[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, Oct. 28th, 2019

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 28 08:33:01 EDT 2019

[cid:image001.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]
[cid:image002.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]<gsc.mit.edu/gwamit>[cid:image003.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>[cid:image004.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>[cid:image005.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>[cid:image006.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Events overview:
GW at MIT events:

  1.  GW at MIT 10-Year Anniversary Empowerment Conference (Oct. 28th-Nov. 1st)
  2.  10 Years of GW at MIT: The Founders' Perspective (Oct 28th)
  3.  GW at MIT Treasurer Position (apply now!)
Women-related events and opportunities:

4.     "We The People!: Building a More Equitable, Just and Inclusive America" by LaTosha Brown (Oct. 31st)

5.     Cheney Room & Ombuds Workshop: Navigating Conflict Constructively (Nov. 1st)

6.     Girls Day at MIT Museum (Nov. 2nd)

7.     Community Forum on Preventing and Responding to Sexual Misconduct (Nov. 5th)

8.     Intimate Resistance: Migration, Memoir, and Queer Latinidad (Nov. 7th)

9.     Women in Science and Engineering Mentoring Evening (Nov. 7th)

10.  Cheney Room Lunch with MIT Recreation (Nov. 8th)

11.   Finding Common Ground: Art-based gender workshop at HGSE (Nov. 8th)

12.  The Imposter Phenomenon (Nov. 15th)

13.  Friendship & Dating in the US, Navigating MIT (Nov. 19th)

14.  Score 3 Venture Fellowship (Applications now open!)

Did you know...?
MIT professor Esther Duflo was one of the recipients of a 2019 Nobel Prize in Economics<https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/2019/summary/>. She is the youngest person and second woman ever to win a Nobel in economics.  Congratulations, Professor Duflo!
[See the source image]
Photo from: http://economics.mit.edu/<http://economics.mit.edu/nimages/207>

[cid:image008.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]

1.     GW at MIT 10-Year Anniversary Empowerment Conference
GW at MIT's Empowerment Conference is coming up and this year we're celebrating our 10-year anniversary. A calendar with conference events is below and more details and RSVP information can be found at our Empowerment Conference website<https://gwamit2019fallempowerment.wordpress.com/>. Hope to see you there!
[cid:image009.jpg at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]

2.   10 years of GW at MIT: The Founders' Perspective
When: Monday, Oct. 28th, 5:30-6:30PM
Where: 32-155
RSVP: here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/10-years-of-gwmit-the-founders-perspective-tickets-75900888601>
Come learn from a panel of GWAMIT founders about their experiences at MIT and beyond. Refreshments will be served.
[cid:image010.jpg at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]

3.    GW at MIT Treasurer Position

The primary responsibility of the GWAMIT treasurer is to manage and maintain the budget and financial records of GWAMIT. The treasurer drafts and maintains the annual budget, determining desired spending for the organization's flagship and regular events. This key position on the board ensures that GWAMIT runs smoothly and can efficiently and effectively support women through a wide variety of activities and initiatives.

Our current GW at MIT Treasurer, Annie, will be stepping down next year, but would like sufficient time to train the new treasurer. If you are interested, please contact Annie directly. Her bio and contact information are included below.

Annie is a dual-degree masters student in MIT's Urban Studies & Planning and Science in Transportation departments. Her research focuses on city planning for autonomous vehicles. Prior to her time at MIT, she worked as an energy policy analyst and researcher at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington DC and as a communications guru for Scoville PR in Seattle. As the treasurer of GWAMIT, she ensures that the organization runs smoothly and can keep on doing the work that it does throughout the year.

awhudson at mit.edu<mailto:awhudson at mit.edu>

[cid:image011.png at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]

4.   "We The People!: Building a More Equitable, Just and Inclusive America" by LaTosha Brown

When: Thursday, Oct. 31st, 6-8:30PM

Where: Sidney Pacific Graduate Residence, Multipurpose Room

RSVP: here<http://tinyurl.com/MIT-CoSI-Brown>

America's political landscape is shifting in ways that threaten democracy. We are currently witnessing: the shifting of the perception and function of the Executive Branch, the increasing over-reach of Presidential powers, the politicization of the Supreme Court, the intentional reduction of the role of federal agencies in state oversight, an increased polarized Congress based along party lines, and the stacking of the federal courts with conservative ring-wing judges. What is the role of citizens in protecting and creating democracy during this political moment? We are bearing witness to the passage and implementation of deeply troubling policies, state-sanctioned acts, and legislation that impact the civil and human rights of immigrant groups, women, people of color and the LGBTQ community. In light of these political changes, we must ask ourselves several critical questions: 1.) How do we implement innovative practices and new political organizing models to reverse this trend? 2.) How do we reinforce and expand America's commitment to democracy? 3.) How does the lack of civil discourse between people from various backgrounds and different political ideologies impact the future of democracy in America? And most importantly, 4.) what is our individual responsibility to protect democracy during this political era?

LaTosha Brown is an award-winning organizer, philanthropic consultant, political strategist and jazz singer with over twenty years of experience working in the non-profit and philanthropy sectors on a wide variety of issues related to political empowerment, social justice, economic development, leadership development, wealth creation, and civil rights. She is the co-founder of Black Voters Matter Fund, a power building southern-based civic engagement organization that played an instrumental role in the 2017 Alabama U.S. Senate race. Ms. Brown is the principal owner of TruthSpeaks Consulting, Inc., a philanthropy advisory consulting firm in Atlanta, GA. For more than 25 years, she has served as a consultant and advisor for individual donors, government, public foundations, and private donors. Throughout her career, Ms. Brown has distinguished herself as a trusted expert and resource in political strategy, rural development and special programming for a number of national and regional philanthropies. She is the founding project director of Grantmakers for Southern Progress.

[https://images.localist.com/photos/31567931194819/huge/e2e80361c9d4e6b812c6bb5caaf7da8dca3fa41a.jpg]

5.   Cheney Room & Ombuds Workshop: Navigating Conflict Constructively

When: Friday, Nov. 1st, 12-1PM

Where: Margaret Cheney Room (3-310)

Learn how to navigate conflict from Ombudsperson Judi Segal. This workshop will help you to have difficult conversations and to advocate for yourself. You will also learn about the Ombuds Office and how

they can support you if you are having problems in your lab, department, with your housemates, etc. The MIT Ombuds Office works with all members of the MIT community, including students, faculty, staff in all sectors, and alumni, to constructively manage concerns and conflicts related to your experience at MIT.

6.   Girls Day at MIT Museum

When: Saturday, Nov. 2nd, 10AM-5PM

Where: MIT Museum

Girls Day celebrates women who are exploring, researching, and innovating in fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). Offered twice a year, our fall program Exploring Our Watery World looks at nautical science and engineering.

Meet women researchers from MIT and other local universities and companies. Find out what inspires them, and hear their thoughts on the future. The day includes demonstrations, presentations, and hands-on activities.

This family-friendly event is recommended for ages 10 and up, but all are welcome. Free with MIT Museum admission.

7.   Community Forum on Preventing and Responding to Sexual Misconduct

When:  Tuesday, November 5th, 4PM

Where: 10-250

Includes updates from the MIT working groups charged with responding to the National Academies' Report on Sexual Harassment

News article: here<http://news.mit.edu/2019/MIT-takes-action-sexual-misconduct-survey-1015>

MIT AAU Campus Climate Survey Data: here<http://web.mit.edu/chancellor/aau/2019-AAU-Survey-Data-Tables-for-MIT.pdf>

Survey for ideas, suggestions, and perspectives about work with the NASEM working groups: here<https://mit.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4SJI5W0DDZOfQMt>

8.   Intimate Resistance: Migration, Memoir, and Queer Latinidad

When: Thursday, Nov. 7th, 4:30PM

Where: 1-190

Read the book and join the conversation!  Join us for an evening with Daisy Hernández, the author of MIT Reads<https://libraries.mit.edu/mit-reads/>' fall selection.

Daisy Hernández is the author of the award-winning memoir A Cup of Water Under My Bed, coeditor of Colonize This! Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism, and the former editor of ColorLines magazine. She has reported for The Atlantic, The New York Times, and Slate, and she has written for NPR's All Things Considered and CodeSwitch. Her essays and fiction have appeared in Aster(ix), Bellingham Review, Brevity, Dogwood, Fourth Genre, Gulf Coast, Juked, and Rumpus among other journals. A contributing editor for the Buddhist magazine Tricycle, Daisy is an Assistant Professor in the Creative Writing Program at Miami University in Ohio.

Event Details:

Book signing, 4:30pm. (Books will be available for sale at this time)

Author talk and Q&A, 5:30pm.

This event is sponsored by the MIT Libraries, Hermanas Unidas, Title IX & Bias Response, the Sloan School of Management, Office of Multicultural Programs, LBGTQ+ Services, Women's and Gender Studies, Literature, CMS/W, Global Languages, and the Institute Community and Equity Office.

Your participation is important to us: the Libraries will be providing CART Services<https://www.nad.org/resources/technology/captioning-for-access/communication-access-realtime-translation/> for this event (available on a monitor in the event room or via mobile device), but please let us know<mailto:ninadm at mit.edu> by October 24th if you require any other accommodations to join us.

[https://images.localist.com/photos/31388186283342/huge/73d7028ad5aaa8f4f0d840d5f430e0b74676dbb3.jpg]

9.   Women in Science & Engineering Mentoring Evening

When: Thursday, Nov. 7th, 5-9PM

Where: Museum of Science (1 Science Park, Boston, MA, 02114)

Register: here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/women-in-science-and-engineering-mentoring-evening-registration-71695466069>
November is the Museum of Science's Women in STEM month.
On November 7th, the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Committee at the Museum of Science, will host its Mentoring Evening for college women in STEM majors.
The Mentoring Evening kicks off with a thoughtful panel from highly selected, dynamite women willing to share their successes and challenges. Following the panel, students will divide into breakout sessions such as How do I find a mentor, and does it need to be a woman?; Large Corporations vs. Small Start-ups; and What's Next? Grad/Med/Law School or Gap Year? hosted by female STEM professionals who will serve as mentors to help guide and answer questions.
Students will receive museum passes for coming, free dinner, and priceless advice!
If interested, please register here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/women-in-science-and-engineering-mentoring-evening-registration-71695466069> or through the Facebook event page<https://www.facebook.com/events/museum-of-science-boston/women-in-science-engineering-mentoring-evening/2439026969756072/>.
Panelists include: Cait Crawford, Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research; Christina Gordon, Co-founder and Executive Director, Women's Foundation of Boston; and awaiting confirmation from Reshma Kewalramani, incoming CEO (April 2020), Vertex Pharmaceuticals , the first female CEO of a large biotech company.
The panel is moderated by Kara Miller who hosts a very popular radio show, Innovation Hub, which can be heard on over 100 stations. https://www.wgbh.org/news/people/kara-miller

[cid:image014.jpg at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]

10.      Cheney Room Lunch with MIT Recreation

When: Friday, Nov. 8th, 12-1PM

Where: Margaret Cheney Room (3-310)

Come for lunch and learn about all that MIT Fitness has to offer. Assistant Fitness Director Estelle Gyimah, from MIT Recreation, will talk about the various fitness classes, workshops and services that her department offers. We will also ask for your ideas for meditation and wellness workshops for the Cheney Room.

11.       Finding Common Ground: Art-based gender workshop at HGSE

When: Friday, Nov. 8th, 4:30PM

Where: Gutman Conference Center (GCC 1), Harvard Graduate School of Education

RSVP: here<http://www.bit.ly/GenderPeace>
Graduate India Student Association (GISA) is organizing Gender Peace series to initiate conversations at the intersection of gender and education. I am designing and facilitating the first event, an interactive art-based workshop. Join us in this attempt to explore our gender biases and to co-create a vision for the future for ourselves and for our community.
If you have any other questions/comments, write to me at amittal at gse.harvard.edu<mailto:amittal at gse.harvard.edu>.

