[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of April 4, 2016

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Sun Apr 3 23:36:57 EDT 2016

*Send your ideas to: **gwamit-exec at mit.edu* <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

*Send your announcements to: **gwamit-sec at mit.edu* <gwamit-sec at mit.edu>

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

April 4, 2016

*========*

*IN BRIEF*

*========*

*GW at MIT:*

1. April Undergraduate/Graduate Women Panel and Networking Lunch (Apr. 7)

2. GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference: Be Gutsy! (Apr. 11 – Apr. 15)

*MIT:*

3. [MIT Museum] Speed Geek Your Way Through Bacterial Bonanza (Apr. 7)

4. A Celebration of Books by GCWS Authors (Apr. 13)

5. [MIT Spouses & Partners Connect] Dessert Contest (Apr. 15)

6. Legatum Fellowship: Calling all MIT Impact Entrepreneurs (Apr. 15)

7. CityDays MIT2016 (Apr. 19)

8. Activist Research Methods in Science and Technology by Prof. Max
Liboiron (Apr. 22)

9. [MITWGS] MIT Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2016 (throughout Apr.)

10. MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series (now - May)

*Outside MIT:*

11. Harvard/MIT McKinsey & Company Information Session (Apr. 4)

12. 2016 Harvard Horizons Symposium (Apr. 5)

13. [Harvard] Screening: CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap and Chat with
Director (Apr. 7)

14. Feminist Strategies in the Classroom and Beyond (Apr. 9)

15. [MASS AWIS] Diverse Careers in Science Speed Networking Event (April 22)

16. [MASS AWIS] The O2O2O Principle: Building Strategic Networks That Have
BIG Power (May 12)

***********************

Dear GW at MIT Members,

This Thursday we are holding an undergraduate / graduate women panel and
networking lunch in the Margaret Cheney room. If you haven’t been there
before, this is a good opportunity to get involved.

The GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference is next week. Check out the
announcement below for all the amazing events!

The GWAMIT Board

*=====================*

*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*=====================*

************** GW at MIT **************

*1. **April Undergraduate/Graduate Women Panel and Networking Lunch*

*When:* Thursday, April 7th, 11:00am - 12:30pm

*Where: *Margaret Cheney Room MIT Building 3-310

*RSVP*: Brooke Goodman goodmanb at mit.edu (by Monday, April 4th)

Calling all graduate women! On Thursday, April 7, the Margaret Cheney Room
will host its monthly Undergraduate Women's Lunch. This month, however, we
want to invite you to join in on the conversation!

The April lunch will take place from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., with the first
part (11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.) being a graduate women panel and the second
part (11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) consisting of lunch and informal
networking/social time for undergraduate women to be able to connect with
graduate women at MIT.

Participation will be limited to the first 25 graduate women to RSVP, so
please contact Brooke Goodman (goodmanb at mit.edu) by Monday, April 4 if you
are interested in helping out with the informal networking lunch portion.
We greatly appreciate your help, and all of the insight you'll be able to
provide for the undergraduate women!

*2. **GWAMIT 2016 Empowerment Conference: Be Gutsy!*

*When: *Monday, April 11th – Friday, April 15th

*Where: *Various

*RSVP:* link <https://gwamitempowerment2016.wordpress.com/>

Come to GWAMIT's annual Spring Empowerment Conference 2016. The theme this
year is BE GUTSY!

Some of the exciting events in store are:

o    Keynote by Caroline Paul - The first woman firefighter in San
Francisco, Olympic ice-lugger, author of "The Gutsy Girl" (a book about the
glorious things that happen when you unshackle from fear and open up to
exhilaration) and the inspiration for this year's theme!

o    Women Who Do Extreme Science - a panel featuring women with
no-holds-barred attitudes towards science! They have detected gravitational
waves from a black hole, studied glaciers in Greenland, measured the ozone
layer in Antartica and even sequenced sewage right here in Cambridge!

o    Be A Gutsy Communicator - learn how to be one from a variety of
speakers - author/carpenter, professor, honey bee researcher, and a social
entrepreneur - on this amazing panel!

o    Life as a Scientific Editor - hear it straight from Dr. Allyson Evans,
MIT alum and Senior Scientific Editor at Molecular Cell.

o    Women in STEM Networking Lunch - come listen to leaders in
male-dominated fields discuss their successes and challenges.

o    Empowerment Workshops for the Inner and Outer You - bellydancing,
comedy night, mindfulness, and yoga!

*All events are FREE to attend and FOOD will be served!*

Attendees who arrive early will also be able to get their hands on
exclusive, limited edition GWAMIT swag!

Register soon - spaces are limited and going fast!

In collaboration with Women in Chemistry (WIC), Post-Doctoral Organisation
for Women Engaged in Research (POWER) and Sexual Abuse Awareness Month
(SAAM). Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if
you have questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous
leaders and events on our website
<http://gwamit.org/spring-empowerment-conference/>.

************** MIT **************

*3. [MIT Museum] Speed Geek Your Way Through Bacterial Bonanza*

*When: *Thursday, April 7th, 6:30pm – 8:30pm

*Where: *MIT Museum, 265 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139

*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bacterial-bonanza-the-mit-museum-tickets-22925145728?aff=es2&utm_source=MIT+Museum&utm_campaign=5a99c21baf-2016+-+Bacterial+Bonanza&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_84e5098f61-5a99c21baf-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%282016+-+Bacterial+Bonanza%29>

There's more than meets the eye when it comes to microbiomes—the
microscopic communities of bacteria that live in our bodies, food, and
environment. Join the fun and "speed geek" your way through the MIT Museum
as you learn from experts about the microbiomes that shape our world!

Free, but pre-registration
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bacterial-bonanza-the-mit-museum-tickets-22925145728?aff=es2&utm_source=MIT+Museum&utm_campaign=5a99c21baf-2016+-+Bacterial+Bonanza&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_84e5098f61-5a99c21baf-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%282016+-+Bacterial+Bonanza%29>
requested.

*4. A Celebration of Books by GCWS Authors*

*When:* Wednesday, April 13th, 5:30pm – 7:30pm

*Where:* The Moore Room, MIT Building 6-321

*Info:* link <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/>

*Contact:* Andi Sutton, arsutton at mit.edu

We welcome you to join us at this reception as we toast to local faculty
who have recently published books on topics in Women’s, Gender, and
Sexuality Studies. We will be celebrating over 30 books published since
2013 and the evening will include a book table where you can peruse copies
of the featured works and very short book talks by our featured authors.

For questions about the series, to add your book or article to the list, or
to RSVP, please contact Andi Sutton, GCWS Program Manager at
arsutton at mit.edu and visit our website <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/>.

*About Feminisms Unbound:*

The Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies (GCWS) is pleased to sponsor
Feminisms Unbound, an event series featuring debates that focus on feminist
concerns, theories, and practices in this contemporary moment. The series
is intended to foster conversations and community among Boston-area
feminist intellectuals and activists. The series, in its open
configuration, endeavors to allow the greatest measure of engagement across
multiple disciplinary trajectories, and a full array of feminist
investments. The event organizers, GCWS affiliated faculty Kimberly Juanita
Brown, Visiting Scholar in Gender Studies, Pembroke Center, Brown
University, Lisa Lowe, Professor of English and American Studies, Tufts
University, and Jyoti Puri, Professor of Sociology, Simmons College, have
programmed four topic-based discussions in this series.

*5. [MIT Spouses & Partners Connect] Dessert Contest *

*When:* Friday, April 15th, 5:30pm

*Where: *MIT Building W20-208

*Register:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10PrFR3QQpqjIchNpxJ6eMHvf-fqtMQqM2E9f0yHuPFE/viewform?c=0&w=1>

MIT Spouses and Partners Connect and MIT Postdoctoral Association are
organizing a Dessert Contest on April 15th at 5:30 p.m. W20-208. Be
prepared to bring your desserts to win !!!

We will have two categories in which you can participate --Chocolate
Desserts and Non-Chocolate Desserts.Each contestant will prepare 20 dessert
portions for the judges. Contestants will get a $25 Tech Cash card at the
event for their expenses.

Registration is open from on March 17th through April 8th.

If you love sweets but don't want to compete, attend the event. Everyone
will enjoy a special buffet of international desserts and coffee (provided
by local bakeries), only but two lucky attendees will be chosen at random
to sample the contestants' desserts and vote for their favorite.

*6. Apply to Legatum Fellowship: Calling all MIT Impact Entrepreneurs*

*Deadline:* April 15

*Apply:* link <http://legatum.mit.edu/about-us>

-Are you committed to scaling impact in the developing world through
innovation and entrepreneurship?

-Are you looking to build the knowledge, capabilities, mindset and networks
to launch and scale your idea?

-Are you looking to be part of a highly-motivated community of
impact-driven entrepreneurial leaders at MIT?

If so, the Legatum Fellowship and Seed Grant Programs might be for you!

See here <http://legatum.mit.edu/about-us> for open Legatum Center
opportunities. Apply now!

*Legatum Fellowship Deadline: April 15, 2016*

*7. CityDays MIT2016*

*When:* Service Day: Tuesday, April 19th; Deadline: Tuesday, April 5th

*Where: *Cambridge and Boston

*Info:* link <http://mit2016.mit.edu/together-service/citydays>

*Contact:* aprilcityday at mit.edu

-Join MIT in celebrating 100 years in Cambridge by volunteering for a few
hours at one of our community partner sites

-We're sending hundreds of MIT volunteers to over 30 volunteer sites with
community organizations across the Greater Boston area

-Open to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and MIT retired faculty and
staff!

-Sign up as an individual or with a group; we'll cover the cost of
transportation and organize logistics

-Learn more at http://mit2016.mit.edu/together-service/citydays

*8. Activist Research Methods in Science and Technology by Prof. Max
Liboiron*

*When:* Friday, April 22nd, 4:00pm

*Where: *MIT Building E51-345

Sometimes our research is driven by wanting to do good in the world, make
an impact, and create social or material change. There are research methods
and methodologies developed specifically for action that can help us
contribute to those changes. Dr. Max Liboiron, Director of Civic Laboratory
for Environmental Action Research (CLEAR), will lead a talk and discussion
about how research can foster change not only after data has been collected
and analyzed or after prototypes are complete, but during the entire
research and development process.

Dr. Liboiron is an Assistant Professor in Sociology, Geography, and
Environmental Sciences at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Liboiron's
research focuses on how harmful yet invisible threats such as disasters,
toxicants, and marine plastics become visible in science and activism, and
how these methods of representation relate to action. Liboiron is director
of Civic Laboratory for Environmental Action Research (CLEAR), which
creates open source, feminist, and citizen science technologies for
monitoring plastic pollution, and is the managing editor of Discard
Studies, a public online forum for audiences interested in research on
waste and pollution.

This event is made possible with the support of Graduate Student Life
Grants and the GSC Collaboration Fund. Hosted by the MIT Waste Alliance,
MIT Water Club, GSC Sustainability Subcommittee, and Canadians Club.

*Refreshments provided!*

*9. [MITWGS] MIT Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2016*

*When:* throughout April

*Where:* various

*Info:* link <http://elephant.mit.edu/>

MIT Sexual Assault Awareness Month is April this year. There are a host of
events planned for the month, ranging from movie screenings and workshops
to VPR advocate drop-in hours and survivor-only events. Check the website
http://elephant.mit.edu/, up and running with more details on each of the
events. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence
of our friends.

*10. **MIT Work-Life Center Spring 2016 Seminar Series*

*When:* now - May

*Info:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

*Register:* link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Spring
2016 Seminar Series. Our presenters, who are experts in their fields, will
share research-based strategies, tips, and information on more than 25
topics, including changing how you respond to stress; supporting your
child’s emotional and intellectual development; understanding the U.S.
college admissions process; navigating life as a young professional; and
learning how to help an aging family member.

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required.

We believe these seminars and workshops will help MIT community members
find better balance in their professional and personal lives, and
appreciate your help in communicating this information to the broader MIT
community.

************** Outside MIT **************

*11. **Harvard/MIT McKinsey & Company Information Session*

*When:* Monday, April 4th, 6:30pm - 8:00pm

*Where:* The Charles Hotel

*RSVP:* link
<https://mckinsey.secure.force.com/Event/careers/APD_Spring_2016_Harvard/MIT_Information_Session_1377>

Join us on April 4 at the Charles Hotel (6:30-8pm ET) to discuss upcoming
opportunities for Harvard and MIT APDs (including PhDs, Postdocs, non-MBA
Masters, MDs, and interns, residents, and fellows).

Presetation agenda includes:

•  Introduction to McKinsey and our work

•  Insight and full-time opportunities

•  Application process

•  Group Q&A

•  Reception with McKinsey consultants

**This event is for folks finishing programs in 2017. We are no longer
considering 2016 graduates for upcoming positions or opportunities. If you
are finishing in 2016, please explore our Experienced Professional website
once you have completed your program.

**Non-MBA Masters must have finished undergrad prior to July 2014 to be
considered as an APD candidate. If you are a Masters candidate who finished
undergrad after July 2014, you are a Business Analyst candidate and should
apply as such on a later schedule (next fall).

*12. 2016 Harvard Horizons Symposium*

*When:* Tuesday, April 5th, 6:00pm

*Where:* Sanders Theatre, Harvard University, Cambridge

*Info:* link <http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/harvard_horizons>

The Harvard Horizons Symposium features short talks by the Harvard Horizons
Scholars that highlight the exciting scholarship of Harvard’s PhD students
across the disciplines. A reception will follow in the Memorial Hall
transept.

*The event is free and open to the public*.

You can watch videos from the 2015 Harvard Horizons Symposium at
www.gsas.harvard.edu/harvardhorizons

*13. [Harvard] Screening: CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap and Chat with
Director *

*When:* Thursday, April 7th, 6:00pm

*Where:* Askwith Hall, 13 Appian Way, HGSE

*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/screening-of-code-debugging-the-gender-gap-and-panel-with-director-robin-hauser-reynolds-tickets-23103326672>

Join us to explore technology's diversity gap through the lens of acclaimed
documentary CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap. CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap
exposes the dearth of American female and minority software engineers and
explores the reasons for the gap. CODE raises the question: what would
society gain from having more women and minorities code?

Arrive between 6 and 6:30 to grab popcorn and a good seat, as the screening
will begin at 6:30 sharp. At 8:10, we'll begin our panel discussion with
CODE's own director Robin Hauser Reynolds, Harvard Business School
Professor Robin Ely, Harvard Kennedy School Professor Robert Livingston,
and Joan Parsons of Silicon Valley Bank. Then at 9, we'll continue the
conversation over drinks and snacks at our post-panel reception in the
Eliot Lyman room (just a floor up from Askwith).

Sponsored by Silicon Valley Bank and hosted by the Harvard Business School
Digital Initiative, CODE at HBS, and Harvard Alumni for Education.

*14. Feminist Strategies in the Classroom and Beyond*

*When:* Saturday, April 9th, 8:30am – 5:00pm

*Where:* Mandel Center for the Humanities, Brandeis University, 415 South
Street, MS 092, Waltham, MA 02453

*Info:* link
<http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016FeministClassroom.html>

*RSVP:* gcws at mit.edu

This symposium seeks to elicit practical advice from faculty members and
graduate students across the disciplines - as well as writers and activists
- about feminist, hands-on approaches to learning, teaching, knowledge
production, and publishing. It will take place at the Mandel Center for the
Humanities at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA. The symposium will
include four 90-minute roundtable discussions:

-How to do Feminist Scholarship Anywhere

-How to Teach Feminism Today

-How to Start New Feminist Research

-How to Publish Feminist Scholarship Everywhere

The roundtable discussion topics and presenters, listed below and on our
website <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/2016FeministClassroom.html>,
were chosen specifically to unite theory and practice from a variety of
disciplines and institutions—providing the opportunity to build skills and
discuss strategies in feminist pedagogy, research, and praxis.

This event is free. Space is limited and RSVP is required. RSVP to
gcws at mit.edu.

*15. [MASS AWIS] Diverse Careers in Science Speed Networking Event*

*When:* Friday, April 22nd, 5:45pm - 9:00pm

*Where:* 3rd Floor Atrium, 43 Vassar St, Cambridge (MIT Building 46)

*Info:* link <http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/Home.aspx>

*Register:* link
<http://mass-awis.org/exploring-career-options-in-stem-speed-networking-friday-april-22nd/>

This event is for women and men within the scientific community (undergrad
to early career), interested in exploring diverse career options in
science. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with 10-15
experienced individuals who will give insights into their chosen
professions and career trajectories. The event will be held in a
speed-networking fashion with participants switching tables every 15
minutes for a total of 5 sessions. Please note this is not a career fair,
you may exchange business cards.

Projected Career areas: Consulting, Patent Law, Research & Development,
Publishing, Business Development, Project Management, Medical Science
Liaison, Sales/Marketing, Academia, Statistics, Core Facility management.

*Agenda: *

5:45-6:00 pm  Registration and Networking over light fare

6:00-6:30 pm  Introduction and instructions

6:30-8:00 pm  Speed Networking (5-6 15 min sessions)

8:00-8:55 pm  General Networking, Desserts, Conclusion

*Fees:*

Early Bird Special: General Admission $20 • MASS AWIS members $10

After April 1st: $25 and $12, respectively

*16. The O2O2O Principle: Building Strategic Networks That Have BIG Power
featuring Mari Anne Snow*

*When:* Thursday, May 12th, 5:30pm – 8:00pm

*Where:* AbbVie Bioresearch Center, 100 Research Drive, Worcester, MA 01605

*Contact: *Kristie Kapinas, Kristina.kapinas at gmail.com

*Register:* link
<http://mass-awis.org/the-o2o2o-principle-building-strategic-networks-that-have-big-power-thursday-may-12th/>

This event is our annual Spring Social co-hosted by MASS AWIS and WPI AWIS
Affiliate. It is geared for women and men within the scientific community
(from undergrads to mid-career levels) who are interested in developing
their strategic networking skills in an interactive workshop.

Networks are an essential element to a successful career in any field.
Today we are fortunate to have great face-to-face networking opportunities
as well as easy to use digital tools that can extend relationships beyond
an initial meeting. No more passive business card exchanges, participants
at this workshop will learn modern techniques for building and expanding
their networks to support their career goals.

Mari Anne Snow is founder of Sophaya, a start-up dedicated to building
modern products and services for organizations with virtual teams and
remote professionals. Mari Anne has experienced first-hand the critical
power of a well-cultivated network and she is a strong advocate of
investing time and effort to build and maintain one for long term career
success.

Refreshments will be served. Registration is limited to 60 people.
Registration is FREE, but is limited to Abbvie Employees, MASS AWIS, and
AWIS WPI Affiliate MEMBERS ONLY. Parking is available on site at no cost.
Please bring a valid ID.

Please email Kristie Kapinas (MASS AWIS Events West Co-Chair) at
Kristina.kapinas at gmail.com with any questions.

****************************

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*

*Visit us: **http://gwamit.org* <http://gwamit.org/>

*Blog: **http://gwamit.blogspot.com* <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>

*Twitter: **http://twitter.com/gwamitweb* <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

*Facebook: **http://www.facebook.com/gwamit*