[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of May 8, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 8 01:56:21 EDT 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of May 8, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=c5cba62c22>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
May 8, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*

*MIT:*
1. IBM Watson Round-Table Talk (May. 9)
2. MIT S&PC Refugee Project (May. 10)
3. MIT-AoPS Math Jam (May. 11)
4. [MITWGS] My Sister's Keeper Film Series (May. 12)
5. Happy May from the Cheney Room! (May. 12-18)
6. MIT $100K Launch Finale (May. 17)

*Outside MIT:*
7. D. E. Shaw Exploration Fellowship 2017 (May. 19)
8. [MASS AWIS] She prevailed: the secrets to start-up success in STEM from
women entrepreneurs (May. 23)
9. New England Future Faculty Workshop at Northeastern University (May. 23)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

As we approach the end of the semester, there are still a number of events
around campus. Take a look at our announcements to find out about them!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************
************** MIT **************

*1. IBM Watson Round-Table Talk*
*When:* Tuesday, May 9th, 5:30PM
*Where:* 75 Binney St. Cambridge
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc2u9EofAgzv5f3I60lSw-OvAH3t_IBK7vbxSmDoHzM2nD-uw/viewform?c=0&w=1>
Come to IBM Watson Health's Cambridge office to hear from accomplished
professionals on everything from climbing the workplace ladder to being a
part of management or engineering at IBM.
Interested in management, machine learning, biotech, or simply how to
navigate the workplace?
Come to the beautiful IBM Watson Health Office in Cambridge (just past
Tatte) to hear from the General Manager of Watson Health Imaging, an
Advisory Software Engineer, an Offering Manager, and an Associate Offering
Manager.
*2. MIT S&PC Refugee Project*
*When:* Wednesday, May 10, 3:00PM - 6:00PM
*Where: *MIT Building E23 fourth floor
*3. MIT-AoPS Math Jam*
*When: *Thursday, May 11th, 7:30PM - 9:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building W20-303
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9rKW3mDmCBQlbRJiYhenPh1eXJkJOrwxU6CgscuZchO3E0A/viewform?c=0&w=1>
Inform, advise, and engage in discussion with the next generation of math
superstars!
SWE Tech will be hosting a Math Jam (essentially a webinar) with the Art of
Problem Solving (AoPS), to answer questions students have about MIT and
SWE! Attendance will likely reach around 500, with the group consisting of
middle and high school students from around the world. As temporary AoPS
class instructors, we’ll work together to lead a large-scale online
discussion, possibly delving into puzzle-type mathematical or computational
problems if time permits. Let’s make this event a special one for these
motivated, driven AoPS kids!
*4. [MITWGS] My Sister's Keeper Film Series*
*When:* May 12
*Where:* MIT Building 3-270
Friday April 28th: The Revival: Women and the Word, directed by Sekiya
Dorsett, chronicles the US tour of a group of black lesbian poets and
musicians.
Friday May 12th: A Place of Rage, directed by Pratibha Parmar, is an
exuberant celebration of black women featuring interviews with Angela
Davis, June Jordan and Alice Walker.
*5. Happy May from the Cheney Room!*

*6. MIT $100K Launch Finale*
*When:* Wednesday, May 17th, 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
*Where:* Kresge Auditorium | 48 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-100k-launch-finale-tickets-32824917211?aff=outreach>
Join us for the biggest night of the year!
LAUNCH is the namesake event of the MIT $100K Entrepreneurship Competition,
where teams compete live for the chance to win $100,000!
Come watch the best and brightest from across MIT pitch their business
ideas in front of fellow students, faculty, investors, and entreprenuers
from MIT, Cambridge, Boston, and beyond. Network with like-minded
entreprenuers and inventors, and immerse yourself in the start-up community
at MIT.
Don't miss your chance to attend--get your (free) ticket today!!
************** Outside MIT **************

*7. D. E. Shaw Exploration Fellowship 2017*
*Deadline: *May 19
*Info:* link <https://deshawexplorationfellowship.com/>
*Apply*: careers at deshaw.com <http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/>
We’re excited to announce D. E. Shaw Exploration Fellowship 2017, a unique
educational opportunity taking place at our New York City headquarters from
July 19 to 20. Given that women are underrepresented in the global
alternative investment industry, we specifically designed a program in an
effort to bring together talented and intellectually curious women enrolled
in Ph.D. programs. These women will receive an introduction to our firm,
insights into our rigorous approach to finance, and several professional
and social networking opportunities. By engaging with a cross section of
people at the firm, from recent Ph.D. graduates to senior leaders, these
women will learn about the challenging problems on which we work, as well
as the transition from academia to finance. Participants will receive a
$2,000 stipend, accommodations, and travel to and from New York City.
*8. [MASS AWIS] She prevailed: the secrets to start-up success in STEM from
women entrepreneurs*
*When: *Tuesday, May 23rd, 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
*Where:* Mass Innovation Labs, Cambridge, MA
*Register:* link <http://mass-awis.org/events/startup-success_may2017/>
*9. New England Future Faculty Workshop at Northeastern University*
*Deadline:* May 26
*Register:* link
<http://www.northeastern.edu/advance/recruitment/future-faculty-workshop/>
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu