[GWAMIT] Announcements - Week of 7/15/13

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 15 12:39:56 EDT 2013

Dear GWAMIT Members,

The “Dear Kate” advice column is now accepting question submissions – see
details below. If you have any events or announcements to share with the
GWAMIT membership, please email us at gwamit-sec at mit.edu.

*The GWAMIT Board
*Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
 IN BRIEF
========

GWAMIT:*
1. Submit Questions for “Dear Kate” (Respond by Mon. July 15)

*MIT:
*2. Backup Childcare Program for Students (Starting now)
3. 2013 Summer Dissertation Bootcamp (July 29 - Aug. 9, 9am-6pm)
4. Announcing MIT’s Versatile PhD Subscription (Available now)

*Outside MIT:
*5. Follow Up Discussion and Q&A on the GWAMIT Conference Event “How to
Communicate to Establish Credibility and Authority” (Tues. July 16, 3-5pm)
6. Harvard Law School Program on Gender Violence Web Developer Position
Open (Apply now)
7. SWE Boston Networking Brunch (Sun. July 21, 12-2pm)
8. Women’s Night at the Venture Café (Thurs. Aug. 8, 5-8pm)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

*====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================

**********GWAMIT***********

*1. Submit Questions for “Dear Kate” (Respond by Mon. July 15)
Link for question submissions:* http://tinyurl.com/ah49j5b

Please submit your questions for Dear Kate, the GWAMIT Mentoring
Committee's advice blog. Each month, the GWAMIT mentors answers questions
posed by students. The most recent edition can be found at:
http://www.gwamit.blogspot.com/2013/07/dear-kate-june-2013-edition.html

Please submit your questions for next month's edition! They can be
submitted at: http://tinyurl.com/ah49j5b. Questions for next month's column
are due on July 15th. That's today!

***********MIT**********
*
*2. Backup Childcare Program for Students (Starting now)
When:* Starting July 1
*Pre-register:* http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/backup-child-care-students
*Contact:* MIT Work Life Center (worklife at mit.edu) or GSC Family
Subcommittee (gsc-hca-family-chair at mit.edu)

The MIT Work Life-Center, the Graduate Student Council, and the Office of
the Provost, with the support of the Office of the Dean for Graduate
Education and the Office of the Chancellor, are pleased to announce a new
one-year pilot program to offer high-quality affordable backup child care
to students for the 2013-2014 academic year, starting July 1, 2013 and
running through June 30, 2014.

Parents in a Pinch, Inc. is a nation-wide service provider, and their
screened, trained caregivers are available on short notice to provide
childcare, day or evening, 7 days a week Students pay only $5 per hour, and
can use the service up to 10 times annually, for a minimum of 4 and a
maximum of 8 hours each time. To use the service, please pre-register
online: http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/backup-child-care-students

*3. 2013 Summer Dissertation Bootcamp (July 29 - Aug. 9, 9am-6pm)
When:* Monday, July 29 – Friday, August 9, 9am-6pm
*Register:* http://bit.ly/DBC2013
*Contact:* gsc-arc at mit.edu

Three times a year, the GSC's ARC Committee holds the Dissertation Boot
Camp (DBC) for students who are writing their theses. We have reserved
dedicated space in a library to provide a quiet space for people to solely
work on his or her thesis. We also provide a free breakfast and snacks as
well as a few short lectures to help you improve your thesis.

We only ask that you make a small deposit ($2 per day), which you will be
returned to you if you complete every day for which you sign up. About 12
spots will be available. First come, first serve (including making the
necessary deposit). Once your form is submitted, we will email you about
where to make the deposit and where the bootcamp is being held. Please
e-mail gsc-arc at mit.edu with any questions (please include "Bootcamp" in the
subject line).

*4. Announcing MIT’s Versatile PhD Subscription (Available now)
Access:* http://versatilephd.com/

We are pleased to announce MIT’s subscription to The Versatile PhD, a
web-based resource for PhDs considering careers beyond academia. Our
subscription, generously supported by ODGE, can be accessed by students and
alumni via GECD’s webpage and student CareerBridge accounts. Once students
register, they can simply log in to the site directly (www.versatilephd.com)

And don’t forget - students can make appointments all summer for one-on-one
career advising with PhD career counselors Dr. Natalie Lundsteen and Dr.
Marilyn Wilson, via the CareerBridge system (http://gecd.mit.edu)

***********Outside MIT**********
*
*5. Follow Up Discussion and Q&A on the GWAMIT Conference Event “How to
Communicate to Establish Credibility and Authority” (Tues. July 16, 3-5pm)
When:* Tuesday, July 16, 3-5pm
*Where:* Room 4-144
*Contact:* ms at cambridgecommunications.com

Michele Souda will be available to take questions, hear comments and ideas,
and give advice regarding your personal presentation style. She is offering
two hours of follow-up on Tuesday, July 16th, from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
on the MIT campus (Bldg 4 - Room 144).

In her talk, she stressed how we can control others’ judgments of us in a
number of areas: through every visual aspect of ourselves that can be seen
from the moment we walk into a room, to the content of what we provide in
those crucial first three minutes of communicating, to how we cannily
strategize the sequence of our information, to choosing some of the
language we use, and so much more. If you attend this follow-up session,
you may want more direction in how to do any or all of these things. If you
plan on attending, please email Michele at: ms at cambridgecommunications.com.

Apply by contacting:* shdaum at post.harvard.edu

Professor Diane Rosenfeld of Harvard Law School (HLS) runs the Program on
Gender Violence at HLS and is looking to hire a web developer to help her
put together a web site for an advocacy project on creating female
alliances to end sexual violence.

This would be a part time, paid position for the duration of the site setup
(summer / early fall) and the site would be relatively simple. If
interested, please email Schuyler Daum at: shdaum at post.harvard.edu.

*7. SWE Boston Networking Brunch (Sun. July 21, 12-2pm)
When:* Sunday, July 21, 12-2pm
*Where:* The Flatbread Company, 213 Burlington Road, Bedford
*Register:* http://swebosjulybrunch2013-eorg.eventbrite.com

SWE Boston's brunch series continues this July at a pizza joint named
Flatbread! Flatbread is right at the Bedford and Burlington line in a
watershed area called Vinebrook. Please join us for the hot organic
flatbreads, salads and desserts.

Bring your family and friends! Space is limited, so please RSVP early.
There is no registration fee to attend; just pay for your own meal. Hope to
see you there! Ride shares are available. Check the SWE Boston Facebook
page for upcoming information about ride shares.

*8. Women’s Night at the Venture Café (Thurs. Aug. 8, 5-8pm)
When:* Thursday, August 8, 5-8pm
*Where:* Cambridge Innovation Center, Venture Café, 1 Broadway, 4th Floor,
Cambridge
*Register:* http://westandventurecafe-es2.eventbrite.com/

WEST, XX in Health, Venture Café, and mosaicHUB invite you to a special
“Women's Night” at the Venture Café with fun, food, drinks, and featured
panels/breakout sessions.

The Venture Café was created to provide a resource for the Boston
entrepreneurial and innovation communities. The mission is to enable fresh
and useful conversations. The Venture Café serves as a nexus for helping
innovators and entrepreneurs find one another and collaborate to bring
their dreams to reality. The shared physical spaces provide common meeting
ground and a forum for semi-serendipitous encounters that often foster
brainstorming and drive creativity.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit