[GWAMIT] Announcements - week of 6/9/14

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Sun Jun 8 23:20:25 EDT 2014

[cid:2151998e-becb-4e15-bc26-16ca59542ef4]

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Happy Monday!  Please, find all the information regarding this week's events below.

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>

========
 IN BRIEF
========

MIT:
1. MIT Spouses&Partners: Volunteer for Orientation and Fall Events
2. A community self-portrait – photography exhibition (May 7th - June 30th)

Outside MIT:
3. Scientista: a Celebration of Women in Science (April-September)
4. Volunteer Opportunity: Big Sisters
5. Boston Pride (June 14th, 9am-1pm)
6. [GWIS] National Conference: Building Bridges: Practicing Science in the Modern Era (June 26th-29th)
7. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest (August 9th-16th)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** MIT **********

1. MIT Spouses&Partners: Volunteer for Orientation and Fall Events
Info: heeeun.kim at gmail.com<mailto:heeeun.kim at gmail.com> and poppy.jindal at gmail.com<mailto:poppy.jindal at gmail.com>

Can you believe we are already thinking about Orientation? The Orientation Committee has begun to plan events for the end of August and the beginning of September, and I am thinking about Wednesday meeting topics for the fall. If you want to help us make new spouses feel welcome at MIT, join us and learn more! We are looking for volunteers to plan and lead our Orientation events, as well as volunteers to host our weekly Wednesday meetings in the fall. Contact our Orientation Chairs Nari and Mansi to get involved.

2. A community self-portrait – photography exhibition
When: May 7th - June 30th
Where: MIT Wiesner Student Art Gallery, Stratton Student Center, 2nd floor

“A community self-portrait” is a photography project exploring the personal adventures of being an academic spouse or partner. Individual portraits along with personal stories will navigate you through social expectations, cultural differences, and above all, to meet with astonishing personalities.

The exhibit is on display at the MIT Wiesner Student Art Gallery, Stratton Student Center, 2nd floor. It will run from May 7th to June 30th 2014. The exhibit is supported by MIT spouses&partners.

More of Christelle's work can be seen on her photography blog, unenotedeblue.wordpress.com<http://unenotedeblue.wordpress.com/>

**********Outside MIT**********

3. Scientista: a Celebration of Women in Science
When: ongoing April-September
Where: http://bit.ly/1igJJ3k

To celebrate the accomplishments of women in science and to inspire other women to follow in their footstep, the Scientista Foundation has partnered with Mettler Toledo and LabX Media to conduct a series of six interviews with influential North American scientists to highlight their achievements and contributions, and to ask them what advice they have for the next generation of scientific pioneers. The interviews are hosted by "I F★cking Love Science" founder Elise Andrew, and will air the second week of every month from April through September.

4. Volunteer Opportunity: Big Sisters
More info:  http://www.bigsister.org/<http://www.bigsister.org/>

Big Sister is looking for awesome women mentors for our Little Sisters. Mentors must be at least 20 years old and able to make our minimum one-year commitment, which entails meeting with their Little Sisters once/week 3-4 hours each for the first three months and at least twice a month after that.  (Once matches reach a year together, they can decide how frequently they see each other.)  A Big Sister's role is to be an adult friend (not a tutor, baby-sitter, parent figure, etc) to her Little Sister and to decide on many different fun activities to do with her.  Visits are 1 to 1.

In order for a Big Sister to become ready to be matched, she must clink this link to apply: http://www.bigsister.org/.  Here is what the enrollment process looks like: once she has a pre-screening with recruitment and they think she might be a good fit, she is scheduled for an interview. Additionally, she must provide four references, and we run a background check on her.  Then, she attends volunteer training.  If all her materials come back looking good and she feels able to make that commitment, then she is ready to be matched!

5. Boston Pride
When: Saturday June 14th, 9am-1pm
Where: From Boylston Street to the Boston City Hall Plaza
RSVP: tokmcc at mit.edu<mailto:tokmcc at mit.edu>

Celebrate with MIT at Boston Pride!
Saturday June 14, 2014
Start time b/t 9 - 10am (along Boylston St) through about 1pm (Boston City Hall Plaza)

This June MIT will have a group marching in the Boston PRIDE Parade, and YOU are invited to join in! Show your MIT pride at this year's annual parade. All MIT students, staff, faculty, and alumni are welcome!  RSVP Required at tokmcc at med.mit.edu<mailto:tokmcc at med.mit.edu>

The march is 2.7 miles from Copley Square to Boston City Hall Plaza.  If you are unable to walk but would still like to participate, there is a trolley that will be a part of the parade (please RSVP trolley needs to arran at afran at mit.edu<mailto:afran at mit.edu>.

Not up for Marching?

You are also more than welcome to come cheer us on from the sidelines (there will be a small group meeting with an MIT sign with the You Are Welcome Here logo at the corner of Charles St and Beacon, on the Boston Commons side).

We have FREE T-Shirts available (the same as last year's design so please recycle) and would really like to have everyone get one who is marching, so please email Kate McCarthy at kmcc at med.mit.edu<mailto:kmcc at med.mit.edu> on or before 5pm on June 9th with the subject line "Pride Parade RSVP and T-Shirt Size" and provide the following information:

1) Your name
2) MIT Affiliation
3) Your email address
4) "Female cut" or "Male cut" style - so sorry this is labeled in a binary way!
5) Size

If you have any questions, please send us an email and we would be glad to help you!

6. [GWIS] National Conference: Building Bridges: Practicing Science in the Modern Era
When: June 26th-29th
Where: University of Minnesota, Southeast
Minneapolis
Registration: http://bit.ly/1ny44Vm
Info: gwised at mac.com<mailto:gwised at mac.com>

The Xi Chapter is hosting the Annual Conference. the Keynote speaker will be Dr. Jorge Cham, the cartoonist of Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD), a popular newspaper and web comic strip  and he will speak on the science gap.

The conference will be exploring various areas of 'soft skills' that are needed to become a great scientist, such as communication to the public and exploring new ways to teach biology, science in a political arena.

7. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest
When: August 9th-16th
Deadline: July 21st
Info and registration: http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/desert-life

Discover the unique beauty of the desert in this one-of-a-kind artistic journey through white sand dunes, black lava rock, underground caverns, and mountain and landscapes of West Texas and New Mexico.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit