[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter, January 25th, 2021

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jan 25 11:42:09 EST 2021

gwaMIT Newsletter

January 25th, 2021

gwaMIT Inauguration Statement

On January 20th, 2021, President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris were inaugurated. This day was especially momentous for womxn, with Kamala Harris being the first womxn, Black person, and Asian American person in history to assume the second-highest seat in government of the United States. We celebrate the significance of this achievement for all womxn, and especially womxn of color, and we are deeply grateful for the efforts of countless womxn before us whose tireless work paved the way for this historic outcome. This milestone is but one step in a long journey that calls upon us to believe in, evaluate, and promote practices that advance gender equity.

Mentoring & Networking Event with AMITA

Please join us on Tuesday, January 26th, 2021 at 7PM Eastern (US) for mentoring and networking, co-sponsored by the Association of MIT Alumnae: meet alumnae and fellow students, discuss careers, and create a community of support. Participants will be able to select a breakout room to start and move freely between rooms to explore other topics of interest. To help us with planning, please complete the survey of topics included on the registration form<https://amita.alumgroup.mit.edu/s/1314/bp19/interior.aspx?sid=1314&gid=20&pgid=55433&cid=90742&ecid=90742&crid=0&calpgid=49590&calcid=76196>. We will send all registered participants an email with a Zoom link a few hours before the event.

Sign Up to Help Organize the 2021 gwaMIT Leadership Conference

Sign-up link: here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeslpWipUbEgwhzM5db0LKTUGp-mo7eKrOD_tH2-WPsvYuafA/viewform?usp=sf_link>

We are currently accepting sign-ups to help plan our annual Leadership Conference, which will be held virtually from April 5th to April 9th:

* Co-Chairs: Conference Co-Chairs lead the committee members, set the conference theme, and oversee all general planning of the conference.

* Event Leads: Each conference has 4-5 Event Leads who each spearhead a single event (either an invited speaker, a panel, a workshop, etc.).

*Committee Members: attend regular meetings, contribute to theme brainstorming, logistics, publicity, and volunteer during events.

Please contact the gwaMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have any questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous conferences and events on our website: https://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit/. We look forward to working with you!

gwaMIT Secretary Position Open for Applications!

Looking for a way to get involved with gwaMIT? Join our Executive Board!

We are currently recruiting for the gwaMIT Secretary Position! The position will start in May 2021, but onboarding will be available starting in the Spring to ensure a smooth transition. The application can be found here<https://forms.gle/UAQX7JWA8pWoqkhL6>. Please fill out the application by Friday, March 5th, 11:59PM EDT.

If you have any questions, please contact us at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>.

BGSA Reimagining Policing Event

The last year has brought us a visceral moment of national reckoning with  the policies and structures that harm people of color in the criminal justice system, and the double standard of police response to different races. These events should motivate us to critically reflect on what public safety means, and how it is best achieved.

The MIT Black Graduate Student Association and the Institute Community Equity Office are proud to announce a live discussion and Q&A on campus policing and the “defund the police” movement with community organizers from Chicago, New York and Boston. The event will take place on Feb 4th, 2021 from 1 to 2:30pm ET. Attendees of this event will walk away with a deeper understanding of the “Defund the police” movement  and the information to form their own opinions about how public safety should look on a college campus.

Webinar link: http://web.mit.edu/webcast/bgsa/s21/

[BGSAReimaginingPolicing]

Did you know? Here is some womxn-related news from around the world:

Read about<https://www.glamour.com/story/the-biden-harris-white-house-plans-to-restore-america-as-a-champion-for-women-and-girls> the Biden-Harris administration’s plans to “Restore America as a Champion for Women and Girls” with a White House Gender Policy Council. Speaking of President Biden and Vice President Harris, they have selected Rachel Levine, transgender doctor<https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/19/rachel-levine-transgender-biden-hhs-pick/>, as assistant health secretary. At Tuesday’s Inauguration, 22-year old Amanda Gorman became the youngest inaugural poet in history<https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amanda-gorman-inaugural-poet-the-hill-we-climb/> with her poem, “The Hill We Climb<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/20/amanda-gorman-poem-biden-inauguration-transcript>.”

Deborah Rhode, Stanford professor in legal ethics, author, and advocate for equality and inclusion in the law, recently passed away. Read more about her life and contributions here<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/18/us/deborah-rhode-dead.html>.

Barbie is releasing a doll based on Dr. Maya Angelou<https://www.essence.com/news/dr-maya-angelou-barbie/> as part of their Inspiring Women collector series.

Read an inspiring story about an all-female team delivering COVID-19 vaccines<https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/wellness/story/female-team-delivers-covid-19-vaccines-snowmobile-harshest-75229506> to residents of rural Alaska who would otherwise not have access to the vaccine.

Events & Opportunities

  1.  MIT ICEO – MLK Visiting Scholar Virtual Luncheon (Jan. 26th)
  2.  Knowledge is Power – Financial Strategies for Women (Jan. 26th)
  3.  NE GWISE Open Meeting (Jan. 27th)
  4.  IAP Offering: Understanding Islam (Jan. 27th)
  5.  Virtual fireside chat, reading, & author Q&A: Sandra Cisneros (Jan. 28th)
  6.  Simon-Kucher & Partners Women in Consulting Event (Jan. 28th)
  7.  ColorMePhD Volume 2: Women in STEM
  8.  Pear VC PhD Fellow Application (apply by Jan. 29th)
  9.  MIT’s 47th Annual Celebration of the Life and Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Feb. 10th)
  10. MassNextGen Now Accepting Applications! (apply by Feb. 12th)
  11. Introducing Hack(H)er413 2021 (Feb. 13th)
  12. MIT Sloan’s Hack for Inclusion (Feb. 19th-21st)
  13. Apply to be a WISDM Fellow!
  14. AI Teaching and Curriculum Internship at Inspirit AI: Summer 2021 (sign up now!)
  15. "Amplify Your Technical Education to Build a Better World!” (sign up now!)
  16. Become a gwaMIT Department Rep

  1.  MIT ICEO – MLK Visiting Scholar Virtual Luncheon
MLK Visiting Scholar Virtual Luncheon with Charles Senteio, PhD
Tuesday, January 26 2021
12:00 – 1:00pm
Zoom link available upon registration<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-scholar-luncheon-with-dr-charles-senteio-tickets-136621776411>

MLK Scholar Charles Senteio will give an overview of community health informatics and how he seeks to understand how to design and use technology to address barriers to health information exchange.

Dr. Senteio’s research includes patients, their caregivers, practitioners, and institutions. He uses mixed methods and applies community-based participatory research approaches to investigations to better understand how social determinants of health may influence health behavior and technology use. He has led projects in Detroit, Flint, Dallas, and central New Jersey.

Through the MLK fellowship, Dr. Senteio is working with Boston and NJ area EMS to understand patient perceptions of risk of transport to the ER during the pandemic. He also has partnered with Sloan faculty to understand COVID-19 vaccination hesitancy by race, using validated measures to understand intraracial differences.

We are committed to making this dialogue accessible to all MIT community members. For accessibility requests, email rornitz at mit.edu<mailto:rornitz at mit.edu>.
**Click here to register for this event**<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mlk-scholar-luncheon-with-dr-charles-senteio-tickets-136621776411>

  1.  Knowledge is Power – Financial Strategies for Women

Tuesday, January 26th, 5:45-7:15 PM

Women face unique financial concerns and considerations; the income gap, longer lifespans, multiple roles and responsibilities, life changes that impact finances. Knowledge is power for navigating these dynamics – join us for an exciting MASS AWIS event where Financial Advisor Shawn Eagle will provide valuable insights about how these topics could apply to you.

Registration information about the event can be found at the following link:  https://massawis.org/event/knowledge-is-power-financial-strategies-for-women/

  1.  NE GWISE Open Meeting
NE GWiSE wishes you a Happy New Year and a resolution of renewed determination towards our mission: to support and celebrate women and gender minorities in STEM fields, to increase awareness of the issues we face, and create change within our community.
To this end, we invite all of our members to join us in an Open Meeting next Wednesday, January 27th, at 5:20PM.
We will have a short intro to NE GWISE and our plans for the upcoming year, as well as an open discussion where you can talk about your experiences in STEM, tell us what you like about what we're doing and what you want to see change.
Following this discussion, the Executive Committee will be meeting and members are invited to stay on and check out our planning process.
Please fill out our RSVP form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSclmnO-jlCRmBlFq7SlDAMxwVsbF8VYcOXQGZnRCZskJAyHHw/viewform?usp=sf_link> if you are planning to come.
We will send out Zoom invites the day before and an hour before the meeting.
We hope to see you there!

  1.  IAP Offering: Understanding Islam
Wednesday, January 27, 3 – 4pm
Islam is frequently talked about in the media, but continues to be a mystery to most people.
What is the Muslim's concept of God? The afterlife? Who was prophet Muhammad? What do Muslims say about Abraham, Moses, and Jesus? What are the core beliefs and practices of Islam?
"Understanding Islam" offers an opportunity to see beyond common misconceptions, and learn from Muslims about their fourteen-century old faith, professed by 1.8 billion people worldwide. A Q&A session is included.
This online session is open to first-timers only (people who have not previously attended similar sessions.) Space is limited.
Event Timing: Wednesday January 27th, 2021 (3-4 pm)
Register at: https://forms.gle/eEixi2LgS45CreR17
If you have any questions, feel free to email the Muslim Chaplain, Nada El-Alami, at mchnada at mit.edu<mailto:mchnada at mit.edu>

  1.  Virtual fireside chat, reading, & author Q&A: Sandra Cisneros

Mark your calendars for the next Hermanas Unidas fireside chat – this time with Sandra Cisneros<https://www.sandracisneros.com/>!

Thurs Jan 28 at 4pm – 5pm Eastern

RSVP for zoom link: tinyurl.com/cisnerosRSVP<https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_osa9x6jBTSm8Ml9fxhqteg>

Sandra Cisneros is a poet, short story writer, novelist, essayist, performer, and artist whose work explores the lives of the working-class. Her numerous awards include NEA fellowships in both poetry and fiction, the Texas Medal of the Arts, a MacArthur Fellowship, several honorary doctorates and national and international book awards, including Chicago’s Fifth Star Award, the PEN Center USA Literary Award, and the National Medal of the Arts award presented to her by President Obama in 2016. Most recently, she received the Ford Foundation’s Art of Change Fellowship, was recognized among The Frederick Douglass 200, and won the PEN/Nabokov Award for international literature.

Her classic, coming-of-age novel, "The House on Mango Street", has sold over six million copies, has been translated into over twenty languages, and is required reading in elementary, high school, and universities across the nation.

In addition to her writing, Cisneros has fostered the careers of many aspiring and emerging writers through two non-profits she founded: the Macondo Foundation and the Alfredo Cisneros del Moral Foundation. She is also the organizer of Los MacArturos, Latino MacArthur fellows who are community activists. Her literary papers are preserved in Texas at the Wittliff Collections at Texas State University.

Sandra Cisneros is a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and earns her living by her pen. She currently lives in San Miguel de Allende.

  1.  Simon-Kucher & Partners Women in Consulting Event

Are you a woman interested in a career in consulting? An ally looking to broaden your ability to support women in the workplace as you start your consulting career?

Join us, a leading global consulting firm, for an interactive virtual event where we’ll have some of our female leaders and associates at Simon-Kucher & Partners share their experience in the consulting workplace. We’ll be sharing candid experiences, learnings, advice and more with topics spanning common challenges faced in consulting, work-life balance, career progression, achievements and network-building. It will be a collaborative, open discussion intended to set women up for success in this industry.

We’ll host a panel discussion followed by breakout sessions, maximizing individual interaction and networking on Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm ET

Please RSVP below – We hope to see you there!

https://simon-kucher.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5MtaGnFTSOeLvKQPL5b63w%20

  1.  ColorMePhD Volume 2: Women in STEM

Julie Rorrer (Postdoc, MIT Chemical Engineering) founded an outreach program that creates coloring pages to communicate current PhD-level research in science and engineering, called ColorMePhD. They just released ColorMePhD Volume 2, featuring research by early-career women in STEM (including the ChemE department's own Katie Galloway and Ariel Furst). The coloring book is free to download from their website (www.colormephd.org<http://www.colormephd.org>) or directly from this link (https://bit.ly/colormephdvol2). Please check it out, and help spread the word by sharing to your friends and community, especially aspiring scientists!

  1.  Pear VC PhD Fellow Application

Pear VC has now opened applications for a PhD Fellow role at MIT. Apply here:https://forms.gle/qVZgmZP5oMRtk6rH6

Application deadline is midnight 1/29/21

The Pear Fellows<https://www.pear.vc/fellows> program is a VC apprenticeship with a leading early stage venture capital fund. Fellows collaborate directly with Pear’s investment team to discover founders, make investment decisions, and support portfolio companies‍.

The Pear VC team has founded 8 startups and has partnered early with companies now worth over $80 Billion, including Doordash, Branch, Guardant Health, and Gusto. Pear partners with founders from day zero and provide hands-on support to help build the next wave of category-defining companies. A strong belief in student founders is demonstrated by 49% of their portfolio companies being founded by students.

  1.  5. MIT’s 47th Annual Celebration of the Life and Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

All members of the MIT community are warmly invited to MIT's 47th Annual Celebration of the Life and Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.<mhtml:file://C:/Users/User1/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/CLUVEKGW/email.mht!https://www.cvent.com/api/email/dispatch/v1/click/m5gzrgzjyl2d4g/j48p8p4r/aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZkaXZlcnNpdHkubWl0LmVkdSUyRm1say1jZWxlYnJhdGlvbi0yMDIxJnV5VWFNTWZpb2NoJTJCWElpdllLNmpyRXB5OHcxU1IlMkIlMkJoZyUyRm9pZnBJUG92TSUzRCZNSVQlMjdzKzQ3dGgrQW5udWFsK0NlbGVicmF0aW9uK29mK3RoZStMaWZlK2FuZCtMZWdhY3krb2YrRHIuK01hcnRpbitMdXRoZXIrS2luZyUyQytKci4>, which will be held online on February 10, 2021 from 11:00AM to 1:00PM.

Program Information
We gather each February as a community to celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and to honor Dr. King's dual emphasis on global and local issues. The 2021 keynote speaker will be Ijeoma Oluo, author of "So You Want to Talk About Race."
Please visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Activities homepage<mhtml:file://C:/Users/User1/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/CLUVEKGW/email.mht!https://www.cvent.com/api/email/dispatch/v1/click/m5gzrgzjyl2d4g/j48p8p4r/aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZkaXZlcnNpdHkubWl0LmVkdSUyRm1say1jZWxlYnJhdGlvbi0yMDIxJnV5VWFNTWZpb2NoJTJCWElpdllLNmpyRXB5OHcxU1IlMkIlMkJoZyUyRm9pZnBJUG92TSUzRCZob21lcGFnZQ> or view the poster<mhtml:file://C:/Users/User1/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/CLUVEKGW/email.mht!https://www.cvent.com/api/email/dispatch/v1/click/m5gzrgzjyl2d4g/j48p8p4r/aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZjdXN0b20uY3ZlbnQuY29tJTJGMzhDRDI4RTY4ODVBNDY0Mzk2RjJGMTRBNEY5N0ZBRTElMkZmaWxlcyUyRmV2ZW50JTJGNTU1OGRhMjgyMWRlNDQwYWI4YTY1YzcwMDFhOTdjNmIlMkY5OWIyZjk0ZmU4YjY0MTkxYmZjZDg2MTdiMGU1MWM1OC5wZGYma1FDYkZWb0pGZ3B2THRNNlNjdWo5TTZpVFY5d0ljVHE4U1BhV1BMWjdTQSUzRCZ2aWV3K3RoZStwb3N0ZXI> for more information. Questions regarding the program should be directed to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Activities Planning Committee via email to mitmlkcelebration at mit.edu<mailto:mitmlkcelebration at mit.edu>.
REGISTER NOW<mhtml:file://C:/Users/User1/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/CLUVEKGW/email.mht!https://www.cvent.com/api/email/dispatch/v1/click/m5gzrgzjyl2d4g/j48p8p4r/aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZjdmVudC5tZSUyRnlSbER2dyZOY1Y2Qldpa01kUEVDbVh1RHdYY00yR0dBRHJYTyUyRk9ON044ZFRoblhnWHMlM0QmUkVHSVNURVIrTk9X>
Accessibility
An ASL interpreter will be provided during the 11:00AM - 12:30PM EST portion of the program. To request other disability accommodations, please contact MIT Conference Services at conferences-www at mit.edu<mailto:conferences-www at mit.edu>
Registration Questions
Contact MIT Conference Services
Email: conferences-www at mit.edu<mailto:conferences-www at mit.edu>
Phone: 617-253-1700

  1.  MassNextGen Now Accepting Applications!

We are excited to announce the Massachusetts Next Generation Initiative<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=9d56cb4e4d&e=6ec9ad8c41> (MassNextGen) is accepting applications for the fourth round of the program. MassNextGen is a five year, more than $2 million commitment to ensure greater gender parity in the next generation of life science entrepreneurs. Applications will be accepted through Feb. 12, 2021.
Awardees will receive a yearlong customized package of support, which includes non-dilutive grant funding and access to a network of seasoned Executive Coaches<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=fca638f207&e=6ec9ad8c41>. Throughout the year, entrepreneurs will work to refine their business strategies, building a toolkit to more effectively raise capital.
Together, with the support from industry partners<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=47b21f27dc&e=6ec9ad8c41> including, Takeda, King Street Properties, Sanofi, Johnson & Johnson Innovation, and most recently Mintz, MassNextGen can continue to shift the paradigm to build a diverse ecosystem with equal representation.
Since the program’s inaugural year in 2018, the MLSC has supported 16 female entrepreneurs and provided more than $1 million in funding with an executive coaching network providing 200-plus hours of coaching. Some highlights of MassNextGen entrepreneurs building their teams and progressing forward with new opportunities:

  *   First-year awardee Olaris<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=656aedf559&e=6ec9ad8c41> closed its Series A funding round in September 2019, now employing a team of seven
  *   First-year awardee, Reveal Pharmaceuticals<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=d35f7aac68&e=6ec9ad8c41> received a Fast-Track Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) award from the National Cancer Institute
  *   Second-year awardee EnVision Endoscopy<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=b33994f3f2&e=6ec9ad8c41> completed critical prototyping, while also receiving SBIR funding
  *   Second-year awardees, PhagePro and LivOnyx<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=c9d5497fa4&e=6ec9ad8c41>, were able to make critical hires
  *   Second-year awardee, Lucy Therapeutics, received a Golden Ticket at LabCentral
  *   Second-year awardee, See Yourself Health, has executed key partnerships putting them in a better position to add to customers and partners

We encourage those interested and eligible to apply<https://masslifesciences.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4c3b09db6f3e37f7e9777d2bb&id=0ed04616ed&e=6ec9ad8c41> by Feb. 12, 2021. We look forward to working with our next cohort of female entrepreneurs, coaches, and sponsors. Please email us<mailto:MassNextGen at masslifesciences.com> if you have any questions.

  1.  Introducing Hack(H)er413 2021
The Hack(H)er413 team invites you to our 2021 hackathon taking place February 13th, 2021! Hosted annually by students at UMass Amherst, Hack(H)er413 is the first all-women and non-binary student hackathon in Western Massachusetts. For the first time, we'll be hosting a virtual hackathon over the course of 8 hours on February 13th, where hackathon participants will learn and develop technical skills through informative workshops, network with sponsor company representatives, and meet other tech-minded students. Although we will not be hosting a project contest this year, we're super stoked to be able to host a larger and more diverse cohort of amazing hackers from around the world.
Hack(H)er413 is open to all-women and non-binar high school and university students interested in technology and innovation, regardless of major, coding background, age or experience. Free for all participants!
Bring your resume to interview with companies for internships and new grad jobs.

Learn more and apply by creating an account at www.hackher413.com<http://www.hackher413.com/> by January 22nd.

Click here to check out last year's recap: HackHer413 2020: Rewind<https://youtu.be/xo6z2kOO58E>

  1.  MIT Sloan’s Hack for Inclusion

MIT Sloan for Inclusion, in partnership with Hacking Discrimination, invites you to sign up for the fourth annual MIT Sloan Hack for Inclusion<http://tinyurl.com/ApplyH4I>!

The MIT Sloan Hack for Inclusion brings together some of the brightest minds -- both technical and non-technical -- to build solutions that address today's biggest problems related to bias, diversity, and inclusion. This year Hack for Inclusion will take place virtually Friday, February 19 - Sunday, February 21. Spend a weekend meeting and collaborating with other individuals passionate about issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Participants will be placed on a team and guided through the design thinking process to develop a solution to one of twelve pressing challenges, related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Challenge topics include making virtual work inclusive and accessible, activating middle management for DEI in a globally-dispersed company, closing the data gaps on unbanked populations, and more. Winning teams will receive prize money! 1st place: $5,000; 2nd place: $3,000; 3rd place: $1,000; Crowd Choice: $1,000.

When: Friday Feb 19th - Sunday Feb 21st

Who: This year the hackathon is virtual, which means we are open to anyone, anywhere - students, professionals, or anyone with a passion for DE&I.

How to apply? Sign up by January 24 at http://tinyurl.com/ApplyH4I

For more info about challenges, sponsors, and FAQ, head to our website: http://hackforinclusion.com/

  1.  Apply to be a WISDM Fellow!
The Women in Innovation and STEM Database at MIT (WISDM<https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/>) is launching a fellowship program for scientists interested in improving their public speaking capabilities. Fellows will participate in a Story Collider<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_Collider> half day workshop with personalized hands-on training from experts on effective and engaging science communication. They will also be matched to an invited speaking engagement and receive a $100 honorarium. Apply by filling out this short form<https://forms.gle/o1cKib5CYnySuSKU9> by February 6th! Current MIT graduate students, postdocs, research staff members (with < 3 years experience), and technical associates are eligible to apply. Please contact Lauren Tyger for more information: tygerl at mit.edu<mailto:tygerl at mit.edu>

  1.  AI Teaching and Curriculum Internship at Inspirit AI: Summer 2021

At Inspirit<https://www.inspiritai.com/> AI<https://www.inspiritai.com/>, we’ve taught the fundamentals of artificial intelligence to 1200+ curious high-school students worldwide. Through the AI Scholars Live<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> Online<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> program, students learn about the technical and social challenges of AI, build machine learning models in Python, and complete projects<https://www.inspiritai.com/project> applying AI to social good, from assessing bias in the social justice system to identifying the origins of COVID-19. We’re excited for our biggest program yet in Summer 2021!

We’re seeking students or recent alumni with AI/ML experience to join our instructional team this summer. As a teaching and curriculum intern, you’ll:

Teach AI to high-school students worldwide, mentoring small groups.

Help develop and improve our curriculum<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline>: for example, creating new machine learning projects or presentations about your research.

Build your skills in AI, teaching, and curriculum development.

Join the Inspirit team<https://www.inspiritai.com/team> of passionate instructors from Stanford, MIT, and more.

Receive training on teaching our curriculum and competitive compensation based on your background and experience.

Work remotely, 15-40 hours per week.

We’re looking for:

AI experience: At least one AI/ML course (like Stanford CS229/CS230 or MIT 6.036) and some AI experience in research or industry, or equivalent.

Teaching skills: experience teaching or tutoring. Bonus: experience working with teenagers, teaching CS, creating curriculum, and/or teaching remotely.

Availability on weekends May 8 - Aug. 15 or weekdays June 7 - Aug. 13 (with some flexibility). Multiple time<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> slots<https://www.inspiritai.com/liveonline> are available.

Enthusiasm for mentoring high school students across the globe and joining the Inspirit community!

If interested, please fill out this<https://forms.gle/vSCNKYq9ZxAworXZ8> brief form<https://forms.gle/vSCNKYq9ZxAworXZ8>, and feel free to email adeesh at stanford.edu<mailto:adeesh at stanford.edu>  and daniela.inspiritai at gmail.com<mailto:daniela.inspiritai at gmail.com> with any questions. Looking  forward to hearing from you!

  1.  "Amplify Your Technical Education to Build a Better World!”
Leadership education develops skills applicable across career paths, from leading research labs to leading project teams in engineering. Enroll in one or both of our Graduate Engineering Leadership Courses for Spring 2021, which qualify towards our Certificate in Technical Leadership.<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements> This certificate is designed to provide important skills that MIT graduate students can draw from to "make a positive difference" in their chosen careers. Grounded in research but experimental and engaging in delivery, these highly valued classes will provide enduring benefits for our graduate students – and future coworkers.*PhD candidates can also explore the option of using these class to satisfy the requirements for your doctoral minor.
Graduate Engineering Leadership Courses for Spring 2021 (**Open to all grad students!):
6.928J Leading Creative Teams<http://gelp.mit.edu/grad-creative-teams>
It takes a team to deliver impactful technical achievements and this class equips students with foundational skills for leading problem-solving teams and one’s own professional development.
M/W, 2:30-4pm EDT | Virtual | Units: G3-0-6
Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>)
6.S979 Multi-Stakeholder Negotiation for Technical Experts<https://gelp.mit.edu/6s979-multi-stakeholder-negotiation-technical-experts>
Expand your natural tendencies and learn experientially both the theory and practice of interpersonal negotiation, influence and overcoming difficult relationship situations.
T, 2-4pm EDT | Virtual | Units: G2-0-4 |
Instructors: Samuel (“Mooly”) Dinnar (sdinnar at mit.edu<mailto:sdinnar at mit.edu>)
***For more information, visit our website. <https://gelp.mit.edu/grad>
*If you are interested in earning our certificate, please email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu<mailto:lstag at mit.edu>) and David Niño (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>)

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!

gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Sloan, ChemE, Arch, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, Writing, NSE, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE, CCE, CTL, EECS. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

“What I want young women and girls to know is: You are powerful and your voice matters.”

-Vice President Kamala Harris