[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Special Announcement: May 9, 2022

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 9 10:20:17 EDT 2022

gwaMIT Special Announcement
May 9th, 2022

Apply for MIT Science Policy Initiative’s State and Local Visit Day
The MIT Science Policy Initiative (SPI) is coordinating the 2022 State & Local Government Visit Day (StateVD) for May 20th, 2022. The program’s aim is to explore the role of state and local government in science, engineering, technology, and innovation. SPI is very excited to offer this state and local-focused program for the second time this year!
We will meet virtually with a number of state and local agencies across the country to discuss science and technology policy issues. This is a great opportunity to network and learn about career paths in state and local government. Speakers will include Lily Bui, PhD, of the National Disaster Preparedness Training Center<https://ndptc.hawaii.edu/>; Kade Crockford of the ACLU of Massachusetts<https://www.aclum.org/>; Paulina Muratore of the Union of Concerned Scientists<https://www.ucsusa.org/>; and more!
This year, the event will be hybrid. As speakers are confirmed, we will provide more details. On campus we will be in room E51-151 with the option for participants to attend virtual meetings from the classroom throughout the day. Attendance of all of the meetings is expected. Participants are required to be active in the preparation for the StateVD event, including an initial call amongst the cohort, preparing questions for one of the speakers, and assisting in writing a final report.
Apply now; space is limited! The “trip” is open to all MIT undergraduates, graduate students, post-docs, and staff. StateVD is international-friendly (for most careers we’ll learn about, you don’t need to be a US citizen!).
The application can be found here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSey6fSKLKXgroDkDFuFyeR6fXmrC4cqO9LPr3-KC_riZzBdDw/viewform>.