[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 7/21/14

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 21 08:54:49 EDT 2014

[cid:7e78855c-bd55-4b5d-be37-6da1ddf7c8ec]

Dear GW at MIT Members,

happy Monday! I hope you and a fun week end and that you are enjoying this summer. Find all the information about this week events below!

If you have any events or announcements to share with the GW at MIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>

========
 IN BRIEF
========

MIT:
1. GSC Dissertaion Bootcamp (July 28th- Friday August 8th, 10am-5pm)
2. MIT Museum - Program

Outside MIT
3. Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition (August 12th-22nd, Deadline: July 22nd)
4. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest (August  9th-16th, Application deadline: July 21st)
5. McKinsey Information Session (July- August)
6. Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship Program (Application Deadline: September 1st)

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

********** MIT **********

1. GSC Dissertaion Bootcamp
When: Monday, July 28th- Friday August 8th, 10am-5pm
Where: Hayden Library, MIT Campus
Info: gsc-arc at mit.edu

Dear Graduate Students,

Are you preparing for your thesis to meet the summer thesis submission deadline? GSC is here to help! We will provide you with a quiet place to work on your thesis with other graduate students! Breakfast & coffee will be provided everyday! This bootcamp will start on July 28th, and continue till Aug. 8th. You can choose attend any day that work best for you. If you are interested, please sign up here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19Bwqg3HFTUhasJW5iyxMcHMiU0vAWO3J6h_ZQTyL9Dw/viewform?c=0&w=1>.

Breakfast & Coffee Provided!

GSC
Academics, Research & Career Committee

2. MIT Museum - Program
When: Summer
Where: MIT Museum, 265 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
Info: http://bit.ly/1ixYIU4

This summer, the MIT Museum is offering various exhibitions, programs, and opportunities of giving back to the community. Also, don’t miss the second Fridays, the free entrance days, and the many other events organized. Check the schedule out at http://bit.ly/1ixYIU4

**********Outside MIT**********

3. Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition
When: August 12th-22nd
Application Deadline: Tuesday, July 22nd
Info: http://harvardmitcasecompetition.com<http://harvardmitcasecompetition.com/>/

The competition spans 11 days and provides participants with a unique opportunity to engage in a real business problem currently being faced by a client company. Past clients include Zipcar, My Trio Rings, SocialSci, and others. Participants will work in four-person interdisciplinary teams to analyze the case, develop creative and realistic solutions, and in the final stage of the competition present their recommendations to the client company and consultant judges. The Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition is unique among its kind as it closely simulates real-world consulting in a compressed but substantial time-frame of 11 days, giving participants access to mentorship from top consultants and industry experts, and providing them with feedback from the client company, consultants, and other experts.

Check out http://harvardmitcasecompetition.com/ for more information!<http://harvardmitcasecompetition.com/%20for%20more%20information!>

4. DESERT LIFE: Field Studies of Art+Nature in the Southwest
When: August 9th-16th
Deadline: July 21st
Info and registration: http://www.artbiocollaborative.com/desert-life

Discover the unique beauty of the desert in this one-of-a-kind artistic journey through white sand dunes, black lava rock, underground caverns, and mountain and landscapes of West Texas and New Mexico.

5. McKinsey Information Session
When: July- August
Info: http://bit.ly/1scek8l, http://bit.ly/1sQYpcV

We are organizing a series of web presentations in July to help graduate students learn more about McKinsey & Company.  Each session will provide an introduction to McKinsey, the work we do and details on our application process while highlighting one of several McKinsey practices or topics, including Big Data, Business Technology, Healthcare, Oil & Gas, Women at McKinsey.

Please visit our “Online Events” section on our website for further details and to RSVP for a session: http://bit.ly/1scek8l

We will also be hosting campus information sessions in late August/early September at some campuses in the Northeast. Please check your institution's section on our website to view specific dates. You will be able to RSVP for these events in August. http://bit.ly/1sQYpcV

6. Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship Program
Application Deadline: September 1st
Apply at: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/policyfellows/index.htm

The Christine Mirzayan Science & Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship Program is designed to engage early career individuals in the analytical processes that inform U.S. science and technology policy.  Fellows obtain the essential skills and knowledge needed to work in science and technology policy at the federal, state, or local levels.  Fellows spend 12 weeks at the National Academies in Washington, DC learning about science and technology policy and the role that scientists and engineers play in advising the nation. Each year, applicants from around the world become part of a National Academies committee, board, or unit.  Each fellow is assigned to a senior staff member who acts as his or her mentor. The mentor provides guidance and ensures that the fellow's time is focused on substantive projects and activities within the fellow's assigned unit.  An immersive experience, the program is designed to broaden fellows'appreciation of employment opportunities outside academia and leave them with both a firm grasp of the important and dynamic role of science and technology in decision-making and a better understanding of the role that they can play in strengthening the science and technology enterprise for the betterment of mankind.

The online application is available at: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/policyfellows/index.htm

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org<http://gwamit.org/>
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit