[GWAMIT] Announcements 9/26/11

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Sep 26 08:19:29 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Learn more about how to get involved in GWAMIT by coming to our General
Board Meeting and Open House tonight, Monday, September 26. Details below.

Have a great week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
========*

*GWAMIT:*
1. GWAMIT General Body Meeting and Open House (Mon, Sept 26, 6-7p)
 2.Transition from graduate school to the real world - Panel Discussion with
Xerox (Wed. Oct 5, 7-8p)

*MIT: *
3. Join MIT Women's Initiative (Application Deadline Oct 16)
4. [SWE] Become a Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Mentor
5. [SWE] Be a Web Design Competition Mentor (Deadline Sept 27)
6. [SWE] Girl Scout Outreach (Sat. Oct 1, 8a-1p)
7. Hacking Medicine - Come Make Sh!t Happen Series: Healthcare (Oct 22-23)
8. MIT and SLB Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships (Deadline Nov
30)
9. Study on Service Utilization Among Survivors at MIT

*Outside MIT:*

10. [HGWISE] Cambridge Coffee Catchup (Thurs, Sept 29, 4-5p)
11. Longwood HGWISE Happy Hour (Thurs, Oct 6, 5-6p)
12. [HGWISE] Outing to the Arnold Arboretum and Hot Chocolate (Sat, Oct 8)
13. Union of Concerned Scientists Trivia Night (Mon, Sept 26, 6-8p)
14. [IGNITE]: Life Science Technologies at the Convergence of Science and
Engineering (Tues, Sept 27, 5:30-9p)
15. Science Shaping Our World: Translation of Innovation from Academia to
Industry (Thurs, Oct 13, 5:30-9p)
16. Feminist Book Camp (Jan 4-11)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT*********

*1. GWAMIT General Body Meeting and Open House (Mon, Sept 26, 6-7p)
****When:* Monday, September 26, 6-7pm
*RSVP:*
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE93U2lLQXhPclVKM3AweXBHSF8zUmc6MQ
*Contact* gwamit-exec at mit.edu with any questions.

Did you enjoy the GWAMIT Empowerment Conference and Welcome lunch? Would you
like to help us plan future events?  Become more involved with GWAMIT now!
Learn more about how to get involved in GWAMIT by coming to our General
Board Meeting and Open House on Monday, September 26.

The GWAMIT General Board needs motivated women who want to help us plan
conferences, put together collaborative events, advocate for women on
campus, advertise our programs, and so much more! We have positions
available at all levels of our organization!

We hope to see you there! -GWAMIT Exec
*

2.Transition from graduate school to the real world - Panel Discussion with
Xerox (Wed. Oct 5, 7-8p)*
*When*: Wednesday, Oct 5th, 7- 8p
*Where*: 4-159
*RSVP:* http://bit.ly/o6Gch3 Dinner will be provided.

Thinking about going to industry after graduate school? What are the pros
and cons? What you should prepare before applying? What is the first year on
the job like? The recruiting team from Xerox will share their thoughts of
these questions during this panel discussion to help you make a smooth
transition from graduate school to real job!

Speakers:
Dr. Meera Sampath is Director of the Xerox Research Centre India.  In this
role, she is responsible for overseeing and scaling up the centre,
developing and executing its research agenda, and nurturing Open Innovation
partnerships in India.

Dr. Marina Tharayil is a Research Scientist in the Xerox Innovation Group.
 Currently, she is leading a competency development effort to serve ACS
services and solutions.

Norm Zeck is the Research Program Manager at the Xerox Research Center
Webster.  Current responsibilities include research program manager for
Government Solutions Sector and Transportation Solutions Group.

Please RSVP with the questions you want to ask to: http://bit.ly/o6Gch3

***********MIT***********

*3. Join MIT Women's Initiative (Application Deadline Oct 16)*
*More info*: http://mit.edu/wi/presenters/
*Deadline: *11:59 pm Sunday, October 16, 2011*
*
Make a Difference and go on a free trip during IAP! Join the MIT Women's
Intitiative. *
*
The MIT Women's Initiative is a group that sends pairs of female engineers,
both graduate and undergraduate (sophomores and older), from MIT to middle
and high schools around the country for a week during IAP.  They give
presentations about opportunities in engineering, conduct hands-on
activities, and encourage high school girls to remain interested in math and
science. Previous presenters have been to Washington, Hawaii, Miami, Alaska,
and San Francisco, to name a few.

For more information and to APPLY, please visit:
http://mit.edu/wi/presenters/. Application deadline is 11:59 pm Sunday,
October 16, 2011*

4. [SWE] Become a Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Mentor  * *
More info: *http://swe.mit.edu/wise/
*Contact:* Diane and Marianna via email at swewise at mit.edu

Want to become more involved in SWE? Like Science??  Like Volunteering??
BECOME A WiSE MENTOR

You can * Inspire high school girls * Meet MIT professors * Tour really cool
MIT labs * Learn to be a leader * Eat free food

Learn more and sign up online!!! http://swe.mit.edu/wise/

Mentor high school girls through Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE)
(also feel free to contact Diane and Marianna via email at swewise at mit.edu)

*5. [SWE] Be a Web Design Competition Mentor (Deadline Tues, Sept 27)*
*Application Deadline: *Tuesday, September 27
*Program Dates and Times*:  2-5pm Saturday, October 1st; Every Sunday,
October 9th - November 13th
*Apply:* bit.ly/webcompetition
*More Info:* http://swe.mit.edu/middleschool/webdesign.php
*Contact: *Email Sarah and Yi at mitswe.middleschool at gmail.com with any
questions or for more information!

Want to be more involved in SWE? Have some basic web design experience, or
interested in learning? Want to get more girls interested in STEM fields?
Then be a mentor for: SWE’s Web Design Competition  A brand new event hosted
this Fall 2011.

Students are needed to mentor middle school girls in their creation of
simple web sites and guide them in researching a STEM topic to showcase on
their sites. Awesome cash prizes will be awarded to students and mentors!

*6. [SWE] Girl Scout Outreach (Sat. Oct 1, 8a-1p)*
*When:* Saturday, October 1, 8am-1pm
*Where:* Lobdell (W20-208),
*to Volunteer: *mitsweoutreach at gmail.com

200 Girl Scouts are coming to MIT to learn about science through hands-on
experimentation...come be a part of the fun!
To be a volunteer for this event, please e-mail: mitsweoutreach at gmail.com

*7. **Hacking Medicine - Come Make Sh!t Happen Series: Healthcare (Oct
22-23)
When: *October 22nd and 23rd
*Where:* the Media Lab at MIT
*Apply:* http://bit.ly/nXIF3P
*Info:* http://hackingmedicine.mit.edu/

We are proud to announce Hacking Medicine, the first event of its kind.
Engineers, scientists, physicians, and entrepreneurs, in one location,
creating disruptive healthcare solutions today. If you want to radically
change healthcare, then apply now: http://bit.ly/nXIF3P.  Bring your skills,
your ideas, or both.  We're selecting 100 people just like you. Be part of
the inaugural conference. Leave with a team and a hack on its first steps
towards becoming a company and disrupting healthcare.

For more information or to apply to be one of the 100:
http://hackingmedicine.mit.edu/  Hacking Medicine takes place October 22nd
and 23rd at the Media Lab at MIT.  If you are selected we will send you more
detailed logistics.

Healthcare needs you, come be part of the solution.
-The Hacking Medicine Team

*8. MIT and SLB Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships (Deadline Nov
30)
Contact:* Kate Reynolds (katelr at mit.edu)
*More info:* http://www.facultyforthefuture.net/
*Deadline: *November 30, 2011

Schlumberger and the Schlumberger Foundation have announced the 2012 call
for "Faculty for the Future" Fellowships. This program provides fellowship
support for women from developing countries who are in PhD or postdoctoral
programs in the sciences and engineering.

Please distribute this RFP broadly so that all women graduate or
postdoctoral students at MIT who qualify will apply.

The deadline for submissions is November 30, 2011 and there is no internal
competition for this funding. More details can be found at the Schlumberger
Foundation web site: http://www.facultyforthefuture.net/
<http://www.facultyforthefuture.net/>Please direct any questions to me or
Kate Reynolds (katelr at mit.edu) in the Office of Foundation Relations.

*9. Study on Service Utilization Among Survivors at MIT
*Hello friends of Violence Prevention & Response,

I am emailing to let you all know about a study I am leading that looks at
the service utilization pathways survivors of sexual violence, relationship
abuse, stalking or harassment take following an incident at the institution.
Specifically, I'm interviewing survivors about what services they have used
on and off campus, their experiences with those services, recommendations
for improvement, and on what it's like to be a survivor of violence or abuse
at MIT. The information obtained through the study will be used to improve
services at MIT, and measures have been built into the study design to
ensure participants' confidentiality.

It would be greatly, greatly appreciated if you could pass this information
on to anyone you think might be interested in the study, or any students or
student groups you may have access to.

Please do not hesitate to email me with questions or for more information.

Thank you for your continued support of VPR and the work that we do.

Sincerely, Kelley M. Adams adam at med.mit.edu

***********Outside MIT***********
*
*
*10. [HGWISE] Cambridge Coffee Catchup (Thurs, Sept 29, 4-5p)*
*When:* Thu, Sep 29, 4 pm
*Where: *Buckminster's Cafe, LISE; Oxford Street, Cambridge

If you're in need of some caffeine, company and conversation take a break
and drop by at 4. Bring your own coffee/tea or grab one from LISE.
*

11. Longwood HGWISE Happy Hour (Thurs, Oct 6, 5-6p)*
*When: *Thu, Oct 6, 5 - 6 pm
*Where:* JBM Lounge, Vanderbilt Hall, Longwood Campus

Take a break from your work and join HGWISE a Longwood happy hour in the JBM
Lounge at Vanderbilt Hall.  Join us for beer, soft drinks, snacks, and good
company!  Please forward this invite to any female undergrads and postdocs
you know who might be interested incoming.

*12. [HGWISE] Outing to the Arnold Arboretum and Hot Chocolate (Sat, Oct 8)*
*When:* Sat, Oct 8, 9am
*Where: *Meet in front of Greenhouse Cafe at the Science Center or meet us
at the Arboretum in front of the Hunnewell Building
*RSVP: *
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG5POE1UTW9vbGdaZi15NEtSZjkwRlE6MQ

Join HGWISE for a fun fall outing to the Arnold Arboretum (
http://arboretum.harvard.edu/). Fall is one of the most beautiful times of
the year to visit the Arboretum and October 8 is near the peak of the Fall
foliage in Boston. We will start off the day with a free guided tour. Then
the afternoon is yours to spend either in the grounds of the Arboretum or
taking a short walk to Jamaica Plain for lunch. Friends and family welcome!

To get there: Meet us in front of Greenhouse Cafe in the Science Center for
hot chocolate!  We will then take the No 1 bus and then the Orange line to
get there. Alternatively you can meet us at the Arboretum in front of the
Hunnewell Building. Please let us know if you're interested in joining us:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG5POE1UTW9vbGdaZi15NEtSZjkwRlE6MQ

*13. Union of Concerned Scientists Trivia Night (Mon, Sept 26, 6-8p)*
*When:* Mon, Sep 26, 6 -8 pm
*Where*: Boston Beer Works, 61 Brookline Ave. Boston, MA (between Kenmore
Square and Fenway)
*RSVP *http://ucsusa.org/trivianight

Do you like food, drinks, and science trivia? If so, we hope you will join
us for a trivia night and find out how you can get more involved in science
policy issues. Meet Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) staff, mingle with
fellow grad students and post-docs, and test your science policy knowledge.

On Monday, September 26 from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., UCS is providing free food, a
complimentary drink, and fun trivia questions as part of: Who Wants to Be a
106-aire? A science based trivia night that is EXPONENTIALLY better than all
the rest

Space is limited. For more information and to RSVP visit
http://ucsusa.org/trivianight  We hope to see you there!

*14. [IGNITE]: Life Science Technologies at the Convergence of Science and
Engineering (Tues, Sept 27, 5:30-9p)*
*When:* Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 5:30 - 9:00 pm
*Where:* 100 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02140
*Registration:* Early Bird Registration - $45.00 through September 5, 2011
http://www.bvsweb.com/php/register.php?ShNbr=2182&src=exhibitor.php

Keynote Speaker: Dr. Susan Windham-Bannister, President and CEO,
Massachusetts Life Sciences Center

The Life Science Innovation & Technology Forum (IGNITE) is an ongoing
presentation and networking series that highlights cutting edge life science
centered innovation and technologies. IGNITE’s mission is to provide a
spotlight where young companies and entrepreneurs can present their
technologies to a multidisciplinary and diverse audience. Further, we seek
to create an environment that fosters productive, high-impact, networking
opportunities for presenters and attendees.

Please join us for an exciting evening of cutting edge science and
technology as well as a multidisciplinary networking forum. Open networking
and discussion with the speakers will be ongoing throughout the evening.
Food and refreshments will be provided and a cash bar will be available.
IGNITE is brought to you by Biotech Vendor Services, Inc. and Munevar &
Associates, Inc., with space kindly provided by Alexandria Real Estate
Equities, Inc.
 *

15. Science Shaping Our World: Translation of Innovation from Academia to
Industry (Thurs, Oct 13, 5:30-9p)*
*When:* Thursday, October 13, 2011; 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM
*Where*: TMEC Walter Amphitheater, Harvard Medical School, 260 Longwood Ave,
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
*Register at: *http://showoctober2011.eventbrite.com/

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights cutting edge translational life science research and
development. Our mission is to draw together a multidisciplinary audience
spanning academia and industry where they can gain exposure and insight into
the life science advancements changing our world.

October's special SHOW event highlights the translation of innovation from
academia to industry. Our outstanding speaker panel will be drawn from the
creation of innovation to intellectual property and licensing to the
translation, development, and ultimate commercialization of novel
technologies.

Further, our panel will speak to the importance of diversity within this
pathway as well as present real world examples where these steps have led to
vibrant new life science start-up companies.

*16. Feminist Book Camp (Jan 4-11)*
*When:* January 4-11, 2012
*Where:* New York City
*Info:* http://www.soapboxinc.com/feminist-boot-camps-landing/

*Feminist Boot Camp* is an intensive week-long program designed for
university students and anyone interested in meeting with progressive
leaders and national feminist organizations. FBC emphasizes career
development and will include opportunities to network with people in the
forefront of feminist activism**.

How Much: $700 Program Cost + $300 Housing (Hostel) = $1000 plus spending
money.**

Who will be there? BUST Magazine, International Women's Health Coalition,
Rabbis for Human Rights, Ms. Foundation, and
more*<http://www.soapboxinc.com/feminist-winter-term/>
*

*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:*
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit