[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 9/23/13

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 15:42:22 EDT 2013

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Our fall General Board Meeting is fast approaching – see further details below in order to RSVP. If you have any events or announcements to share with the GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

========
 IN BRIEF
========

GWAMIT:
1. General Board Meeting (Tues. Oct. 1, 5:30-7pm)
2. Propose a GWAMIT Volunteer Day Initiative!
3. Sign up to be a 2013-2014 GWAMIT Department Representative (new and returning reps)

MIT:
4. Making Peace with Food and Body Image (Fridays this fall)
5. Peer-to-Peer Thesis Support Workshop (Tues. Sept. 24, 6:30-9pm)
6. Lunch for Graduate Women (Wed. Sept. 25, 12-1pm)
7. Reception for New Women at MIT (Mon. Sept. 30, 4:30-6pm)
8. Apply for a Graduate Student Life Grant (Apply by Fri. Oct. 18)

Outside MIT:
9. Volunteer with Science Club for Girls (Apply now)
10. Women at MassChallenge Showcase (Mon. Sept. 23, 6-9pm)
11. [HGWISE] Beyond the PhD: Applying for Postdoctoral Fellowships, in All Fields (Thurs. Sept. 26, 4-5:30pm)
12. #SweatWorking: A Fitness + Inspiration Networking Social (Sun. Sept. 29, 9-11am)
13. 50th Anniversary of the Presidential Report on American Women (Mon. Oct. 14, 1-4:30pm)
14. [MASS-AWIS] Practical Tips for Time Management (Tues. Oct. 15, 6-8:30pm)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

**********GWAMIT**********

1. General Board Meeting (Tues. Oct. 1, 5:30-7pm)
When: Tuesday, October 1, 5:30-7pm
Where: 32-G449
RSVP: http://bit.ly/GBM-RSVP

Would you like to help GWAMIT plan future events? Become more involved with GWAMIT now! Learn more about how to get involved in GWAMIT by coming to our General Board Meeting on Tuesday, October 1.

The meeting will be a town hall style discussion event where you can discuss issues relating to graduate women in your department and across the Institute. Dinner will be served, and we will brainstorm ways GWAMIT can support members across all departments. The GWAMIT General Board needs motivated women who want to help us plan conferences, put together collaborative events, advocate for women on campus, advertise our programs, and so much more!

2. Propose a GWAMIT Volunteer Day Initiative!
Contact: GWAMIT Exec Board, gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Proposal form: http://bit.ly/GWAMITVolunteer

Interested in community service? GWAMIT is recruiting proposals for a community outreach event this semester. Proposals are welcome on topics including, but not limited to: educational outreach to K-12 youth interested in STEM, volunteering at a local shelter, holding a public service event on campus, etc.

Fill out the short proposal form linked above if you have an idea, and we will provide financial and logistic support for approved proposals.

3. Sign up to be a 2013-2014 GWAMIT Department Representative (new and returning reps)
Sign up: http://bit.ly/GWAMITDepRepApp

Interested in getting more involved with GWAMIT? Become a GWAMIT Department Representative! As a department rep, you will serve as the liaison between your department and GWAMIT. This includes updating your department on GWAMIT events and initiatives and letting us know if any issues related to graduate women in your program arise. It is a great, low time commitment way to get involved with GWAMIT, and we are looking for multiple reps from each department!

If interested, fill out the above form and keep an eye out for our upcoming General Board meeting this semester. Returning reps: also fill out the above form to indicate that you would like to continue this year.

**********MIT**********

4. Making Peace with Food and Body Image (Fridays this fall)
When: Fridays in Fall 2013
Contact: Zan Barry, bars at med.mit.edu

This group helps foster a healthy relationship with food, exercise and body image. It’s useful for those who are struggling with an unhealthy relationship with food or weight, or thinking about food or weight so much that it distracts from their studies and interferes with social events.

The group provides education, support, and practical strategies to manage food and body stress. Group leaders: Audra Bartz and Zan Barry. Contact Zan Barry (bars at med.mit.edu) for more information.

5. Peer-to-Peer Thesis Support Workshop (Tues. Sept. 24, 6:30-9pm)
When: Tuesday, September 24, 6:30-9pm
Where: Tang Hall 24th Floor
Register: Email Wiljeana Glover, wjglover at mit.edu

Join our writing accountability group workshops and learn from experts on writing, mental wellness, career options, and communicating your research’s broader impacts. Join our Peer-to-Peer Thesis Support Workshops -- targeted to post-proposal students, but all are welcome!

Next workshop is on Tuesday, September 24th, from 6:30-9pm at the Tang Residence Hall 24th Floor. Dinner is provided, space is limited, and registration is preferred! To register, please email Dr. Wiljeana Glover at: wjglover at mit.edu.

6. Lunch for Graduate Women (Wed. Sept. 25, 12-1pm)
When: Wednesday, September 25, 12-1pm
Where: Cheney Room (3-310)

Please join us for our 1st GWG lunch gathering of the academic year. This gathering is always a wonderful way to connect with other graduate women across the Institute.

Note for Advanced Graduate Women: PLEASE BRING A FIRST YEAR GRADUATE WOMAN STUDENT WITH YOU. The 1st five who do will get a small "thank you" gift (hint- you can spend it :-). See you Wednesday.

7. Reception for New Women at MIT (Mon. Sept. 30, 4:30-6pm)
When: Monday, September 30, 4:30-6pm
Where: Bush Room (10-105)
Contact: Sis de Bordenave, wleague at mit.edu

Every fall the Women's League welcomes new women at MIT to the Institute community and introduces them to the League's various programs and activities. Having arrived from across the country and around the world - as new faculty, staff, and graduate students, and as spouses and significant others - these newcomers are looking for ways to meet others and participate in all things MIT.

During the reception, Christine Reif, wife of MIT President Rafael Reif, former Women's League Chair Kim Watson, and Vice Chair Srirupa Mitra will welcome guests and an informative short program will be presented by representatives from Human Resources, MIT spouses&partners, the MIT Work-Life Center and MIT Police. There will be ample opportunity to talk with these representatives as well as to League interest group members and service project organizers. Other helpful offices at the Institute will be present as well. All will be happy to explain and answer questions about their activities. We hope that you can be part of this congenial annual event. The Women's League welcomes all women of the MIT community to join us.

8. Apply for a Graduate Student Life Grant (Apply by Fri. Oct. 18)
When: Apply by Friday, October 16
More info: http://odge.mit.edu/community/gslg/

The Graduate Student Life Grants program is a request-for-proposal process inviting graduate students, spouses, faculty, or staff to submit creative, community building ideas for possible funding. We encourage you to apply for funds - especially in collaboration with other students or student groups. Proposals may address a specific constituency such as families; they may cross departments or focus within a discipline; they may target several residence halls, or a variety of student groups. Their purpose should be to explore the role and relevance of community in creating a more balanced and fulfilling graduate experience.

Previous successful grants include Weekly Wednesdays at the Muddy Charles, Greek Cooking Class, Science Policy Bootcamp, the FamilyNet website, and "An Evening with Tom Chapin." The application deadline is midnight on Friday, October 18, 2013. Proposal authors will have the opportunity to answer any questions from the selection panel; funds will be released after December 6, 2013.

Apply: http://bit.ly/SCFGMentorApp
More info: http://bit.ly/SCFGInfo
Contact: Melissa Hirsch, mhirsch at scienceclubforgirls.org

Remember your first sciencey "Ah-Ha!" moment? Remember your favorite science teacher that helped spark your creativity and insight that has led you where you are today?

Here is your chance to be that spark for girls in the Cambridge and Boston area! Science Club for Girls is looking for some amazing women to volunteer with us for 2-3 hours each week from October to December as Mentor-Scientists. Mentors, in groups of two, use our own specialized curriculum to teach groups of 8-10 girls at our weekly after school and Saturday sites. Each volunteer will go through our specialized online orientation, 6 hour in-person training, and will be supported throughout the process by the trained and dedicated SCFG Staff. Fill out the SCFG Volunteer Application and choose which site you want to get involved with. Contact Melissa Hirsch (mhirsch at scienceclubforgirls.org) with questions about volunteering at SCFG.

10. Women at MassChallenge Showcase (Mon. Sept. 23, 6-9pm)
When: Monday, September 23, 6-9pm
Where: MassChallenge Headquarters, Marina Park Drive, Boston
Register: http://womenatmasschallengeshowcase-es2.eventbrite.com/

Women-led Firms are a rising tide. Research concludes what many have long suspected: the next wave of global innovation will be spurred by women entrepreneurs - for good reason. Women own about 40 percent of private businesses in the United States. Venture-backed companies led by women have on average 12 percent greater annual revenue generation. Companies who count women in their senior leadership ranks fail less often than those who do not.

It will be hard to stop this rising tide of success, but you can join it! MassChallenge is riding the wave. Companies founded by women participating in MassChallenge reached an all-time high this year and span industries and business models ranging from consumer products to life sciences and mobile technology. Come join us for an evening showcasing these companies and meet the up-and-coming high growth ventures you need to know!

11. [HGWISE] Beyond the PhD: Applying for Postdoctoral Fellowships, in All Fields (Thurs. Sept. 26, 4-5:30pm)
When: Thursday, September 26, 4-5:30pm
Where: Dudley House Graduate Student Lounge, Harvard University, Cambridge

Go beyond the PhD and learn about the applying for postdoctoral fellowships, in all fields. Students currently holding postdoctoral fellowships will share their experiences. The Director of Fellowships will offer advice on how to prepare a competitive application. Part of the Harvard Becoming Faculty series, co-sponsored by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and by the FAS Office of Career Services.

12. #SweatWorking: A Fitness + Inspiration Networking Social (Sun. Sept. 29, 9-11am)
When: Sunday, September 29, 9-11am
Where: Athleta, 92 Newbury Street, Boston
Register: http://sweatworking-es2.eventbrite.com/

Whether you're seeking ideas, inspiration, support, or new connections, join Athleta, Eventbrite, and likeminded passionate young women for #SweatWorking: A Fitness and Inspiration Networking Social!

First, join Lauren Miller of Bosse City Club as she leads us through a one-hour power vinyasa flow set to tunes provided by DJour Entertainment! Be sure to bring a yoga mat, bottled water, and a towel, as you're sure to get sweaty!

Following the sweat portion of the evening, we'll move on to networking (over healthy brunch bites and mimosas, of course!) This month's theme is strength and perseverance. We'll be joined by two women from Making Strides Against Breast Cancer to share with us their stories of survival and will leave us inspired and confident that no matter WHAT obstacle come our way, we can beat it through strength and perseverance!

13. 50th Anniversary of the Presidential Report on American Women (Mon. Oct. 14, 1-4:30pm)
When: Monday, October 14, 1-4:30pm
Where: JFK Library, 200 William T Morrisey Boulevard, Boston
More info:  http://www.jfklibrary.org/Events-and-Awards/Forums
Register: http://bit.ly/JFKLibraryRSVP

In 1961, President John F. Kennedy established a Presidential Commission to examine and report on the status of American women. The Commission, chaired by Eleanor Roosevelt from its beginning until her death in 1962, published its report in October 1963. The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum and the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University are partnering to host a two-day, dual-site conference to mark this important historical milestone and to reflect on the status of American women 50 years later.

On Monday, October 14, join Allida Black, Eleanor Clift, Sue Cobble, Jill Ker Conway, Ellen Fitzpatrick, Sandra Fluke, Aileen Hernandez, Tracy Roosevelt, and Hilda Solis for “The 50th Anniversary of the Presidential Report on American Women,” an afternoon conference and discussion at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.

14. [MASS-AWIS] Practical Tips for Time Management (Tues. Oct. 15, 6-8:30pm)
When: Tuesday, October 15, 6-8:30pm
Where: Merck Research Laboratories, 33 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston
Register: http://bit.ly/TimeManagementRSVP

There’s a lot expected of you, but you can manage your day so that you’re still in control. In this seminar, you’ll learn tips and techniques to help you prioritize, handle emails and papers, get organized, as well as learn other practical, tactical information to help you be more productive and get done what needs to be done.

Speaker Lorena Prime has worked for several Fortune 500 companies, including 3M, Office Depot, and US Surgical/Covidien in Sales, Marketing, Training, and Information Technology. She shifted gears after 17 years in Corporate America to start her own company so she could focus on her love of efficiency and employee productivity. She now works with individuals and businesses to streamline tasks, assess work flow and business processes. Through her seminars and consulting sessions, she teaches life-long time management and organizing skills to help people get more out of every day.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit