[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of April 17, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Sun Apr 16 20:21:20 EDT 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of April 17, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=ddfb23e2b7>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
April 17, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Fill out GWAMIT Graduate Student Childcare Survey (now)

*MIT:*
2. MIT April 18: Day of Engagement, Day of Action (Apr. 18)
3. Think Big: Identify Goals and Set Priorities for Success (Apr. 19)
4. Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2017 (Apr.)
5. Bernard M. Gordon—Lessons I've Learned As A Lifetime Engineering Leader
(Apr. 21)
6. Delta series: dialogues empowering leaders toward action (Apr. 21)
7. [MITWGS] What Does Black Lives Matter have to do with YOU? (Apr. 22)
8. Developing Your Emotional Intelligence: Improving Personal and
Professional Relationships (Apr. 25)
9. Michael Lee: “The Conservative Canon Before and After Trump” (Apr. 27)
10. [LBGTQ at MIT] Trans/GQ Employee Lunch (Apr. 28)
11. Stepping up and Standing Out: How Leaders in Technology are Chosen
(Apr. 28)
12. [MITWGS] My Sister's Keeper Film Series (Apr. 28/May. 12)
13. Hacking VR Speaker Series: Jessica Brillhart, “VR in Science” (May. 2)

*Outside MIT:*
14. 11th annual Cambridge Science Festival (Apr.14 - 23)
15. [HGWISE] Women in Data Science Career Panel (Apr. 20)
16. Connect to ClearView - Consultant Immersion Program Applications Now
Being Accepted (Apr. 20)
17. New England Future Faculty Workshop at Northeastern University (May. 23)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

Thanks to all of you who have come to our Spring Empowerment Conference! We
look forward to seeing you again next year.

GWAMIT has also started a Graduate Student Childcare Survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeMVyhVVfDwp8I6ZWiF790UIGFZ0u27VOh1Nb8ZdLWgKHX9qQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>
to better understand the needs of graduate students with children.

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. Fill out GWAMIT Graduate Student Childcare Survey*
*When:* now
*Link:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeMVyhVVfDwp8I6ZWiF790UIGFZ0u27VOh1Nb8ZdLWgKHX9qQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>
GWAMIT has been working with the administration to provide better support
for graduate students with children. If you have children or want to have
children in grad school, please fill out this survey to give us more
information.
The survey is designed for any MIT grad student or their spouses and
partners.
************** MIT **************

*2. MIT April 18: Day of Engagement, Day of Action*
*When:* Tuesday, April 18
*Where: *various
*Info*: link <http://dayofaction.mit.edu/>
On April 18, 2017, members of MIT and the broader local community will
pause our everyday activities and devote the day to engaging with the
political, economic, and social challenges facing us today.
We intend this day of action to be open to all, representing the full
diversity of our community. Please join us in making this a day where your
voice is heard and where you hear the voices of others. HOW?
A full list of proposed sessions and more information about this day
long event can be found at: http://dayofaction.mit.edu
- If you can join in for all or just part of the day, please sign the call
for participation, and disseminate widely! We will also be following up
with a more detailed participation form by Monday, April 3rd.
- If you would like to help with organizing or on the day of the event,
volunteer to help!
MIT April 18: Day of Engagement, Day of Action is open to all, and hopes to
represent the full diversity of our community. We are made stronger by
open, respectful dialogue and the exchange of ideas from the widest variety
of intellectual, religious, class, cultural, and political perspectives.
*3. **Think Big: Identify Goals and Set Priorities for Success*
*When:* Wednesday, April 19, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
*Where: *MIT Building NE49-5000
*RSVP*: link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/think-big-identify-goals-and-set-priorities-for-success-registration-31296889840>
Presenter – Anna Robinson, M.A., WLCP®; Work-Life Projects Administrator,
MIT Work-Life Center
In this workshop, you will gain knowledge and insight to help you set goals
for success in work and life. You will have the opportunity to define and
explore the core values that motivate you. Working together with others,
you will start to prioritize and set goals for the next steps in your
successful and enriching career and life.

