[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 2/9/2015

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Feb 10 13:19:26 EST 2015

Dear GW at MIT Members,

This is my last newsletter before passing the secretary role to Anne Marinan. I would like to thank the former Exec Board, Leyla, Nina, Paula, and Irene, for the great work done and their passion in supporting GWAMIT mission. I am sure that Alex Toumar, Annie Marinan, Kelly Brock, Nora Xu, Paula Ruiz, Sarah Spencer, and Wenda Tian will do a great job as the new Execs - 2015 will be a wonderful GWAMIT year!

As always, find the information about upcoming events below.

The GWAMIT Board

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GW at MIT:
1. Apply to organize the 2014 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!

MIT:
2. Institute Diversity Summit 2015:  Advancing a Respectful and Caring Community (On Thursdays, from January 29th to February 5th)
3. MITaly Networking Reception: announcing 10 new tenure-track positions at IIT (Wednesday, February 11, 6:30pm)
4. Fundraising in Energy: How to get VCs to invest in your science startup (Wednesday, February 11, 12:00pm-12:55pm (lunch at 11:45am))
5. Women in STEM (Tuesday, March 17th, 3-4:30pm)

Outside MIT:
6. The 9th Annual Women’s Law Association Conference - Walking on Broken Glass: Redesigning Institutions After the Glass Ceiling (Thursday, February 12)
7. E^3 Mentoring Program - mentor applications (Deadline:  February 14th, 2015)
8. Growald Family Fund - Summer Internship Opportunities (Deadline: February 16)
9. [MASS AWIS] Navigating Your Job Search - Advice from Human Resources and Recruiters (Wednesday February 25th, 6:30pm-8:30pm)
10. Institute for Women’s Policy Research - Internship opportunities (Deadline: February 28, 2015)
11. [MASS AWIS] Simple Strategies to Resolve Conflicts with Difficult Supervisors And Coworkers, With Dora Farkas, Ph.D. (Thursday March 19th, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm)
12. New England Diversity Council - Women in Leadership Symposium, Women of Vision: Leading Transformation in the Workplace (March 24, 8:30AM-11:30AM)
13. [MASS AWIS and CSF] Alternative Careers in Science Speed Networking Event (Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 6:00 to 9:00 p.m)
14. Communicating Science Workshop 2015 (Thursday, June 18th through Saturday, June 20th, 2015)
15. Canada’s Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics - Emmy Noether Visiting Fellowship program

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** GW at MIT **********

1. Apply to organize the 2014 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!
Application: bit.ly/gwamit_empowerment_app
Contact: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

GWAMIT is currently recruiting conference co-chairs, event leads, and committee members for the annual Spring Empowerment Conference to be held in March 2015 This is a great opportunity to be a part of the 2015 organizing team!

There are many different ways you can get involved depending on your interests and schedule. Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you have questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous leaders and events on our website.

********** MIT **********

2. Institute Diversity Summit 2015:  Advancing a Respectful and Caring Community
When: On Thursdays, from January 29th to February 5th. Details below.
Where: Kresge Auditorium and the Student Center
Registration: http://diversity.mit.edu/diversity-summit-2015/

The past weeks and months have delivered terrible images of how bias and violence can shatter a diverse society. But we have also seen unforgettable reminders of the beauty that is possible when we human beings achieve our highest aspirations for community.

On two upcoming days -- January 29 and February 12 -- MIT will hold its annual Institute Diversity Summit, and I hope we can use this occasion to share our own experiences candidly and listen to one another in a spirit of understanding and kindness.

One highlight will be opening remarks by MIT's Institute Community and Equity Officer, Ed Bertschinger, who will discuss what he learned through an MIT listening tour and share his thoughts about building our strength in community, diversity, empowerment and respect.

Program Highlights

Day 1. Thursday, January 29, 2015
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. - Registration
1:00 p.m. - "Hacking the MIT Culture"- Edmund Bertschinger, Institute Community and Equity Officer

All Community Dialogues
Workshops
Reception

Day 2. Thursday, February 5, 2015
7:30 pm - Film: I Shall Not Be Silent – Joachim Prinz
A documentary film about a rabbi who would not be silenced, from synagogues in 1930's Berlin to the March on Washington in 1963. Following the film, representatives from the Jewish, Black and Muslim community will explore how we react to each others' challenges.

Day 3. Tuesday, February 10, 2015
6:30 pm -Film: Dear White People
A social satire that follows the stories of four black students at an Ivy League college where controversy breaks out over a popular but offensive black-face party thrown by white students. The film explores racial identity in acutely-not-post-racial America while weaving a universal story of forging one's unique path in the world.

Day 4. Thursday, February 12, 2015
12:00pm -1:00pm Registration
1:00 pm - Senior Leadership Panel Discussion:
      Chancellor Cynthia Barnhart
      Provost Martin Schmidt
      Executive Vice President and Treasurer Israel Ruiz

Keynote Speaker: Renee Richardson Gosline
MIT Sloan School of Management Zenon Zannetos (1955) Career Development Professor, Assistant Professor of Marketing

Workshops
Reception

Film: Codebreaker tells the remarkable and tragic story of one of the 20th century's most important people. Alan Turing set in motion the computer age and his codebreaking helped turn the tide of World War II. His visionary brilliance was overshadowed by his conviction for "gross indecency" with another man. In despair, Turing died by suicide in 1954.

3. MITaly Networking Reception: announcing 10 new tenure-track positions at IIT (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia)
When: Wednesday, February 11, 6:30pm
Where: TBD

John Assad, Professor of Neurobiology at Harvard and Deputy Director of the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT), will announce a call for 10 new tenure-track positions in interdisciplinary science, including nanotechnology/materials science, multi-scale modeling, energy, robotics, molecular biology and bioinformatics (see www.iit.it/tenure). The talk will last for about an hour (from 6:30pm to 7:30pm), and will be followed by a networking reception. Refreshments will be provided.

4. Fundraising in Energy: How to get VCs to invest in your science startup
When: Wednesday, February 11, 12:00pm-12:55pm (lunch at 11:45am)
Where: E62-276
RSVP: here

Thinking about starting a science-based startup? Join the MIT Joules at Lunch this Wednesday in E62-276 to learn how to get VCs to invest in you. Incredible speakers Leslie Dewan and Sarah Kearney will share with us their secrets for success, and they will be moderated by internationally renowned entrepreneurship expert Prof. Fiona Murray. Don't miss it!

Leslie Dewan is the founder and CSO of Transatomic Power, and recently raised A Round financing from the Founders Fund, Peter Thiel's San Francisco based Venture Capital firm known for investments in Facebook and Spotify.
Sarah Kearney is the founder and executive director of PRIME, an innovative fund that allows non-profit foundations to invest in for-profit cleantech startups.
Prof. Murray is an international expert on the transformation of investments in scientific and technical innovation into innovation-based entrepreneurship. She is the Associate Dean for Innovation, Co-Director of the Innovation Initiative, and the Faculty Director at the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship.

5. Women in STEM
When: Tuesday, March 17th, 3-4:30pm
Where: MIT, 4-231
CareerBridge:https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student

In Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), women continue to be underrepresented despite increased efforts to expose women and girls to the STEM field. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce's Report, Women in STEM: A Gender Gap to Innovation, women represent only about 25% of workers in STEM and earn 14% less than what men in the field earn. In addition, women experience unique challenges throughout their careers that differ from their male counterparts, such as lack of mentorship and work/family life balance, etc. Come learn from our panelists how they have succeeded in their respective disciplines, what challenges they faced along the way, and what special issues you will need to consider as a woman in STEM. Advanced registration requested via CareerBridge:https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student.

With:
- Arlis Reynolds, Senior Associate, Cadmus
- Ann Marie Faust, Investigator, Novartis
- Angela Bassa,
- Data Scientist, Enernoc
- Kathleen Mahoney,
- Site Reliability Engineer, Google

********** Outside MIT **********

6. The 9th Annual Women’s Law Association Conference
Walking on Broken Glass: Redesigning Institutions After the Glass Ceiling
When: Thursday, February 12
Where: Wasserstein Hall, Milstein East, Harvard Law School.
Registration link: here

On behalf of the Harvard Women’s Law Association Conference Committee, you are cordially invited to the Ninth Annual Harvard Women’s Law Association Conference, “Walking on Broken Glass: Redesigning Institutions After the Glass Ceiling”. We are thrilled to announce this year's panelists, who will discuss their experiences as members of the first generation of women building on the accomplishments of the original glass ceiling breakers. We hope that you will share the details of this event with your community.

For the event, we have gathered women from diverse fields to share their insights and experiences. The conference will consist of three panels, a luncheon, and a keynote address.

You might be particularly interested in our afternoon panel on “The Bulletproof Glass Ceiling.” This panel will highlight panelists who work in sectors that are traditionally underrepresented by women including academia, finance, and professional sports. We have incredible women coming to speak with us, including:

•   Martha Minow, Dean of Harvard Law School and the Morgan and Helen Chu Professor of Law
•   Marcy Engel, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel at Eton Park Capital Management, a leading investment firm
•   Amanda (Mandy) Petrillo, Senior Manager of Legal Operations at the Boston Red Sox

Registration is available here.

Apply: http://www.e3mentoringprogram.wix.com/home
Contact: e3mentoringprogram at gmail.com

The E^3 Mentoring Program is currently accepting mentor applications! Mentors are preferably women of color majoring in STEM fields. Application takes approximately 10 to 20 minutes. Perfect to pay it forward and help students in the Boston area learn about college life, the college process, and science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields. Please spread the word.

E^3: Empowering, Encouraging, Eliminating Barriers is a mentoring group for motivated, underprivileged, and/or disadvantaged female students in grades 9th-12th. We are a student run organization comprised of college mentors and high school mentees. We meet at least once every month from March to May at the Microsoft New England Research and Development (NERD) Center at 1 Memorial Dr #1 in Cambridge, MA from 4pm to 6pm on Saturdays.

Our mission is to build awareness about the lack of minority women in STEM fields, eliminate barriers of opportunities, foster learning and academic success, and cultivate leadership by bringing together the top leaders of today with the striving leaders of tomorrow.

Apply at: http://www.e3mentoringprogram.wix.com/home

For any questions or concerns, email Jwahir Sundai at e3mentoringprogram at gmail.com.

Info: hshaikh at growaldfamilyfund.org

The Growald Family Fund is e a non-profit foundation , with a global portfolio of organizations focused on climate change mitigation and clean energy transition.
 We currently have internship openings for an Energy Markets Intern as well as a Communications Intern. Please note both of these positions have a flexible time period and may begin in March (part-time) or in June (full-time), further details and the full descriptions can be found in the attachments. If you could kindly share among your members and contacts, we would greatly appreciate it and would love to have more women join an often male dominated area.

Please, submit your application with a resume and a letter of interest by February 16,2015 to info at growaldfamilyfund.org.

For info contact Homayara Shaikh at hshaikh at growaldfamilyfund.org.

9. [MASS AWIS] Navigating Your Job Search - Advice from Human Resources and Recruiters
Featuring a panel of professionals from companies including RA Capital Management LLC and Intelligent Mdx
When: Wednesday February 25th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Where: LabCentral 700 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Register: http://www.massawis.org/JobSearch2015

Identifying, applying, interviewing and accepting a job position can be overwhelming. Gain insight and advice about these processes from the receiving end- human resources and recruitment. Their anecdotal insight could change how you approach your next job search. Our panelists will also answer your general questions but please keep in mind that this is neither a recruiting nor hiring event.

Agenda:
6:30 pm-7:00 pm Light refreshments and registration
7:00 pm-8:00 Panel discussion
8:00 pm-8:30 pm Closing remarks and networking

To Register, Visit: http://www.massawis.org/JobSearch2015
MASS AWIS members $10 · Non-members $20
Register before Feb. 18th for a chance to win a copy of Black Hole Focus

10. Institute for Women’s Policy Research - Internship opportunities
Deadline:  February 28, 2015
Info: http://www.iwpr.org/about/employment-internships

The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR), located in Washington, DC, is hiring for summer interns in the areas of Research, Development, Communications & Outreach, and Accounting & Human Resources, as well as for two 9 month fellowships: the Mariam K. Chamberlain Fellowship andCommunications Fellowship.
Summer interns work with IWPR for 10 weeks during the summer months, usually early June through August. The positions are full-time (40 hours/week) and receive a small stipend in compensation. Both fellowship positions are paid, full-time positions. The Communications Fellowship will start, ideally, this February 2015. The MKC Fellow will start in the fall of 2015, usually September through May. Please note that all internship and fellowship positions cannot be conducted remotely – individuals must be in the DC area to participate in-person.

IWPR is a gender policy think tank that conducts rigorous research and disseminates its findings to address the needs of women, promote public dialogue, and strengthen families, communities and societies. IWPR is committed to assisting the professional development of students and graduates interested in economic justice for women. IWPR's internship program is designed to provide participants with challenging work experiences under the guidance and supervision of staff with extensive knowledge of women's policy issues, social science research, and non-profit management.

Applications for the summer internship positions and the MKC Fellowship are due by February 28, 2015. Communications Fellow applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.

Full descriptions of the positions and application instructions can be found on our website: http://www.iwpr.org/about/employment-internships.

11. [MASS AWIS] Simple Strategies to Resolve Conflicts with Difficult Supervisors And Coworkers, With Dora Farkas, Ph.D.
When: Thursday March 19th, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
Where: Monadnock Room, Broad Institute, 415 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142
Register at: http://www.massawis.org/DoraFarkasSeminar2015

In this seminar, we will discuss:
▪ Coping with conflicts at the workplace, whether you are a student, postdoctoral fellow, academic researcher, or an industry professional.
▪ Simple and practical strategies to resolve conflicts and work successfully with difficult supervisors, coworkers, and collaborators.
▪ How to increase your confidence when you need to communicate with different types of difficult people.

Agenda:
6:30 pm-7:00 pm Light refreshments and registration
7:00 pm-8:30 pm Seminar and two interactive small group exercises

To learn more about MASS AWIS and other upcoming AWIS events, please visit: www.massawis.org

12. New England Diversity Council - Women in Leadership Symposium
Women of Vision: Leading Transformation in the Workplace
When: March 24, 8:30AM-11:30AM
Where: Microsof New England R&D Center, 1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02142
Register: link
Info: link

Don't miss this event organized by the New England Diversity Council. A. Saeed, Director of Diversity at Dat Pitney will moderate the discussion, panelists include:
- Chanda Guth, HR Director at Biogen;
- Jackie Glen, Global Chief Diversity Officer at EMC Corporation;
- Luz Carrasquillo, Learning & Development Director at Thermo Fisher Scientific;
- Linda Houston, Market Executive at Merrill Lynch;
- Jaren E. Spilka, State Senator Massachusetts;
- Marika Reuling, Chief of Staff at Harvard University;
- Arleen Ashjian, Global Director, R&D Portfolio Management, at International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc.

The discussion will cover the following topics:
- Leadership Lessons Learned
- Super Women: Can I Have it All?
- Smart Women Take Smart Risks
- Women of Color: Striving for Excellence
- Strategies on Positioning Yourself for Success
- Changing Lanes: How Do I Know the Time is Right?
- Doing Business in Heels: Making the Workplace a Place of Your Own

13. [MASS AWIS and CSF] Alternative Careers in Science Speed Networking Event
When: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Where: 43 Vassar St, Cambridge (MIT building 46), 3rd Floor Atrium
Register: www.massawis.org/AltCareersSpeedNetworking2015

MASS AWIS  and Cambridge Science Festival presents an event is for women and men within the scientific community (from undergrads to early career levels) who are interested in exploring diverse career options in science. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with 10-15 experienced individuals who will give insight into their chosen professions. The event will be held in a speed-networking fashion with participants switching tables every 15 minutes for a total of 5 sessions. Please note this is not a career fair.

Career areas: Consulting, Patent Law, Research & Development, Technology Transfer, Publishing/Medical Writing, Academia, Business Development, Competitive Intelligence, Teaching, Medical Science Liaison, Sales and Human Resources.

Agenda:
6:00-6:45 pm  Registration and refreshments
6:45-7:15 pm  Introduction, instructions, and review
7:15-8:30 pm  Speed Networking (five 15 min sessions)
8:30-9:00 pm  General Networking and Desserts

General Admission $30 • MASS AWIS members $15
Register before April 15th for a chance to win a Starbucks gift-card
Register here: www.massawis.org/AltCareersSpeedNetworking2015

14. Communicating Science Workshop 2015
When: Thursday, June 18th through Saturday, June 20th, 2015
Where: Microsoft NERD center, Cambridge
Registration: Application deadline March 1, 2015
More Info: http://comscicon.com/news/student-application-comscicon-2015-now-open

Applications are now open (http://comscicon.com/apply-comscicon15) for the Communicating Science 2015 workshop, to be held in Cambridge, MA on June 18-20th, 2015. Graduate students at US institutions in all fields of science and engineering are encouraged to apply. The application will close on March 1st.

Participants will build the communication skills that technical professionals need to express complex ideas to their peers, experts in other fields, and the general public. Workshop participants will produce an original piece of science writing and receive feedback from workshop attendees and professional science communicators, including journalists, fiction and non-fiction authors, public policy advocates, educators, and more.

15. Canada’s Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics - Emmy Noether Visiting Fellowship program

Canada’s Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (PI), welcomes applications for the Emmy Noether Visiting Fellowship program. The Emmy Noether Fellowships are central to Perimeter Institute’s initiatives to support female physicists. Perimeter Institute promotes an inclusive, welcoming culture and a family-friendly workplace.

The Fellowship provides financial and organizational support for relocation, which may include some or all of the following:
 -teaching buyouts
- salary support or top-up
- local expenses
- accommodation
- return transportation & research related-travel
- reimbursement as required for child care
Applicants may specify visit timing and other requirements on the application form. Emmy Noether Visiting Fellowships may be held for periods of up to one year. Early-career faculty-level scientists are especially encouraged to apply. More information and the online application may be found at http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/emmynoether.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit