[GWAMIT] Upcoming GWAMIT and POWER events!

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Thu May 3 11:43:57 EDT 2018

Hello GW at MIT!

Hope you're enjoying the heat wave! We have a few important things for you below that are coming up soon including some awesome GW at MIT events in early May (RBG Film + Boba, Happy Hour with women from Malaysia's Asia School of Business). Hope to see you at the events!

Next week we will also be transitioning some of our leadership so look out for an email with information on the new exec board!

Best,
GW at MIT Board

1. Happy Hour with visiting women from Malaysia's Asia School of Business
When: Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 at 7pm
Where: Meadhall
Sign up now!: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/happy-hour-at-meadhall-with-visiting-women-from-asia-school-of-business-tickets-45499597521

Interested in working in or making connections with Malaysia? Want to catch up with your fellow GW at MIT members while meeting women from the other side of the world? Join GW at MIT in welcoming women from Sloan's partner school, Asia School of Business, to Boston! Light appetizers and 1 drink ticket per person will be available!

2. May First Friday: RBG Film + Boba! - Look out for an email if you're on the waitlist- we may have last minute spots open up!
When: Friday, May 4th, 2018, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM EDT
Where: Meet at Bon Me to grab bubble tea, film starts 7pm at Kendall Square Theatre
Sign up: Sold out!

Come join GW at MIT for our May first Friday event! RBG is a new documentary film about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. "An intimate portrait of an unlikely rock star: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. With unprecedented access, the filmmakers explore how her early legal battles changed the world for women."

Meet at 6:30 at Bon Me for Boba and to pick up your ticket for the 7 pm showing. Please sign up to be allocated a ticket - limited supply!

3. Learn to Lead and Follow: Salsa Class! - postponed until June!
When: Late evening during first week of May, exact day and time TBD
Where: TBD
Sign up: Coming soon once details are set! Event will be free and we encourage everyone to attend (men too!)!

4. POWER Seminar with Dr. Jessica Goodmann, former postdoctoral fellow at the Whitehead, now Director of Corporate Alliances at Harvard
When: Friday, May 18 at 3:00 – 4:30 pm
Where: Seminar room 4-149 [http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=4]
Sign up: https://goo.gl/forms/Uj0JiT9l8oSumwPp2

Organized by the Postdoctoral Organization for Women Engaged in Research (POWER)
Sponsored by the MIT Postdoc Association (PDA) Postdoc Initiative Grant (PInG) and a grant from the Committee on Race and Diversity (Category: Diversity & Inclusion)

POWER’s professional career development seminars focus on the speaker’s personal experiences, insights into their current work, as well as work-life integration issues. Dr. Goodman will discuss what has contributed to her success, the challenges she has overcome, and advice for current postdocs. We hope that the interactions will assist postdocs in navigating their careers and will also help them build professional connections.

Speaker bio:
Jessica leads the Corporate Alliances team at Harvard’s Office of Technology Development (OTD). Harvard’s Corporate Alliances team is dedicated to maximizing the value of research alliances by facilitating productive relationships between the faculty at Harvard and partners in Industry.
Prior to joining Harvard in 2016, Jessica was a Scientist in the Neurology Department at Biogen where she developed cell-based assays to understand disease mechanisms in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). Jessica also worked as a Senior Program Officer at Prize4Life, a non-profit dedicated to accelerating the discovery of a cure for ALS. Jessica was a NIH NRSA postdoctoral fellow at the Whitehead Institute where she used yeast to study neurodegenerative diseases. Jessica received her B.S. in Biochemistry from Nazareth College of Rochester and her Ph.D. in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry from Yale University.

Please note: The professional and socio-cultural activities of POWER are open to the entire MIT community. POWER does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.