[GWAMIT] Announcements 05/14/2012

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 14 17:02:27 EDT 2012

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Take the GWAMIT 2012 Membership Survey at http://bit.ly/gwamit_survey now
until May 31 to enter a raffle to win a $50 Amazon.com gift card!  Every
10th survey respondent will also win a GWAMIT reusable tote.

Enjoy the week,

*The GWAMIT Board
*Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
========
**
*
*GWAMIT:*
1. Take the GWAMIT 2012 Membership Survey! (Survey open now until May 31st)
2. GWAMIT Mentoring Program Committee Positions Open (Respond by May 15)
3. Join the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference Planning Committee (Fri. May
18, 3-4pm)
4. Join the GWAMIT Publicity Team (Positions open now!)
*
*
*MIT:*
5. [GECD] Career Planning for PhD's Workshop Series (Applications due Wed.
May 16)
6. Help strengthen advising and career services for Ph.D. students
(Volunteer to be interviewed in May)
*
*
*Outside MIT:*
7. [AWIS] Influence without Authority Event (Wed. May 16, 6-8:30pm)
8. NextGen Voices: Be Published in Science! (Due Fri. May 18)
9. Outreach: Telling Your Story (Sat. May 19, 9am-2:30pm)
10. [GWIS-Boston] Travel Grant Applications Open Now (Due May 20)
11. [AWIS] Mentoring Matters - A Celebration of the MASS-AWIS Mentoring
Program (Wed. May 23, 6:30-9pm)
 12. Participate in Research on Engineering Ph.D. Education (Sign up now!)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

*====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================*
*
*

***********GWAMIT***********

*
*
*1. Take the GWAMIT 2012 Membership Survey! (Survey open now until May 31st)
*
*When:* Now until May 31
*Where:* http://bit.ly/gwamit_survey
*How Long:* About 10 minutes
*Win!* Enter the raffle to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card.  Every 10th survey
respondent receives a GWAMIT tote.

The GWAMIT Executive Board invites you to take our first ever Membership
Survey.  Your responses will help us shape GWAMIT initiatives, policies,
events and event content for the next year.  We would love to know your
opinions!

In taking the survey, you may enter to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!  In
addition, every 10th survey respondent will recieve a GWAMIT tote (while
supplies last; must be able to pick up or have interdepartmental mailing
address).

Thank you for your time and useful feedback,

The GWAMIT Executive Board

*
*

*
*

*2. GWAMIT Mentoring Program Committee Positions Open (Respond by May 15)*

*When: *Opening dinner meeting in mid-May
*Contact if interested:* Xuwen (xwzhu at mit.edu) or Ricarose (ria at mit.edu)

*Interested in helping women graduate students connect to faculty and
alumni mentors? Mentoring program is now recruiting committee members!

1. What is the Mentoring Program? *

   - A yearlong program: we match mentors and mentees during the summer,
   and groups meet individually every month
   - Three events during the year:  kick-off dinner, spring social,
   end-of-year reception

*
2. How can I get involved with Mentoring Program Planning Committee?
a) Open positions include:  *

*

   - Advertising Lead: Recruit new grad students to the program
   - Mentor Relations Lead: Oversee recruitment, and retention of mentors
   - Group Relations Lead: Liaison between committee and groups
   - Event Planning Lead: Plan the two dinners and spring social

b) Committee members are guaranteed participation in the program and have
the chance to choose their mentors*

*3. Join the GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference Planning Committee (Fri. May
18, 3-4pm) When:* Friday, May 18, 3-4pm *Where:* Stata Center Cafe
*Contact:* smtikoo at mit.edu
*
*Were you impressed with our Fall 2011 Leadership Conference and Spring
2012 Empowerment Conference?

   - Do you want to get more involved with GWAMIT?
   - Do you want more leadership experience to further your
   personal/professional development?
   - Do you want to work with strong, motivated, and passionate women?
   - Do you have an idea for a talk/panel/workshop?

If yes, you should definitely join our Fall 2012 Leadership Conference Planning
Committee.  Event ideas proposed for this year so far include: Personal
Branding, Building and Managing a Successful Team, Dress to Impress, and
more! Help us bring innovative, provocative, and informative events to
campus!  Come to our planning meeting or email Sonia Tikoo-Schantz at
smtikoo at mit.edu for more information!

*4. Join the GWAMIT Publicity Team (Positions open now!)*
*For more information:  *Contact* *Dianne Kamfonik (diannek at mit.edu) or Lan
Li (lanli at mit.edu)
*
*
GWAMIT is currently recruiting for a Publicity Team. If you are looking for
a way to contribute more to GWAMIT in a low-key and flexible way, this is a
great opportunity! Post on our blog or social media sites once per week.
Available positions include:

   - Textual Social Media Chair
   - Photo Social Media Chair
   - Feminist/Activism Blogger
   - Resource Highlights Blogger
   - STEM News/Professional Development Blogger

*
*

*
*

***********MIT***********
*
*
*5. [GECD] Career Planning for PhD's Workshop Series (Applications due Wed.
May 16)*
*When:* June 11, 13, 18, 25, and 27, 10am-12pm; Applications due Wednesday,
May 16
*Application:*
http://surveys.myinterfase.com/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=n4324l20

*Do you ever find yourself wondering?*

   - “What do I really want out of my life, my PhD and future jobs?
   - “What do I want out of a career?”
   - “How do I talk about my research to a non-technical audience?”

   - “How do I even go about networking and making external connections?

If you have answered YES to any of the above questions, you might be a good
candidate for the* *Career Planning For PhD’s program.

In these five 2 hour group sessions, we will cover essential career
planning competencies such as self-assessment, communication, business
etiquette and networking. As a participant you will gain awareness of what
skills, interests and values you want to use in your work and expand your
knowledge of relevant resources and tools that will help when seeking full
time employment upon graduation. [*PLEASE NOTE:* This course does NOT deal
with direct job hunting, resumes, salary negotiation etc. The focus will be
on self-exploration, career decision making and expanding your knowledge of
resources to help you upon graduation.]

*Space:* Space is limited. 14-16 PhD students will be accepted
* *
*PLEASE NOTE: it is mandatory that you are able to attend ALL 5 sessions.*

*

6. **Help strengthen advising and career services for Ph.D. students
(Volunteers to be interviewed in May)
**When:*    Interviews are being scheduled in May
*Where:*   On campus
*Contact:*  STEMcareer at mit.edu to book a time that fits your schedule

   - Are you PhD student in engineering at MIT?
   - Have you completed your second year?
   - Provide your perspective on the role of advisors and mentors
   - Interviews last 1 to 1.5 hours
   - Gift card of $25 to all participants

***********Outside MIT***********

*
*
*7. [AWIS] Influence without Authority Event (Wed. May 16, 6-8:30pm)*
*When:* Wednesday, May 16, 6-8:30pm
*Where:* Merck Research Laboratories Atrium & Auditorium, 33 Avenue Louis
Pasteur, Boston, MA
*Register:* www.acteva.com/go/mass-awis

Many situations require getting things done through others, when we don't
have explicit power. This seminar will provide an overview of what
motivates others, common mistakes, and practical tips on how to lead others
in an organization when you don't have authority over them.

*Speaker:* Dr. Gwen Acton is the CEO of Vivo Group, a strategic consulting
firm in Boston that specializes in improving the productivity and
innovation of scientists and engineers. She is an expert on strategic
leadership at the intersection of science and business. Gwen holds a PhD in
biology from MIT and has served as the Director of Scientific Development
at the Whitehead Institute, Center for Genome Research. She is also a
former faculty member at Harvard and the Author of the book: "Bluffers
Guide to Genetics".

 *Agenda:*

6:00-6:30 pm:  Registration, Networking and light dinner (Atrium)

6:30-6:45 pm:  Announcements and Promotions (Auditorium)

6:45-7:45 pm: Talk by Dr. Gwen Acton (Auditorium)

7:45-8:30 pm:  Networking and Dessert
*
*
*
*
*8. NextGen Voices: Be Published in Science! (Due Fri. May 18)*
*When:* Submission deadline Friday, May 18
*Response submission:* http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NextGen3br

Thank you for your continued support for our NextGen VOICES survey, a
feature intended to engage young scientists.  Our third survey is now open.
 The question is: Describe a specific experience and how it changed your
science, training, or career goals.  Submit responses of 250 words or less
to the URL above - submission deadline is 18 May.  A selection of the best
*
*
*
*
*9. Outreach: Telling Your Story (Sat. May 19, 9am-2:30pm)
When:* Saturday, May 19, 9am-2:30pm
*Where:* Bush Room (10-105)
*Signup:*  <http://goog_1661981900/>
http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/ScienceOnTheStreet/TellingYourStory.aspx

The *Telling Your Story* program aims to form collaborations resulting in
classroom visits where STEM professionals will “tell the story” of how they
became inspired to pursue a STEM career, and what their research and life
is like now. Teachers and STEM professionals work together to craft a visit
that will inspire the next generation about science, technology,
engineering and math!

This is a great opportunity to learn more about K-12 education, learn best
practices for speaking with young audiences, and make connections that will
provide you with valuable 'broader impacts' experience. The program is open
to 5th-8th grade teachers and scientists and engineers at all levels, from
graduate students to faculty to lab technicians.

TYS is facilitated by Dr. Phoebe Cohen, Education and Outreach Lead for the
MIT NASA Astrobiology Team, and Jessica Garrett, MIT Edgerton Center
Outreach Coordinator,
and a former public school teacher. The project is funded by the
Paleontological Society, NASA Astrobiology Team and the Cambridge Science
Festival.
*
*
*
*
*10. [GWIS-Boston] Travel Grant Applications Open Now (Due Sun. May 20)*
*When: *Deadline for application May 20

Travel grants of $300-500 will be awarded to academic scientists
(undergraduate, graduate student, or postdoc at an institution in New
England) for travel to a scientific conference where the awardee will be
giving a presentation (oral or poster), between May 15, 2012 and May 30,
2013. Researchers in all fields of experimental and theoretical science
(including the social sciences), mathematics, and engineering are eligible.

Please submit the following (as PDF, MS Word, or text format documents
ONLY) by May 20, 2012, to the GWIS Alpha Omega email address
sdegwisboston at gmail.com:

   - Name, mailing address, and email address
   - Name of the advisor who will submit the letter of recommendation
   - A description of the applicant's research geared toward a lay
   scientific audience (no more than 1 page)
   - A copy of the abstract that has been or will be submitted for the
   conference, including the conference name, dates, and location
   - A brief statement describing how the conference will contribute to the
   applicant's professional development
   - A brief statement of financial need.

In addition, the applicant’s faculty advisor should submit a letter of
recommendation directly to sdegwisboston at gmail.com with the name of the
applicant stated at the beginning of the letter.

Applicants will receive confirmation that their applications are complete.
The award will be announced in June. The applicant must be a member of GWIS
at the time of application. The application for membership is available at
http://www.gwis.org/member/application.htm or join on-line. The awardee(s)
will be expected to present the research to the GWIS Alpha Omega Chapter
upon return from the conference, and will be given complimentary GWIS
membership for an additional year.

Funding for this award is generously provided by Pearson Higher Education.
Please support our sponsors! Additional funding provided by donations from
GWIS members. Thank you for your support!

*11. [AWIS] Mentoring Matters - A Celebration of the MASS-AWIS Mentoring
Program (Wed. May 23, 6:30-9pm)*
*When:* Wednesday, May 23, 6:30-9pm
*Where:* 46-3310
*RSVP: *http://www.acteva.com/go/mass-awis

Mentoring is fundamental to both our personal and career development –
mentoring matters! This celebration marks the end of the MASS AWIS
2011-2012 Mentoring Program. We also welcome those interested in
participating in future mentoring circles, either as a mentor or mentee.

Come hear our distinguished speaker, Dr. Joanne Kamens- Executive Director
of Addgene; Dr.Kamens has been actively involved in raising awareness for
women in science since 1998. She was the founding president of the
Massachusetts AWIS chapter and was instrumental in starting the MASS AWIS
Mentoring Circle program.

Agenda:

6:30-7:00pm: Registration, Networking, and Light Dinner

7:00-8:00pm: Recap of this year’s Mentoring Circles

8:00-8:30pm: Presentation by Dr. Joanne Kamens

8:30-9:00pm: Networking/Conclusion of the evening

*12. Participate in Research on Engineering Ph.D. Education (Sign up now!)*
*When:* Interviews from May - August
*Questions:* ann.masterman at bc.edu
*Sign up: *https://bclynch.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_afL7oVsbvM6hse8

I am conducting a study as part of my dissertation research that compares
and contrasts the doctoral experiences and degree progress for women in
Engineering with those of women in Education, and I am writing to ask for
your participation as a female doctoral student pursuing an Engineering
doctoral degree at MIT. I am looking for women doctoral students enrolled
full-time in their second, third, fourth, or fifth year or beyond of
doctoral study in the School of Engineering at MIT. The nature of your
participation in this study would require 3 1-hour individual interviews
with me, and a 1-hour focus group with other Engineering women at MIT
facilitated by me.

Women who participate in my research study will be compensated *$75 in* *Gift
Cards *for the interviews *and a free lunch or dinner* while participating
in the focus group. The interviews and focus group are scheduled to take
place between May and August 2012 at MIT. With the exception of the first
interview which must be in-person, these interviews can be conducted using
video-conferencing (e.g. Skype) if you will not be on-campus at MIT during
these months.

Because women are underrepresented as doctoral students in male-dominated
fields such as Engineering, I am interested in learning more about your
unique doctoral student experiences as a woman studying Engineering, as
well as the supports and barriers you experience as you continue to pursue
your doctoral degree.

If you are interested in participating in this important project, please
click the link above to fill out a 6-question participant eligibility form.
Once you submit the form, I will be in touch with you shortly to provide
you with additional information about your participation in the study.

- Ann K. Masterman; Ph.D Candidate, Higher Education; Boston College Lynch
School of Education

******************
*
*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
*Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit