[GWAMIT] Announcements (5/23/11)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon May 23 10:36:13 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Join us on facebook to stay in the loop this summer.  facebook.gwamit.org

Have a great week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
 Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
 <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT:*
1. Open Position: Planning Chairs for the GSC Orientation's Women's Welcome
Lunch

*MIT Events:*
2. [AMITA] Annual Meeting with Guest Speaker Leslie Pack Kaelbling (Sat.
June 5, 11:30a-2p)
*
**MIT Opportunities
*3. Invitation to participate in study of the role of advising, mentors, and
networks in career development of engineering Ph.D. Students ($25 gift card)

*Outside MIT:*
4. [Mass-AWIS] Mentoring Circles End of Year Celebration (Wed. May 25,
7-9:30p)
*

*
*
To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators*
* *

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

**Contact: *gwamit-exec at mit.edu

Help welcome graduate women to MIT!  Become an orientation planning chair
and organize the GSC Orientation's Women's Welcome lunch.  The Women's
Welcome is an opportunity for new students to meet each other while learning
about campus resources.  (Photos from last year
here<https://picasaweb.google.com/gwamit.web/GraduateOrientationWomenSWelcomeLunch>
.)

Orientation planning chair responsibilities include:

   - Work with the GWAMIT Executive Board to develop a budget for the event.
   - Interface with multiple campus offices (including the ODGE and Ombuds)
   to negotiate an appropriate time.
   - Interface with caterers to arrange food for 200 guests.
   - Prepare orientation materials.  (We prepared a quick welcome
guide<http://mit.edu/gwamit/files/MIT_quickguide_2010.pdf>for last
year.)
   - Recruit a team of volunteers to help.
   - Lead volunteers day-of to arrange food, tables, and materials, welcome
   attendees, and present the campus resources.

We are recruiting 2-3 planning chairs.  If interested, please contact gwamit
-exec at mit.edu with a brief summary of experience.

*********MIT Events********

2. [AMITA] Annual Meeting with Guest Speaker Leslie Pack Kaelbling (Sat.
June 5, 11:30a-2p)*
*When:* Sunday, June 5, 11:30am - 2:00pm
*Where:* MIT, Bush Room
*Register: *
https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=54607&groupID=182
*Cost*: $5 for AMITA members, $7 for guests, FREE if you are not having
brunch.

"Making Robots That Are Smart and Adaptable: Toward Lt. Commander Data"  Dr
Kaelblibng is the ESR Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science

LIght brunch, followed by AMITA business, then Dr. Kaelbling's seminar.  And
of course ending with networking/informal discussions. If you are attending
a reunion brunch, feel free to arrive late.

Register at
https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=54607&groupID=182

*********MIT Opportunities********

3. Invitation to participate in study of the role of advising, mentors, and
networks in career development of engineering Ph.D. Students ($25 gift card)
*

*Dear MIT Engineering Graduate Student: *

We invite you to participate in a research study on the career development
and socialization of engineering Ph.D. students.  *In particular, we would
like to speak with Ph.D. students who are at least in their third year of
doctoral study at MIT.* Participation entails a brief survey and a
one-on-one interview that will take approximately 1 to 1.5 hours and will
explore your experiences and perceptions as a doctoral student, with
specific emphasis on your career development and the ways in which social
networks with a variety of individuals have contributed to your career
development. The project’s findings will inform the development and
strengthening of career services for graduate students and contribute to the
literature on career development in doctoral education.

*As a token of our appreciation, you will be provided with a $25 gift card
for your participation. *

If you would like to be interviewed, the information you share will be kept
confidential and your name and other personally identifying information will
not be associated with your comments or perceptions. Also, please be assured
that participation in this study is completely voluntary and your decision
to participate or not participate will have no effect on your relationship
with MIT.

*If you would like to participate in this research study, please send an
email to STEMcareer at mit.edu to schedule an appointment in May or June*.

This study has been reviewed by MIT COUHES and has received support from
MIT’s Office of the Dean of Graduate Education.

Thank you for your consideration,

*Carrie Sampson Moore, Deborah Liverman, and Katalin Szelenyi*

Researchers from MIT and UMass Boston

***********Outside MIT*************

*6. [Mass-AWIS] Mentoring Circles End of Year Celebration (Wed. May 25,
7-9:30p**
 )
When: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 from 7:00 to 9:30pm
Where: Microsoft NERD, Horace Mann room 1st Floor; 1 Memorial Dr, Cambridge,
MA
Cost: **FREE EVENT for all AWIS Members**; $10 for non‐members

Speakers: Katherine Turner, PhD and Current Mentoring Circle Members

Learn more about the Mass‐AWIS Mentoring Circle program first hand from
current mentors and mentees. Program success stories will be celebrated and
challenges will be noted as we strive to make this program better each year.
In addition, we will hear from Dr. Katherine Turner about the importance of
mentoring to her career.

Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
*Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit