[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Upcoming Events and Opportunities!

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 15 17:39:41 EST 2021

Dear gwaMIT Community,

Please find descriptions below for some great events and opportunities coming up soon!

Sincerely,

The gwaMIT Exec Board

Celebration of Black History Month with gwaMIT
When: February 25th, 7 PM ET (virtual via Zoom)
Event Details: An important component of dismantling interpersonal racism - racism which occurs between individuals - is taking the initiative to become more informed. With this event, we hope to facilitate learning about black history while simultaneously building community. We will focus on the achievements of Black womxn! Each participant is invited to choose from the provided list<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QPT2eq8O0y2X56RBA_0WFeNK3AicgEQZApZRFJizw2I/edit?usp=sharing>, or pick someone not listed to present for about 1-2 minutes during the event. The way you present this information is up to you! Those that RSVP will receive a $20 grubhub gift card to enjoy dinner during the event. Come to teach and learn from others about many of the amazing Black Womxn who have impacted our society. Event limited to 25 people (there will also be a waitlist), please register here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSehIWlfcMh7ZkXWKkc8dQxihyGERWtFEs_mCbe8jQDD8xVn1w/viewform?usp=sf_link>.

Post Doc and Graduate Student Recruitment for gwaMIT Black Womxn in Science Panel
When: April 30, 2021 12-1:15 PM
Details: gwaMIT is organizing an event to highlight Black Womxn in science at MIT and beyond -- this will be in the form of a panel with faculty, industry professionals, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students. The event will be held on Friday April 30 from 12 PM to 1:15 PM ET. We are hoping to have 1-2 post doctoral fellows and 1-2 graduate students share their experience at MIT. During this panel, there will be a brief introduction by the panelists followed by small breakout rooms where each panelist will be in a group with ~5 graduate students for questions and discussion. Lunch will be reimbursed.

If you are interested in participating and/or have suggestions for this event, please reach out via email to gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>. In addition, if you think a friend of yours would be interested you can nominate them by emailing us or forward them this information so that they can contact us if interested.