[GWAMIT] Announcements 6/4/2012

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Jun 5 10:52:52 EDT 2012

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Take the GWAMIT 2012 Membership Survey at http://bit.ly/gwamit_survey now
to enter a raffle to win a $50 Amazon.com gift card!  Every 10th survey
respondent will also win a GWAMIT reusable tote, and everyone's eligible to
participate.

Over the summer, the Digest will be released every other Monday.  For more
frequent updates on events of interest to GWAMIT members, check out our
calendar at http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest.

Enjoy the week,

*The GWAMIT Board
*Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
========
**
*
*GWAMIT:*
1. Win a $50 Amazon Gift card or a GWAMIT tote by taking the Membership
Survey! (http://bit.ly/gwamit_survey)
2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference Planning Meeting (Fri. Jun. 15, 3-4pm)
3. Join the GWAMIT Publicity Team (Positions open now!)
*
*
*MIT:*
4. [ODGE] Apply to be a Graduate Community Fellow (Application Deadlines
Vary)
5. [GWG] Space Available in the Graduate Women's Reading Group (Meets
Monthly)
*
*
*Outside MIT:*
6. [Harvard] The Leap from Academia to Industry (Thu. Jun. 7, 2-4pm)
7. Women in Advanced Computing Summit (Tues. Jun. 12)
8. [MASS-AWIS] Finding the Joy: How to Choose Your Next Lab or Workplace
(Mon. Jun. 25, 6-9pm)
9. [Harvard] Academic Job Search Series: Going on the Academic Job Market
(Thu. Jun. 28, 10-11:30am)
10. [MASS-AWIS] Recruiting Mentees for the 2012-2013 Mentoring Circle
Program (Applications due Jun. 30)
11. Science Club for Girls Summer Science Week (Tues. Jul. 17-Fri. Jul. 20,
8:30am-5:30pm daily)
12. Opportunities with the Scientista Foundation
13. Participate in Research on Engineering Ph.D. Education (Sign up now!)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitinterest

*====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
====================*
*
*

***********GWAMIT***********

*
*
*1. **Win a $50 Amazon Gift card or a GWAMIT tote by taking the Membership
Survey! (*http://bit.ly/gwamit_survey*)*
*Where:* http://bit.ly/gwamit_survey
*How Long:* Less than 10 minutes
*Win!* Enter the raffle to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card.  Every 10th survey
respondent receives a GWAMIT tote - 15 members have already won!

The GWAMIT Executive Board invites you to take our first ever Membership
Survey.  Your responses will help us shape GWAMIT initiatives, policies,
events and event content for the next year.  We would love to know your
opinions!

In taking the survey, you may enter to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!  In
addition, every 10th survey respondent will recieve a GWAMIT tote (while
supplies last; must be able to pick up or have interdepartmental mailing
address).

*2. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference Planning Meeting (Fri. Jun. 15,
3-4pm) When:* Friday, June 15, 3-4pm *Where:* Stata Center Cafe
*Contact:* smtikoo at mit.edu

Do you ever wonder:

   - How does one conduct self-promotion and create a personal brand?
   - How do academics foster industry connections and form spin-off
   companies?
   - How do women come up with 'game-changing ideas' and become inventors?
   - How do you build and manage a successful team in the corporate world
   and in academia?

If you would like to see events focused on these topics in this year's
GWAMIT Leadership Conference, we encourage you to participate by joining
our Planning Committee.

If you are interested in helping out, please attend our next meeting on
Friday, June 15th, from 3-4 PM in the Stata Center Cafe, or email Sonia at
smtikoo at mit.edu to learn more.

*3. Join the GWAMIT Publicity Team (Positions open now!)*
*For more information:  *Contact* *Dianne Kamfonik (diannek at mit.edu) or Lan
Li (lanli at mit.edu)
*
*
GWAMIT is currently recruiting for a Publicity Team. If you are looking for
a way to contribute more to GWAMIT in a low-key and flexible way, this is a
great opportunity! Post on our blog or social media sites once per week.
Available positions include:

   - Textual Social Media Chair
   - Photo Social Media Chair
   - Feminist/Activism Blogger
   - Resource Highlights Blogger
   - STEM News/Professional Development Blogger

*
*

*
*

***********MIT***********
*
*
*4. [ODGE] Apply to be a Graduate Community Fellow (Application Deadlines
Vary)*
*When: *Application Deadlines Vary
*Where: *http://odge.mit.edu/community/gcf/
*Questions:* Heather Konar <konar at mit.edu>

Help build the graduate community by serving as a Graduate Community Fellow
in the areas of Graduate Orientation or Graduate School Clinics!  Graduate
Orientation Fellow serves from June 15 to October 15, while Graduate School
Clinic Fellow serves July 1 through May 31, 2013.  Fellows are paid
$600/month for 10 hours of work/week.

*5. [GWG] Space Available in the Graduate Women's Reading Group (Meets
Monthly)*
*Contact:* Amanda Zangari <azangari at mit.edu>

There are a few spaces available in the Graduate Women's Reading Group.  We
meet once per month on (usually a Monday at 6 pm) in the Cheney Room and
discuss a different book.  Recent books have included The Selfish Gene by
Richard Dawkins, A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan and the
Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht.  Membership is limited, but is open to all
graduate women.  Contact Amanda Zangari for more information if interested.

***********Outside MIT***********

*
*
*6. [Harvard] The Leap from Academia to Industry (Thu. Jun. 7, 2-4pm)*
*When:* Thursday, June 7, 2-4pm
*Where: *Biolabs Room 1080, 16 Divinity Ave
*Register:* https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Leap_Academia2Industry<http://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surveymonkey.com%2Fs%2FLeap_Academia2Industry&usd=2&usg=AFQjCNFtPIcurooqWFVDMt8XZvA7ifFheg>

Nick Zweig, Associate Director at StratAcuity, will give a presentation
about applying to jobs in the biotech, pharmaceuticals and diagnostics
industries. Mr. Zweig will discuss resume writing, interviewing and
networking. A question and answer session will follow the presentation.

Light refreshments will be provided.
*
*
*
*
*7. Women in Advanced Computing Summit (Tues. Jun. 12)*
*When:* June 12
*Where:* Sheraton Boston Hotel, 39 Dalton St, Boston
*Information: *https://www.usenix.org/conference/wiac12

Attendees will spend the day brainstorming ways to support women already in
the computing profession, enticing new ones into the workforce, and
analyzing success stories.

The Summit includes:

   - Invited speakers: Leslie Lambert, Juniper; Emily Gladstone Cole, Cisco
   Systems, Inc; Lisa Martinez, IBM; and Sabrina Farmer, Google Inc.
   - Panel: "Strategies for a Successful Career in Computing"
   - Workshop to develop concrete intents to change the shape of computing
   - https://www.usenix.org/conference/wiac12/tech-schedule/workshop-program

Plus, don't miss the opportunity to mingle with colleagues and leading
experts in the combined Birds-of-a-Feather sessions (BoFs) and at the other
evening social events, vendor BoFs, and receptions.

Because WiAC '12 is part of the USENIX Federated Conferences Week you can
create your own conference experience. Your daily registration gets you
into all the events happening that day: talks, workshops--you name it.
Plus, registration packages offer expanded discounts: the more days you
attend, the more you save! https://www.usenix.org/conference/fcw12
*
*
*
*
*8. [MASS-AWIS] Finding the Joy: How to Choose Your Next Lab or Workplace
(Mon. Jun. 25, 6-9pm)*
*When:* Monday, June 25, 6-9pm
*Where:* Broad Auditorium, 7 Cambridge Center, Cambridge
*Register:* https://www.acteva.com/go/mass-awis

This presentation will give you practical tips for what to look for and how
to find it when choosing a new lab for your research or when
considering culture of a company that wants to hire you. It is worth a
little pre‐work to make sure your next place of work will be a good fit and
get you close to where you want to go in the future. A must hear for all
young scientists.

Speaker: Dr. Kamens obtained her BA in Biology from the University of
Pennsylvania and her Ph.D. in Genetics from Harvard University. She has
worked for 20 years in both pharma and biotech drug discovery settings with
oligonucleotide, small molecule, and biologic therapeutics. She is
currently the Executive Director of Addgene, the non‐profit plasmid
repository. Dr. Kamens was the founding president of the Massachusetts AWIS
chapter, was instrumental in starting the MASS AWIS Mentoring Circle program
and currently serves a Director at Large for the HBA (Healthcare Business
Women’s Association).
*
*
*
*
*9. [Harvard] Academic Job Search Series: Going on the Academic Job Market
(Thu. Jun. 28, 10-11:30am)*
*When:* Thursday, June 28, 10-11:30am
*Where:* Room 1080, Biological Laboratories Building
*Register:* https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Academic_Job_Market

Presented by Laura Stark Malisheski, Ph.D., FAS Office of Career Services***
*

If you are going on the academic job market this fall, you know that there
is a lot more to the process than writing a CV and cover letter. In this
workshop, we will discuss the variety of documents you will need for your
application packet, and we’ll discuss strategies for an effective academic
job search.
*
*
*
*
*10. [MASS-AWIS] Recruiting Mentees for the 2012-2013 Mentoring Circle
Program (Applications due Jun. 30)
When:* Applications due June 30
*Apply:* https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Mentee2012-2013

   - Need career advice?
   - Need help with at-work conflict?
   - Need tips on how to balance work and family?
   - Then get advice from experienced women in science!!
   - Sign up now to become a mentee!

What is an AWIS Mentoring Circle?
A Mentoring Circle consists of 3-5 women with a scientific background who
are committed to meeting monthly to support one another with advice,
encouragement, and information. Each circle will be coordinated and aided
by at least one experienced mentor and one connector.

Who will be in my circle?
The MASS-AWIS mentoring committee will review submitted surveys and match
you with a circle based on interest, career goals, geography, and other
factors.

What will we talk about? Are we just going to sit around and complain?
The mentoring circle is a mechanism for sharing frustrations with peers but
the focus is on career growth and problem solving in a supportive
environment. The group will decide how it wants to handle the schedule, but
MASS-AWIS will provide you with a sourcebook of ideas and articles to help
start conversation. All participants should be willing to both give and get
professional and personal support from other talented women in the
scientific community. Mentors will help guide and promote productive
discussions in the circle.

*11. Science Club for Girls Summer Science Week (Tues. Jul. 17-Fri. Jul.
20, 8:30am-5:30pm daily)*
*When:* July 17-July 20, 8:30am-5:30pm daily
*Where:* Lasell College, 1844 Commonwealth Avenue, Newton
*Volunteer:*
http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e5tcs9rih0y5ot7u/a01ojh27nnpla/greeting

Eager to give back this summer? Want to help teach STEM curricula to girls?
 Volunteer with Science Club for Girls because *Summer Science Week 2012 is
ON!*

We are looking for volunteers to participate as Science Teachers, Field
Trip Chaperones or BOTH for our Summer Science Week. Volunteer for one,
two, three or all four days with us. We have positions in the morning
8:30am - 12:30pm as a Science Teacher and/or 12:30pm-5:30pm as a Field Trip
Chaperone to exciting locations all around eastern Massachusetts.
*
*
*
*
*12. Opportunities with the Scientista Foundation*
*Contact:* Julia & Christina at contact at scientistafoundation.com
*
*
The Scientista Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to
bridging the gaps between established professionals and female students
interested in pursuing careers in the sciences. Recognizing that direct
communication between women at these different stages in their careers is
difficult, we seek to serve as a comprehensive online resource to women in
college and graduate school. By offering mentorship, advice, resources, and
opportunities, we hope to help young women across the country realize their
career goals. Scientista aims to build the largest network of campus women
in science. Scientista serves to connect existing communities of women in
science at campuses across the nation, giving such important organizations
more visibility and resources, and building a strong, cohesive network of
women in science that can act as one voice. Since it's founding, the
Scientista Foundation has gained *16* campus organizations from across
*11* campuses
in *three *US regions.  Opportunities include:

*Website Make-over:*
We are looking for someone who is fluent in html/css/java script who can
help create a more polished look for our website. The project involves
front-end development of the homepage design and regional/campus pages,
building a standardized article layout, and adding some javascript elements
to make our page look more tech savvy and sleek. This position is ideal for
someone looking for a short-term, fun project that will help brand the
future of women in STEM!

Time commitment: Very flexible, and depends on what we decide to
change/add, but an estimate of ~10 hrs over the course of a month or so.
(Open to any gender/background/age!)

*Long term:*
We are seeking a webmanager/CTO to join the Scientista team! CTO will work
closely with the co-founders to build a fresh, innovative website that will
use the web and media in new ways to empower student women in STEM.

Roles include:

   - Moving our website over to a different CMS/ adding a login feature, etc
   - Working closely with the co-founders on product development/ creative
   directions
   - Building features and tools that will facilitate online
   interactions/networking and easily connect our scientistas to online
   resources.
   - CTO will also work with the editorial team to publish articles and the
   graphic design team to keep our website looking sleek and visually
   appealing.

We're looking for someone who is creative, motivated and entrepreneurial in
spirit, who is passionate about female empowerment in the science. We're
also looking for someone who is a good "fit" with our core team :) (can be
male or female!). If you're interested, send us an email and we'll give you
more information!
*
*
*
*
*13. Participate in Research on Engineering Ph.D. Education (Sign up now!)*
*When:* Interviews from May - August
*Questions:* ann.masterman at bc.edu
*Sign up: *https://bclynch.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_afL7oVsbvM6hse8

I am conducting a study as part of my dissertation research that compares
and contrasts the doctoral experiences and degree progress for women in
Engineering with those of women in Education, and I am writing to ask for
your participation as a female doctoral student pursuing an Engineering
doctoral degree at MIT. I am looking for women doctoral students enrolled
full-time in their second, third, fourth, or fifth year or beyond of
doctoral study in the School of Engineering at MIT. The nature of your
participation in this study would require 3 1-hour individual interviews
with me, and a 1-hour focus group with other Engineering women at MIT
facilitated by me.

Women who participate in my research study will be compensated *$75 in* *Gift
Cards *for the interviews *and a free lunch or dinner* while participating
in the focus group. The interviews and focus group are scheduled to take
place between May and August 2012 at MIT. With the exception of the first
interview which must be in-person, these interviews can be conducted using
video-conferencing (e.g. Skype) if you will not be on-campus at MIT during
these months.

Because women are underrepresented as doctoral students in male-dominated
fields such as Engineering, I am interested in learning more about your
unique doctoral student experiences as a woman studying Engineering, as
well as the supports and barriers you experience as you continue to pursue
your doctoral degree.

If you are interested in participating in this important project, please
click the link above to fill out a 6-question participant eligibility form.
Once you submit the form, I will be in touch with you shortly to provide
you with additional information about your participation in the study.

- Ann K. Masterman; Ph.D Candidate, Higher Education; Boston College Lynch
School of Education

******************
*
*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
*Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit