[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 5/26/14

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 26 13:54:32 EDT 2014

[cid:f748ce9f-e22b-412c-9401-f80bcadca0c6]

Dear GWAMIT Members,

I hope you enjoyed this long Memorial week end!

Don't miss the opportunity of having an impact on MIT community and apply for the GWAMIT Orientation Welcome Lunch and the Fall Leadership Conference! Applications are accepted until June 1st! If  you are curious and you would like to know more, email us at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>!  Also, we are accepting questions for next edition of "Dear Kate", the GWAMIT mentoring advice blog.  Find more information about these and other upcoming events below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GWAMIT:
1. Apply to plan the GWAMIT Orientation Welcome Lunch or the Fall Leadership Conference (Deadline June 1st)
2. Submit Questions @Dear Kate

Outside MIT:
3. Scientista: a Celebration of Women in Science (April-September)
4. Volunteer Opportunity: Big Sisters
5. MIT Spouses & Partners Annual Report 2013
6. MIT spouses&partners Afternoon Break (May 28-August 20th)
7. [MASS AWIS] Mentoring Matters! A Celebration Of The MASS AWIS Mentoring Program (May 29th, 6-8:30pm)
8. Grad-Alumni poster session (7th June, 4:30pm)
9. [GWIS] National Conference: Building Bridges: Practicing Science in the Modern Era (June 26th-29th)
10. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest (August 9th-16th)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

**********GWAMIT**********

1. Apply to plan the GWAMIT Orientation Welcome Lunch or the Fall Leadership Conference
Application Deadline: Sunday, June 1st
Apply: http://bit.ly/RZX7jl
More Info: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

Did you enjoy the Spring Empowerment Conference? Interested in getting more involved with GWAMIT? We are currently accepting applications for:
- 2 Co-Chairs of OWWL (Orientation Women's Welcome Lunch), held in August 2014
- 2 Co-Chairs of the Leadership Conference, held in October 2014

The application is available here http://bit.ly/RZX7jl

Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu> if you have questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous leaders and events on our website: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>

2. Submit Questions @Dear Kate

Dear Kate, the GWAMIT Mentoring advice blog, is looking for more questions to answer! Each month, the GWAMIT mentors answers questions anonymously posed by students. The most recent edition can be found at http://bit.ly/1pb8Vg4

Please submit your questions for next month's edition! They can be submitted at http://tinyurl.com/ah49j5b

**********Outside MIT**********

3. Scientista: a Celebration of Women in Science
When: ongoing April-September
Where: http://bit.ly/1igJJ3k

To celebrate the accomplishments of women in science and to inspire other women to follow in their footstep, the Scientista Foundation has partnered with Mettler Toledo and LabX Media to conduct a series of six interviews with influential North American scientists to highlight their achievements and contributions, and to ask them what advice they have for the next generation of scientific pioneers. The interviews are hosted by "I F★cking Love Science" founder Elise Andrew, and will air the second week of every month from April through September.

4. Volunteer Opportunity: Big Sisters
More info:  http://www.bigsister.org/<http://www.bigsister.org/>

Big Sister is looking for awesome women mentors for our Little Sisters. Mentors must be at least 20 years old and able to make our minimum one-year commitment, which entails meeting with their Little Sisters once/week 3-4 hours each for the first three months and at least twice a month after that.  (Once matches reach a year together, they can decide how frequently they see each other.)  A Big Sister's role is to be an adult friend (not a tutor, baby-sitter, parent figure, etc) to her Little Sister and to decide on many different fun activities to do with her.  Visits are 1 to 1.

In order for a Big Sister to become ready to be matched, she must clink this link to apply: http://www.bigsister.org/.  Here is what the enrollment process looks like: once she has a pre-screening with recruitment and they think she might be a good fit, she is scheduled for an interview. Additionally, she must provide four references, and we run a background check on her.  Then, she attends volunteer training.  If all her materials come back looking good and she feels able to make that commitment, then she is ready to be matched!

5. MIT Spouses & Partners Annual Report 2013
Look at the annual report of MIT Spouses & Partners at http://spouses.mit.edu/about/how/annual-report-2013

6. MIT spouses&partners Afternoon Break
When: Every Wednesday, May 28, 2-3pm
Where: North Court http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=G16 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=G16>

Join MIT spouses&partners members at the picnic tables in MIT’s north court for a casual hangout. There will be no scheduled speakers or activities, just time to chat with new and old friends. Come to ask questions, catch up with us and other spouses who are here in the summer, or just enjoy the sunshine. Kids are welcome. If it rains we’ll meet inside at the Koch Cafe. Where is the North Court? It’s adjacent to Stata and the Koch Center.

7. [MASS AWIS] Mentoring Matters! A Celebration Of The MASS AWIS Mentoring Program
When: Thursday, May 29th, 6-8:30pm
Where: MIT-Picower Institute of Learning & Memory, 43 Vassar Street, Building 46, Rm 3310, Cambridge

Mentoring is fundamental to both our personal and career development – mentoring matters! This celebration marks the end of the MASS AWIS 2013-2014 Mentoring Program. We also welcome those interested in participating in future mentoring circles, either as a mentor or mentee. Come hear our distinguished speaker, Dr. Katherine Turner – SVP of Research at Scholar Rock, Inc. Dr. Turner has extensive experience as a biotechnology executive and entrepreneur, with more than 30 years of experience in all aspects of biology/medical discovery and early development.

To register and find more information, visit www.massawis.org/mentoringmatters2014<http://www.massawis.org/mentoringmatters2014> and www.massawis.org/mentoring-circles<http://www.massawis.org/mentoring-circles>
FREE for all Circle Participants; $5 for MASS AWIS members, $10 for non-members

Mentee information
To become a mentee the application deadline is June 30th, you must be a MASS AWIS member to participate, and apply to the program online by filling out the Mentee application at http://bit.ly/1pbadYr.

Mentor information
To become a mentor the application deadline is June 10th, apply to the program online by filling out the Mentor application at http://bit.ly/1jS3PSG MASS AWIS membership encouraged, but not required to participate

8. Grad-Alumni poster session
When: Saturday, 7th June, 4:30pm

Dear Graduate Students,
Don’t miss the grad-alumni poster session on Saturday, June 7th at 4:30pm. This is a wonderful occasion to meet successful graduate alumni, learn about their experiences after MIT, and share your research with them.
Free appetizers and open bar will be provided for all the presenters and attendees.

9. [GWIS] National Conference: Building Bridges: Practicing Science in the Modern Era
When: June 26th-29th
Where: University of Minnesota, Southeast
Minneapolis
Registration: http://bit.ly/1ny44Vm
Info: gwised at mac.com<mailto:gwised at mac.com>

The Xi Chapter is hosting the Annual Conference. the Keynote speaker will be Dr. Jorge Cham, the cartoonist of Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD), a popular newspaper and web comic strip  and he will speak on the science gap.

The conference will be exploring various areas of 'soft skills' that are needed to become a great scientist, such as communication to the public and exploring new ways to teach biology, science in a political arena.

10. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest
When: August 9th-16th
Deadline: July 21st
Info and registration: http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/desert-life

Discover the unique beauty of the desert in this one-of-a-kind artistic journey through white sand dunes, black lava rock, underground caverns, and mountain and landscapes of West Texas and New Mexico.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit