[GWAMIT] TONIGHT @ 5pm at BU: Rally Against Sexual Assault, Harassment and Misconduct in Higher Ed

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:05:32 EDT 2017

As you might have seen or heard, Science
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sciencemag.org_news_2017_10_disturbing-2Dallegations-2Dsexual-2Dharassment-2Dantarctica-2Dleveled-2Dnoted-2Dscientist&d=DwMFAw&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=jaxVRdI5oUbcbwrn8ul5nBwYyLvmSQWHPJrbSLdqVYI&m=jzUZAnfvnueeDCR3KxLy80Mi6JUcSm-IrECFMx2qTdY&s=mKrViVDDYOSi0V5XmKSFuC88c7V-pKvRDMvYx8H-7Ik&e=>
published
an article on Friday about the chair of BU's Earth & Environment
Department. It concerns a major Title IX investigation for alleged abuse
and harassment of women graduate student workers and researchers under his
supervision. Sexual harassment, misconduct, and assault are ongoing
problems in academia. Therefore, the BU Graduate Worker Union is organizing
a rally not in response to this particular event, but to address the larger
issues around sexual misconduct in academia. As members of the scientific
community, we would like to encourage all MIT students to add your voice!

*Speakout and Rally Against Sexual Assault, Harassment, and Misconduct in
Higher Ed*
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_events_122493281791341_&d=DwMFAw&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=jaxVRdI5oUbcbwrn8ul5nBwYyLvmSQWHPJrbSLdqVYI&m=jzUZAnfvnueeDCR3KxLy80Mi6JUcSm-IrECFMx2qTdY&s=mDmpAQi05RdiEk3RtI6MC1fNEzCb8D_WiOH0kTQ_MC0&e=>
*When: **Wednesday, October 11, 5:00 PM*
*Where: Metcalf Science Center Plaza*

Why: To join BU in solidarity, to publicly acknowledge that we know that
sexual assault, harassment, and misconduct are systemic problems in higher
ed, to show the BU administration and the greater higher education
community that we see them not doing enough to protect students and
workers, and to demand that they institute policies that achieve real
justice and safety; to unite a coalition of  groups on campus; to recognize
the power of collective bargaining for establishing and maintaining
protections for student workers; and to show the community that we are
committed to seeing an end to campus sexual violence and discrimination.

You can read MIT's GSC statement on Title IX/Sexual Harassment here:
http://gsc.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/IWD_2017_Statement_Sexual_Assault.pdf