[GWAMIT] Announcements (10/31/11)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:42:15 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Did you RSVP for the Fall Leadership Conference, yet? Details below and
available at leadership.gwamit.org

Happy Halloween! Enjoy the week.

*The GWAMIT Board
*Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
========*

*GWAMIT:
*1. GWAMIT Fall Leadership Conference (Nov 7-10)*
*    - Opening Keynote - "Unlock Your Leadership Potential" (Mon. Nov 7,
5-6p)
    - How to Give a Scientific Talk (Mon. Nov 7, 10-11a)
    - Entrepreneurship Panel (Tues. Nov 8, 4:30-6p)
    - Time and Stress Management Workshop (Wed. Nov 9, 10-11:30a)
    - Networking Workshop (Wed. Nov 9, 5-6p)
    - Networking Reception (Wed. Nov 9, 6-7p)
    - Closing Keynote Address: "From Unlocked to Unleashed: Leadership in
Your Life" (Thurs. Nov 10, 10-11a)

2. Grad-undergrad Women's Mentoring Forum (Mon. Nov 14, 7-8:30p)

*MIT:*
3. GWG Lunch (Thurs. Nov. 3, 12-1p)
4. AMITA Entrepreneurship in Clean Tech (Tues, Nov 15, 6:30-9p)

*Outside MIT:
*5. HGWISE Using Your Voice Workshop (Wed, Nov 2, 2-4p)
6. [Tufts WiCS] Workshop for Women on Conferences, Networking, and
Internship Recruitment (Fri. Nov 4, 10:30a-12p)
7. [BU] Mirages of Equality: The Changing Status of Women in Science -
Nancy Hopkins (Tue. Nov 8, 3p)
*
*To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT********

1. GWAMIT 2011 Fall Leadership Conference (Nov 7-10)*

*When:* November 7-10, 2011
*Where:* MIT campus

*More info: *leadership.gwamit.org
*RSVP:* http://bit.ly/gwamitrsvp
*Contact*: gwamit-leadership at mit.edu

*
*

**If you would be able to help setup, cleanup or take photographs at an
event, please email gwamit-leadership at mit.edu**

*
*

* **Event Details: *

*Opening Keynote - "Unlock Your Leadership Potential"
*Christine Furstoss will offer her insight about leadership potential and
how to unlock it.
*When:* Monday, November 7th, 5-6 pm (with reception to follow)
*Where*: MIT, 32-155 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>

*How to Give a Scientific Talk **RSVP Required**
*Learn how to create a comprehensive presentation and give a professional
level talk.
*When:* Monday, November 7th, 10-11 am (breakfast served at 9:30 am)
*Where*: MIT, 68-181 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=68>

*Entrepreneurship Panel
*Do you want to start your own business or lab? Learn what it takes to make
it happen!
*When*: Tuesday, November 8th, 4:30-6 pm (with reception to follow)
*Where*: Whitehead Institute, Ground Floor
Auditorium<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=L13>

*Time and Stress Management Workshop ** RSVP Required**
*Explore strategies for stress resilience and time management. Hands-on
self-assessments followed by helpful instruction.
*When*: Wednesday, November 9th, 10-11:30 am (breakfast served at 9:30)
*Where*: MIT, 32D-463 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>

*Networking Workshop ** RSVP Required**
*Gain skills in networking such as creating a good first impression,
promoting your ideas effectively and more.
*When*: Wednesday, November 9th, 5-6 pm (with reception to follow)
*Where*: MIT, 32D-463 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>

*Networking Reception
*Practice your networking skills in this reception with invited industry
and academic professionals.
*When*: Wednesday, November 9th, 6-7 pm
*Where*: MIT, Stata R&D Dining Area (4th floor)<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>

*Closing Keynote Address: "From Unlocked to Unleashed: Leadership in Your
Life"
*You know the "keys to success", so now what? Lila Ibrahim will provide
insight into practical strategies to integrate leadership into your daily
life.
*When*: Thursday, November 10th, 10-11 am (breakfast served at 9:30 am)
*Where*: Whitehead Institute, Ground Floor Auditorium
<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=L13>

For More Information: leadership.gwamit.org and RSVP at:
http://bit.ly/gwamitrsvp <http://bit.ly/rpWixy>

Events Sponsored by: GWAMIT, GSC, ODGE GSLG, MIT Division of Student Life,
MIT School of Science, MIT School of Engineering, Lemelson-MIT, and GE.

*

2. Grad-undergrad Women's Mentoring Forum (Mon. Nov 14, 7-8:30p)*
*When*: Mon, Nov. 14, 7-8:30pm
*Where:* Cheney Room, 3-310
*Who:* Graduate women interested in providing informal, one-time mentoring
to undergraduate women
*RSVP:* By Nov 7th to Michelle Szucs (mszucs at mit.edu) with information below

Graduate women - please join us for our first grad-undergrad women's
mentoring forum!  Graduate women are needed to share their stories and path
with undergraduates in an informal, small group setting.  Each group will
have a different central discussion topic, chosen from:
-Relationships
-Academics/Careers
-Women's Issues

Groups will be assigned based on preference.  We hope for this forum to
become a recurring event that provides a relaxed atmosphere for the
discussion of what it means to be a woman at MIT and in today's world at
large. Light refreshments will be provided.

RSVP:  Please email Michelle Szucs (mszucs at mit.edu) with your name, ranking
of the three discussion topics, and any particular questions you would like
to discuss by November 7 if you would like to participate.

***********MIT**********
*
*3. GWG Lunch (Thurs. Nov. 3, 12-1p)*
*When: *Thursday, Nov. 3, noon*
Where: *Cheney Room 3-310
*Contact:* Alicia Erwin, aeerwin at mit.edu

We are excited to restart the GWG lunches for the year and we invite you
all to join us on Thursday, November 3rd at noon in the Margaret Cheney
Room (3-310).  We will provide you with some yummy food, the opportunity to
connect with each other, and a quick discussion about resources around
mediation, conflict resolution, communication, etc from the MIT Ombuds
Office.

*4. [AMITA] Entrepreneurship in Clean Tech (Tues, Nov 15, 6:30-9p)*
*When*: *Tues, Nov 15, 6:30-7p Reception; 7-9p Event*
*Where*:E51-315
*Fee: *AMITA members & MIT10: $15; MIT non-member alumni : $18; Students:
$10
*RSVP: *
http://alumweb.mit.edu/groups/amita/BrowseWeb.do?webSiteId=SI000477&webPageId=P008&eventId=42364

Please join us Tuesday evening, November 15th, for an exciting panel
discussion on Entrepreneurship in Clean Tech.  Come hear successful women
entrepreneurs and venture capitalists talk about their experiences in the
clean tech startup space. The discussion will touch upon industry-specific
issues such as funding, market research, technology development, and
regulatory constraints.

Panelists include: Marcie Black '94, MNG '95, PhD'03 - CTO & Co-founder at
BandGap Engineering; Vanessa Green MNG '08, MBA '11 - CEO at OnChipPower;
Jiong Ma PhD - Partner at Braemar Energy; Mina Hsiang '03, MNG '05, MBA -
Senior Associate at General Catalyst Partners (Moderator)

***********Outside MIT***********
*
5. HGWISE Using Your Voice Workshop (Wed, Nov 2, 2-4p)*
*When: *Wed, Nov 2, 2 – 4 pm
*Where:* Harvard, Dudley House Common Room
*Presented by: *Nancy Houfek, Head of Voice and Speech, American Repertory
Theater/Institute for Advanced Theater Training
*The workshop is limited to 30 participants so register soon*:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHoxaDgweTM1bWFTS1lKczh6WVB6TUE6MQ

Whether speaking in public, leading a group, or managing a meeting, we
often focus on the content of our subject matter and leave the quality of
our speaking to chance. We might often wonder, “Why didn’t they get it? Why
am I not being heard? Am I doing everything I can to get this across?” This
workshop will give you some specific vocal skills that actors practice to
help you be more effective as a public speaker. The physical confidence
that comes with breathing fully, the vocal presence that is a result of
resonance and volume, the clear speech that arises from active
articulation, and the flexible expression that emerges when we put all the
parts together are easy to learn. Just as actors develop their voices to be
heard and understood on the stage, so can we in order to improve our
ability to convey complex and important concepts to our listeners in both
our professional and our daily lives.

