[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of October 26, 2015

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 26 19:57:18 EDT 2015

[image: Inline images 2]
Dear GW at MIT Members,

Our Fall Leadership Conference (*Making an Impact*) is happening next week!
Check out the website <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/> and the
announcement below for more details.

Happy Halloween!

The GWAMIT Board

*Send your ideas to:* gwamit-exec at mit.edu
*Send your announcements to:* gwamit-sec at mit.edu
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org

*======== IN BRIEF========*

*GW at MIT:*
1. MIT Police Awareness Lunch (Oct. 28th)
2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference: Making an Impact (Nov. 2nd - 5th)

*MIT:*
3. [MIT S&P] Letterlocking in Lobby 10 (*Tomorrow!*)
4. "No mas bebes / No more babies" Screening and Q&A with filmmaker Renee
Tajima Peña (*Tomorrow!*)
5. [MIT S&P] Language Conversion Exchange Fall Mixer (*Tomorrow!*)
6. MIT $100K Pitch Finals (Oct. 28th)
7. [POWER] Outside the 'Norm' Seminar (Nov. 5th)
8. [GCWS] Queer Diasporas and Futurities (Nov. 18th)
9. [POWER] Pizza and Movie Night (Nov. 20th)
10. [MIT Work-Life Center] Fall Seminar Series (Oct - Dec)

*Outside MIT:*
11. [MASS AWIS] Academic Job Search Workshop: Preparing a Competitive
Application (*Tomorrow!*)
12. [MIT Museum] Fright Factors: The Science of Fear (Oct. 30th)
13. [MASS AWIS] Challenges Faced by Successful Women in STEM (Nov. 17th)
14. PrimaTemp Study Looking for Volunteers (Ongoing)

*====================FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS====================*

*********** GW at MIT ***********

*1. MIT Police Awareness Lunch*
*When*: Wednesday, October 28, 12:00 - 1:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building W20-306 <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=w20> (Twenty
Chimneys Room)
*RSVP*: link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-police-awareness-session-tickets-19088617569>

GW at MIT and MIT Police are hosting a security awareness session with Captain
Cheryl Vossmer (this is different from their self defense class). Come
learn some street smarts with us!

Food will be provided. Sponsored by GWAMIT.

*2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference: "Making an Impact"*
*When*: Monday - Thursday, November 2 - 5
*Where*: MIT campus
*Info*: link <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/>

We are excited to launch our week-long conference featuring leaders who
have made an impact in different academic and policy communities and who
continuously empower women. Join us for a series of workshops, talks and
panels!

The Leadership Conference will be happening from Nov. 2 to Nov. 5. Check
out the links below to see event descriptions, learn more about our
incredible speakers, and RSVP!

   - *Start-ups: Tales from MIT’s Entrepreneur-in-Residence*
      - Christina Chase, Martin Trust Center
      - Monday, November 2, 11 AM - 12 PM in W20-307
      <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=w20>
      - Info <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/events/christina-chase>
      - RSVP
      <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/start-ups-tales-from-mits-entrepreneur-in-residence-tickets-19263509676>
      - *Force for Change: The Next Generation of Empowered Female Leaders*
      - Jin In, 4GGL
      - Monday, November 2, 6:00 - 7:00 PM in 32-141
      <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>
      - Info <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/events/jin-in>
      - RSVP
      <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-worlds-most-powerful-force-for-change-jin-in-tickets-19262853714>
      - *Trailblazers Panel: Changing Norms in Academia and Beyond*
      - with Prof. Amy Keating, Prof. Melissa Franklin, Prof. Hazel Sive
      - Tuesday, November 3, 6:00 - 7:00 PM in 4-237
      <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=4>
      - Info
      <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/events/trailblazers-panel>
      - RSVP
      <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trailblazers-panel-changing-norms-in-academia-and-beyond-tickets-19263311082>
      - *Confidence, Arrogance, Talk, and Teamwork: Communication by Women
   in the Workplace*
      - Jane Connor, MIT
      - Wednesday, November 4, 6:00 - 7:00 PM in 32-141
      <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>
      - Info <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/events/jane-connor>
      - RSVP
      <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/confidence-arrogance-talk-and-teamwork-communication-by-women-in-the-workplace-tickets-19263378283>
      - *Claim Your Space: How to Feel Confident, Command any Room, and
   Effectively Get What you Want*
      - Jennifer Madden, Dynamic Communications
      - Thursday, November 5, 1:00 - 2:00 PM in W20-307
      <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=w20>
      - Info <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/events/jennifer-madden>
      - RSVP
      <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/claim-your-space-how-to-feel-confident-command-any-room-and-effectively-get-what-you-want-tickets-19263400349>
      - *Making an Impact: Why Policy is the Best and Worst Way to Change
   the World*
      - Lara Pierpoint, Department of Energy
      - Thursday, November 5, 5:30 - 6:30 PM in W20-307
      <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=w20>
      - Info <https://gwamitlead2015.wordpress.com/events/lara-pierpoint>
      - RSVP
      <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/making-an-impact-why-policy-is-the-best-and-worst-way-to-change-the-world-tickets-19263425424>

Events are free and open to everyone; we use RSVPs to account for the
delicious food we are ordering. We look forward to seeing many of you
during this week!

*********** MIT ***********

*3. [MIT S&P] Letterlocking in Lobby 10*
*When*: Tuesday, October 27, 10 AM - 12 PM
*Where*: MIT Lobby 10 <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=10>
*Contact*: email <jld at mit.edu>

Write a letter to a friend and learn how to letterlock it shut.

When’s the last time you hand wrote a letter and sent it in the mail? Join
us in Lobby 10 if you’re up for surprising someone with a handwritten
letter. We’ll provide the paper and pens (including quills and ink if you
want to write like Harry Potter) and we’ll even teach you how to letterlock
it shut with sealing wax and built-in security devices if your
correspondence needs extra protection. We’ll mail the letters for you via
USPS anywhere in the world.

*4. "No mas bebes / No more babies" Screening and Q&A with filmmaker Renee
Tajima Peña*
*When*: Tuesday, October 27, 5:30 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 32-155 <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>
*Info*: link <http://www.nomasbebesmovie.com/trailer>

They came to have their babies. They went home sterilized. The story of
immigrant mothers who sued county doctors, the state, and the U.S.
government after they were prodded into sterilizations while giving birth
at the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center during the 1960s and 70s. Led
by an intrepid, 26-year-old Chicana lawyer and armed with hospital records
secretly gathered by a whistle-blowing young doctor, the mothers faced
public exposure and stood up to powerful institutions in the name of
justice.

*Renee Tajima Peña* is an Academy Award®-nominated filmmaker whose films on
immigration, race and social issues include Who Killed Vincent Chin?, My
America…or Honk if You Love Buddha, Labor Women, The New Americans, and
Calavera Highway. Her films have screened at Cannes, Sundance, Toronto and
the Whitney Biennial. She is now Director of the Center of
EthnoCommunications at UCLA, where she is a professor and holds an endowed
chair in Japanese American Studies.  She has been awarded a Guggenheim
Fellowship, Alpert Award in the Arts, the USA Broad Fellowship, and a
Peabody.

TRAILER <http://www.nomasbebesmovie.com/trailer>

Sponsors:
MIT Global Studies and Languages, Women's and Gender Studies, Anthropology.
Funded in part by a Director’s Grant from the Council for the Arts at MIT.

*5. [MIT S&P] Language Conversion Exchange Fall M**ixer*
*When*: Tuesday, October 27, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
*Where*: The Colbert Lounge @ The Warehouse (NW 30
<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=NW30>), First Floor, 224 Albany Street
*Info*: link <http://lce.scripts.mit.edu/about.php>
*RSVP*: link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ni2ysbL_RXCVZcERBf0PSH4DJ0xFZvaVsZ6_GJcM7oQ/viewform>

We’re happy to announce that we’ve organized a Language Conversation
Exchange Mixer/Language Game Night next week and we’ll love for you to join
us and bring your friends & family along. It should be a fun night of
pizza, snacks and games in the language you’re learning.

Language Conversation Exchange (LCE) is a program affiliated with the MIT
Spouses & Partners umbrella of activities that helps connect people across
the Institute for conversation, cultural exchange and friendship. To find
out more, check out our website <http://lce.scripts.mit.edu/about.php>.

We’ll also like to invite you to bring along your board and card games and
share them with our fellow community members. Our venue, the Colbert
Lounge, also has a pool table, foosball, table tennis and dart board for
our enjoyment.

Please RSVP using this link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ni2ysbL_RXCVZcERBf0PSH4DJ0xFZvaVsZ6_GJcM7oQ/viewform>
so that we can order enough food for everyone.

Contact lce-coordinator at mit.edu for more information.

*6. MIT $100K Pitch Finals*
*When*: Wednesday, October 28, 7:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building 10-250 <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=10>
*Register*: link <http://bit.do/100Kpitch>

MIT’s premier startup competition is back! Pitch is the first of three
phases of the MIT $100K.

Come hear 90-second elevator pitches from 21 top startup teams at MIT and
watch them get grilled by our judges.

Reserve your FREE tickets here <http://bit.do/100Kpitch>.

*7. [POWER] Outside the 'Norm'*
*When*: Thursday, November 5, 4:00 - 5:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building E25-202 <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=e25>
*RSVP*: TBD

Seminar by Dr. Marcia Haigis, former MIT Postdoc
Associate Professor of Cell Biology, HMS

*8. [GCWS] Queer Diasporas and Futurities*
*When*: Wednesday, November 18, 5:30 – 7:30 PM
*Where*: The Moore Room, Building 6-321 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=6>

The Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies is pleased to announce the
second event in our Feminisms Unbound
<http://web.mit.edu/gcws/news+events/15-16FeminismsUnbound.html> series.
Please join us, and spread the word!

Our roundtable explores the ways in which both "queerness" and "diaspora"
each displace normative classifications of sexuality and nationality, with
consequences for the imagination of "futurity" in literature, visual
culture, and cultural politics. As queerness complicates the boundedness of
an ethnic, national or religious collectivity that desires to reproduce its
own identity, so may diaspora unsettle the normative white Europeanness of
conceptions of same-sex desire. Presenters discuss how diaspora figures
both geographical displacement and the crossing of figurative boundaries of
person, culture, society, and state, and they elaborate ways that queering
describes not only different embodiments of gender and sexuality, but also
a skewing of normative epistemology and social organization.

This event is free and open to the public.

Roundtable discussion participants:

   - *Feng-Mei Heberer*, Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow, MIT
   - *Umayyah Cable*, PhD Student, Department of American Studies and
   Ethnicity, University of Southern California
   - *Fatima El-Tayeb*, Professor of Literature, University of California
   San Diego
   - Fourth roundtable participant TBD
   - Moderator: *Lisa Lowe*, Professor of English, Tufts University

Feminisms Unbound is organized by Kimberly Juanita Brown, Assistant
Professor of English and Africana Studies, Mount Holyoke College, Lisa
Lowe, Professor of English and American Studies, Tufts University, and
Jyoti Puri, Professor of Sociology, Simmons College.  Kimberly, Lisa, and
Jyoti are also Visiting Scholars with the GCWS this year, and we thank them
for their efforts programming this exciting set of roundtable discussions.
The goal of this series is to foster conversations and community among
Boston-area feminist intellectuals and activists and explore Women’s,
Gender, and Sexuality Studies topics at the edges of the field.

*9. [POWER] Pizza and Movie Night*
*When*: Friday, November 20, 7:00 - 10:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Building E17-517 <https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=e17>
*RVSP*: TBD

Come join the Postdoc Organization for Women Engaged in Research (POWER)
for a showing of *Mulan*.

The Postdoc Organization for Women Engaged in Research (POWER) aims to
support the personal and professional development of women postdoctoral
researchers at MIT. Check them out on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/mit_power>!

*10. [MIT Work-Life] Fall Seminar Series *
*When*: October - December
*Where*: Varies
*Info*: link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>
*Register*: link <http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>

Check out events presented throughout the semester as part of the MIT
Work-Life Center’s Fall Seminar Series
<http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars>. Our presenters, who are experts
in their fields, will share research-based strategies, tips, and
information on more than 25 topics, including:

   - Student loan repayment strategies
   - Developing your negotiation and communication skills for challenging
   conversations
   - Eating healthy and staying active on your own schedule and budget
   - Buying your first home
   - Parenting
   - Eldercare
   - And more!

All seminars are free of charge and open to the entire MIT community and
their families; however, registration is required
<http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/>.

*********** Outside MIT ***********
*11. [MASS AWIS] Academic Job Search Workshop: Preparing a Competitive
Application*
*When*: Tuesday, October 27, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
*Where*: Salisbury Labs, Room 406, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
<http://www.wpi.edu/about/visitors/campusmap.html>
*Register*: link <http://www.massawis.org/academicjobsearch2015>

Attendees will be asked to bring application materials to be reviewed.
Food and refreshments will be served.

Register using the following link: www.massawis.org/academicjobsearch2015

Event co-hosted by MASS AWIS and the Worcester AWIS Affiliate Group

MASS AWIS members and WPI students: $10    Non-members: $15

Location details: http://www.wpi.edu/about/visitors/campusmap.html

*12. [MIT Museum] Fright Factors: The Science of Fear*
*When*: Friday, October 30, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
*Where*: MIT Museum
*Tickets*: link
<http://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=ea85eb99e3&e=959266bc83>

Why do we fear? What's going on in our bodies and minds when we are
frightened? Join us for an evening of "speed geeking" and learn about the
biological basis of fear, zombies, outbreaks, and all sorts of terrifying
topics!  Move through the museum and talk to leading researchers and
educators about the things that we fear and why we fear them.

Advance ticket purchase
<http://mit.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8f096ffcb76b3882760cf1589&id=ea85eb99e3&e=959266bc83>
required (includes 2 drink tickets). Ages 21+. Costumes encouraged!

*13. [MASS AWIS] Challenges Faced by Successful Women in STEM*
*When*: Tuesday, November 17, 5:45 - 8:00 PM
*Where*: Venture Café, Cambridge Innovation Center 5th floor, One Broadway,
Cambridge
*Register*: link <http://massawis.org/genderbias2015>

Women in STEM are important contributors in today's society, however they
are still surrounded by gender bias on a regular basis. This event is a
fantastic opportunity to hear from a panel of powerful women from a
multitude of ethnic backgrounds, succeeding in STEM fields, and speaking
openly about the obstacles they have faced.

Panel discussion with:

   - Dr. Karen Page Clinical Scientist at Pfizer and Ambassador Program
   Manager for Science Club For Girls
   - Dr. Erika Ebbel Angle CEO of Science from Scientists and Counterpoint
   Health Solutions
   - Judy Piper Senior Software Engineering Manager at Akamai Technologies
   - Dr. Manasa Madasu Faculty at Northeastern University and Founder at
   Shakti: Girl Power
   - Dr. Anastacia Berzat Scientific Program Manager at Novartis Institute
   for BioMedical Research

Agenda:

   - 5:45-6:00 pm Registration
   - 6:00-7:15 pm Panelists presentation and discussion
   - 7:15-8:00 pm Dinner, informal discussion with panelists and networking

Register at http://massawis.org/genderbias2015

MASS AWIS members $10 · Non-members $15

Event attendance is limited to 50 people – register early!

*14. [PCH at MGH] PrimaTemp Study Looking for Volunteers*
*When*: Rolling applications until December
*Info*: email <PrimaTempStudy at partners.org>
*Apply*: link <http://j.mp/1L8UFPt>

Are you a healthy female aged 21-43?
Are you interested in learning more about your body?
Are you trying to conceive naturally?

Partners Connected Health at Massachusetts General Hospital is conducting a
research study to evaluate a new vaginally-inserted temperature monitor.

The primary purpose of the study is to gather information about the safety
and user experience of the device and evaluate how well the device works
with predicting the day of ovulation and fertility window.

Participants may receive up to $500 for completing the study.

Contact Research Analysts Danielle Sackstein or Bridget Gerstel at
617-643-9660 or 617-643-6368, or e-mail PrimaTempStudy at partners.org for
more information on the required qualifications and details of the study.

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*
*Visit us:* http://gwamit.org
*Blog:* http://gwamit.blogspot.com
*Twitter:* http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
*Facebook:* http://www.facebook.com/gwamit