[GWAMIT] Announcements (10/10/11)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 10 12:01:44 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Happy Columbus Day! Enjoy the week.

*The GWAMIT Board
*Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
========
*
*GWAMIT:*
1. Get involved in GWAMIT - Fill out interest survey (ASAP as positions will
fill quickly!)

*MIT:*
2. Join MIT Women's Initiative (Application Deadline Oct 16)
3. Telling your story Workshop (Fri, Oct 21, 9a-2p)
4. MIT WGS Chicks Make Flicks film screening: No Way Out But One (Thurs, Oct
27, 7-9p)
5. Participate in a research study on the career development and
socialization of engineering Ph.D. students

*Outside MIT:*
6. [HGWISE] HGWISE Longwood Welcome Luncheon (Wed, Oct 12, 12-1p)
7. Science Shaping Our World: Translation of Innovation from Academia to
Industry (Thurs, Oct 13, 5:30-9p)

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT********
*
*1. Get involved in GWAMIT - Fill out interest survey
What: *Join GWAMIT committees and initiatives
*Where:* Fill out interest survey
here<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&pli=1&formkey=dHdpeDVpY1lhbXhIY3l3WnFJcllpb3c6MQ#gid=0>
*When:* ASAP as positions will fill quickly
*Contact: *gwamit-exec at mit.edu

We were pleased to welcome some 40 grad women to the GWAMIT Open House this
past week!  If you were unable to join us, it’s not too late to tell us
about your interests - through the survey
here.<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&pli=1&formkey=dHdpeDVpY1lhbXhIY3l3WnFJcllpb3c6MQ#gid=0>

We will be in touch soon to schedule a time for all interested to meet with
the appropriate leader(s) of the GWAMIT committees you identified in the
survey.   Positions will be filled during this first committee meeting.

***********MIT**********
*
*2. Join MIT Women's Initiative (Application Deadline Oct 16)
More info:* http://mit.edu/wi/presenters/
*Deadline: *11:59 pm Sunday, October 16, 2011

Make a Difference and go on a free trip during IAP! Join the MIT Women's
Intitiative.

The MIT Women's Initiative is a group that sends pairs of female engineers,
both graduate and undergraduate (sophomores and older), from MIT to middle
and high schools around the country for a week during IAP.  They give
presentations about opportunities in engineering, conduct hands-on
activities, and encourage high school girls to remain interested in math and
science. Previous presenters have been to Washington, Hawaii, Miami, Alaska,
and San Francisco, to name a few.

For more information and to APPLY, please visit:
http://mit.edu/wi/presenters/. Application deadline is 11:59 pm Sunday,
October 16, 2011

*
3. Telling your story Workshop (Fri, Oct 21, 9a-2p)*
*When*: Friday October 21, 9am-2pm
*Where*: MIT Walker Memorial Hall
*More info and Sign up:*http://www.complex-life.org/TYS
*Contact: *Phoebe Cohen at pcohen at mit.edu

Always wanted to do more outreach but haven't known how? Already doing
outreach work but feel you aren't being as effective as you would like to
be? Then join us for the Telling Your Story workshop.

The Telling Your Story program aims to form collaborations between research
scientists and K-12 teachers. The program brings together scientists and
K-12 educators in a workshop that lets each group learn about, and from, the
other. Scientists are taught effective communication skills appropriate for
K-12 audiences, and work with teachers to develop ideas and formats for
classroom visits. The workshop helps to create personal connections that
foster lasting relationships. This is a great opportunity to learn skills
and make connections that will provide you with valuable 'broader impacts'
experience.

The program is open to scientists at all levels, from graduate students to
faculty to lab technicians. TYS is facilitated by Dr. Phoebe Cohen,
Education
and Outreach Lead for the MIT NASA Astrobiology Team, and Wendy
Derjue-Holzer, Director of Education at the Harvard Museum of Natural
History. The project is
funded by the Paleontological Society and the Cambridge Science Festival.
To learn more about the program and to sign up for the October 21st
workshop, please visit http://www.complex-life.org/TYS or email Phoebe Cohen
at pcohen at mit.edu

*4. MIT WGS Chicks Make Flicks film screening: No Way Out But One (Thurs,
Oct 27, 7-9p)
When:* Thursday - October 27th, 2011, 7PM
*Where:*  6 - 120

In 1994 Holly Collins became an international fugitive when she grabbed her
three children and went on the run. It all happened because a family court
had ignored Holly’s charges, the children’s pleas, Holly’s broken nose,
Zackary’s fractured skull, and other medical evidence of domestic violence
and had given full custody of Zackary and Jennifer to Holly's ex-husband.
Holly came to believe she and the children had No Way Out But One.

No Way Out But One tells the story of one woman and her family that is
emblematic of a larger heartbreaking national scandal. In Child and Family
Court systems across the country, those who abuse their children are often
awarded custody of them by the very courts charged with protecting them. It
is estimated that 58,000 children a year are ordered into unsupervised
contact with physically or sexually abusive parents following divorce in the
United States.

Q&A with director to follow. Free & open to the public

*5. Participate in a research study on the career development and
socialization of engineering Ph.D. students*

We invite you to participate in a research study on the career development
and socialization of engineering Ph.D. students.  In particular, we would
like to speak with Ph.D. students who are at least in their third year of
doctoral study at MIT. Participation entails a brief survey and a one-on-one
interview that will take approximately 1 to 1.5 hours and will explore your
experiences and perceptions as a doctoral student, with specific emphasis on
your career development and the ways in which social networks with a variety
of individuals have contributed to your career development. The project’s
findings will inform the development and strengthening of career services
for graduate students and contribute to the literature on career development
in doctoral education.

As a token of our appreciation, you will be provided with a $25 gift card
for your participation.

If you would like to be interviewed, the information you share will be kept
confidential and your name and other personally identifying information will
not be associated with your comments or perceptions. Also, please be assured
that participation in this study is completely voluntary and your decision
to participate or not participate will have no effect on your relationship
with MIT.  If you would like to participate in this research study, please
send an email to STEMcareer at mit.edu to schedule an appointment in October or
November.

This study has been reviewed by MIT COUHES and has received support from
MIT’s Office of the Dean of Graduate Education.

Thank you for your consideration, Carrie Sampson Moore, Deborah Liverman,
and Katalin Szelenyi - Researchers from MIT and UMass Boston

***********Outside MIT**********
*
*6. [HGWISE] HGWISE Longwood Welcome Luncheon (Wed, Oct 12, 12-1p)
When:* Wed, Oct 12, 12 - 1 pm
*Where:* JBM Lounge, Vanderbilt Hall, Longwood Campus

Join us for lunch and to discuss our plans for the upcoming year.  We will
talk about upcoming HGWISE events and seek your opinions about what you want
HGWISE to do for you.  This is a great opportunity to share your ideas and
needs with HGWISE.

*7. Science Shaping Our World: Translation of Innovation from Academia to
Industry (Thurs, Oct 13, 5:30-9p)
When:* Thursday, October 13, 2011; 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM
*Where:* TMEC Walter Amphitheater, Harvard Medical School, 260 Longwood Ave,
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
*Register at:* http://showoctober2011.eventbrite.com/

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights cutting edge translational life science research and
development. Our mission is to draw together a multidisciplinary audience
spanning academia and industry where they can gain exposure and insight into
the life science advancements changing our world.

October's special SHOW event highlights the translation of innovation from
academia to industry. Our outstanding speaker panel will be drawn from the
creation of innovation to intellectual property and licensing to the
translation, development, and ultimate commercialization of novel
technologies.

Further, our panel will speak to the importance of diversity within this
pathway as well as present real world examples where these steps have led to
vibrant new life science start-up companies.

****************
*
 *Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
*Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit