[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of June 5, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jun 5 20:03:00 EDT 2017

GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=966d498bc4>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
June 5, 2017
------------------------------
*FROM THE BOARD*

Dear GW at MIT Members,

It may not feel like it, but summer is (technically) here! We hope you have
fun and exciting sun-filled days ahead of you. As always, there are lots of
opportunities to get involved with GW at MIT throughout the summer, so be sure
to check them out!

The GW at MIT Board
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Apply to be GW at MIT Publicity Chair! (now)
2. Join us at the Mentoring Program Committee! (now)
*MIT:*
3. MIT School of Engineering Communication Lab: Summer Institute (July.
24-28)
4. Middle Eastern Dance Class (Tuesdays)
5. Tango for Beginners (Mondays)
*Outside MIT:*
6. Join academics across America in signing a statement on climate change
(now)
7. Mentoring as a Catalyst: Reception and Book Release Celebration with Dr.
Stacy Blake-Beard (June 20)
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************** GW at MIT **************

*1. Apply to be GW at MIT Publicity Chair*
*When:* Now
*Apply:* gwamit-exec at mit.edu <gwamit-mentor at mit.edu>
Are you passionate about social-media engagement? Are hashtags, snaps and
insta your jam? Do you have creative marketing and communication skills? Do
you want to apply these skills at an organizational scale? Join GW at MIT as a
Publicity Chair!

The responsibilities of the Publicity Chair will include:
- Managing and updating GW at MIT's social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook,
Instagram as well as blog and website)
- Designing promotional materials (such as posters, flyers, banners) for
official GW at MIT events and conferences
- Attend weekly board meetings and have fun with the rest of the awesome
board members!

If you're excited about helping GW at MIT become social-media savvy and gain
greater visibility on campus, please email us at gwamit-exec at mit.edu
<gwamit-mentor at mit.edu> with a short description of the following:
1) Who you are (name, year, department)
2) What experience you have with publicity, marketing, or managing social
and digital content (even if it is personal!) :)
*2. Mentoring Program Committee*
*When:* Now
*Apply:* gwamit-mentor at mit.edu
Interested in helping women graduate students connect with faculty and
alumni mentors? Excited about applying your technical and organizing skills
to creative projects? Come and join us at the Mentoring Program Committee!

We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
- 2 Co-chairs (lead the committee in running the program!)
- Matching Chair (responsible for matching mentors and mentees at the
beginning of each year)
- Dear Kate Lead and Website Chair (curate a monthly advice column in which
mentors from the program respond to questions from grad students and
maintain website)
- Mentoring Relations Chair (communicate with mentors and mentees about the
latest GWAMIT Mentoring events and initiatives)

If you have interest in helping to cultivate rewarding mentoring
relationships by helping us brainstorm new ideas, organize events, and
match mentors and mentees, please get in touch (gwamit-mentor at mit.edu) with
us with the following:
1) Which position you'd like to apply for, and
2) Why you're excited about GWAMIT Mentoring! :)

For more information on the GWAMIT Mentoring program, please visit our
website <http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/mentoring-program/>.
************** MIT **************

*3. MIT School of Engineering Communication Lab: Summer Institute*
*When:* July 24th - 28th
*Where: *Whitaker Building, 56-614
*Sign-up*: link <http://mitcommlab.mit.edu/events/>
We warmly invite you to join us for our first Communication Lab Summer
Institute, a hands-on workshop for students, postdocs, and administrators.
Participants will learn how to create innovative communication resources
for engineers and scientists.
July 24- 27, 2017: Communication Lab Summer Institute
July 28, 2017: Optional additional day to learn about our Fellow training
curriculum, which is available for purchase.
The deadline for submitting your registration and payment is Monday, July
17, 2017.
*4. Middle Eastern Dance Class*
*When:* Tuesdays, 7:30PM - 9:00PM
*Where: *24-121
*Sign-up*: link <https://spouses.mit.edu/mit-events/event/16499960>
Are you fascinated by the diversity of expression of this perhaps oldest
and most feminine of dance forms? Come try it out Tuesday evenings, 7:30 -
9:00.
To join, contact Loni Butera at (617) 491-5657, or loni at mit.edu
*5. Tango for Beginners*
*When:* Mondays, 7:00PM - 8:15PM
*Where: *36-156
*Sign-up*: email <simonida at tangoaffair.com>
Get it right the first time! Connection, walking, posture, cross, ochos,
and simple turns. How to pass and accept (or refuse) the invitation to
dance and the etiquette on the social dance floor. This class is suitable
for complete beginners as well as dancers with more experience who wish to
perfect the basics.

Admission: For each whole 5-week-series: $75 general public / $35 MIT
students / $50 other students. MIT Spouses prices adjusted to their spouse
status. Payment (cash or personal check) is due in the first class and it
is non-refundable.

REGISTRATION: Please e-mail simonida at tangoaffair.com to register. Please
specify which class you are registering for and the role (follower or
leader).

This event occurs on Mondays through June 19, 2017, except May 29, 2017 and
June 12, 2017.
************** Outside MIT **************

*6. Sign Statement on Climate Change*
*URL*: link <http://academiaunited.org/>
Join academics across America in signing a new statement on climate change
that is going live right now. This statement enables the faculty, staff,
and students of American universities and colleges to join groups of
mayors, business leaders, and university/college presidents who are
announcing that even though the federal government is withdrawing from the
Paris Agreement, we will do our parts to fight climate change.

Please consider signing the statement, and forwarding this invitation to
any colleagues at any American university or college who you think might be
interested. Note that after you sign, you will have to reply to a
subsequent confirmation email.
*7. Mentoring as a Catalyst: Reception & Book Release Celebration*
*When:* June 20, 5:00PM - 7:00PM
*Where:* Simmons College, 300 Fenway (School of Management, 5th Floor)
*Sign-up*: link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/june-cgo-event-on-mentoring-diversity-reception-book-release-celebration-tickets-34333414166?aff=estw>

Please join the Center for Gender in Organizations (CGO) and Dr. Stacy
Blake-Beard as we celebrate the release of her co-edited volume (with
Audrey Murrell) on mentoring in a global context. "Mentoring Diverse
Leaders: Change for People, Processes, and Paradigms" provides up-to-date
research on the impact of mentoring relationships in organizations,
particularly as they relate to cultivating diverse leadership.

Through contributions from experts in the fields of psychology, business,
law, non-profit management, and engineering, they demonstrate the ways
mentoring for diversity actually drives innovation and change, talent
management, organizational commitment, and organizational success. At this
CGO session, Dr. Blake-Beard will moderate a panel with the authors of
three of the book chapters.

We will close with a book signing and cocktail reception. Space is limited
and will fill up fast, so please RSVP today!
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu