[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of November 21, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Nov 21 01:50:02 EST 2016

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of November 21, 2016
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=86da92e5dc&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
November 21, 2016
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Relax & de-stress social: Hot chocolate and cookie decorating (Dec. 7)
*MIT:*
2. MIT Solidarity Rally: Monday at 12PM (Nov. 21)
3. Friday After Thanksgiving Chain Reaction (Nov. 25)
4. [MIT S&P] Volunteering for ice skating (Dec. 5)
5. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Heidi Pitlor (Dec. 7)
6. [MITWGS] Pre-screen Hidden Figures (Dec. 8)
7. The MIT Women's Chorale (Dec. 10)
8. [MIT Women's League] Daniel Chester French Exhibition (Dec. 13)
9. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series (now – Dec.)
10. [GCWS] Call for Papers: 2017 GCWS Graduate Student Conference (Jan. 6
2017)

*Outside MIT:*
11. Coding tutoring volunteers urgently needed for local high school (now)
12. RSVP for McKinsey Energy and Sustainability presentation (Nov. 21)
13. Dreamit Webinar: Working with International Investors (Dec. 1)
14. [MASS AWIS] Winter Holiday Social & Volunteer Appreciation (Dec. 7)
15. ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity (Jan. 2017)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

The Our Voice Team at MIT is organizing a peaceful non-partisan Solidarity
Rally this Monday from 12:00 - 1:00 PM on Killian Court. You
will hear speakers from a variety of social action groups and parts of MIT
sharing why they are organizing and what this moment means.

Have a wonderful, relaxing, and safe Thanksgiving!

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. Relax & de-stress social: Hot chocolate and cookie decorating*
*When:* Wednesday, December 7th, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
*Where:* Margaret Cheney Room | MIT Building 3-310
GWAMIT is preparing a relax & de-stress social before the finals. Join us
in cookie decorating while enjoying some hot chocolate~
Mark your calendar for this fun event!
************** MIT **************

*2. MIT Solidarity Rally*
*When:* Monday, November 21st, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
*Where:* Killian Court
*Contact:* solidaritymit at mit.edu
Times are changing and we can no longer afford to sit back and watch the
flow of hateful rhetoric and misinformation threaten not only our
community, but the future of the world. The MIT community can and must
stand up for our values.
Let’s take the first step towards change. Let’s rally to unite as MIT and
show that we care. Let’s make our voice loud and clear – and we want you to
join us.
On Monday, November 21, we will stand together to show the world that we
care about those values, and the safety and prospects of our peers, of our
students, of our community.
We write to you in encouragement - to welcome you to our peaceful,
non-partisan Solidarity Rally, on Monday from 12:00 - 1:00 PM on Killian
Court.
Purpose:
To shine a light on what MIT stands for as an institution
To reaffirm our shared values
To be active against policies that make our community feel unsafe
On Monday, we will stand not in fear or in anger, but together in
solidarity.
If you are interested in supporting your fellow students, please join our
Facebook event and share it with your friends!
The organizers behind this rally are student leaders representing a diverse
set of groups and interests on campus. If you have concerns or questions
please email solidaritymit at mit.edu and we’ll get back to you as soon as
possible.
*3. [MIT Museum] Friday After Thanksgiving (F.A.T.) Chain Reaction*
*When:* Friday, November 25th, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
*Where:* Rockwell Cage, 106 Vassar Street, Cambridge, MA
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/19th-annual-friday-after-thanksgiving-fat-chain-reaction-tickets-28426825400>
Whether it's the reaction induced between two creative contraptions or the
joyful reactions sparked on the faces of spectators, the MIT Museum's
Friday After Thanksgiving (F.A.T.) Chain Reaction is a one-of-a-kind
engineering feat that must be seen to be believed!
This year's theme is symmetry for our 19th (XIX) chain reaction, and
artists Arthur Ganson and Jeff Lieberman will mastermind the choreography
of this Rube Goldberg machine, assisted by teams and participants who range
from Girl Scout troops and school groups to artists and
engineers.Spectators can meet the teams and engage in themed hands-on
activities while waiting for the magic moment when all the machines are
linked up to set off a chain reaction with a surprise ending.
Ticket includes admission to the MIT Museum on Nov. 25th
Event Schedule:
1 pm - Doors Open
1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Side Activies - will be listed closer to the event
1:15 p.m. - Teams Interviewed
3:30 p.m. - Chain reaction starts
*4.  [MIT S&P] Volunteering for ice skating*
*When:* Monday, December 5th, 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
*Where:* ICE SKATING @Kendal Square
*Sign-up:* link
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0b4ea9a82eabfc1-volunteering2>
The MIT Spouse and Partner Connect are organizing the annual hoiliday Ice
Skating event happening in Kendal Square. The ice skating event is on
Monday, December 5th at 5:30 pm-8:00 pm.
We need volunteers for 3 shifts, 2 volunteers for each shift (5:15-6:15,
6:15-7:15,  7:15-8:15).
First shift volunteers will help with organization, set-up and serving of
the food.
Second shift volunteers will help with serving of food.
Third shift volunteers will help with serving of food and clean-up.
We will be serving hot soups with bread, hot chocolate and coffee, and
cookies !
Note:  A FREE MIT S&P Connect T-shirt will be provided  to volunteers (if
they don't already have one from before).
*5. [MITWGS] Vision Reading Series presents Heidi Pitlor*
*When:* Wednesday, December 7th, 5:30 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 2-105
*6. [MITWGS] Pre-screen Hidden Figures*
*When:* Thursday, December 8th, 2:00 PM
*Where:* Kendall Sq. Cinema
Join us for this exciting *FREE* pre-screening of "Hidden Figures" based on
the book by Margot Shetterly.
A panel will follow including Margot Shetterly, author of Hidden Figures
(other panelists TBA).
Sponsors include Aero Astro, Women's & Gender Studies & GCWS
Check out the trailer for this little known story of these crucial black
women mathematicians at NASA.
*7. The MIT Women's Chorale*
*When:* Saturday, December 10th, 5:00 PM
*Where:* Harvard-Epworth United Methodist Church | 1555 Massachusetts
Avenue, Harvard Square, Cambridge
Featured works: Two pieces written for women of the 18th century Venetian
Ospedali by Baldassari Galuppi: Dixit Dominus  and Nunc dimittis,
 performed with string quartet and organ. We also sing music of David
Hamilton, Sonya Huang, and, and Kevin Galiè. Free admission, reception
after the concert.
The MIT Women's Chorale is a concert choir sponsored by the MIT Women's
League, and is open to all women of the MIT and Harvard communities and a
small number of guests at the discretion of the director.
In October 2008, the Chorale welcomed Kevin Galiè as our Music Director and
Conductor. The Chorale welcomes Seoyon MacDonald as our accompanist in
September 2016.
Our repertoire covers a wide range of styles, from medieval to
contemporary, including both sacred and secular music. The Chorale performs
two or more concerts each year.  These include a holiday concert held in
December, and a spring concert, usually held in April or May. Rehearsals
are held on Wednesday evenings from 7:15 to 9:30pm in the Emma Rogers Room
(10-340) at MIT. We work hard to prepare for each concert, so a commitment
to regular attendance is expected from our members.
We are enriched by the diversity of our membership, which includes women of
a wide age range and women from the international communities at MIT and
Harvard.  While our primary focus is singing, we end each evening with
conversation over light refreshments.  We also hold a pot luck supper each
semester.  The interactions fostered by the Chorale have led to many
life-long friendships.
*8. [MIT Women's League] Daniel Chester French Exhibition*
*When:* December 13th, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
*Where:* Boston Athenaeum, 10 1/2 Beacon Street, Boston
*Reserve*: wleague at mit.edu
Born in Concord, MA, Daniel Chester French is known to most New Englanders
as the sculptor of the Minute Man statue (1875) at Concord's historic Old
North Bridge. Nationally and internationally he is known as the sculptor of
the Abraham Lincoln monumental statue (1906) in the Lincoln Memorial,
Washington, D.C..
We hope you will join us to view yet another theme of his work at the
Boston Athenaeum's special exhibition "Daniel Chester French: The Female
Form Revealed."
"It is the goal of this exhibition to help fill that gap in French
scholarship. 'Daniel Chester French: The Female Form Revealed' will explore
French's career primarily as seen in a group of preliminary models and
studies that he made not only for major public commissions but also for a
number of his more intimate and personal works."
Our Athenaeum visit is limited sixteen people. Eight will have a guided
tour of the exhibition while the other eight will explore the building's
great artwork and architecture. Then each group will switch and discover
what they didn't see in their first session.
The tour begins at 11:00 am. You may meet a group at the Kendall T station
on the inbound platform at 10:15 am and travel together. Or you may choose
to go directly to the Athenaeum at 10 l/2 Beacon Street, Boston (across
from the State House). The tour cost is $10 per person (no discounts
provided).
To reserve your place, please contact the League office at 617.253.3656 or
wleague at mit.edu.
*9. MIT Work-Life Center Fall 2016 Seminar Series *
*When:* now - December
*Info: *link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>
*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Student Loan Repayment Strategies*
*When:* Wednesday, November 30th, 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
*Where:* MIT Building 76-156 | The David H. Koch Institute for Integrative
Cancer Research
Presenter – Jeanne Mahan, M.S.; Senior Manager, College Finance, College
Coach
The total education-related loan balance in the United States now exceeds
$1 trillion, surpassing total outstanding credit card debt. The
overwhelming and long term impact of this debt on individuals and families
is enormous. This seminar explores the strategies that recent graduates and
their parents can use to help borrowers successfully transition to their
debt-repayment responsibilities. Attendees will learn:
How to identify repayment responsibilities for each loan
Methods for reducing monthly payments
Strategies for identifying cash flow that can be used to prepay education
debt
Ways to avoid becoming delinquent and defaulting on education debt, even
during times of personal economic hardship

*Raising Children Who Care About Others and Their Communities*
*When:* Thursday, December 1st, 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
*Where:* MIT Building E25-401
Presenter – Luba Falk Feigenberg, Ed.D.; Research Director, Making Caring
Common
Children face complicated situations that challenge their notions of right
and wrong every day. Parents and caregivers often struggle to talk with
their children about these situations and to help guide children’s social
and ethical development.  This presentation will share research about
children’s social, emotional, and ethical development and describe the
skills that contribute to success in relationships, in school, and in life.
Strategies will be shared for building empathy and perspective taking, and
for helping children be more compassionate in their everyday interactions.
*10. [GCWS] Call for Papers: 2017 GCWS Graduate Student Conference*
*Deadline:* January 6, 2017
*Register:* link <https://tufts.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a9IleHRX4giF0tD>
HE PERSONAL IS STILL POLITICAL:
CHALLENGING MARGINALIZATION THROUGH THEORY, ANALYSIS, & PRAXIS
 A Graduate Student Conference on Gender, Culture, Women & Sexuality
March 31 & April 1, 2017

In the late 1960s, the statement “the personal is political” emerged as a
central rallying cry for feminist activists. While salient before, it has
become all the more urgent in light of the 2016 United States election
results. Given this, the Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender,
Culture, Women, and Sexuality (GCWS) is hosting a graduate student
conference, The Personal Is Still Political: Challenging Marginalization
through Theory, Analysis, & Praxis, to investigate how this slogan has
been, can be, or is now being mobilized as a concept for resistance by
marginalized groups   theoretically, analytically, and practically.
Thirty years ago, Audre Lorde remarked that “the absence of [race,
sexuality, class, and age] weakens any feminist discussion of the personal
and the political.” We build upon this inclusive declaration to examine the
diverse reach of state oppressions, violence, hegemonic intervention, and
marginality in the contemporary moment. We also aim to explore modes of
resistance to such repression. Some of the questions this conference seeks
to address include (but are not limited to):
• How have intersectional approaches to praxis reshaped this concept as a
useful tool for counter-hegemonic struggles?
• How do repressed groups and individuals enact or challenge “the personal
as political” in their daily, lived experiences?
•  How is this concept relevant to linkages between academia, activism, and
practice?
Topics to be explored in papers and presentations may include (but are not
limited to):
•  Activism (e.g., Black Lives Matter; the prison abolition movement; the
Standing Rock Protective Actions; abortion ban protests in Poland; support
for openly queer teenagers kicked out of their homes)
•  Legal policies (e.g., transphobic bathroom laws; work and family policy;
sexuality-based discrimination and policy; social welfare policies; labor
rights; treaty rights; the “We are All Amina Filali” movement in Morocco)
• Nationhood, globalization, and immigration (e.g., refugees and
displacement - Syrian refugee crisis; family and migration; persistent
Islamophobia and anti-Semitism; nationalism)
• Environmental issues and justice (e.g., climate change; resource
scarcity; pollution/toxic contamination - the Flint water crisis, the BP
oil spill)
•  Health issues (e.g., health care access; reproductive rights;
(dis)ability and accessibility; food access; the U.S. opioid crisis; global
health disparities)
• Theoretical interventions (e.g., intersectionality; queer theory;
postcolonial feminism; feminist psychoanalysis; FemCrit; settler
colonialism) as explored by scholars such as Butler (2009), Edelman (2004),
Evans-Winters & Esposito (2010), hooks (1984), Moraga & Anzaldua (1981),
Spivak (1992), Wolfe (1999), among others
We welcome proposals for papers and/or projects (i.e. paintings,
sculptures, film, performances, poetry/literature, songs) from graduate
students of all disciplines that explore issues of marginality, repression,
and resistance through the lenses of gender and/or sexuality.
************** Outside MIT **************

*11. Coding tutoring volunteers urgently needed for local high school*
*When: *now
*Where: *Central Square Cambridge
*Contact:* Sarah.cortes at gmail.com
Kids right here in Central Square Cambridge are trying to break the barrier
and learn to code for a brighter future! Each One Teach One works with
local high school to help girls and members of underrepresented groups
learn to code. And everyone! Just one hour a week for a few weeks can make
all the difference! Kids will come to your location or you can come to
their school. Help out Saturday morning for an hour, or anytime during the
week. These kids urgently need your help today!
Contact Sarah.cortes at gmail.com to get connected to a local kid. You can
make the difference of a lifetime.
*12. RSVP for McKinsey Energy and Sustainability presentation*
*When:* Monday, November 21st, 11:45AM - 12:45PM
*Where:* MIT Building E62-276
*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTLrGhwLlrx3wx3eTYcnTX6pIS6iziw4RTLiYNL9uP0dWmVQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>
This event is open to current MIT students, faculty, and staff. Please use
your @mit.edu or @sloan.mit.edu address to sign up.
Please join McKinsey & Company’s Senior Partner Scott Nyquist for a
discussion on climate change, recent progress in policy and technology, and
implications for energy companies.
Scott Nyquist is a Senior Partner in the Houston Office and a leader in the
McKinsey Sustainability and Resource Productivity Network as well as a
leader in the McKinsey's Energy Practice. Scott is also on the McKinsey
Global Institute Council, which advises on MGI’s research on global
economic, business, and technology trends.
McKinsey’s Sustainability and Resource Productivity (SRP) network helps the
world’s leading institutions make sustainability and resource productivity
a core driver of economic performance. SRP’s mission is to be the best
place to work for people with ambition to make a positive and lasting
impact on both clients and environment.
*13. Dreamit Webinar: Working with International Investors*
*When: *December 1st, 12:00 PM
*Register:* link
<https://zoom.us/webinar/register/3217396e72941c6c66858a512be5123a?goal=0_4bc73233ca-4578beb779-221811633&mc_cid=4578beb779&mc_eid=42d15f714e>
In this webinar, we will explore the pros and cons of raising money from
international investors. What additional regulatory requirements do you
need to satisfy? What are the drawbacks of having an investor base outside
of the traditional venture capitals of major American cities?
*14. [MASS AWIS] Winter Holiday Social & Volunteer Appreciation*
*When: *December 7th, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
*Where: *Hong Kong restaurant, 1238 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138
*Register:* link
<https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07edfil1nk1dd919d6&oseq=&c=&ch=>
Eat
Drink
and be Appreciated!
You are invited to join us for a fun-filled evening with games, prizes, and
great conversation!! You can also participate in our cookie & cookie recipe
exchange! Reunite with fellow AWIS members, meet, and network with the
Mentoring Circles Program!
MASS AWIS members $20 · Non-members $30
ACTIVE Volunteers (with coupon from your Committee) $10
*15.  ART+SCIENCE Field Studies Opportunity*
*When:* January 10-15, 2017
*Apply:* link <http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/island-life>
ISLAND LIFE: Tropical Field Studies of Art+Nature in Puerto Rico is a
hands-on, immersive, and project-based program that integrates biology and
art in the field, at various environments in Puerto Rico. The focus of the
program is to learn about Puerto Rico's diverse wildlife through artmaking
and field biology.  We travel to rainforests, dry forests, beach, coastal,
coral reef, mangrove, and mountain environments.  The program involves
multiple site-specific projects that integrate creativity, art and biology.
There are limited spaces available, and anyone interested in this travel
experience is highly encouraged to apply today! Please click on the links
for photos and more information, and don't hesitate to let me know if you
have any questions. Thank you for helping us to spread the word about this
unique opportunity!
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu