[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter: April 18, 2022

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 18 11:51:07 EDT 2022

gwaMIT Newsletter
April 18th, 2022

Become a member of the gwaMIT Executive Board!
Want to get involved with gwaMIT, build your network, and collaborate with an incredible community of womxn graduate students? Apply to be part of the gwaMIT Executive Board! We are currently focused on recruiting for the Conference Chair, Membership Chair, Publicity Chair, Outreach Chair, and Events Co-Chair positions. The application form is available here<https://forms.gle/D5rUT277SfCmxrxA7>. There is a link to the official descriptions in the application form.

Learn how you can help support Ukrainians here<https://linktr.ee/UkrainiansBoston>

Did you know? Womxn-related news from around the world

On April 7th, the Senate confirmed Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/07/us/politics/ketanji-brown-jackson-supreme-court.html> to the Supreme Court, making her the first Black woman to serve on the highest court in the US.

As part of the volunteer group Women Take the Wheel<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/09/world/europe/poland-women-ukraine-refugees.html>, Polish women have been making trips to the Polish-Ukrainian border to offer rides to the thousands of refugees fleeing Ukraine.

Shirley Spork, one of the founders<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/obituaries/shirley-spork-dead.html> of the Ladies’ Professional Golf Association, passed away earlier this month.

On April 12th, Alyssa Nakken<https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/13/sports/baseball/alyssa-nakken-giants.html>—one of the coaches for the San Francisco Giants—became the first woman to coach on the field in a Major League Baseball game.

Events & Opportunities

  1.  Attend a fireside chat with Illumina CEO and MIT alum Francis deSouza (April 19th)
  2.  Join LBGTQ+ Services for a conversation about the intersection of Asian and Queer identity (April 22nd)
  3.  Apply for D.E. Shaw Research’s Graduate and Postdoc Women’s Fellowship (apply by April 25th!)
  4.  Join LBGTQ+ Services for the 2022 Lavender Graduation (May 5th)
  5.  Apply for summer internships with MIT Dive into Healthcare Innovation and Venture Exploration Program (internships starting June 6th)
  6.  Job opportunity at Magrathea (apply now!)
  7.  Sign up for the Spring 2022 workshop series for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership
  8.  Become a gwaMIT Department Rep!

  1.  Attend a Fireside Chat with Illumina CEO and MIT alum Francis deSouza
When: April 19th, 2022 5:30PM EST
Where: 32-141

Details: Join Illumina's CEO and MIT Alum, Francis deSouza, as he reflects on his MIT days and shares his perspective on how the world is navigating this new genomic era. The presentation will be followed by networking with Francis and Illumina recruiters.
Illumina is an applied genomics technology company making genomics useful for all. We work tirelessly to create the leading-edge technology that enables clinicians and researchers to not only understand the genome but also fully tap its power. We are expanding access to genomics technology to realize health equity for billions of people around the world. Our efforts turn ideas into innovations that impact humanity and unlock discoveries across the field of genomics. The results of our significant efforts are all around you—in the care you receive, the decisions you make for your family, and the food you eat. And we are just getting started.
Register here<https://www.surveymonkey.com/survey-closed/?sm=EviVqAbVSSLRQU2TG56d8Ry5GncwxYU2B3niBY7tmM8AjLV9gBGh9lJ0ASmIp_2BheFzoCWbWtCwxksxoEdkPfwzVXWmyP268_2Bi65fFSnTmf0_3D>!

  1.  Join LBGTQ+ Services for a conversation about the intersection of Asian and Queer identity
When: April 22nd, 2022 5 – 7PM EST
Where: Rainbow Lounge (50-250)
Details: Come join us for a conversation about the intersection of Asian & Queer Identity. We will chat about the history of Asian & Queerness and how that influences the present.

  1.  Apply for D.E. Shaw Research’s Graduate and Postdoc Women’s Fellowship
When: May 26th – 27th, 2022 (apply by April 25th)
Where: virtual
Details: The Graduate and Postdoc Women’s Fellowship<http://www.deshawresearch.com/womensfellowship> at D. E. Shaw Research is a small gathering of select women graduate students and postdocs who apply computation, machine learning, or theoretical approaches in chemistry, biophysics, drug discovery, or related fields. This is an opportunity for women working in these fields to make meaningful connections with other researchers from across the country, discuss their work with DESRES scientists, and explore our research projects in detail.  Fellowship attendees will come together for two days of virtual activities, including technical presentations, talks by participants, career development discussions, and networking.
To learn more please visit our website<http://www.deshawresearch.com/womensfellowship>.  To apply, please email your CV to DESRESFellowship at DEShawResearch.com<mailto:DESRESFellowship at DEShawResearch.com> with the subject line “DESRES Women’s Fellowship” by Monday, April 25, 2022. Within a few business days, you will receive an email with a link to an online questionnaire that will help us learn a bit more about you and give you the option of submitting a Flash Talk title and abstract. The deadline to submit your Flash Talk title and abstract is Friday, April 29, 2022.
If you have any questions about this event or our group, please feel free to contact Lukas Bane at Lukas.Bane at DEShawResearch.com<mailto:Lukas.Bane at DEShawResearch.com>.
D. E. Shaw Research (DESRES) is a New York–based independent research laboratory that conducts scientific research in the field of computational biochemistry. Our group is currently focusing primarily on long molecular dynamics simulations involving proteins and other biological macromolecules of potential interest from both a scientific and a pharmaceutical perspective. An integral part of our effort consists of designing and developing custom hardware and software to carry out this research, including machine learning approaches for computational chemistry and drug discovery. We are actively pursuing drug discovery programs, leveraging the insights enabled by our novel technologies to focus on drug targets that span a range of therapeutic areas. Our team includes computational chemists and biologists, computer scientists, machine learning engineers, applied mathematicians, and computer architects and engineers, all working collaboratively within a tightly coupled interdisciplinary research environment under the leadership of our chief scientist David Shaw. For more information about the group, please visit www.DEShawResearch.com<https://www.deshawresearch.com/>.

  1.  Join LBGTQ+ Services for the 2022 Lavender Graduation
When: May 5th, 2022 4 – 5PM EST
Where: Rainbow Lounge (50-250)
Details: Join LBGTQ+ Services for the 2022 Lavender Graduation on Thursday, May 5th at 4:00pm Eastern Time in the Rainbow Lounge (50-250) to celebrate our LBGTQ+ MIT undergraduate and graduate/post doc students who have graduated or will be graduating in 2022 and the wonderful things they've accomplished. This event is also open to any students who graduated in 2021 and 2020 who would like to celebrate in person. A portion of this event will be streamed live to a virtual audience for those who cannot make it in person. This event is in collaboration with our friends at MIT Alumnx Pride and the MIT Alumni Association.
Please make sure to RSVP, especially if you’re graduating/graduated so we know how to celebrate you and share within your networks. If you have any questions, please feel free to email LBGTQ+ Services at lbgt at mit.edu<mailto:lbgt at mit.edu>.
RSVP here<https://alumnxpride.alumgroup.mit.edu/s/1314/bp19/interior.aspx?sid=1314&pgid=60359&gid=178&cid=98949&ecid=98949&post_id=0>!

  1.  Apply for summer internships with MIT Dive into Healthcare Innovation and Venture Exploration Program
MIT Dive into Healthcare Innovation and Venture Exploration Program (DHIVE) [pronounced “dive”]
A Deep Dive into Healthcare Entrepreneurship
8-week Summer Internship Program June 6 – July 29, 2022
Applications are open now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply now!<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScf0g2xfbf70xXkyp7DQx2TgHyH1yeOlaBuGAjvSA1tUvA_zw/viewform>
MIT Sandbox is launching another exciting program focused on healthcare entrepreneurship! MIT DHIVE Summer 2022<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive>  invites undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in healthcare entrepreneurship to apply for an 8-week (6/6-7/29) sponsored internship program:
- Learn more about the needs and challenges of urgent health issues from the experts in the field
- Engage in ideation and team formation activities
- Transform ideas into viable solutions

DHIVE summer 2022 healthcare tracks:

  *   Down Syndrome and Similar Disabilities<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-down-syndrome> enhance the lives of people with Down Syndrome and different intellectual abilities or challenges; offered in partnership with the MIT Deshpande Center
  *   Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-ibd> - empower patients and transform the approach to the maintenance of chronic diseases; offered in partnership with the MIT Center for Microbiome Informatics and Therapeutics
  *   Long Covid and Lyme Disease<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-long-covid-lyme> – develop novel methods and technologies to address the range of issues caused by chronic infectious diseases
  *   Catalyst Health-Tech Innovation<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive-catalyst> – collaborate with Catalyst innovation teams to advance entrepreneurial health-tech projects, and engage with a diverse, international network of health care and technology leaders; a partnership with the MIT linQ Catalyst program.

Program highlights:

  *   8-week program June 6 - July 29
  *   Participation options:
     *   Paid Internship:
        *   Degree-seeking MIT graduate and undergraduate students from any department who can commit at least 20 hours/week.
        *   MIT graduate students on RAship who can devote 10 hours per week.
     *   Unpaid Internship:
        *   Anyone interested in biomedical innovation who is able to devote at least 10 hours per week.
        *   We welcome post-docs, non-MIT students, and non-students
  *   Educational talks focused on the challenges and unmet needs related to the DHIVE track
  *   Entrepreneurship-focused workshops and mentorship
  *   Opportunity to continue in MIT Sandbox<https://sandbox.mit.edu/> in the Fall.

Apply now!<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScf0g2xfbf70xXkyp7DQx2TgHyH1yeOlaBuGAjvSA1tUvA_zw/viewform>
Want to learn more?

  *   Visit DHIVE website<https://sandbox.mit.edu/dhive>
  *   Email dhive-ops at mit.edu<mailto:dhive-ops at mit.edu> with your questions

  1.  Job Opportunity at Magrathea
The start-up Magrathea, which is focused on the production of structural metals that can be effectively decarbonized through electrification and novel process technologies, is hiring<https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1022442950/?fbclid=IwAR1MmP5VR4rZgnsv5Z__doAI6Fz1uoW8BXjzzL-A62hOmvi0bOSyj1LmQhU>! They are looking for someone to fill a technical role in Ann Arbor, MI. In particular, someone with experience designing, constructing, and/or operating lab and pilot scale processes and/or who is familiar with inorganic chemistry, gas-phase chemistry, catalysis, salt chemistry, metallurgy, alloy technology, or other structural metals would be ideal.

  1.  Sign up for the Spring 2022 workshop series for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership
Workshop 5 - Thursday May 5, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144
Project Management Methodologies Part II
By Jin Wu, Lecturer, Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership
In this two-part series of workshops, we will look at an overview of different project management practices that are used in the industry. This includes Waterfall, Agile (overall), Scrum, LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. This is a good crash course for students that have little or no exposure to project management methodologies. It can also be a good overview for students that are already familiar with one or more methodologies and are curious about the other methodologies.
Workshop 2 will focus on LEAN, Six Sigma, and Spiral. Sessions are independent and you do not need to attend both.

Workshop 6 - Thursday May 5, 2022, 5:00-7:00 p.m., Room 32-144 and/or zoom
Taking charge of new roles after graduation
By David Niño and recent graduates of our program, including Funmilola Asa, Dhanush Durai Mariappan, Alison Olechowski, and Jeg Sithamparathas
Are you prepared to hit-the-ground running after graduation? Learning how to “take charge” of new roles is an important leadership capability and this final workshop will help you build this skill. It is intended for graduating students but all are welcome.  We will be joined by four alumni of our program who will share experiences transitioning to their roles and also address your questions. These include:

  *   Funmilola Asa, Leading Performance/Digital Advisor, Chevron
  *    Dhanush Durai Mariappan, Senior Engineer at GE Research
  *   Alison Olechowski, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Dean’s Spark Professor, University of Toronto
  *    Jeg Sithamparathas, Lead Product Manager, Workspace Search, Google

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!
gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Architecture, EECS, ChemE, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, NSE, CTL, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

“I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind learning.”
-Amy Poehler