[GWAMIT] Newsletter, May 14th, 2019

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 13 10:58:24 EDT 2019

 Graduate Women at MIT Weekly Newsletter

*Graduate Women @ MIT*

*Newsletter, **May 14th, 2019*
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT:*

1. Our GW at MIT board has officially transitioned!
2. GW at MIT and LGBT Grad - Ice Cream Social (May 17th)

*WOMEN-RELATED EVENTS:*

3. Graduate Peer Career Advisor Program Pilot (now!)
4. Score 3 Foundation is seeking venture fellows (now!)
5. Graduate Assistant position open for the Margaret Cheney room (now!)
6. Couples and Money: What's Love Got To Do With It? (May 15th)
7. Inequity on the Journey & in the Field (May 15th)
8. Free AAUW online salary negotiation workshop (anytime
*Did you know about...?*

*The Women in STEM Database at MIT (WiSDM)*

   - The Women in STEM Database at MIT is an initiative designed to promote
   the visibility of women in our academic community.

   - WiSDM is a searchable online database of MIT women, making it easier
   to find talented speakers for talks, panels, news stories, and outreach
   events.

   - WiSDM is currently building its database, and includes MIT faculty,
   postdocs, research staff, and graduate students from all STEM fields.

   - Make your voice, your story, and your perspective a part of the
   conversation by joining WiSDM today!

*Contact: *ritur at mit.edu

*The Storied Women of MIT: *

*Jennifer N. Rudd*

*Click here <https://youtu.be/JU55SQi53WM> to see a video about her*

*GW at MIT event details*

*1. Our GW at MIT board has officially transitioned!*

*We would like to thank our previous board for their tremendous efforts
last year:*

*Previous board:*
Co-chairs: Yinying Ren and Molly Bird
Advocacy Chair: Sarah Goodman
Secretary: Juncal Arbelaiz
Publicity Chair: Nicole Aponte
Membership Chair: Swati Kataria
Events Co-chairs: Vrindaa Somjit and Elizabeth Harwood
Treasurer: Annie Hudson

*Please join us in welcoming our new board, who hope to continue the great
work:*

*New board:*
Co-chairs: Stephanie Kong and Jennifer Hu
Advocacy Chairs: Rachel Soble and Garima Sharma
Secretary: MayLin Howard
Publicity Chair: Saeyoung Rho
Membership Chair: Molly Bird
Events Co-chairs: Vrindaa Somjit and Wei Wei
Conference Chair: Sophia Wu
Treasurer: Annie Hudson
*2. GW at MIT and LGBT Grad - Ice Cream Social*

*When: *May 17th, 3:00-5:00PM
*Where:* Building 50, 250

*Women-Related event details*

*3. Graduate Peer Career Advisor Program Pilot*

*Apply: *here <https://forms.gle/wYr3NzKZ7fs8U6qz7>

The Graduate Peer Career Advisor Program Pilot is looking for two graduate
students to help provide career support next year as Graduate Peer Career
Advisors (GPCAs). The GPCAs assist MIT students during individual career
appointments and advise on topics such as resumes, CVs, and cover letters.
GPCAs have the opportunity to receive training in career and professional
development topics and strengthen their own communication and interpersonal
skills, while serving as career ambassadors to other MIT students.
*4. Score 3 Foundation is Seeking Venture Fellows*

*Apply: *here <https://www.s3angels.org/score_3_fellows>

The Score 3 Venture Fellowship is an immersive experience offering Women,
People of Color and LGBTQ people access to participate in the work of an
angel group or venture firm.

We're looking for Women, People of Color, or LGBTQ People to take part in
our Venture Fellowship. As Fellows they'll work on real deals in a
volunteer, immersive experience within a real angel group. Everyone wins in
this partnership!

Score 3 seeks to break down barriers that exist in the VC/PE industries,
and we're excited to include select organizations like yours in our efforts.
*5. Graduate Assistant Position open for the Margaret Cheney Room*

The Student Activities Office is currently looking for a Graduate Assistant
to provide oversight for the Margaret Cheney Room and women’s programming
that happens within and outside the space.

*6. Couples and Money: What's love got to do with it?*

*When: *May 15th, 12:00-1:30PM
*Where:* Building 26, 3189

Presenter: *Ina Bachman*, L.I.C.S.W., T.I.W.C., C.E.A.P.; Founder and
Coach, Bachman Coaching
This seminar will examine the powerful impact money has on relationships.
During this discussion, you will:

Analyze how couples think and communicate about money
Understand why couples fight about money
Explore simple tactics for avoiding money roadblocks that may affect your
relationship
Receive advice around building a resilient partnership that can withstand
financial concerns and challenges

*Register*
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/couples-and-money-whats-love-got-to-do-with-it-registration-54358978167>
*7. InEquity on the Journey & in the Field*

*When: *May 15th, 3:00-4:15 PM
*Where:* Building 2, 143
*Register: *sign up on CareerBridge <http://Careerbridge.mit.edu>
How do race, gender, class, ability, sexuality and other dimensions of
identity show up in your experiences as a Prehealth student at MIT? How
will these dimensions interact with your medical school experience and
later on in your role as a health professional?

Join Prehealth Advising and the *MIT Health Equity Club* as we discuss
these questions and more.
*8. Free AAUW online salary negotiation workshop*

*Register: *sign up here
<https://salary.aauw.org/salary-negotiation/?utm_source=AAUW%20internal%20social%20media%20toolkit&utm_medium=social%20media&utm_campaign=%235GradsYouKnow&utm_content=Work%20Smart%20Online>

Chances are, you deserve a raise. This free online course will give you the
tools you need to successfully negotiate and close the pay gap for women
everywhere. Register today!

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
this list.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu

This email was sent to << Test Email Address >>
*why did I get this?*
<https://gwamit.us14.list-manage.com/about?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=50eef1f240&e=[UNIQID]&c=f5fbe259d1>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://gwamit.us14.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=50eef1f240&e=[UNIQID]&c=f5fbe259d1>
    update subscription preferences
<https://gwamit.us14.list-manage.com/profile?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=50eef1f240&e=[UNIQID]>
GW at MIT · 77 Mass Ave · Cambridge, Ma 02139 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&afl=1>