[GWAMIT] GW@MIT Newsletter, June 11th, 2019

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Jun 11 17:12:18 EDT 2019

[cid:image001.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]
[cid:image002.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]<http://www.gwamit.org/>[cid:image003.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>[cid:image004.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>[cid:image005.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>[cid:image006.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Events overview:
GW at MIT events:

  1.  GW at MIT Summer Reads & Listens
  2.  Apply for the NE GWiSE Board (now!)
  3.  Sign up to help plan NE GWiSE’s 2019 Retreat (now!)
  4.  Afternoon coffee + Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum with GW at MIT! (June 29th)
Women-related events:

  1.  The Sound of Pride: FISI @ The Gardner (June 20th)
  2.  She+ Geeks Out Networking Event (June 25th)
  3.  Boston Consulting Group Women’s Breakfast (June 28th)
  4.  8th Annual U.S. C3E Poster Competition (deadline Sept. 1st)

Did you know…?
The #KuToo movement was recently started in Japan to challenge high heel requirements in office dress codes. Learn more here<https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/06/05/national/labor-minister-opposes-banning-female-dress-codes-high-heels/>.
[See the source image]

[cid:image008.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]

1.     GW at MIT Summer Reads & Listens
This week’s picks:
Podcast: Harvard Business Review’s Women at Work<https://hbr.org/2018/01/podcast-women-at-work>, Season 1, Episodes 3&4
Article: “Addressing <https://sisterstem.org/2018/10/10/addressing-my-mental-health-issues-saved-my-scientific-career/> my mental health issues saved my scientific <https://sisterstem.org/2018/10/10/addressing-my-mental-health-issues-saved-my-scientific-career/> career<https://sisterstem.org/2018/10/10/addressing-my-mental-health-issues-saved-my-scientific-career/>” by Christa Trexler
If you have a suggestion for a podcast or article, please contact us here<mailto:mfunkenb at mit.edu?subject=GWAMIT%20Summer%20Reads%20&%20Listens%20Suggestion>.

2.    Apply for the NE GWiSE Board – a few positions still open!
Deadline: Thursday, June 13th at 5PM

•        Description of exec board positions and officers here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vZpTmAgNrLCKcn2dk7JML3M7uWyDRJEKVRyoVO_3oU0/edit?usp=sharing>!
Exec Board Application form: https://bit.ly/negwise-apply

•        Still recruiting for Outreach Chair, Advocacy Chair, and MIT Rep!​
Officer Signup form: https://bit.ly/2HGvWFu
Check out our website: https://negwise.wordpress.com/
[cid:image009.png at 01D52078.CE67A140]
Contact us if you have any questions at new.england.gwise at gmail.com<mailto:new.england.gwise at gmail.com> or talk to your school’s rep at mbird at mit.edu<mailto:mbird at mit.edu>!

3.    Sign up to help plan NE GWiSE’s 2019 Retreat!
Date of Retreat: Saturday, August 10th at Tufts Medford
Deadline for signup: Monday, June 24th at 5PM

·       Sign up here<https://forms.gle/2Fik5LBu8cukvxuZ6> to help us on the planning committees! The description of the different committees can be found here<https://tinyurl.com/y5olxql8> or in the sign up link. This is a great opportunity to get some event planning and leadership experience, get to see how we work as a group, and make some awesome contacts across New England!

·       NE GWiSE is having its third annual Summer Retreat! This year the focus is on diversity, inclusion, and intersectionality. The goals of the retreat are to recap the previous year, provide professional development workshops related to the theme of the year, and socialize/network across universities. As such, the day will include an inspiring keynote speaker, a mixture of workshops, social hour, and more!
Email mbird at mit.edu<mailto:mbird at mit.edu> if you have any questions!

4.   Afternoon coffee + Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum with GW at MIT!