadership is not a person or a position. It is a complex moral relationship between people based on trust, obligation, commitment, emotion, and a shared vision of the good.”

- Joanne Ciulla (Author and Educator)

Follow us on social media, and share our newsletter with your womxn friends!

Click on the logos for the links!

[cid64818*image004.jpg at 01D8D688.BEA636D0]<https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/gwamit>                        [cid64818*image005.jpg at 01D8D688.BEA636D0] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/graduate-womxn-at-mit-gwamit/>                        [cid64818*image006.jpg at 01D8D688.BEA636D0] <https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/?hl=en>