*6. [Tufts WiCS] Workshop for Women on Conferences, Networking, and
Internship Recruitment (Fri. Nov 4, 10:30a-12p)
When:* Friday, November 4 from 10:30am to 12:00pm
*Where*: MSR New England (1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge)
*RSVP*: http://www.doodle.com/49vpmciq7md7vv8f Space is limited.
*More Info:* please contact Megan Strait at: megan.strait at tufts.edu.

Tufts Women in Computer Science WiCS will be sponsoring a workshop on
Friday, November 4 from 10:30am to 12:00pm hosted by MSR New England (1
Memorial Drive, Cambridge). MSR is located near Kendall Square in Cambridge
(public transportation from Tufts). If interested, please see the details
below and rsvp as space is limited.

Who/What/Wear?: Microsoft Research New England cordially invites the Boston
and Cambridge area women in computing to join us for an informal morning
workshop on the three W's: who, what, and wear.

The event aims to help undergraduate and graduate women in computing learn
about the practices of who to approach,what to say, and what to wear. It is
particularly aimed at students preparing for their first professional
event, such as a conference or career fair. Students will have the
opportunity to meet with recruiters and ask about the conventions and
expectations on resumes and personal presentation in a more informal
setting.

Female researchers in computer science have also been invited to meet with
students on academic perspectives. We encourage students attending the
Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing to attend the workshop to
connect with area students prior to departure.

The events will be hosted by Microsoft Research New England and Tufts
University on: Friday November 4, from 10:30AM to 12:00PM at Microsoft
Research in Kendall Square. Space is limited, so please RSVP at:
http://www.doodle.com/49vpmciq7md7vv8f For more information about this
event, please contact Megan Strait at: megan.strait at tufts.edu.

*7. [BU] Mirages of Equality: The Changing Status of Women in Science -
Nancy Hopkins (Tue. Nov 8, 3p)
When:* Tue, Nov 8, 3pm
*Where:* Boston University, Metcalf Trustees Ballroom, One Silber Way, 9th
floor
*More Info:* email wgs at bu.edu for more information

Nancy Hopkins, the Amgen, Inc. Professor of Biology at MIT works in the
Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research within the Biology
Department. She is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a fellow
of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a member of the Institute
of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences and has served on its
Council.

In addition to her scientific work, in 1995 she was appointed Chair of the
first Committee on Women Faculty in the School of Science at MIT. In 1999,
a summary of the findings of her committee was published in the MIT faculty
newsletter. This influential and widely read article came to be known as
the MIT Report on Women in Science. The MIT Report, endorsed by then-MIT
President Charles Vest and then-Dean of Science (now Chancellor at
Berkeley) Robert Birgeneau, is credited with launching a national
re-examination of equity for women scientists. This report also led 9
research universities, including MIT, to form an ongoing collaboration to
study and address issues of gender equity. The group, which came to be
known as "The MIT-9", includes Harvard, Stanford, California Institute of
Technology, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan,
Yale, and Berkeley. In 2000, Nancy Hopkins was appointed Co-Chair (with
Robert A. Brown, now President of BU) of the first Council on Faculty
Diversity at MIT.

Professor Hopkins will be introduced by Boston University President Robert
A. Brown. ThE is event is free and open to the public. A reception will
follow. Sponsored
by Boston University ‘s Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies Program and
the Office of the University Provost. Email wgs at bu.edu for more information.

****************
*
 *Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
*Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit