[GWAMIT] Announcements 10/3/11 - Fill out interest survey to get involved in GWAMIT

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Oct 3 10:55:51 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Couldn't make the Open House last week, but still want to get involved in
GWAMIT? Please fill out our interest survey here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&pli=1&formkey=dHdpeDV
pY1lhbXhIY3l3WnFJcllpb3c6MQ#gid=0> !

Have a great week!

The GWAMIT Board
Send your ideas to:  <mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu> gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to:  <mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu> gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http:// <http://gwamit.org/> gwamit.org

========
IN BRIEF
========

GWAMIT:
1. Get involved in GWAMIT - Fill out interest survey (ASAP as positions will
fill quickly!)
2. Panel on Grad School vs. Industry w/ SWE (Wed, Oct 5, 7p)
3. Transition from graduate school to the real world - Panel Discussion with
Xerox (CANCELLED)

MIT:
4. Cambridge City Council - University Relations Public Hearing on Graduate
Students and Researchers (Tues, Oct 4, 3p)
5. Path of Professorship Workshop (Apply by Wed, Oct 5)
6. Join MIT Women's Initiative (Application Deadline Oct 16)
7. Hacking Medicine - Come Make Sh!t Happen Series: Healthcare (Oct 22-23)
8. MIT WGS Chicks Make Flicks film screening: No Way Out But One (Thurs, Oct
27, 7-9p)
9. MIT and SLB Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships (Deadline Nov
30)
10. Join Tesla Motors at MIT (Wed, Oct 5, 5-7p)
11. Want to help design an interdisciplinary course using graphic novels to
teach about war?
12. Participate in a research study on the career development and
socialization of engineering Ph.D. students
13. Lecture with MIT Professor Esther Duflo (Mon, Oct 10, 6p)

Outside MIT:
14. Longwood HGWISE Happy Hour (Thurs, Oct 6, 5-6p)
15. [HGWISE] Outing to the Arnold Arboretum and Hot Chocolate (Sat, Oct 8)
16. [HGWISE] HGWISE Longwood Welcome Luncheon (Wed, Oct 12, 12-1p)
17. Science Shaping Our World: Translation of Innovation from Academia to
Industry (Thurs, Oct 13, 5:30-9p)
18. [WISE Words] Join WISE Words Magazine - writers, web, and business leads
needed

To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators

=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================

********GWAMIT********

1. Get involved in GWAMIT - Fill out interest survey
What: Join GWAMIT committees and initiatives

Where: Fill out interest survey here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&pli=1&formkey=dHdpeDV
pY1lhbXhIY3l3WnFJcllpb3c6MQ#gid=0>

When: ASAP as positions will fill quickly
Contact: gwamit-exec at mit.edu <mailto:spatocco at mit.edu>

We were pleased to welcome some 40 grad women to the GWAMIT Open House this
past week!  If you were unable to join us, it’s not too late to tell us
about your interests - through the survey here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&pli=1&formkey=dHdpeDV
pY1lhbXhIY3l3WnFJcllpb3c6MQ#gid=0> .

We will be in touch soon to schedule a time for all interested to meet with
the appropriate leader(s) of the GWAMIT committees you identified in the
survey.   Positions will be filled during this first committee meeting.

2. Panel on Grad School vs. Industry w/ SWE (Wed, Oct 5, 7p)
Who: undergrads thinking about next steps after graduation

What: panel of graduate women sharing their advice and experience in
industry and grad school

When: 7 PM, October 5th, 2011
Where: 5-231 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=5>
Contact: eflorine at mit.edu <mailto:spatocco at mit.edu>

Are you an undergraduate student thinking about what to do after graduation?
Do you have questions about what it's like to go into industry or grad
school?  Wondering how being a woman factors in?  Come to our panel
discussion this Wednesday to hear some perspectives!

Please help us spread the word to your UROPs and undergraduate women
friends.

Held in collaboration with SWE.

3. Transition from graduate school to the real world - Panel Discussion with
Xerox (CANCELLED)
We apologize that this event was cancelled.

**********MIT**********

4. Cambridge City Council - University Relations Public Hearing on Graduate
Students and Researchers (Tues, Oct 4, 3p)
When: 3 PM, October 4th, 2011
Where: City Hall, Sullivan Chamber
Join: http://signup.mit.edu/StudentHearing
Contact: spatocco at mit.edu

The City of Cambridge has recently embarked on an ambitious mission to
revitalize Kendall Square, Central Square, and everything in between. This
project includes everything from office space to green space, retail to
housing, and parking to transportation. Over the last three months, graduate
students and city officials have been in negotiations over what is clearly a
project which has direct and immediate impact upon all members of our
community. As a result of this work, the City Council has called a public
hearing of the University Relations Committee in order to solicit the
comments/concerns/ideas of the over 4,500 MIT graduate students/researchers
that live in Cambridge. This is a VERY important meeting as it is one of the
only venues in which students can publicly relate their thoughts and
concerns to the City of Cambridge and developers which are working on the
project.

Please do consider making some time to attend this public hearing
<http://signup.mit.edu/StudentHearing> . You need not prepare anything to
say, your presence alone will make a huge difference in how the city weighs
the importance of the graduate student constituency. Please, help us make
the point that graduate students/researchers are important factors in the
process of city-wide decision making.

5. Path of Professorship Workshop (Apply by Wed, Oct 5)
When: Applications due Wednesday October 5; Program runs October 28-29
More info: http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/
Application:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dEhfclpfYU9paEo3Tmh
ON1BQTHVnTFE6MQ

Are you considering a career in academia?  Are you going to be seeking a
position in the next couple of years?  Are you concerned about navigating
the application and tenure process?

The Office of the Dean of Graduate Education is pleased to announce the
opening of this year’s application to our Path of Professorship workshop.
This workshop is designed to provide graduate and post-doctoral women with
information about academic scientific careers and the application process.
Each year we are able to gather a wonderful group of female professors from
MIT and beyond to talk about their experiences in academia.  This year is no
different and we are expecting an exciting and informative weekend.

Path of Professorship will run from Friday, October 28th at 1pm through
Saturday, October 29th at 5pm and cover topics ranging from “What
Institution is Right for You?” to “The Tenure Process.” More information is
available at http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/

The application for Path of Professorship is now open and available at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dEhfclpfYU9paEo3Tmh
ON1BQTHVnTFE6MQ

The application will close on October 5th and selected applicants will be
notified shortly thereafter. We strongly encourage all women with an
interest in academia to apply.

Yours truly, Path-of-Professorship Team 2011 - This workshop is sponsored by
the MIT Office of the Dean for Graduate Education

6. Join MIT Women's Initiative (Application Deadline Oct 16)
More info: http://mit.edu/wi/presenters/
Deadline: 11:59 pm Sunday, October 16, 2011

Make a Difference and go on a free trip during IAP! Join the MIT Women's
Intitiative.

The MIT Women's Initiative is a group that sends pairs of female engineers,
both graduate and undergraduate (sophomores and older), from MIT to middle
and high schools around the country for a week during IAP.  They give
presentations about opportunities in engineering, conduct hands-on
activities, and encourage high school girls to remain interested in math and
science. Previous presenters have been to Washington, Hawaii, Miami, Alaska,
and San Francisco, to name a few.

For more information and to APPLY, please visit:
http://mit.edu/wi/presenters/. Application deadline is 11:59 pm Sunday,
October 16, 2011

7. Hacking Medicine - Come Make Sh!t Happen Series: Healthcare (Oct 22-23)
When: October 22nd and 23rd
Where: the Media Lab at MIT
Apply:  <http://bit.ly/nXIF3P> http://bit.ly/nXIF3P
Info:  <http://hackingmedicine.mit.edu/> http://hackingmedicine.mit.edu/

We are proud to announce Hacking Medicine, the first event of its kind.
Engineers, scientists, physicians, and entrepreneurs, in one location,
creating disruptive healthcare solutions today. If you want to radically
change healthcare, then apply now:  <http://bit.ly/nXIF3P>
http://bit.ly/nXIF3P.  Bring your skills, your ideas, or both.  We're
selecting 100 people just like you. Be part of the inaugural conference.
Leave with a team and a hack on its first steps towards becoming a company
and disrupting healthcare.

For more information or to apply to be one of the 100:
<http://hackingmedicine.mit.edu/> http://hackingmedicine.mit.edu/  Hacking
Medicine takes place October 22nd and 23rd at the Media Lab at MIT.  If you
are selected we will send you more detailed logistics.

Healthcare needs you, come be part of the solution.

-The Hacking Medicine Team

8. MIT WGS Chicks Make Flicks film screening: No Way Out But One (Thurs, Oct
27, 7-9p)
When: Thursday - October 27th, 2011, 7PM
Where:  6 - 120

In 1994 Holly Collins became an international fugitive when she grabbed her
three children and went on the run. It all happened because a family court
had ignored Holly’s charges, the children’s pleas, Holly’s broken nose,
Zackary’s fractured skull, and other medical evidence of domestic violence
and had given full custody of Zackary and Jennifer to Holly's ex-husband.
Holly came to believe she and the children had No Way Out But One.

No Way Out But One tells the story of one woman and her family that is
emblematic of a larger heartbreaking national scandal. In Child and Family
Court systems across the country, those who abuse their children are often
awarded custody of them by the very courts charged with protecting them. It
is estimated that 58,000 children a year are ordered into unsupervised
contact with physically or sexually abusive parents following divorce in the
United States.

Q&A with director to follow. Free & open to the public

9. MIT and SLB Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowships (Deadline Nov
30)
Contact: Kate Reynolds (katelr at mit.edu)
More info: http://www.facultyforthefuture.net/
Deadline: November 30, 2011

Schlumberger and the Schlumberger Foundation have announced the 2012 call
for "Faculty for the Future" Fellowships. This program provides fellowship
support for women from developing countries who are in PhD or postdoctoral
programs in the sciences and engineering.

Please distribute this RFP broadly so that all women graduate or
postdoctoral students at MIT who qualify will apply.

The deadline for submissions is November 30, 2011 and there is no internal
competition for this funding. More details can be found at the Schlumberger
Foundation web site: http://www.facultyforthefuture.net/  Please direct any
questions to me or Kate Reynolds (katelr at mit.edu) in the Office of
Foundation Relations.

10. Join Tesla Motors at MIT (Wed, Oct 5)
When: Wednesday, October 5th 5:00pm –7:00pm
Where : 2-105

Please bring your résumé.Food will be served

Tesla Motors designs and manufactures the most advanced electric vehicles
and electric power trains in the world. We do not compromise on innovation,
performance, or appeal. Nor do we compromise our commitment to hiring and
developing the best from around the world. We work in small, focused teams
which, much like our products, are agile, efficient, and focused on
excellence. We are driven by work that contributes to a global impact and
are passionate about our future in the automotive industry. The pace is
fast, the work is stimulating, structure is limited, and innovation is
expected.
If you thrive in environments where brilliance is common and challenge is
the norm, join us.

Contact: Joseph Torigian. jptori at mit.edu

The Political Science Department is creating a new undergraduate class using
graphic novels to teach about war and conflict. We are hoping to make this
class interdisciplinary by involving professors and students that use
computer animation or any other visual technologies. I'm the research
assistant hired to write the reading list for the course (because of my
long-time interest in graphic novels), but we're open to new ideas about how
to structure the class to make it truly interdisciplinary. If you're
interested in this project, or know a professor I should talk to, please
email me: unfortunately us polisci folk tend to have a bad sense of what the
rest of the institute is doing. - Joseph Torigian. jptori at mit.edu

12. Participate in a research study on the career development and
socialization of engineering Ph.D. students

Dear MIT Engineering Graduate Student:

We invite you to participate in a research study on the career development
and socialization of engineering Ph.D. students.  In particular, we would
like to speak with Ph.D. students who are at least in their third year of
doctoral study at MIT. Participation entails a brief survey and a one-on-one
interview that will take approximately 1 to 1.5 hours and will explore your
experiences and perceptions as a doctoral student, with specific emphasis on
your career development and the ways in which social networks with a variety
of individuals have contributed to your career development. The project’s
findings will inform the development and strengthening of career services
for graduate students and contribute to the literature on career development
in doctoral education.

As a token of our appreciation, you will be provided with a $25 gift card
for your participation.

If you would like to be interviewed, the information you share will be kept
confidential and your name and other personally identifying information will
not be associated with your comments or perceptions. Also, please be assured
that participation in this study is completely voluntary and your decision
to participate or not participate will have no effect on your relationship
with MIT.

If you would like to participate in this research study, please send an
email to STEMcareer at mit.edu to schedule an appointment in October or
November.

This study has been reviewed by MIT COUHES and has received support from
MIT’s Office of the Dean of Graduate Education.

Thank you for your consideration,

Carrie Sampson Moore, Deborah Liverman, and Katalin Szelenyi - Researchers
from MIT and UMass Boston

13. Lecture/Dinner with MIT Professor Esther Duflo (Mon, Oct 10, 6p)
When: Monday, October 10th 6:00pm refreshments, 6:30pm lecture
Where: Sid Pac (NW86), 70 Pacific Street, Cambridge
RSVP (optional for lecture only, required for lecture + dinner):
http://goo.gl/iJiKz

Contact: sp-cosi-chair at mit.edu

Does foreign aid help or hinder international development?
Are you interested in poverty alleviation in the developing world?
Why do the world's poor need to borrow in order to save, go to school but
often do not learn, or miss out on free life-saving immunizations but pay
for drugs that they do not need?

The MIT Presidential Fellows/Sidney Pacific Distinguished Lecture Series is
excited to present:

How can social science help us fight poverty?
Professor Esther Duflo, Department of Economics, MIT

Esther Duflo leads the Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) at MIT, which has
pioneered the use of Randomized Evaluations (REs) to answer questions
critical to poverty alleviation around the world, including in Latin
America, South and Southeast Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa. J-PAL's mission
is to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is based on scientific
evidence. She is a 2009 MacArthur Genius Grant recipient, the co-author,
with Abhijit Banerjee, of "Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way
to Fight Global Poverty", and one of Foreign Policy's top 100 intellectuals,
The Economist's top 8 young economists, and TIME Magazine's 100 most
influential people in the world.

The MIT Presidential Fellows/Sidney Pacific Distinguished Lecture Series
hosts leading thinkers at Sidney Pacific Graduate Residence, MIT's largest
graduate community. Lectures are open to the public and followed by dinner
for up to 40 lecture attendees and the speaker in the Housemaster's
Residence.

Don't forget to RSVP! http://goo.gl/iJiKz

Some additional links:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/authorinterviews/8681481/Esther-Duf
lo-Can-this-woman-change-the-world.html
http://www.povertyactionlab.org/
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/duflo-clark-0423.html

See you Monday, October 10!

**********Outside MIT**********

14. Longwood HGWISE Happy Hour (Thurs, Oct 6, 5-6p)
When: Thu, Oct 6, 5 - 6 pm
Where: JBM Lounge, Vanderbilt Hall, Longwood Campus

Take a break from your work and join HGWISE a Longwood happy hour in the JBM
Lounge at Vanderbilt Hall.  Join us for beer, soft drinks, snacks, and good
company!  Please forward this invite to any female undergrads and postdocs
you know who might be interested incoming.

15. [HGWISE] Outing to the Arnold Arboretum and Hot Chocolate (Sat, Oct 8)
When: Sat, Oct 8, 9am
Where: Meet in front of Greenhouse Cafe at the Science Center or meet us at
the Arboretum in front of the Hunnewell Building
RSVP:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG5POE1UTW9vbGdaZi15NEt
SZjkwRlE6MQ

Join HGWISE for a fun fall outing to the Arnold Arboretum
(http://arboretum.harvard.edu/). Fall is one of the most beautiful times of
the year to visit the Arboretum and October 8 is near the peak of the Fall
foliage in Boston. We will start off the day with a free guided tour. Then
the afternoon is yours to spend either in the grounds of the Arboretum or
taking a short walk to Jamaica Plain for lunch. Friends and family welcome!

To get there: Meet us in front of Greenhouse Cafe in the Science Center for
hot chocolate!  We will then take the No 1 bus and then the Orange line to
get there. Alternatively you can meet us at the Arboretum in front of the
Hunnewell Building. Please let us know if you're interested in joining us:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG5POE1UTW9vbGdaZi15NEt
SZjkwRlE6MQ

16. [HGWISE] HGWISE Longwood Welcome Luncheon (Wed, Oct 12, 12-1p)
When: Wed, Oct 12, 12 - 1 pm
Where: JBM Lounge, Vanderbilt Hall, Longwood Campus

Join us for lunch and to discuss our plans for the upcoming year.  We will
talk about upcoming HGWISE events and seek your opinions about what you want
HGWISE to do for you.  This is a great opportunity to share your ideas and
needs with HGWISE.

17. Science Shaping Our World: Translation of Innovation from Academia to
Industry (Thurs, Oct 13, 5:30-9p)
When: Thursday, October 13, 2011; 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM
Where: TMEC Walter Amphitheater, Harvard Medical School, 260 Longwood Ave,
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Register at: http://showoctober2011.eventbrite.com/

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights cutting edge translational life science research and
development. Our mission is to draw together a multidisciplinary audience
spanning academia and industry where they can gain exposure and insight into
the life science advancements changing our world.

October's special SHOW event highlights the translation of innovation from
academia to industry. Our outstanding speaker panel will be drawn from the
creation of innovation to intellectual property and licensing to the
translation, development, and ultimate commercialization of novel
technologies.

Further, our panel will speak to the importance of diversity within this
pathway as well as present real world examples where these steps have led to
vibrant new life science start-up companies.

18. [WISE Words] Join WISE Words Magazine - writers, web, and business leads
needed
What: Become a WISE Words writer for National and MIT Branch

Who: MIT women

Applications: provide information below to contact at wisewordsmagazine.com

Are you a woman in science, technology, or engineering?

JOIN WISE WORDS MAGAZINE!

(Women Innovating Science & Engineering)

We are currently looking for students from MIT to join our team!

For more information about writing for WISE Words, see below. To learn about
<http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/12/post/2011/10/join-wise-word-business-sc
hool-branch.html> business and
<http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/12/post/2011/10/join-wise-words-media-and-
design-national.html> web/design, see the links to our website.

About WISE WORDS Magazine!
A winner of the 2011 Harvard I3 start-up competition, WISE Words (Women
Innovating Science & Engineering) is a fast-growing online platform that
empowers young women to pursue careers in the sciences. We offer articles
ranging from <http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/features.html>  featured
interviews, editorials, <http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/blog.html>
columns, <http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/news.html>  news, and
<http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/advice.html>  advice for budding young
female scientists. In addition to pieces, we also offer resources, including
<http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/opportunities.html>  job/research
opportunities postings and <http://www.wisewordsmagazine.com/forum.html#/>
discussion forums.

Our advisory board includes science and business advisors from both MIT and
Harvard, including
MIT Professor Sangeeta Bhatia, MD, PhD, Harvard Professor Amy Wagers, PhD;
Associate Professor of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, and Dr. Marie
Dahleh, Ph.D.; Assistant Dean for Academic Programs, Harvard School of
Engineering and Applied Sciences.

BECOME A WISE WORDS WRITER! (NATIONAL AND MIT BRANCH)
- Can’t tear yourself away from popular science journals?
- Want to interview prominent women and students in science?
- Want your writing read by hundreds (plus!) young women from across the
country?

Comp WISE Words! We are looking for highly motivated and passionate writers
to join our team.

The perks:
- Sharpen your writing, communication, and web media skills
- Have your writing read by hundreds of students and professionals across
the country
- Become a part of an innovative new start-up! Read about WISE Word’s recent
award from the Harvard I3 Competition
- Become a part of a community of WISE Words women on your campus!
- Gain access to leadership opportunities to become more involved

Qualifications:
- Seeking passionate and entrepreneurial students
- No experience is necessary! However, journalism/writing experience and/or
background in science is a plus
- Must be able to work independently and keep to deadlines

Apply:
We are currently seeking both free-lance writers and staff writers.
If you are interested in writing for WISE Words, please contact us at
<mailto:contact at wisewordsmagazine.com> contact at wisewordsmagazine.com with
the subject line: Writing application.

Please include:
1. Your name
2. Your school
3. A brief background of your qualifications and interest in joining WISE
Words
4. A brief writing sample (preferably an excerpt from a blog, news article,
or creative piece).

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
Visit us: http:// <http://gwamit.org/> gwamit.org
Blog: http:// <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/> gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> gwamit