[gwaMIT] gwaMIT Newsletter: December 13, 2021

gwaMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Dec 13 10:42:50 EST 2021

gwaMIT Newsletter
December 13th, 2021

Become a member of the gwaMIT Executive Board!
Want to get involved with gwaMIT, build your network, and collaborate with an incredible community of womxn graduate students? Apply to be part of the 2021-2022 gwaMIT Executive Board! We are currently focused on recruiting for the Conference, Membership, and Outreach Chair positions. The application form is available here<https://forms.gle/D5rUT277SfCmxrxA7>. There is a link to the official descriptions in the application form.

Did you know? Womxn-related news from around the world

Documentary filmmaker Bronwen Parker-Rhodes<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/07/opinion/teen-puberty-just-girls.html> has interviewed teenage girls about their experiences going through puberty in her newest Op-Doc, in an effort to normalize sharing about that experience more openly.

Germany gets its first gender-equal<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/world/europe/germany-olaf-scholz-cabinet-women.html> cabinet, with half of positions held by women.

MIT PhD student Lucy Du designs prosthetics and aims to inspire others<https://news.mit.edu/2021/lucy-du-engineering-1207> to pursue bioengineering.

Darlene Hard, an outspoken and independent-minded tennis star<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/sports/tennis/darlene-hard-dead.html>, and the top-ranked American woman from 1960 to 1963, passed away on December 2nd.

Events & Opportunities

  1.  Attend Odyssey’s Hackathon for underrepresented students (December 17th-18th)
  2.  Job Opportunities at Generally Intelligent (apply now!)
  3.  Internship Opportunity at The Blunt Company (apply now!)
  4.  Join the WISDM community of innovators!
  5.  Join the MITxHarvard Women in AI Group!
  6.  Become a gwaMIT Department Rep!

  1.  Attend Odyssey’s Hackathon for underrepresented students
When: December 17th-18th, 2021
Details: Odyssey's Hackathon for underrepresented students is a perfect opportunity to connect with top employers, learn from workshops, meet professionals and other students, and enjoy building a project that could win prizes up to $2,000!
Members can claim their free spot today here: https://join-odyssey.com/hackathon-students?refer=gwamit-exec@mit.edu

  1.  Job Opportunities at Generally Intelligent
Kanjun Qui, a former MIT student, runs an AI research company called Generally Intelligent<https://generallyintelligent.ai/>, and they have opportunities for graduate students and postdocs! Generally Intelligent is hiring<https://generallyintelligent.ai/#careers> a small number of in-person ML Research Engineers and remote Systems Engineers. Previous ML experience is not required, but strong software engineering skills are. Generally Intelligent is a research startup investigating the fundamentals of deep learning to build human-like general intelligence. They take a scientific, first-principles approach with inspiration from psychology and neuroscience, evolving simple self-supervised architectures to tackle human developmental milestones of increasing complexity. They have significant funding to freely pursue our research goals over the next decade. If you’re a strong software engineer fascinated by this subject, please email Kanjun Qui at kanjun at generallyintelligent.ai<mailto:kanjun at generallyintelligent.ai>

  1.  Internship Opportunity at The Blunt Company
Are you a current student looking for an IAP paid internship? Are you interested in being an early member of a woman owned E-commerce company gone tech startup?
We are The Blunt Company. Redefining the word “Blunt”. To be Blunt is to be your unique self, true to who you are, and empower others to do so too. Our audience is particularly young women. In an age where social media has gone rogue, the effects of the algorithms are bleeding over into our personal lives and there has never been a mental health epidemic like what we as young adults are experiencing today. Blunt aims to aid in this war on our psyches by creating a safe place mobile application for young women to connect with one-another.
We are looking for an intern to work alongside our other developers to help with programming our mobile app. Interest and experience are weighed equally, so please still apply if you don't meet exactly what we're looking for.

Mobile App Development Responsibilities:

  *   Knowledge of (or interest in learning) Swift, Javascript, and/or Objective-C.
  *   Work with our co-founders to build out the UX and front-end of our beta v2. Collaborate with co-founders to make sure the details of the designed wireframes are being captured correctly and bring our product to life.
  *   Build user needs into product design.
  *   Bonus if you have experience with Web Development for our e-commerce customer facing end: experience designing, developing, and launching websites à Shopify and Shopify app add-ons
Knowledge of UI/UX and user-centered design principles for a direct-to-consumer (DTC) product.

Please message our CEO Mahtab at mahtab at bluntcases.com<mailto:mahtab at bluntcases.com> at your earliest convenience. Do not hesitate to reach out with questions.
We hope to start as soon as possible, and be looking for a proposal from the applicant as far as timeline, expected total number of hours, etc. We would pay via sandbox funds provided by the university for the duration of the internship, at the Institute’s maximum allowable maximum rate of $15.00/hr."

  1.  Join the WISDM community of innovators!
You’re invited to join WISDM<https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/> - a platform designed to increase visibility of women and all underrepresented gender diverse individuals in innovation and STEM and reduce barriers to collaboration. You can learn more about WISDM here<https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/about-wisdm/>, but in short:
The Women in Innovation and STEM Database at MIT (WISDM) <https://innovation.mit.edu/wisdm/> is a curated searchable database of women in STEM and Innovation at MIT that makes it easy to find talented and diverse innovators to speak at events, collaborate on new ventures, or serve as key opinion leaders on emerging technology. It’s more than a website – it’s a community that elevates and promotes the visibility of MIT women.

Join the community of innovators by creating your WISDM profile<https://mitii.news/WISDMprofile>, and be the first to find out about relevant events in MIT’s new hub for innovation — InnovationHQ<https://mitii.news/ihq>!
Sign up for InnovationHQ after hour access<https://mitii.news/ihqafterhours> to have easy access to the space and join the student newsletter.

  1.  Join the MITxHarvard Women in AI Group!
Are you interested in Artificial Intelligence? Curious about neural networks, reinforcement learning, or neuro-symbolic approaches? If you don’t know what any of those are, but want to learn, think, and discuss not only the technical side of machine learning and AI, but the ethics of AI and applications to biomedicine, cognitive science, environmental sciences, and more, then we’d love to have you join the MITxHarvard Women in AI Group!

  1.  Become a gwaMIT department rep!
gwaMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a gwaMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Architecture, EECS, ChemE, PolSci, HASTS, Humanities, NSE, CTL, CCWCE, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with gwaMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in gwaMIT's activities and initiatives.

“What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
-Jane Goodall