[cid:image015.jpg at 01D58D6A.4BC6B0A0]

12.      The Imposter Phenomenon

When: Friday, Nov. 15th, 12-1PM

Where: E19-202

RSVP: here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfzkU0nrN7-sjDxD4abxdZHls_C0819qb2gPfVlc4HaJRtWDA/viewform>

Presented by Maryam Khodadoust in Student Mental Health & Counseling. Do you make excuses about your successes? ("I'm just lucky, was at the right place at the right time, anyone could have done it." Etc). Do you remember every failure and review it like a crime scene--over and over again your head? Do you procrastinate on academic work that matters to you? Have you held back from submitting a paper for publishing or conference or grant? You may be suffering from Imposter Phenomenon. Learn about this phenomenon and strategies to keep it from hijacking your academic experience.

13.      Friendship & Dating in the US, Navigating MIT

When: Tuesday, Nov. 19th, 5-6:30PM

Where: E19-202

RSVP: here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfzkU0nrN7-sjDxD4abxdZHls_C0819qb2gPfVlc4HaJRtWDA/viewform>

Presented by Vienna Rothberg, Violence Prevention & Response (VPR)

14.      Score 3 Venture Fellowship

The Fellowship is for graduate students interested in careers in Venture Capital or Private Equity and who identify as Women, People of Color, or LGBTQ. They work on real deals in a volunteer, immersive experience within a real angel group.

[Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.14.50 PM]
Apply TODAY to become a Score 3 Venture Fellow!
Who: Current MBA students who identify as women, People of Color, and/or LGBTQ
What: Gain access to working with angel groups on flow, operations and real deals
Why: Student is interested in working in VC/PE and angel groups are seeking quality, diverse talent
(Apply here<https://www.s3angels.org/score_3_fellows>)
The WHY:
The goal of the Venture Fellowship is to prepare undeniably talented individuals to be leaders in the VC/PE space. It's hard for all entrepreneurs to raise funding, but it's even tougher for Women, People of Color and LGBTQ People. Over time, as the "Funders" become more diverse, so will the "Funded."
Our Founder has been an active angel investor for many years, and after successfully exiting his software firm in Washington, DC, he launched the Score 3 Angels as a nonprofit with the mission of broadening access to funding and the power to fund.
The Details:
Venture Fellow work on real deals in a volunteer, immersive experience within a real angel group for one year. The expectations for excellence will be high, but those that are truly committed to breaking into the VC/PE space will recognize the value of this opportunity.
Fellows WIN:  They get to work on real deals, work with 50 to 60 angel and venture investors, and get real experience that will help them enter the world of Venture Capital.
Society WIN: When we get many more diverse voices on the investment side of the industry, they will make more investments in diverse founders.
Founders WIN: Diverse founders will have a network of friendly angel groups and venture firms that we can route them to on their quest to raise funds and other forms of social and knowledge capital.
Requirements:
- Identify as one or more: Person of Color, Woman, or LGBTQ
- Must have tremendous hustle!
- Current MBA candidate Strongly Preferred (or, will start an MBA program in the Fall)
- Must be willing to learn!
- Must have a passion for startups and venture investing!
- Have a strong desire to help others!
- Did we forget to mention...must have tremendous hustle!
Duration of Fellowship: 1 year minimum (2 year max)
<https://www.s3angels.org/>Deadline: We'll evaluate candidates on a rolling basis, and match them with a local (or remote) angel group.
Application and more information about the Score 3 Venture Fellowship here<https://www.s3angels.org/score_3_fellows>.
Replies can be sent to Marinna Kus (mk at score3.org<mailto:mk at score3.org>) and myself, Bethany Bolte (bb at score3.org<mailto:bb at score3.org>)