[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 2/3/14

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 3 12:31:24 EST 2014

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Happy Reg Day! Dr. Joanne Kamens will be speaking on work/life balance at MIT tomorrow. See further details below. If you have any events or announcements to share with the GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

MIT:
1. I’m Surviving (Happily) My Career in Science – You Can Too! The Kamens Ten Commandments of Work/Life Balance (Tues. Feb. 4, 3-4:30pm)
2. Women's Club Water Polo (Practices Mon. and Tues., 8-10pm and Thurs., 7:30-9pm, beginning Feb. 4)
3. Sloan Women in Management Conference 2014 – “Challenge Accepted” (Sat. Feb. 8, 8am-4:30pm)
4. Your College Major-A Minor Life Choice (Tues. Feb. 11, 7:15pm)

Outside MIT:
5. [MASS-AWIS] Enriching Your Mentoring Relationships: A How-To Workshop for Mentees and Mentors (Mon. Feb. 3, 6:30-8:30pm)
6. De La Femme – Salary Negotiation (Wed. Feb. 5, 6-9pm)
7. [MASS-AWIS] Speed Networking with Diane Darling (Wed. Feb. 19, 6-8:30pm)
8. SWE Boston Networking Brunch (Sun. Feb. 23, 10am-1pm)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

**********MIT**********

1. I’m Surviving (Happily) My Career in Science – You Can Too! The Kamens Ten Commandments of Work/Life Balance (Tues. Feb. 4, 3-4:30pm)
When: Tuesday, February 4, 3-4:30pm
Where: Singleton Auditorium, 46-3002
Register: http://bit.ly/JoanneKamens

Scientists have to keep doing science to be happy. This talk gives food for thought on how to stay happy in both the work and non-work spheres. Is it truly possible to bring all aspects of our lives under control? Balance is a myth – we are all (women and men) constantly negotiating our energy and attention. The goal is to maximize the time you are enjoying both work and personal life. Dr. Kamens will offer some tips and tactics that have worked for her friends, colleagues, and herself.

Dr. Joanne Kamens received her PhD in Genetics from Harvard Medical School then spent 15 years at BASF/Abbott where she led discovery research projects on small molecule and antibody approaches to inflammatory diseases, ultimately serving as Group Leader in Molecular Biology. Dr. Kamens founded the current Boston chapter of AWIS. She was the Director of the HBA Boston Mentoring Program for 3 years and serves on a number of other boards. In 2013, she was elected as a fellow to the Massachusetts Academy of Science for service to science and the community.

2. Women's Club Water Polo (Practices Mon. and Tues., 8-10pm and Thurs., 7:30-9pm, beginning Feb. 4)
When: Mondays and Tuesdays, 8-10pm and Thursdays, 7:30-9pm beginning Tuesday, February 4
Where: Z Center Pool
Contact: Cecilia, ceciliav at mit.edu

The women's club water polo team includes members of all levels from beginners to advanced. Our team includes grad students and undergrads. Come to one of our practices at the Z-Center Pool or email Cecilia: ceciliav at mit.edu (grad captain) for more information.

3. Sloan Women in Management Conference 2014 – “Challenge Accepted” (Sat. Feb. 8, 8am-4:30pm)
When: Saturday, February 8, 8am-4:30pm
Where: MIT Media Lab, 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge
Register: http://bit.ly/SWIM2014
More info: http://sloanwomeninmanagement2014conference.com/

At different points in our lives and careers, we are faced with opportunities, setbacks, and difficult choices. The 2014 SWIM Conference, entitled “Challenge Accepted”, is about facing these events head-on — whether you hope to start your own business or join the C-Suite.

We will hear from leaders across a variety of industries that have achieved success in often arduous environments. And many of us have our own challenges and opportunities on the horizon. This interactive forum will discuss how to approach each new opportunity and setback with confidence, forward-thinking, and trust in your abilities and networks.

4. Your College Major-A Minor Life Choice (Tues. Feb. 11, 7:15pm)
When: Tuesday, February 11, 7:15pm
Where: Green Room, McCormick Hall (W4)
RSVP: http://bit.ly/MinorLifeChoice

Interested in learning how a former process engineer at a chemical company became managing director at Goldman Sachs? Then come and listen to Kimberly Ritrievi talk about “Your College Major-A Minor Life Choice.” Buffet dinner will be served starting at 6:45 PM.

Kim Ritrievi got her PhD in ChemE and Masters in Management from MIT. She currently serves as President of The Ritrievi Group LLC, where Ms. Ritrievi has advised technology and chemical companies on financial strategies.

**********Outside MIT**********

5. [MASS-AWIS] Enriching Your Mentoring Relationships: A How-To Workshop for Mentees and Mentors (Mon. Feb. 3, 6:30-8:30pm)
When: Monday, February 3, 6:30-8:30pm
Where: Sackler Science Center, Clark University, Worcester
Register: http://bit.ly/MentoringRelationships
Contact: Elif Sikoglu, massawiswest at gmail.com

Mentoring is critical for career success but how do you find a mentor? How do you have a worthwhile mentoring relationship? This presentation will provide practical advice about finding, utilizing and being a mentor. Men and women welcome to attend.

6. De La Femme – Salary Negotiation (Wed. Feb. 5, 6-9pm)
When: Wednesday, February 5, 6-9pm
Where: Broad Institute Olympus Room 1001, 7 Cambridge Center, Cambridge
Register: www.dlf-negotiation.eventbrite.com

Now that you’ve got a job offer, how do you negotiate to get the salary that you deserve? Then, in the future, how do you negotiate for a promotion? The fact is that women today are making roughly 20% less on every dollar a man earns doing the exact same job.

Although there are many contributing factors, one of them is the ability to negotiate a fair salary. Come and learn from a panel of powerhouse speakers on how to determine a fair salary range, approach a salary negotiation, and get what you want!

7. [MASS-AWIS] Speed Networking with Diane Darling (Wed. Feb. 19, 6-8:30pm)
When: Wednesday, February 19, 6-8:30pm
Where: 46-3310
Register: www.massawis.org/Feb2014event/SpeedNetworking
Contact: info at massawis.org

Please join MASS AWIS for an evening of Speed Networking led by Diane Darling, a dynamic speaker and the author of the book “The Networking Survival Guide.” This event is open to everyone. This will be a fun, informative, and interactive event. Remember to bring your business cards!

8. SWE Boston Networking Brunch (Sun. Feb. 23, 10am-1pm)
When: Sunday, February 23, 10am-1pm
Where: Panera Bread, 91 Medway Road, Milford
RSVP: Chhavi Gupta, chhavigupta700 at gmail.com
More info: http://www.sweboston.org/

SWE Boston is hosting its first brunch of 2014 at Panera Bread, Milford. Panera bread serves a variety of healthy breakfast/lunch sandwiches, soups, salads and much more. Please join us for a healthy start at Panera bread. Feel free to take a look at the menu at https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/home.html

This casual networking brunch is limited to 15 due to space limitations at the restaurant, so please RSVP early. There is no registration fee to attend; it is a pay for your own meal event. Please RSVP by Friday, February 21, at noon so that we can make table reservations. Hope to see you there!

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit