[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, August 24th, 2020

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Aug 24 12:30:34 EDT 2020

GWAMIT Newsletter

August 24th, 2020

Did you know? Here is some womxn-related news from around the world:

Has wokeness replaced compassion with moral superiority? Ayishat Akanbi is a London-based stylist. Listen to her take on The Problem with Wokeness<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-WimRb2jXs>. Read her Guardian interview here: 'My problematic ideas are my favourite ones'<https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/feb/26/ayishat-akanbi-my-problematic-ideas-are-my-favourite-ones>

A blog post by Sister STEM: As scientists, we need to stop using harmful and misleading terminology<https://sisterstem.org/2020/07/29/as-scientists-we-need-to-stop-using-harmful-and-misleading-terminology/>

Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, recently interviewed <http://glmr.co/3OiAmJt> Emily Ramshaw, CEO of The 19th*<https://19thnews.org/about/>, as part of a virtual summit. They discussed many important topics, including the Black Lives Matter movement and the importance of voting.

Lt. Col. Elman<https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/world/africa/iman-elman-woman-Somalia-army.amp.html> broke through patriarchal barriers to become one of the top ranking officers in Somalia's army. She is the highest ranking womxn in their military and is one of 900 womxn total in a 25,000-person force.

Meet the all-female team<https://www.rollettesdance.com/meetus> who inspires others with amazing dance routines. Their mission statement: "Women Empowering Women with Disabilities to Live Boundlessly and Shift Perspectives Through Dance."

COVID-19 Resources

GWAMIT has compiled a list of resources we are aware of to help graduate women in our community. If you know of a resource that isn't listed, please let us know (gwamit-exec at mit.edu) so we can include it in the next newsletter to share with the community.

MIT Grant for Graduate Students with Children - applications due by September 30th!

https://oge.mit.edu/finances/grad-student-fin-assist/grad-students-with-children-grant/

Expanded back-up child care policy: https://hr.mit.edu/worklife/backupchildcare

MIT Ombuds Office - ombudsoffice.mit.edu<http://ombuds.mit.edu/>

The Ombuds Office is available to offer support and assistance to the MIT community in navigating these challenges and exploring constructive options for success. We are available for phone or Zoom meetings and can also facilitate online sessions and group discussions to help teams function and support good communication skills during this challenging period.  To schedule a meeting via phone or Zoom email kalina_s at mit.edu or call 617-253-5921.

Graduate student short-term emergency hardship funding: https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/step/1?Guid=b180ffce-c28f-41f6-908b-387637df6396

GSC DEI open letter for COVID-relief: https://mitgradstudentadvocates.weebly.com/

MIT Summer Opportunities & Resources: https://resources.mit.edu/summer

MIT has created a dedicated website for COVID-related updates: https://now.mit.edu/

Stay at Home Recommendations:

Something to do...  Consider finding a virtual volunteer position! We have a number listed below. Help a new organization build more inclusive sizing<https://fitforeverybody.com/>, become a mentor to local Boston Youth,<https://www.mindsmatterboston.org/mentors> seek out more interesting opportunities online!

Something to read...

Fiction: Read historical fiction by female author, Ruta Sepetys<http://rutasepetys.com/>. Her books tell the stories that are often underrepresented or forgotten in history. As a starter, consider reading, "The Fountains of Silence<https://www.amazon.com/Fountains-Silence-Ruta-Sepetys/dp/0399160310>" which covers the lives of impoverished young adults in Spain, contrasted with the view of privileged Americans visiting for vacation, under Franco's dictatorship.

Non-Fiction/Memoir: Memorial Drive, by Natasha Trethewey<https://www.harpercollins.com/products/memorial-drive-natasha-trethewey?variant=32123696480290> (Pulitzer winner, former poet laureate of the United States) . A chillingly personal and exquisitely wrought memoir of a daughter reckoning with the brutal murder of her mother at the hands of her former stepfather, and the moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of a tragedy.

Here's a new release you might consider pre-ordering: Sitting Pretty: The View from my ordinary resilient disabled body, by Rebekah Taussig<https://www.amazon.com/Sitting-Pretty-Ordinary-Resilient-Disabled/dp/0062936794>. Ableism is rooted in our culture, more strongly than you may realize. How many books, movies or news stories have you read from a disabled person's point of view? Read Rebekah Taussig's powerful article here<https://time.com/5881597/disability-kindness/>, where she talks about the many ways we fail to acknowledge the actual needs of disabled people, even when we think we are 'being kind'. She also tells us what we can do to make a difference.

Looking to borrow books without leaving the house? The Minuteman library network is doing temporary online membership which can be applied for here<https://library.minlib.net/selfreg>!

Something to watch... 'Straight Up' on Netflix.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuTL1U4B69Q> This film tackles modern sexual orientations and expectations, following a (currently identifying) gay man and a straight womxn embarking on a relationship. Read a full film review on the New York Times.<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/movies/straight-up-review.html>

Watch social scientist Stacy Smith's fast-paced TED talk<https://www.ted.com/talks/stacy_smith_the_data_behind_hollywood_s_sexism> where she analyzes how Hollywood underrepresents and portrays women, and how we as viewers can play a role in changing the stark statistics (which has slightly improved since her 2016 talk, as reported here<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/movies/movies-starring-women-and-people-of-color-continue-to-surge.html>).

Something to listen to... the DNC was this past week and had a number of womxn speakers.<https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/powerhouse-lineup-women-speak-ahead-kamala-harris-dnc/story?id=72482781> Listen to Michelle Obama's<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKy3iiWjhVI> speech, or Elizabeth Warren's<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ZYxpmSyls> or any number of the impressive womxn on this list.<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/us/politics/dnc-convention-live.html>

Listen to this Code Switch podcast<https://www.npr.org/2020/06/23/882551486/the-undocumented-americans> on author Karla Cornejo Villavicencio's book The Undocumented Americans<https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/558229/the-undocumented-americans-by-karla-cornejo-villavicencio/>. In it, she seeks to highlight the stories of undocumented Americans that aren't Dreamers...they're the construction workers, the cleaning staff--the day laborers. Their stories aren't perfect and that's what makes it so critical to give them a voice.

Something fun... Make a jar of movies you have never seen before! For a starting list see the most recent ones<https://www.insider.com/movies-female-directors-women-directed-this-year-2020-1#numa-perriers-new-movie-jezebel-explores-sisterhood-and-the-cam-girl-industry-in-the-early-days-of-the-internet-1> by womxn producers and directors, and keep an eye out for those on the list yet to be released!

Virtual Events & Opportunities

GWAMIT Mentoring Program

With the start of the semester, the GWAMIT Mentoring Program has opened applications for womxn graduate students to be matched with a mentor. In the program, you will be matched with a mentoring group of up to three graduate students and a mentor from industry or academia. Most of our mentors are women and MIT alumni, and mentoring groups talk about everything from picking a lab to finding a job to imposter syndrome and mental health!
Graduate women mentees are encouraged to meet with their mentoring group every month, and will have access to our program Slack to network with other mentoring groups.
If you are interested in participating as a mentee this school year, please fill out the survey<https://forms.gle/xRieFKxBxBHLz6ba6> by Friday, September 11th.
Please email gwamitmentoring at gmail.com<mailto:gwamitmentoring at gmail.com> if you have any questions or want more information.

Mentees will be able to enter preferences for mentors based on mentor profiles that will be distributed soon. Mentees will be given priority in selecting a mentor in the order you fill out the above survey, so please don't wait!

Fit For Everybody - Call For Volunteers

Everybody is improving women's clothes sizing and fit based on real women's bodies. By having women take and submit their measurements, Everybody will advise women's apparel designers how to improve their garment sizing to be more inclusive and accurate.

Everybody is looking for female-identifying volunteers to take and submit their measurements from home through our website. All shapes, sizes, and ages over 18 are welcome and encouraged to participate. Participants will be entered to win a luxury gift.