*4. Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2017 Info*: link
<http://whiteelephant.scripts.mit.edu/saam/>
*5. Bernard M. Gordon—Lessons I've Learned As A Lifetime Engineering Leader*
*When: *Friday, April 21st, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 10-250
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bernard-m-gordonlessons-ive-learned-as-a-lifetime-engineering-leader-tickets-32359576364>
Founder and Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Analogic Corporation, Bernard
M. Gordon is the Benefactor of the Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership
Program.
Awarded the National Medal of Technology by President Reagan in 1986, Mr.
Gordon has represented the key creative and essential role of the engineer
in the development of new technology.
During his lecture, Bernie Gordon will share some of the valuable and
enduring lessons he's learned in his lifetime as an engineering leader.
*6. Delta series: dialogues empowering leaders toward action*
*When: *April 13th/ April 21st, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
*Where: *MIT Building 4-407
*Register*: e-mail deltaseries at mit.edu
The Office of Multicultural Programs and LGBT at MIT is excited present the
delta series: dialogues empowering leaders toward action. The series will
include conversations and activities that will focus on identity,
intergroup relations, issues of diversity and inclusion on campus and
community building. The first session will be held on April 13, 2017 in
4-407 and will focus on identity and intersectionality. It will be an open
and safe space for both undergraduate and graduate students to share and
learn more about themselves and each other. Please e-mail
deltaseries at mit.edu with any questions and to RSVP.
*7. [MITWGS] What Does Black Lives Matter have to do with YOU?*
*When:* Saturday, April 22nd, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building W20 | Student Center
Please join the Black Student’s Union for this important conversation on
the Black Lives Matter movement. All are welcome and encouraged to join.
*8. **Developing Your Emotional Intelligence: Improving Personal and
Professional Relationships*
*When:* Tuesday, April 25, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 46-3189
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/developing-your-emotional-intelligence-improving-personal-and-professional-relationships-registration-31289770546>
Presenter – Wendy Wollner, M.S., M.B.A.; Founder and CEO, Balancing Life’s
Issues
Dinner will be available beginning at 5:00 p.m. and the seminar
presentation will run from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is one of the many kinds of intelligence we use
every day. One difference is that we can actually improve our EQ, which
research has shown can enhance our careers and relationships. Learn how
identifying, understanding, and actively using our own and others’ emotions
can help make or break interactions with others, professionally and
personally. This seminar provides skills, tools, and interactive exercises
to give you a sense of why self-awareness and awareness of others have huge
value in all areas of your life.
*9. Michael Lee: “The Conservative Canon Before and After Trump”*
*When: *Thursday, April 27, 5:00PM
*Where: *MIT Building 56-114
Michael J. Lee charts the vital role of canonical post–World War II
(1945–1964) books in generating, guiding, and sustaining conservatism as a
political force in the United States. Dedicated conservatives have argued
for decades that the conservative movement was a product of print, rather
than a march, a protest, or a pivotal moment of persecution. The Road to
Serfdom, Ideas Have Consequences, Witness, The Conservative Mind, God and
Man at Yale, The Conscience of a Conservative, and other mid-century texts
became influential not only among conservative office-holders,
office-seekers, and well-heeled donors but also at dinner tables, school
board meetings, and neighborhood reading groups. Taking an expansive
approach, he shows the wide influence of the conservative canon on
traditionalist, libertarian, and other types of conservatives. By exploring
the varied uses to which each founding text has been put from the Cold War
to the culture wars, he aims to highlight the struggle over what it means
to think and speak conservatively in America.
Lee teaches and researches political communication and rhetoric at the
College of Charleston. His book, Creating Conservatism, won five national
book awards in his field.  He is also the co-founder of With Purpose, a
non-profit organization that raises money and awareness to fight childhood
cancer.
*10. [LBGTQ at MIT] Trans/GQ Employee Lunch *
*When:*  Friday, April 28th, 12:00PM - 1PM
*Where: *Please RSVP for the location
*RSVP*: contact Abigail Francis afran at mit.edu
LBGTQ at MIT is hosting another lunch date for trans/gender-queer/genderNC
faculty and staff.  So if you are an MIT staff or faculty member and also
identify as trans, gender-queer, gender-nonconforming, I’d love you to join
a small group out for lunch (4/28 at noon).
*11. Stepping up and Standing Out: How Leaders in Technology are Chosen*
*When: *Friday, April 28th, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 2-190
*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stepping-up-and-standing-out-how-leaders-in-technology-are-chosen-tickets-33469662662>
Gain practical insights from John Strackhouse, one of the nation’s top high
technology executive recruiters at Caldwell Partners, and Brent Tworetzky,
the Executive VP Product at the XO Group. In this workshop, sponsored by
the Gordon Engineering Leadership Program, Strackhouse and Tworetzky will
deliver valuable advice on preparing for future job interviews and for
navigating your professional careers.
*12. [MITWGS] My Sister's Keeper Film Series*
*When:* April 28 / May 12
*Where:* MIT Building 3-270
Friday April 28th: The Revival: Women and the Word, directed by Sekiya
Dorsett, chronicles the US tour of a group of black lesbian poets and
musicians.
Friday May 12th: A Place of Rage, directed by Pratibha Parmar, is an
exuberant celebration of black women featuring interviews with Angela
Davis, June Jordan and Alice Walker.
*13. Hacking VR Speaker Series: Jessica Brillhart, “VR in Science”*
*When:* Tuesday, May 2, 12:00PM - 1:30PM
*Where: *MIT Building E15-318
*Info*: link <http://cmsw.mit.edu/events/>
Google has been at the forefront of exploring new ways to shoot 360, VR
stories. As the medium develops, how can VR be used to raise awareness
about science-related project? How can it be used to tell stories about our
bodies, our health? VR in developments sometimes mean collaborations with
doctors, neuroscientists, data scientists. How can scientific knowledge
inform creation and creation inform science?
************** Outside MIT **************

*14. 11th annual  Cambridge Science Festival*
*When: *April 14 - 23
*Where*: 265 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
*Info*: link <http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/>
The Cambridge Science Festival and its year-round initiative Science on the
Street aims to make science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics
accessible to all and - most importantly - fun!
*15. [HGWISE] Women in Data Science Career Panel*
*When: *Thursday, April 20th, 5:00PM - 7:00PM
*Where*: Tsai Auditorium, CGIS South
Are you a interested in pursuing a career in data science? Join us for a
panel discussion with female professionals who come from diverse
backgrounds, ranging from humanities to physical sciences. They will be
sharing about their experience transitioning from graduate school into data
science careers. Come hear about their stories and take the opportunity to
ask questions and network with female data scientists!
*16. Connect to ClearView - Consultant Immersion Program Applications Now
Being Accepted*
*When: *Thursday, April 20th, 6:00PM - 8:00PM
*Where*: MIT Building 8-205
ClearView Healthcare Partners will be hosting an information session and
case workshop for candidates interested in Connect to ClearView, our 3-day
immersion program for graduate and professional students, on April 20 from
6 – 8 pm in room 8-205
Connect to ClearView is a unique opportunity for advanced degree candidates
focused in the life sciences to experience three days as a life sciences
strategy consultant and get to know ClearView. ClearView managers will lead
teams of graduate and professional students through an engagement based on
high impact pharmaceutical development strategy projects.
Two separate sessions of the program will take place on July 26 – 28 and
August 23 – 25 at our office in Boston.  ClearView will take care of all
travel and lodging for non-local participants.
How to Apply:
Please apply through our website by uploading your resume and cover letter:
http://www.clearviewhcp.com/careers/apply/current-openings
Application Submission Deadline:  11:59 pm EST, May 7, 2017
*17. New England Future Faculty Workshop at Northeastern University*
*Deadline:* May 26
*Register:* link
<http://www.northeastern.edu/advance/recruitment/future-faculty-workshop/>
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu