[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of March 21, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Mar 21 15:28:30 EDT 2016

*Send your ideas to: **gwamit-exec at mit.edu* <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

*Send your announcements to: **gwamit-sec at mit.edu* <gwamit-sec at mit.edu>

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

March 21, 2016

*========*

*IN BRIEF*

*========*

*GW at MIT:*

1. GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference Team Meeting! (Mar. 22nd)

2. April Undergraduate/Graduate Women Panel and Networking Lunch (Apr. 7th)

3. Apply to be GWAMIT Department Representatives!

*MIT:*

4. Women Take the Reel: Film Festival Celebrating Women's History Month
(now – Mar. 30th)

5. Reimaging Your Life - Discussion Group (now – Mar. 31st)

6. [MIT Spouses&Partners Connect] Career Connect Consultation (Mar. 22nd)

7. [MIT SWE] Negotiation Workshop (Mar. 28th)

8. MIT Random Acts of Kindness Week (Mar. 28th – Apr. 1st)

9. [MIT Medical] Koru Mindfulness Program for students (April)

10. MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series (now - May)

*Outside MIT:*

11. [MASS AWIS] Crafting Your Story for Career Transition (Mar. 23rd)

12. Code: Debugging the Gender Gap: Documentary Screening and Panel
Discussion (Mar. 24th)

13. [MASS AWIS] Resume Workshop (Mar. 29th)

14. AWIS National Summit on Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Health
and Medical Sciences: A Roadmap for Inclusion (Mar. 31st)

15. Harvard WIMS 2016 Women in Math and Statistics Conference (Apr. 2nd)

16. Feminist Strategies in the Classroom and Beyond (Apr. 9th)

17. [MASS AWIS] Diverse Careers in Science Speed Networking Event (April 22
nd)

*========*

Dear GW at MIT Members,

Thank you very much for coming to the GWAMIT Spring 2016 General Board
Meeting last week. We have collected many brilliant ideas!

We hope everyone is enjoying this week’s spring break. The Empowerment
Conference Team is meeting this Tuesday. If you're interested in getting
more involved with GWAMIT, this is a great way to start! Check out the
announcement below for more details.

The GWAMIT Board

*=====================*

*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*=====================*

************** GW at MIT **************

*1. GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference Team Meeting!*

*When: *Tuesday, March 22nd, 10:00am – 11:00am

*Where: *Stata Café, MIT Building 32

*Info:* link <http://gwamit.org/spring-empowerment-conference/>

*Apply: *link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QhXw3dL4CHCOvxVMMlZNUkjgqHJ7fRTW3TpjaFnlghg/edit?usp=sharing>

GWAMIT is currently recruiting event leads and committee members for the
annual Spring Empowerment Conference to be held in April 2016. We're having
a brainstorming/planning meeting this week so please come if you're
interested in being a part of the team! This is a great opportunity to be a
part of the 2016 organizing team!

There are many different ways you can get involved depending on your
interests and schedule. Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at
gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have questions. We also encourage you to read
more about previous leaders and events on our website
<http://gwamit.org/spring-empowerment-conference/>.

*2. April Undergraduate/Graduate Women Panel and Networking Lunch*

*When:* Thursday, April 7th, 11:00am - 12:30pm

*Where: *Margaret Cheney Room MIT Building 3-310

*RSVP*: Brooke Goodman goodmanb at mit.edu (by Monday, April 4th)

Calling all graduate women! On Thursday, April 7, the Margaret Cheney Room
will host its monthly Undergraduate Women's Lunch. This month, however, we
want to invite you to join in on the conversation!

The April lunch will take place from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., with the first
part (11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.) being a graduate women panel and the second
part (11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) consisting of lunch and informal
networking/social time for undergraduate women to be able to connect with
graduate women at MIT.

Participation will be limited to the first 25 graduate women to RSVP, so
please contact Brooke Goodman (goodmanb at mit.edu) by Monday, April 4 if you
are interested in helping out with the informal networking lunch portion.
We greatly appreciate your help, and all of the insight you'll be able to
provide for the undergraduate women!

*3. Apply to be GWAMIT Department Representatives!*

*Contact*: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

Department representatives serve as a liaison between GWAMIT and members in
their home department.

Semesterly funding is available for active Department Representatives to
hold an event for GWAMIT members in their home departments. Please contact
gwamit-exec at mit.edu for more information.

************** MIT **************

*4. Women Take the Reel: Film Festival Celebrating Women's History Month *

*When:* Throughout March

*Where: *Various

*Info:* link <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016women-reel.html>

The WGS/GCWS's annual collaboratively-produced Women Take the Reel film
festival now has its own Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/womentakethereel/>!

This annual film festival is a collaborative effort among Women's and
Gender Studies departments involved in the Graduate Consortium in Women's
Studies (as well as select institutions/universities aligned with its
mission) that features films about issues relating to gender, race,
sexuality, class and/or feminism. The theme of this year’s festival is
*Activism*.

The focus is on the intellectual investigation of these issues, so every
film is accompanied by a Q&A and discussion with the film director,
producer, local activists and practitioners, and/or faculty members from
the host institution for each film.

*All films are free and open to the public.*

More information about each film screening and associated events are below.

FILMS and SCREENING DATES this week:

-3/22: Rebel at Emerson College

-3/26: An Open Secret at Emerson College

*5. Reimaging Your Life - Discussion Group*

*When:* Thursdays, March 24 and 31, 11:15am

*Where:* MIT Building E23-364 (E23-319 on Mar. 31)

*Register:* email <reck at med.mit.edu>

Frustrated by your inability to work in the US? Struggling to figure out
what to do next? Want to spend your time in Boston productively, but you’re
just not sure how? Join others to explore how to tap into your passions or
long forgotten interests and make your time at MIT meaningful, regardless
of your visa status or length of stay in Boston.

Led by MS&PC Program Manager, Jennifer Recklet Tassi, we will read and
discuss essays from Martha Beck’s collection “Essays for Creating a Right
Life” – pick up the reading packet from our office (E23-441) or at our
weekly Wednesday gatherings.

-March 24: Why You Need to Embrace Imperfection

-March 31: How to Tap into Your Power

Email Jennifer at reck at med.mit.edu to let her know you will attend.

*6. [MIT Spouses&Partners Connect] Career Connect Consultation*

*When:* Tuesday, March 22nd, 3:00pm -4:00pm

*Where: *MIT Building E23-441

*Contact:* reck at med.mit.edu

Hosted by Program Manager, Jennifer Recklet Tassi, this meeting is for job
seekers and career explorers who want to ask questions, connect with
others, and keep motivated about their job search.

Please arrive promptly at 3 p.m.  for introductions. Bring your resume if
you have one, no matter what shape it's in. At this meeting, you can get
your resume reviewed, discuss job search strategies, practice some
interview questions and update us on your job search successes and
challenges. All are welcome, active seekers as well as those of you who are
just getting started. Children are welcome. This group is not open to MIT
grad students or academic professionals.

Please email Jennifer at reck at med.mit.edu to let her know if you plan to
attend.

*7. [MIT SWE] Negotiation Workshop*

*When:* Monday, March 28th, 7:30pm – 9:00pm

*Where: *Bush Room, MIT Building 10-105

*RSVP:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12KuQ1UaMrKA2PKuovkVaUTqjwj2gvf_FL4xmr1-0tyk/viewform?c=0&w=1>

*Contact:* swe-cr at mit.edu

Learn how to negotiate job offers! The workshop includes an introduction by
negotiation expert Professor Bruno Verdini, advice from MIT alumni, and
practice working through a mock negotiation.

*Dinner will be provided.*

*8. MIT Random Acts of Kindness Week*

*When:* Monday, March 28th – Friday, April 1st

*Where:* Various

*Contact:* RAK-committee at mit.edu, trangluu at mit.edu

RAK (Random Acts of Kindness) week is a time for the members of the MIT
community (undergrads, grads, faculty, staff, alumni, associates, etc.) to
connect through Random Acts of Kindness (RAK).  We hope these little acts
of kindness will remind people that they are not invisible. We mainly want
to make everyone's day a little brighter during one of the toughest times
of the academic year. Each day comes with an overarching theme

-Monday: Introduction to RAK Week. We will introduce the 20 RAK Week
challenges and have wooden clothing pins with kind words on them to clip
onto people. At the entrance of the main entrances of MIT, we will also
have volunteers with bubble guns.

-Tuesday: Peer-to-Peer resources in Lobby 10. Flowers will be passed out.

-Wednesday: Institutional resources in Lobby 10 and goody bags with a card
of the MIT resources on them will be passed out.

-Thursday: Miscellaneous acts of kindness. Use #MITRAK to tag an act of
kindness you’ve seen.

-Friday: Let's Talk About It Open Mic Event (3rd Floor Media Lab). The open
mic night will be on the last day of RAK Week (4/1/16). We want it to be a
time for members of the community to come together and share their stories,
give advice, rant, read poems, and so on.

Other things going on during the week: Handing out colored pencils, therapy
dogs, sending notes, sending serenades, RAK wristbands and RAK HACKS.

If anyone has questions or have an idea on how they want to participate in
RAK week, they can either email the RAK committee at RAK-committee at mit.edu
or directly email me at trangluu at mit.edu.

*9**. [MIT Medical] Koru Mindfulness Program for students *

*When:* Throughout April

*Where: *Various

*Info:*

*Register:* link
<https://medical.mit.edu/community/wellness/classes/mindfulness-meditation>

As part of the Mind Hand Heart Initiative <http://mindhandheart.mit.edu/>,
Community Wellness at MIT Medical is now offering Koru Mindfulness courses
for students. Koru Mindfulness is an evidence-based curriculum specifically
designed for teaching mindfulness meditation, and stress management to
college students and other young adults. The classes are available to
students at no charge.

Please encourage interested students to visit the link below for more
information and to secure a spot in the April Koru classes –

https://medical.mit.edu/community/wellness/classes/mindfulness-meditation

*10. **MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series*

*When:* now - May

*Info:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring
2016 Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.

We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives, and
appreciate your help in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.

************** Outside MIT **************

*11. **[MASS AWIS] Crafting Your Story for Career Transition*

*When:* Wednesday, March 23rd, 5:30pm - 7:30pm

*Where:* Cannon Room, Building C, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood
Avenue, Boston, MA 02115

*Register:* link <http://www.massawis.org/CraftingYourStory2016>

With James Gould, Ph.D. Director, HMS/HSDM Office for Postdoctoral Fellow

A critical part of transitioning careers is letting others know that you
are capable of doing it successfully. Effectively communicating your career
story is an often forgotten step in career exploration and the job search.
This workshop will provide tips and tricks on crafting a career story,
effective communication, and developing lasting professional
relationships.

Register at http://www.massawis.org/CraftingYourStory2016

MASS AWIS members, HMS/HSDM and BSC postdoc** $8

Non-members $15

*Must bring valid ID to event

*12. Code: Debugging the Gender Gap: Documentary Screening and Panel
Discussion*

*When:* Thursday, March 24th, 3:00pm - 6:30pm

*Where:* Atrium, Integrated Sciences Complex, UMass Boston

*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/code-debugging-the-gender-gap-documentary-screening-and-panel-discussion-registration-21677826964>

The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Advisory
Council Lecture Series are periodic public events, sponsored by the STEM
Advisory Council, to promote STEM education while raising awareness of the
exciting job opportunities that exist in STEM fields. The event on March 24
is sponsored by Morpho Detection and focuses on the gender gap in computing
science and the need to attract more women to this field to meet workforce
demands.

*Program:*

3:00 pm - 4:00 pm      Welcome reception and networking (includes food
anddrink)

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm      Screening of "CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap"

5:30 pm - 6:30 pm      Panel discussion and Q & A from audience

This event will include the STEM Council co-chairs - Lt. Gov. Karen Polito,
Congressman Joe Kennedy and Vertex CEO Jeffrey Leiden - who will provide
remarks about the Council's work and the importance of attracting females
into computer science/IT following a welcome by UMass Boston Chancellor
Keith Motley prior to the film. The documentary will raise awareness on the
shortage of female and minority software engineers. The audience will
consist of STEM Council members, Morpho Detection employees, members of the
Mass Technology Leadership Council and STEM stakeholders from education,
business, government and non-profit organizations. Seating capacity is
limited to 150.

A moderated panel discussion will follow the screening of the film. The
panel represents expertise in computing science needs and the challenges
for attracting and retaining women computer scientists.

*Panel Discussion/Q & A from Audience:*

-Karen Bomba, CEO, Morpho Detection

-Barbara McNamara, Deputy Director, National Security Agency (NSA)

-Steve Vinter, Site Director for Google Inc., MassCAN Chair, STEM Council
Member

-Padmaja Bandaru, co-President of MA Computer Science Teacher's
Association, Computer Science Faculty at Advanced Math and Science Academy
in Marlborough

Blair Brown, from the Executive Office of Education, and Keith Connors, the
STEM Pipeline Fund Program Manager at the Dept. of Higher Education will
work with the panel to develop panel questions. The last 20 minutes of the
panel will be set aside for audience questions.

*13. **[MASS AWIS] Resume Workshop*

*When:* Tuesday, March 29th, 5:30pm - 8:00pm

*Where:* UMass Medical School, Room S2-351 (2nd Floor in Medical School
Building), 55 Lake Ave North, Worcester, MA 01605

*Register:* link <http://www.massawis.org/CVandResumeCritique2016>

*Contact*: Kristie Kapinas, kristina.kapinas at gmail.com; Lauren Laidlaw at
llaidlaw at safetypartnersinc.com

This event is for women and men within the scientific community (from
undergrads to mid-career levels) who are interested in learning how to
improve their resume or CV for academia or industry positions in all STEM
fields. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with experienced
individuals and network with fellow attendees. Light refreshments will be
available.

*IMPORTANT:* Upon confirmation of registration, please email your resume or
CV tokristina.kapinas at gmail.com by March 22nd, so your document can be
assigned to your expert for your 1:1 meeting. You will then be notified of
your 15-minute time slot by March 25th.

*Registration Fee: $5*

Your Resume/CV Experts:

Lauren Celano, Founder of Propel Careers and Bullhorn Research Recruiter

Erik Rocheford, Stratacuity STEM Recruiter

Nick Deal, Stratacuity STEM Recruiter

*14. AWIS National Summit on Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Health
and Medical Sciences: A Roadmap for Inclusion*

*When:* Thursday, March 31st, 1:00pm - 7:00pm

*Where:* Gleacher Center, The University of Chicago, 450 North Cityfront
Plaza Drive, Chicago, IL 60611

*Info:* link <http://www.innovation-summit.org/>

*Register:* link
<https://awis.site-ym.com/events/register.aspx?id=769286&itemid=e856dd47-6d8a-4a99-b63b-53cb6299f03a>

The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is pleased to host a national
dialogue on gender at the nexus of innovation and entrepreneurship with
emphasis on the health and medical sciences sector. Building on the
momentum generated from two previous Summits, the AWIS National Summit will
center on how we, as a society, can fuel innovative solutions to global
challenges facing all our citizens.

We will focus on how to develop inclusive, fiscally-responsive systems to
drive research excellence and feed long-term economic growth with experts
from industry, academia, and government. Elsevier, a world-leading provider
of information solutions, is the sponsoring partner for our upcoming
National Summit in Chicago.

Experts in workforce development, companies that have successfully engaged
STEM women in entrepreneurship, and women innovators themselves will
contribute their viewpoints. Together, all parties are crucial if we are to
identify multiple strategies to engage women STEM professionals in the
innovation agenda.

There’s still time to register. Click here
<https://awis.site-ym.com/events/register.aspx?id=769286&itemid=e856dd47-6d8a-4a99-b63b-53cb6299f03a>
for summit details or to register today.

AWIS realizes that not everyone can attend the National Summit, so we will
be offering a *video livestream* of the event. We’ll also be posting
throughout the day and welcome you to post any questions you may have on
our Twitter and Facebook profiles using *#AWISummit2016*. If you’d like to
watch the video livestream of the event – you can register for it here
<http://www.innovation-summit.org/live/>.

*15. Harvard WIMS 2016 Women in Math and Statistics Conference*

*When:* Saturday, April 2nd

*Where:* Maxwell Dworkin Building, Harvard University

*Info:* link <http://harvardgiim.org/wims/>

*RSVP:* link <https://www.facebook.com/events/481163495405336/>

WIMS hopes to connect female undergraduates interested in math and
statistics in the Boston area. Our mission is to provide you with the
opportunity to connect with leading female mathematicians working in both
academia and industry and to interact with your peers. For our first year,
we have an exciting agenda of speakers, panels, and workshops laid out. All
genders welcome!

Pre-registration is now open here. We will open official registration in
March. Tickets are completely free and include:

-Free catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as refreshments
throughout the day.

-Three fascinating keynotes from leading female mathematicians in academia
and industry.

-A panel on the pros and cons of academia and industry careers.

-A panel on the gender gap in undergraduate math.

-Workshops targeting topics like confidence, how to reduce the gender gap,
and other issues females face in math.

-A poster session with research by undergraduates in math and related areas.

-The opportunity to connect with and socialize with female math students in
universities around the Boston area.

*16. Feminist Strategies in the Classroom and Beyond*

*When:* Saturday, April 9th, 8:30am – 5:00pm

*Where:* Mandel Center for the Humanities, Brandeis University, 415 South
Street, MS 092, Waltham, MA 02453

*Info:* link
<http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016FeministClassroom.html>

*RSVP:* gcws at mit.edu

This symposium seeks to elicit practical advice from faculty members and
graduate students across the disciplines - as well as writers and activists
- about feminist, hands-on approaches to learning, teaching, knowledge
production, and publishing. It will take place at the Mandel Center for the
Humanities at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA. The symposium will
include four 90-minute roundtable discussions:

-How to do Feminist Scholarship Anywhere

-How to Teach Feminism Today

-How to Start New Feminist Research

-How to Publish Feminist Scholarship Everywhere

The roundtable discussion topics and presenters, listed below and on our
website <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016FeministClassroom.html>,
were chosen specifically to unite theory and practice from a variety of
disciplines and institutions—providing the opportunity to build skills and
discuss strategies in feminist pedagogy, research, and praxis.

This event is free. Space is limited and RSVP is required. RSVP to
gcws at mit.edu.

*17. [MASS AWIS] Diverse Careers in Science Speed Networking Event*

*When:* Friday, April 22nd, 5:45pm - 9:00pm

*Where:* 3rd Floor Atrium, 43 Vassar St, Cambridge (MIT Building 46)

*Info:* link <http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/Home.aspx>

*Register:* link
<http://mass-awis.org/exploring-career-options-in-stem-speed-networking-friday-april-22nd/>

This event is for women and men within the scientific community (undergrad
to early career), interested in exploring diverse career options in
science. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with 10-15
experienced individuals who will give insights into their chosen
professions and career trajectories. The event will be held in a
speed-networking fashion with participants switching tables every 15
minutes for a total of 5 sessions. Please note this is not a career fair,
you may exchange business cards.

Projected Career areas: Consulting, Patent Law, Research & Development,
Publishing, Business Development, Project Management, Medical Science
Liaison, Sales/Marketing, Academia, Statistics, Core Facility management.

*Agenda: *

5:45-6:00 pm  Registration and Networking over light fare

6:00-6:30 pm  Introduction and instructions

6:30-8:00 pm  Speed Networking (5-6 15 min sessions)

8:00-8:55 pm  General Networking, Desserts, Conclusion

*Fees:*

Early Bird Special:  General Admission $20 • MASS AWIS members $10

After April 1st: $25 and $12, respectively

****************************

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

*Blog: **http://gwamit.blogspot.com* <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>

*Twitter: **http://twitter.com/gwamitweb* <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

*Facebook: **http://www.facebook.com/gwamit*