Our website is www.fitforeverybody.com

Our Facebook is @fitforeverybody2

Our Instagram is @_fit_for_everybody_

Our Twitter is @FitEverybody

MindsMatterBoston - Call for Volunteers

Minds Matter Boston is a college access organization that pairs mentors with first-generation, low-income high school students from local communities to support them to prepare for, apply to, and succeed in college. As part of our general recruitment efforts, we are intentional about recruiting mentors who reflect the backgrounds of the young people we work with, mainly first generation to college and/or people of color.  We take responsibility for creating a diverse and inclusive space for our students and believe that this is only possible when we have more volunteer leaders who reflect, celebrate, and affirm the multi-dimensional identities of our students. There is more info at Minds Matter Boston online<https://www.mindsmatterboston.org/mentors> as well! If anyone is interested in learning more, they can email our Program Associate, Jada Alexander (jada.alexander at mindsmatterboston.com) and set up a call to discuss the mentor position further.

MIT Catalyst 2021

Catalyst brings together innovators and researchers with diverse backgrounds to work in teams on identifying unmet medical and healthcare system needs, brainstorm and evaluate potential solutions, and plan research project proposals for subsequent execution.

Recognizing that healthcare needs across the United States are diverse, for the first time, we are able to expand the Catalyst program to include regions outside of the Boston area. The Catalyst<https://mit.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ad626be7146423020fe0b48e&id=f35f273412&e=910b57630b> 2021<https://mit.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ad626be7146423020fe0b48e&id=3c5dc78139&e=910b57630b> program is open to 3 geographic hubs--Boston, Memphis, and Salt Lake City. We welcome applicants from any institution in these regions (or from any applicant who is able to relocate to one of those regions in 2021).

We seek a multi-talented cohort of individuals with interest and willingness to spend time in research, innovation, and health including engineers, scientists, clinicians, designers, entrepreneurs, MBAs, early-stage professionals, postdocs, fellows, graduate students, clinical, and other professional degree candidates, etc. ALL are invited to apply!

We note that for Catalyst 2021, MIT will continue its partnership with the US Department of Veteran's Affairs, thus providing the program with a very rich ecosystem to support research and innovation that advances human health.

Learn more and start your application<https://mit.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ad626be7146423020fe0b48e&id=0f87da3f5a&e=910b57630b>

Attend an Information Session!: We will be hosting live online Information Sessions on August 14 and 25 to provide more details about the Catalyst 2021 program, the Catalyst methodology from MIT linQ, and the application process, for potential candidates, their supervisors, or innovation managers at research centers, hospitals or universities, to learn more and ask questions.

Register for August 25, 4pm-5pm ET<https://mit.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5ad626be7146423020fe0b48e&id=5b408d4d1b&e=910b57630b>

Correlation One  East Coast regional Datathon

Hosted by Citadel LLC and Citadel Securities in partnership with Correlation One, the Data Open is launching the Fall season with East Coast Regional Datathon<https://www.citadel.com/careers/the-data-open/apply/>, which will take place virtually this September!

The Data Open challenges students from the world's best universities to tackle real-world social challenges in topics such as urban traffic, renewable energy, and education.

Taking place between September 14-21, teams will have a week to work on their submissions, with the flexibility to showcase their skills on their own schedules. Top performing students have the opportunity to win $25,000 in cash prizes, exclusive recruiting opportunities with Citadel, and global recognition.

When: September 14 - September 21

Where: Virtual

Prizes: $25,000 + Exclusive recruiting opportunities with Citadel LLC and Citadel Securities

Here's the link to sign up<https://www.citadel.com/careers/the-data-open/apply/>!

If you have any questions or would like to learn more about the event, feel free to email roysi at correlation-one.com.

New Student Advocates for Survivors Group

Student Advocates for Survivors, or SAS, is a new student group advocating for better MIT policy supporting survivors and educating students about reporting and support options. This includes advocating for more training for all students and staff around responding to sexual assault, as well as advocating for better Title IX policy and mental health resources at MIT.

We are looking for more people to join us! Here is a list of projects we are beginning to work on. If you are interested, add yourself to sas at mit.edu here. Anyone is welcome to join regardless of your past experiences.

Additionally, if you have any ideas of what we can do to support survivors, please fill out this anonymous form. Feel free to also share any experiences with Title IX, VPR, S3, etc.

Department of Energy Resources Job Opportunity - Emerging Technologies

The Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources Emerging Technology Division is currently hiring a Program Coordinator to support our electric vehicle and Clean Cities Coalition programs. This is a great opportunity for someone at the early stage of their career looking to gain experience in energy policy focused on electric vehicle and infrastructure deployment, the interaction of electric vehicles with electricity rates, energy resilience, and grid support. While the focus will be on electric vehicles and the Clean Cities program, the position will also be involved other projects, programs, and policy development related to clean energy emerging technologies like energy storage. You can find the job posting here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__massanf.taleo.net_careersection_ex_jobdetail.ftl-3Fjob-3D2000052Q-26tz-3DGMT-2D04-253A00-26tzname-3DAmerica-252FNew-5FYork&d=DwMFAg&c=lDF7oMaPKXpkYvev9V-fVahWL0QWnGCCAfCDz1Bns_w&r=SUJ0tmD2TxBovaoBCr21o-OoRDEaTwnylQ5HExAKRTk&m=Mk6Xh1bwaEKJIM-9H9OflrskonPGniTmQ6Y3uYxj1-o&s=MunM8Y9EOQBReBIc20wM9DlEfgZdCNmb1qrE3mCoGcY&e=>.

The Department of Energy Resources has a commitment to help create a clean, affordable, and resilient energy future for the Commonwealth. Within that commitment is an underlying aim to actively support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the work we do and in our own workplace. The ideal candidate would be committed to developing a strong understanding of the importance of intersectional environmentalism within the work done at DOER, the criticality of incorporating a diverse perspective in all of the work that we do, and a commitment to inclusivity in all aspects of the job, both internally, within DOER, and externally, among partner agencies, industry stakeholders, and the general public.

Upcoming WEST Events

9/23: WEST's 20th Anniversary/12th Annual Awards Celebration<https://www.westorg.org/2020-09-23-20th-anniversary-awards-networking>

9/24: Women and Wealth: Setting Your Course to a Strong Financial Future<https://www.westorg.org/2020-09-24-women-wealth-financial>

9/30: Gender Parity Panel Discussion<https://www.westorg.org/2020-09-30-gender-parity-panel>

10/6: Making better decisions: Pre-mortem analysis and other cognitive tools for better outcomes in life, love, and work<https://www.westorg.org/2020-10-06-better-decisions>

10/7: Book Club - The Likeability Trap<https://www.westorg.org/2020-10-07-book-club-likeability-trap>

"Amplify Your Technical Education to Build a Better World!"

Our Graduate Program in Engineering Leadership is offering a Graduate Certificate in Technical Leadership. A summary of the interim certificate requirements<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-students/graduate-certificate-technical-leadership-interim-requirements> is linked and attached.

Leadership education develops skills applicable across career paths, from leading research labs to leading project teams in engineering. Enroll in one or both of our Virtual Graduate Courses for Fall 2020, which qualify towards our Certificate in Technical Leadership. This certificate is designed to provide important skills that MIT graduate students can draw from to "make a positive difference" in their chosen careers. Grounded in research but experimental and engaging in delivery, these highly valued classes will provide enduring benefits for our graduate students - and future coworkers.  *PhD candidates can also explore the option of using these classes to satisfy the requirements for your doctoral minor.

GEL Virtual Grad Courses for Fall 2020 (**Open to all grad students!):

6.928J Leading Creative Teams<https://gelp.mit.edu/grad-creative-teams>

It takes a team to deliver impactful technical achievements and this class equips students with foundational skills for leading problem-solving teams and one's own professional development.

Units: G3-0-6, M/W, 2:30-4pm

Taught Virtually, Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu)

6.S978 Negotiation & Influence Skills for Technical Leaders<https://gelp.mit.edu/gel-grad-negotiation>

Expand your natural tendencies and learn experientially both the theory and practice of interpersonal negotiation, influence and overcoming difficult relationship situations.

Units: G2-0-4, T, 1-3pm

Taught Virtually, Instructor: David Nino (dnino at mit.edu)

***For more information, visit our website. <https://gelp.mit.edu/grad>

*If you are interested in earning our certificate, please email Lisa Stagnone (lstag at mit.edu) and David Niño (dnino at mit.edu<mailto:dnino at mit.edu>)

GCWS Upcoming Virtual Events

GCWS is hosting several panels this summer that have been organized by an interdisciplinary team of graduate student organizers from across our member institutions. This was originally intended to be our SP20 graduate student symposium<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/technologies-of-resistance> but has been reinvented into separate panels due to campus response to COVID in March 2020. These panels are free and open to everyone.

Pedagogies of Resistance: Sharing Knowledge as a Political Act

August 27, 2020 at 10:00-11:30AM, More Info<https://www.gcws.mit.edu/gcws-events-list/technologies-of-resistance-pedagogies>, Register Here<https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4p-E6N5NTcOOFDQjixfxSw>

This panel will reflect and discuss means to implement conscious pedagogies of resistance, or critical pedagogy in the classroom and beyond. both in and out of the classroom. Panelists will share how they draw on the political through their teaching, in the subjects they teach, or the methodologies they utilize.

Speakers include:

·     Kat Tanaka Okopnik, The Dictionary of Social Justice

·     Laura Nelson, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Northeastern University

·     Brooke Foucault, Associate Professor of Communication Studies, Northeastern University

·     Brandy Williams, Graduate Researcher in Early Modern Critical Race and Gender Studies, University of Maryland at College Park

Become a GWAMIT department rep!

GWAMIT is accepting applications for the position of department representatives! As a GWAMIT department rep, you'll build connections across MIT and help in the personal & professional development of graduate womxn. It is also a powerful means to bring about department-level change and strive towards a more equitable and inclusive MIT. The position lasts for one year, with an option for renewal. Read more about the role and responsibilities here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BepM4QWy2tUO7ju1dkIOt69lb9wJb_DIs9Us_ljVqUA/edit>. Fill out the short application form here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfxO1KrUGe7rS_tvZsAW8jOOMFNBnv5BdAi4ssn1svoKUqV9w/viewform>. Womxn who are members of underrepresented and minoritized groups are encouraged to apply. The departments with openings are: Course 4, 6, 10, 15, 17, HASTS, 21, 21W, 22, CMS, CSB, MAS, CRE, CCE, CTL. If the position is currently filled, but you are still interested in being involved with GWAMIT, email us to let us know! We have multiple avenues for engagement in GWAMIT's activities and initiatives.

Charitable Giving

Are you donating to black-led organizations? Read this awesome post <https://sisterstem.org/2020/06/23/black-women-in-stem-are-doing-the-work/> by Netia McCray, founder of Mbadika (prepare yourself for some amazing Rihanna gifs!)

Netia McCray is an MIT alum<https://www.businessinsider.com/mbadika-founder-netia-mccray-black-panther-youtube-2018-3>! Her local, Boston-based nonprofit organization Mbadika<https://mbadika.org/>, which helps kids become "makers" and realize their creative dreams with the equipment and technology support to make it happen.

Mbadika isn't currently accepting donations on their website, but Netia recommends several peer organizations that work to support URM representation in STEM. Consider donating to: INTech Camp<https://intechcamp.org/about/> , Vanguard STEM<https://conversations.vanguardstem.com/> , The Glover Center<https://www.degetc.org/> , and The Fab Lab<https://www.thefablab.com/>.

"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

-Jane Goodall