[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter - Special Edition, Pride Month

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Fri Jul 3 08:13:06 EDT 2020

[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/EL1hiCSvjre5SA71sAcbsigfNHSF-Yp9ksLzTTsGOMuBSbFrSqjDVP2CL6jZr_eJ42sSPNNChBzwBugewcdcrVp4Pem2VYfDYWqevGQyinw95MDelZU9tVQ9uLTqvBbO21r6AdzO]
Dear GW at MIT Members,

As Pride Month comes to a close this week, we wanted to share some articles, podcasts, and other resources to enrich our ongoing discussions about diversity and acceptance within the MIT community. GWAMIT is committed to ensuring that we create a supportive environment for all women-identifying and non-binary graduate students at MIT. If you have suggestions for content you would like to see featured, please email our exec board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>.

Please be safe and enjoy the July 4th weekend.

GW at MIT Exec Board

GSC-DEI Allyship Guide
The recent murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery have raised awareness of the lack of anti-Black racism action and allyship with groups underrepresented in academia within the MIT community. While many departments and the Institute as a whole have begun to host discussions on these topics, we believe that change must occur in every single research group at MIT in order to be lasting and meaningful. In order to help research groups engage in effective discussions around anti-racism and allyship that culminate in specific actions, the Graduate Student Council Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee created an Allyship Guide for Research Groups<https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F12NROxh7DxGVdBNORBr_OBpCR9CHrpx-v%2Fview%3Fusp%3Dsharing>, along with a companion how-to<https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F11wxi7XlaHIhZ8102qBUBNr8dXs6akB4w%2Fview%3Fusp%3Dsharing> for students leading their research groups through the guide. While the guide is by no means comprehensive, we hope it provides a useful starting point.

Something to read...

Pride in the wake of Black Lives Matter. Read this article from The Atlantic on the responsibilities we have to hold corporate sponsors accountable
Pride Can't Go Back to What It Was Before<https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/nyc-queer-liberation-march-showed-future-pride/613648/>

Brazilian model and actress Valentina Sampaio is Victoria Secret's first openly transgender model, and the first trans woman featured on the cover of Vogue Paris. Read about her comments on the marginalization of the trans community in Brazil
"We Demand Respect:" Valentina Sampaio on Protecting Brazil's Trans Community<https://www.vogue.com/article/valentina-sampaio-pride-protecting-trans-rights-interview>

Jari Jones, Black Trans Model, is the new face of the Calvin Klein 2020 Pride Campaign:
Black Trans Model Jari Jones Fronts Calvin Klein 2020 Pride Campaign<https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/black-trans-model-jari-jones-024747035.html>

If you're anything other than straight, travelling to a foreign country can pose unique and intimidating challenges. Read this perspective on travel as a member of the LGBTQ+ community
The Importance of Visiting LGBTQ+ Businesses While Traveling<https://www.cntraveler.com/story/the-importance-of-visiting-lgbtq-businesses-while-traveling?verso=true>

This new rule from the US department of Housing and Urban Development is going to make it a lot harder for the homeless transgender population find safe shelters
HUD Rule Would Dismantle Protections for Homeless Transgender People<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/us/politics/hud-transgender.html>

Something to watch,,,
Watch this eye-opening documentary about the interplay between the representation of trans lives in the media and the reality of trans lives in our society:
DISCLOSURE | Netflix Original Documentary | June 19 Release<http://www.disclosurethemovie.com/>

Something to listen to...
The "QueerWOC" podcast - hosted by Black feminist, activist, and organizer Nikeeta and mental health expert Money - brings the joy of a conversation between friends to important educational discussions on the intersections between Blackness and queerness today. This is a "space for queer women and folks of color rooted in reimagining healing, organizing, and community." Listen here:
Queer Women of Color<https://queerwoc.com/>

Something to do....
At least four Black trans women were murdered<http://www.newnownext.com/merci-mack-brayla-stone-black-trans-women-killed/07/2020/> in the month of Pride 2020 alone. We say their names to remember and honor them: Dominique "Rem'mie" Fells,  Riah Milton, Brayla Stone, and Merci Mack. Find out how to support Black trans lives in this moment here:
Where to Donate to Support Black Trans Lives<https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a32870451/how-to-help-black-trans-lives-donate/>

Check out these resources for finding and supporting queer businesses:
Eat Queer<https://www.eatqueer.com/>
"A free community-driven directory of queer food & drink establishments"

Equity at the Table (EATT)<https://equityatthetable.com/about/>
"EATT is a database for food industry professionals featuring only women/gender non-conforming folks and focusing primarily on POC and the LGBT community."

Financial planning tips for LGBTQ+ couples from Fidelity:
            Financial planning | Tips for the LGBTQ community | Fidelity<https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/financial-planning-LGBTQ?ccsource=email_weekly>