[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of September 21, 2015

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Sep 21 18:04:17 EDT 2015

[image: Inline images 2]
Dear GW at MIT Members,

The deadline for the *GWAMIT Mentorship Program* survey/application forms
has been extended to this Tuesday, 9/22!  Don't miss out on this awesome
opportunity to network with local professionals.

This Thursday, Intel is hosting a dinner and discussion with GWAMIT. Talk
to recruiters before the career fair, and enjoy some delicious catering!

If you want to get advertisements for more events or coordinate attendance
with other GWAMIT members, sign up for our new social mailing list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/gwamit-social>.

The GWAMIT Board

*Send your ideas to:* gwamit-exec at mit.edu
*Send your announcements to:* gwamit-sec at mit.edu
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org

*======== IN BRIEF========*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Details & Survey for 2015-2016 GWAMIT Mentoring (*Tomorrow!*)
2. Pre-Career Fair Dinner and Discussion with Intel (Sept. 24th)
3. Dr. AnnMaria De Mars: As Diverse as Tech Gets (Sept. 28th)
4. HST-BioE Women's Night (Oct 8th)

*MIT:*
5. Graduate Community Fellows Positions OPEN for 2015-2016 (Now!)
6. Join the Queer Graduate Women mailing list
7. Join the Women's Water Polo Team
8. Join the MIT Women's Ice Hockey Team
9. Apply for MIT Waste Alliance Leadership Position (*Tomorrow!*)
10. Screening of The Other Song (Sept. 23rd)
11. Upcoming Career-Related Events (Sept. 21st - 25th)
12. Four Weeks for America Info Session (Sept. 28th)
13. MIT Work-Life Center Fall Seminar Series (Sept - Dec)

*Outside MIT:*
14. Free LGBTQ-Related Hair and Makeup Consultations (Ongoing)
15. Profiles in Leadership: Women of Color Elected to Office (Sept. 29th)
16. An Evening with Rebecca Skloot (Sept. 29th)
17. Cambridge School Volunteers Orientation Kick-Off (Sept. 30th)
18. Register for the 2015 Scientista Symposium (Sept. 30th)
19. Volunteer for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk of Boston (Oct.
3rd-4th)
20. Psychology and the Other Conference (Oct. 9th - 11th)
21. [NRMN] Diversity Toward Institutional Transformation (Oct. 17th)
22. [MASS AWIS] Member Scholarship (Oct. 16th)
23. [MASS AWIS] Writing in Science - Career Panel (Oct. 20th)

*====================FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS====================*

*********** GW at MIT ***********

*1. DEADLINE EXTENDED: Application for 2015-2015 GWAMIT Mentoring*
*Deadline*: Tuesday, September 22
*Survey (Application)*: link <http://bit.ly/menteesurvey2015>
*Contact*: link <gwamit-mentor at mit.edu>

With the start of the semester, the *GWAMIT Mentoring Program* has opened
applications for women graduate students to be matched with a mentor. In
the program, graduate women are mentored by faculty, alums, or Boston-area
professionals. Mentorship can be sought in areas ranging from careers to
more personal matters.

If you are interested in participating as a mentee this school year, please
fill out the survey here *by September 22nd (TOMORROW)*:
http://bit.ly/menteesurvey2015

This year, mentees will be able to *choose your own mentor* based on mentor
profiles that we will distribute soon. Mentees will be given priority in
selecting mentors *in the order you fill out the survey*, so please don’t
wait!

If you have any questions, please e-mail gwamit-mentor at mit.edu.

*2. GWAMIT-Intel Dinner**When*: Thursday, September 24, 6:00 - 7:00 PM
*Where*: Spofford Room (MIT Building 1-236 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=1>)
*RSVP*: link <http://bit.ly/1iwyw2P>

Before the career fair on Friday, Intel and GWAMIT are hosting a dinner to
allow informal discussion about what it's like to work at the company. All
are welcome to join!

The topic is open to anything of interest, and we encourage questions
around work/life balance, working in a male dominated field, value of
graduate degree, what the application process is like, etc. This is your
time to ask whatever is on your mind!

Dinner from Whole Foods will be provided!

*3. Dr. AnnMaria De Mars: As Diverse as Tech Gets*
*When*: Monday, September 28, 1:00 - 2:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 3-270 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=3>
*RSVP*: link <https://goo.gl/0Ziv8j>

An informal discussion with a judo world champion on the psychology of
success in the tech industry.

AnnMaria De Mars is the CEO and founder of 7 Generation Games, a startup
that develops educational video games in which students learn about math
and Native American history. She is also the president of The Julia Group,
a consulting firm offering software development for statistical analysis
and psychometrics. The mother of four daughters, she was the first American
to win the world judo championships. In 2013, she was listed as one of
Forbes’ 40 Women to Watch Over 40.

In this discussion, Dr. De Mars will share some of her perspectives on
breaking conventions and achieving success in spite of the gender bias.

Light fare and refreshments will be available.

This event is open to all, but space is limited and pre-registration is
encouraged <https://goo.gl/0Ziv8j>.

*4. HST and BioE Women's Event*
*When*: Thursday, October 8, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
*Where*: Meadhall in Kendall Square (www.themeadhall.com)

This event is being organized to function as a social gathering for
graduate women in the HST and Bioengineering departments to meet each
other. Please join us for some drinks, fun, and new friendships!

Sponsored by GWAMIT.

*********** MIT ***********

*5. Graduate Community Fellows Positions OPEN for 2015-2016*
*When*: Now!
*Questions*: link <juliekuk at mit.edu>
*Apply*: link <http://odge.mit.edu/community/gcf/>

One opening is still available in the Graduate Community Fellows program in
the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education!

Graduate Community Fellows are a cadre of graduate students who work on
projects and assignments that enhance MIT graduate community in unique
ways.  Fellows receive partial stipend support for the length of their
appointment period.  Each Fellow reports to a staff member either in the
Office of the Dean for Graduate Education or in a partner organization, and
focuses on a specific project.

Open positions are as follows:

   - Institute Community and Equity Office

Join the fellows program for positions that are fun and rewarding!  Please
see our web site for position descriptions and an application form (
http://odge.mit.edu/community/gcf/). Please contact Julie Kukharenko (
juliekuk at mit.edu) with any questions.

*6. Join the Women's Club Water Polo Team*
*When*: Practices Mondays and Thursdays, 7:30 - 9:30 PM
*Where*: MIT Z-Center <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=W35> Pool
*Contact*: email <polo-ditch at mit.edu>

The women's club water polo team includes members of all levels from
beginners to advanced. Our team includes grad students and undergrads. Come
to one of our practices at the Z-Center Pool or email polo-ditch at mit.edu
for more information.

*7. Join the MIT Women's Ice Hockey Team*
*When: *Now
*Contact*: email <club-hockey-officers at mit.edu>

We welcome players of all experience levels. Whether you've never skated
before, or have been playing hockey since before you could walk, the club
is a great opportunity to further develop your skills and have some fun in
a team environment.

If you'd like to come join us on the ice, email us:
club-hockey-officers at mit.edu

*8. Join the Queer Graduate Women Mailing List*
*When*: Now
*Join List*: link <http://goo.gl/forms/gPjErizBOZ>

Are you a queer graduate woman at MIT?  Join our mailing list!

We are Grad Queer Women who organize casual get-togethers to build a sense
of community and make friends.  In the past we've done bar nights and
lunches.  In the future, we plan to include outings to queer events around
Boston, faculty dinners and get-togethers with other schools. If you’re
interested, fill out this form <http://goo.gl/forms/gPjErizBOZ> to receive
emails about upcoming events, and we look forward to meeting you!
Please RSVP here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1e82CFLv9iLmPfYzgvQRtdeiQpPQwwK-tNZQfiHBIEO4/viewform>
so we can order enough food!

*9. Apply for MIT Waste Alliance leadership position*
*Deadline*: Tuesday, September 22
*Apply*: link <http://bit.ly/MITWA-apply>
*Contact*: email <trashiscash at mit.edu>

MIT Waste Alliance brings researchers, entrepreneurs, and policymakers on
waste-sector related topics. Past activities have included: guest speakers,
field trips, poster sessions, student elevator pitches, etc. We are seeking
volunteers on a couple of positions on the new leadership in preparation
for our Fall 2015 activities. If you would like to play an instrumental
role expanding the group, please apply for leadership position.

Estimated commitment: 5-10 h/week.
Apply here: bit.ly/MITWA-apply
Website: mitwastealliance.weebly.com

*10. Screening of The Other Song and Q&A with Director Saba Dewan*
*When*: Wednesday, September 23, 7:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 3-370 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=3>

Women's and Gender Studies at MIT & The Alliance for a Secular and
Democratic South Asia cordially invite you to the screening of The Other
Song followed by a Q & A with Saba Dewan (Director)

In 1935 Rasoolan Bai, the well-known singer form Varanasi, recorded for the
gramophone a love song that she would never sing again, 'My breasts are
wounded don't throw flowers at me.' With a variation of her song, 'My heart
is wounded, don't throw flowers at me,' the 1935 recording faded from
public memory and eventually got lost. More than 70 years later the film
travels through Varanasi to search for the forgotten song. This journey
opens a Pandora's box of life stories, memories, half remembered songs, and
histories that for long have been banished into oblivion. It brings the
film face to face with the enigmatic tawaifs, or the courtesans who until a
century back were amongst the most educated and privileged of Indian women.
Today they stand recast as deviant; their arts, obscene; their story and
that of the lost song linked to the making of modern India and the
transitions around the control and censorship of female sexuality and
cultural expression.

*11. Upcoming Career-Related Events*
*When*: September 22 - 25
*Where*: Varies
*Info/Registration*: link <http://bit.ly/careerbridge>

The Fall Career Fair is Friday, September 25, 2015 and Career Services is
offering workshops, employer resume critiques, and extended drop-in hours
to help you prepare for this important event. Register for these events on
bit.ly/careerbridge.

   - *Resumes and Cover Letters 101* (Tuesday, Sept 22, 5:30-7:00pm, 3-270)
   - *The Employer Perspective: Careers in Gaming* (Wednesday, Sept 23,
   6:00-7:30pm, 4-237)
   - *Resume Drop-ins* (16-159)
      - Sept 22 – Sept 24, 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM

*12. Four Weeks for America Info Session*
*When*: Monday, September 27, 7:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 8-205 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=8>
*Info*: link <http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/fourweeks/timeline.html>
*Apply*: link
<http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/fourweeks/four-weeks-apply.html>

The MIT Public Service Center and Teach For America have teamed up to offer
MIT students an exciting opportunity for IAP 2016. Spend your IAP solving
problems that matter, learn about America’s education system, and make a
difference for kids -- all expenses paid.*

Ever wonder what it’s like to teach in a small, rural school or a big
inner-city classroom? Want to inspire kids about science and math? Want to
learn about educational change and policy? Or, have you wondered what Teach
For America is like, and don’t want to wait to find out?

Then apply
<http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/fourweeks/four-weeks-apply.html>to
participate in the Four Weeks for America Program! Projects may include
helping a teacher figure out how to:

   - Develop a math or science unit curriculum
   - Perform data analysis on classroom performance
   - Research tools to increase impact in the classroom

Interested? Challenged? Excited? We are too! Read more about the expectations
and timeline <http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/whatwedo/fourweeks/timeline.html>
for the program.

Questions? Email 4foramerica at mit.edu, or attend the info session on
September 27th at 7:00 PM in 8-205.

*The Small Print: The PSC will pay for your travel expenses, give you a
food stipend, and help with materials expenses if they are needed. Teach
For America will arrange for your work and your accommodations (which
likely means sleeping on the couch or in the guest room of the teacher you
are working with).

*13. MIT Work-Life Center Fall Seminar Series*
*When*: September - December
*Where*: See link for details
*Info*: link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>
*Register*: link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

We are pleased to announce the launch of the MIT Work-Life Center’s Fall
Seminar Series <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>.  Our presenters,
who are experts in their fields, will share research-based strategies,
tips, and information on more than 25 topics, including:

   - Student loan repayment strategies
   - Developing your negotiation and communication skills for challenging
   conversations
   - Eating healthy and staying active on your own schedule and budget
   - Buying your first home
   - Parenting
   - Eldercare
   - And more!

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required
<http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>.

*********** Outside MIT ***********
*14. Free LGBTQ-Related Hair and Makeup Consultations*
*When*: Contact to set up a time
*Where*: Hair by Christine and Co, 217 Highland Ave, Somerville
*Email*: link <christine at hairbychristineandco.com>
*Phone*: 617-776-6470

My name is Christine. I own my own hair salon located in Somerville. We are
an extremely LGBTQ friendly salon and I am looking to extend my hand and
services to help out the transgender community. There is still a lot of
judgement that the LGBTQ community is faced with and I want to make sure
that  HAIR by Christine & co is always viewed as an absolutely NON
JUDGEMENT establishment. We just want people to walk in and be themselves
and leave a better version of themselves.

My heart has been deeply affected with all the stories and media
highlighting the transgender community and what the struggles are that they
go through on a daily basis. I feel compelled to help. I am offering FREE
makeup and hair consultations for those transitioning to help make them
feel beautiful and more confident on a daily basis. I have been working
with a client Michelle on her transition and it has been amazingly
rewarding for not only her but myself. I have always had such an open heart
for the LGBTQ community but now I feel like I have something to offer that
could really be great!

You can find me via email at christine at hairbychristineandco.com or by phone
at 617-543-3574. The salon phone number is 617-776-6470 and is located at
217 Highland Avenue, Somerville. It is minutes from the Davis Square red
line Train Station.

*15. Profiles in Leadership: Women of Color Elected to Office in
Massachuset**ts*
*When*: Tuesday, September 29, 1:15 - 2:45 PM
*Register*: link <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XHXZNGW>

Join us for the release of the first-of-its-kind guide to women of color
elected in Massachusetts.

A networking reception will follow a brief speaking program.
*Emcee*: WCVB-TV's Karen Holmes Ward

Cosponsored by UMass Boston's Center for Women in Politics and Public
Policy and the Women's Pipeline for Change.
Cohosted by the Massachusetts Black and Latino Legislative Caucus and the
Massachusetts Caucus of Women Legislators

We hope that you will join us at this free, public event: PLEASE REGISTER
HERE <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XHXZNGW>

For disability-related accommodations, including dietary accommodations,
please visit www.ada.umb.edu.

*16. [Radcliffe Institute] An Evening with Rebecca Skloot*
*When*: Tuesday, September 29, 4:30 PM
*Where*: Knafel Center, 10 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA
*Register*: link
<http://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2015-rebecca-skloot-lecture>

Rebecca Skloot is author of the award-winning book The Immortal Life of
Henrietta Lacks. Part detective story, part scientific odyssey, and part
family saga, the story’s multilayered approach raises questions about race,
class, and bioethics in America. At this event, Skloot will speak about the
book and her path to writing it. She is currently working on her next book,
which will be about humans, animals, science, and ethics.

Paula A. Johnson, professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and the
executive director of the Connors Center for Women’s Health and Gender
Biology, will provide introductory remarks and moderate a panel discussion,
following the lecture, about the intersection of biomedical science,
research ethics, poverty, and race.

Register online by visiting
http://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2015-rebecca-skloot-lecture

This event is free and open to the public.

*17. Cambridge School Volunteers Orientation Kick-Off*
*When*: Wednesday, September 30, 5:30 - 7:30 PM
*Where*: Cambridge Rindge and Latin School
*Info*: link <http://www.csvinc.org/kickoff2015/>
*Register*: link
<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/kickoff-volunteer-orientation-registration-17532271496?ref=ebtn>

Do you want to make a difference in the life of a student who is
academically at-risk? Do you have 1 hour a week to give? Join our team of
enthusiastic tutors at Cambridge School Volunteers who are currently being
matched with 6th-8th graders for homework help and academic support in our
weekly in-school Learning Centers.

Cambridge School Volunteers (CSV) is a non-profit organization supporting
the academic and personal success of Cambridge public school children. CSV
develops programs that match caring and competent adults with students of
all needs and levels to provide tutoring and mentoring.

Learning Centers meet after school (3pm - 4:15 pm), on Tuesday, Wednesday,
or Thursday for one-to-one tutoring at least once a week in all of the
Cambridge public upper schools. All locations are easily accessible via
public transportation. We provide orientation and training.  A teacher and
an organization staff member are present to support the student and tutor
pairs in their weekly sessions.

To take the first step towards making a difference, email Kasey Appleman at
kappleman at cpsd.us. Learn more at www.csvinc.org

*18. Register for the 2015 Scientista Symposium*
*When*: Friday - Sunday, October 16 - 18
*Deadline*: Wednesday, September 30
*Where*: Microsoft Office, 640 8th Avenue, New York, NY
*Info*: link
<http://scientistafoundation.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7151035624221fc772f3ff2eb&id=65e32732db&e=53638e7b30>
*Register*: link <https://scientistasymposium2015.splashthat.com/>

Clear your calendar - It's going down! You're invited to take part in the 2015
Scientista Symposium
<http://scientistafoundation.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7151035624221fc772f3ff2eb&id=65e32732db&e=53638e7b30>!
Come one, come all, bring a guest, and hang loose. This is going to be epic!

This year's conference is more jam-packed with opportunities than ever.
Come find your new job, present your research or apps, take free
programming classes, or simply attend to hear some of the most prominent
women in STEM.

If you're a college student, graduate student, or recent grad in STEM
looking to for a little motivation, inspiration, and looking to find out
about a wide breadth of career opportunities at your fingertips, you're not
going to want to miss this!

*Early Bird Tickets* are now on sale until September 30th -- register today
<http://scientistafoundation.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7151035624221fc772f3ff2eb&id=1973ace8ed&e=53638e7b30>
to take advantage of the discount!

*Registration *to present in the Poster Fair
<http://scientistafoundation.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7151035624221fc772f3ff2eb&id=8f6f997807&e=53638e7b30>
and Hack Expo
<http://scientistafoundation.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7151035624221fc772f3ff2eb&id=54b81d6d12&e=53638e7b30>
is also open -- don't miss this valuable opportunity to enhance your resume
and enter a chance to win scholarships (over $4000 in prize money to-date!).

*Wondering if the Scientista Symposium is for you? *
The Symposium is open to ANY person interested in learning about STEM, from
freshmen just starting to explore to seniors looking to find out more about
opportunities. No background or level of expertise required.

*19. Volunteer for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk of Boston*
*When*: Saturday and Sunday, October 3 - 4
*Where*: DCR Hatch Shell, 47 David G Mugar Way, Boston, MA
*Info*: link
<http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/R?i=Z2KwEP2sLFKwz1P1Gnkrpg>
*Register (group)*: email <erin.sullivan at cancer.org>
*Register (individual)*: link
<http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/R?i=RzwPxghVddFC9e1dbQ1_SA>
Remember to join the fight. Volunteer!

Almost everyone has been affected by breast cancer in some way. By
supporting our Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk of Boston
<http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/R?i=APXXUa7Je63n3x_Bx3Q58g>, you
can help us finish the fight against the disease.

Please join us as a volunteer on Sunday October 4, 2015, when Making
Strides of Boston will unite the community to honor and celebrate breast
cancer survivors, educate women about the importance of prevention and
early detection, and raise funds to help the Society do the most for people
with breast cancer today to end the disease tomorrow.

Over 1,000 volunteers are needed during walk weekend to make this event a
success. Please consider donating your time! Volunteer groups from your
school, club, office, or organization are encouraged. There are many great
opportunities to choose from
<http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/R?i=Z2KwEP2sLFKwz1P1Gnkrpg>!

We are still in need of Saturday, October 3rd  set-up help and Sunday,
October 4th route monitors, finish line greeters, and clean-up crew!

To register
<http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/site/R?i=ZbGuUcBEDb3vyli5pmyvDg> as a
volunteer group please contact Erin Sullivan at erin.sullivan at cancer.org or
call 508-270-4643. To register as an individual or view the volunteer
options please visit us at www.makingstrideswalk.org/bostonma

*20. Psychology and the Other Conference 2015*
*When*: Friday - Sunday, October 9 - 11
*Where*: 99 Brattle St, Cambridge, MA
*Register*: link <http://www.psychologyandtheother.com>

Plenary Addresses:

   - *Richard Kearney,* Boston College
   - *John Panteleimon Manoussakis*, College of the Holy Cross
   - *Judith Butler*, UC Berkeley
   - *Sue Grand*, New York University
   - *Janice Gump*, Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy and
   Psychoanalysis
   - *Susannah Heschel*, Dartmouth College

Register now at: www.psychologyandtheother.com

Our interdisciplinary conference aims to enrich conversations at the
intersections of philosophy, psychology, and theological/religious studies,
particularly emphasizing scholarship around the notion of the “Other.”

*CEU offerings, and event details, are available on the conference website.
*Up to 20 CEUs available for LMHC, Social Workers and Psychologists*

*21. [NRMN] Diversity Toward Institutional Transformation*
*When*: Friday, October 16, 12:30 - 4:00 PM
*Where*: Murray Function Room, Boston College
*RSVP*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OMAPJ1wGBmys3IX4bbC6egy24bNf0sCvSi3AtQ-nmTg/viewform>

The National Research Mentoring Network to Diversify the Biomedical
Workforce (NRMN**), headquartered at Boston College, invites you to a forum
where outstanding leaders who have led innovative initiatives to address
this issue on their campuses for undergraduates, graduate students,
postdoctoral fellows and faculty, will discuss their programs. This
presentation will allow for an open discussion on the best practices and
how you might implement change at your institution to create a more
inclusive environment. Participate in our panel discussion about the
challenges and opportunities of diversifying the science workforce, and
network with other leaders committed to institutional diversity and
inclusion in New England.

Following the panel presentation, one of our panelists Dr. John Matsui from
the University of California, Berkeley and a recent awardee of the
Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering
Mentoring will present a Keynote talk on his journey.

Panelists:

   - *Adán Colón-Carmona*, Ph.D, Professor of Biology, University of
   Massachusetts Boston
   - *Sandra Petersen*, Ph.D, Professor of Veterinary and Animal Sciences,
   University of Massachusetts Amherst
   - *Joan Y. Reede*, MD, MPH, MS, MBA, Dean for Diversity and Community
   Partnership, Harvard Medical School
   - *John Matsui*, Ph.D, Director, Biology Scholars, University of
   California, Berkeley
   - Moderator: *David Burgess*, Ph.D, Lead PI, NRMN

Keynote Speaker: *John Matsui*, Ph.D

President Obama named John a recipient of a 2015 Presidential Award for
Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM). He
co-founded a renowned undergraduate diversity program in his school's
biology department leading to unprecedented retention and graduation of
underrepresented minorities in the sciences; a model replicated at schools
throughout the U.S.

Program:

   - Panel Discussion: 12:30-2:30 PM
   - Keynote Address: 3:00-4:00 PM

Light refreshments provided.

*22. [MASS AWIS] Member Scholarship*
*Deadline*: Friday, October 16, 5:00 PM
*Info*: link <http://www.massawis.org/mass-awis-member-scholarship/>
*Apply*: email <scholarship at massawis.org>

MASS AWIS has created a scholarship fund to help offset the cost of
membership.

   - If awarded a scholarship, MASS AWIS will supplement 80% of the
   National membership and 50% of the Chapter membership.
   - If awarded, MASS AWIS bucks - proportional to membership level - will
   be provided; this credit can be used to attend MASS AWIS events.
   - Scholarships will be awarded to qualified underemployed and unemployed
   applicants seeking Professional, Junior or Student memberships.
   - *Graduate Students/Post-Doctoral Fellows and those in transition are
   encouraged to apply.*

For further details about the award and the application process, visit
www.massawis.org/mass-awis-member-scholarship/

Applicants should submit all the materials by October 16th, 2015 – Friday –
5pm EST in a single correspondence to: scholarship at massawis.org

*23. [MASS AWIS] Writing in Science - Career Panel*
*When*: Tuesday, October 20, 6:00 - 8:30 PM
*Where*: The Broad Institute, Monadnock Room (415 Main St. Cambridge 02142)
*Register*: link <http://www.massawis.org/WritingCareersinSci2015>

Interested in a career in science writing? Having trouble finishing up that
final paper? These panelists have seen and heard it all! Come join us for
an intimate panel discussion with some of the industry’s top science
writers.

Panelists:

   - *Dr. Susan Wu* (Vertex Pharmaceuticals)
   - *Alice Lim* (Custom Learning Designs)
   - *Dr. Chandreyee Das* (EMD Millipore)
   - *Dr. Alison Mungenast* (The Picower Institute - MIT)
   - *Dr. Maria Naylor* (Biogen Idec)

Discussion moderated by Dr. Janice Kranz

Agenda:

   - 6:00-6:30 pm: Light refreshments and networking
   - 6:30-8:00 pm: Panel Discussion
   - 8:00-8:30 pm: Networking

To Register, Visit: www.massawis.org/WritingCareersinSci2015
MASS AWIS & Broad members $5 · Non-members $12
Register before Oct. 13th for a chance to win a Starbucks gift card!

To learn more about MASS AWIS and other upcoming AWIS events, please visit
www.massawis.org
Join AWIS to save money on events and to support our work!

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org
*Blog:* http://gwamit.blogspot.com
*Twitter:* http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
*Facebook:* http://www.facebook.com/gwamit