[GWAMIT] Announcements - Open Position Info Session tomorrow

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Mar 14 11:06:58 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

We hope you enjoyed the empowerment conference as much as we did. If you'd
like to get more involved in GWAMIT, please come to our Info Session for
Open positions on Tuesday. Details below.

Enjoy the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========
IN BRIEF
========

*GWAMIT:*
1. GWAMIT Open Positions Info Session (Tues, March 15, 12-1pm)
*2. Seeking Co-Lead for GWAMIT Collaborative Event: Intimate tea with
inspirational women facutly/alumni*
*
**MIT Events:**
*
3. Iraqi Women in the "New Iraq": Law, Violence & Mobilization (Tues. Mar 15
3-4:30pm)
4. D.W. Weeks Women in Math Lecture "In Which We Think About Distance (Wed.
Mar 16, 5:30p)
5. Graduate Women's Group Lunch (Thurs. Mar 17, 12-1pm)
6. MIT WGS Screening: Women without Men (Fri. Mar 18, 7-9pm)
7. QWOCMAP Film Festival (Sat, Mar 19, 1-6p)
8. MIT GECD "Making Connections for Career Success" (Tues. Mar 14, 3-4:30p)
9. AMITA: Women Entrepreneur Panel (Thurs, Mar 24, 6-8:30p)
10. MIT150 Leaders in Science and Engineering: The Women of MIT (Mon. Mar
28- Tues. Mar. 29)

*MIT Announcements: *
11. Japanese Association of MIT Collecting Donations (Mon Mar 14-Fri Mar 18;
Lobby 10)

*Outside MIT:*
12. [Boston College] Women's Perspective from the Top (Register by Mar 22;
Wed. Mar 30, 6-8pm)
 13. Science Shaping Our World - Development of Gene Therapy for Single Gene
Disorders (Thur. Mar 31, 6-9pm)
14. [MAES-Boston] Seeking volunteers for Science Extravaganza (Sat. Apr. 2)
15. Women's Health and the Future of Medical Technology Innovation (Wed. Apr
13, 6:30-8:30p)
*
*
=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================

*********GWAMIT********
*
*1. GWAMIT Open Positions Info Session (Tues, March 15, 12-1pm)*
*When:* 12-1pm on Tuesday, March 15
*Where:*  6-103

**Did you like what you saw at the Empowerment Conference? Do you want to
help us plan future events?
Come learn about how to get more involved with GWAMIT at our Open Positions
Information Session.
Bring your lunch; we will provide snacks.

*2. Seeking Co-Lead for GWAMIT Collaborative Event: Intimate tea with
inspirational women facutly/alumni*
*

When: TBD, one event likely May or Fall

Contact: kfurman at mit.edu

Inspired by the GWAMIT Empowerment Conference's  Panel on Power Couples?
Want to get involved in a low-commitment, one-time event?

GWAMIT is looking for one additional person to join the current event lead
to help shape and plan a discussion on balancing family life and career with
an inspiring woman.

Please send a statement of interest to kfurman at mit.edu.
*

*********MIT Events*********
*
*
*3. Iraqi Women in the "New Iraq": Law, Violence & Mobilization (Tues. Mar
15 3-4:30pm)*
*When:* Tuesday, March 15, 3-4:30pm
*Where:* 4-237

MIT Program in Women's and Gender Studies presents the Spring 2011
McMillan-Stewart lecture "Iraqi Women in the "New Iraq": Law, Violence &
Mobilization" with Professor Nadje Al-Ali.

Iraq is not news anymore except during suicide bombings and targeted attacks
of religious minorities, politicians and professionals. But what happened to
Iraqi women who were promised liberation, greater rights and an important
role in the “new Iraq”? In this talk, I will critically reflect on the
legal, political and social conditions and developments in post-invasion
Iraq. I will pay particular attention to various forms of increasing gender
based violence and discuss the mobilization against it. In this context I
will address the importance of transnational feminist solidarity that takes
an intersectional approach as its basis for mobilization.

*4. D.W. Weeks Women in Math Lecture "In Which We Think About Distance (Wed.
Mar 16, 5:30p)
**When:* Wednesday, March 16, 5:30pm
*Where:* 2-139
*Speaker:* Moon Duchin (University of Michigan)

Abstract: In this talk, I'll focus on something basic -- the definition of a
metric, or a way of measuring distance -- and I'll examine the work that it
does. I'll spend a chunk of time on the p-adics, where distance between
rational numbers is measured from the point of view of a prime p, and show a
beautiful p-adic proof, due to Monsky, of an elementary theorem in plane
geometry. I'll also talk about metrics on surfaces, and a metric on the
space of metrics.

Prerequisites for the talk: none really necessary, but it would be nice to
have seen metric spaces. Knowing about the p-adics couldn't hurt.Pizza
following the talk.
*
5. Graduate Women's Group Lunch (Thurs. Mar 17, 12-1p)*
*When: *Thursday, March 17, 12-1pm
*Where:* Margaret Cheney Room (3-310)

We invite you all to join us for the second GWG lunch of the semester, to be
held next Thursday, March 17th at noon in the Margaret Cheney Room (3-310).
 We will provide you with some yummy food and the opportunity to connect
with each other.

*6. MIT WGS Screening: Women without Men (Fri. Mar 18, 7-9pm)*
*When:* Friday, March 18, 7-10pm
*Where:* 32-141

MIT Program in Women's and Gender Studies in collaboration with the Graduate
Consortium in Women's Studies present "WOMEN TAKE THE REEL" - a film
festival celebrating Women's History Month.

In her feature-film debut, renowned visual artist Shirin Neshat offers an
exquisitely crafted view of Iran in 1953, when a British- and
American-backed coup removed the democratically elected government. Adapted
from the novel by Iranian author Shahrnush Parsipur, the film weaves
together the stories of four individual women during those traumatic days,
whose experiences are shaped by their faith and the social structures in
place.

With a camera that floats effortlessly through the lives of the women and
the beautiful countryside of Iran, Neshat explores the social, political,
and psychological dimensions of her characters as they meet in a
metaphorical garden, where they can exist and reflect while the complex
intellectual and religious forces shaping their world linger in the air
around them.
Discussion with author of the novel Women Without Men, Shahrnush Parsipur,
to follow.
*
*
*7. QWOCMAP Film Festival (Sat, Mar 19, 1-6p)*
*When: *Saturday, March 19 1-6pm
*Where:* 32-155

Join us for a day of short and feature length films curated by the Queer
Women of Color Media Arts Project (QWOCMAP).

IT Program in Women's and Gender Studies in collaboration with the Graduate
Consortium in Women's Studies present "WOMEN TAKE THE REEL" - a film
festival celebrating Women's History Month. Cosponsored by lbgt at mit

*8. MIT GECD "Making Connections for Career Success" (Tues. Mar 14, 3-4:30p)
*
*When*: Tuesday March 14, 3-4:30pm
*Where*: 1-135
*Sign up* on CareerBridge at:
https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/home.aspx.<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/home.aspx>

Did you know that 80% of individuals find jobs through their connections? Do
you have a difficult time figuring out what to say at social events, career
fairs or company functions? Does the word networking frighten you? Learn how
to connect effectively with others while making a winning impression and
creating a personal brand. Gain advice on how to use social media tools to
turn online connections into in person connections that can help you grow
professionally. Register on CareerBridge (click on Workshops Career Fairs
and Events).

*9. AMITA: Women Entrepreneur Panel (Thurs, Mar 24, 6-8:30p)*
*When:* Thursday, March 24, 6-8:30pm
*Where:*  IBM, 1001 East Hillsdale Blvd, West Tower, 4th Floor, Foster City,
CA  94404
*Register:*  http://womenentrep.kintera.org
*
*
*Have you ever considered starting a company or joining a start-up? How do
you evaluate opportunities and decide when to take the plunge? How do you
finance your startup?  We'll explore the paths of several women
entrepreneurs who have successfully built bootstrapped and VC-funded
ventures. Come and learn and be inspired by a panel of distinguished women
from a variety of industries who have taken different paths to success.
Light refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP as we have limited space
and must accommodate building security.

Moderator:  Sramana Mitra (Forbes columnist and author)
Panelists:  Amy Pressman (Medallia), Jennifer Gill Roberts (Vivecoach),
Carol Realini (Obopay), Wendy Lung (IBM Venture Capital) and others*
*
*
*10. MIT150 Leaders in Science and Engineering: The Women of MIT (Mon. Mar
28- Tues. Mar. 29)*
*When:* Monday March 28 and Tuesday, March 29
*Where:* Kresge Auditorium
*Register:* http://mit150.mit.edu/symposia/women-of-MIT

"Leaders in Science and Engineering: The Women of MIT," March 28-29, 2011,
aims to recognize both individual and institutional leadership in the
success of women in science and engineering. MIT has many outstanding women
faculty whose success should encourage more women to enter the pipeline for
STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields.

The symposium has two threads. First, progress and current challenges in
encouraging gender equity will be discussed. Second, leaders in science and
engineering, who are women, will address important and exciting research
topics including neurological disease, space and planetary exploration,
chemical synthesis, novel materials, microbes in the sea, and gravitational
waves. The scientific and policy questions addressed here will be
interesting to a broad audience.

***********MIT Announcements**********

**11. Japanese Association of MIT Collecting Donations (Mon Mar 14-Fri Mar
18; Lobby 10)*
*When:*Monday, March 14 to Friday March 18
*Where:* Lobby 10

Japan needs warm support from abroad. The Japanese Association of MIT(JAM)
will try our best to convey messages and donations from the entire MIT
community. JAM members will collect donations and messages at the Lobby10 (
http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=10)  from Monday, Mar. 14 through Friday, Mar.
18th.

The money will be used to provide the earthquake victims with shelters,
foods, and clothes. It will also be used to help rebuild their homes and
restore their agricultural lands. The climate of Sendai is very similar to
that of Boston; it is easy to imagine that many people who lost their houses
will particularly suffer from the cold weather. We will take responsibility
to send the money to appropriate organizations that use them effectively. We
are going to make a decision on the organization to donate to based on the
information we will gather during this week. To this end, we are
collaborating with other Japanese associations all around Boston area.

In order to inform you of the donation status, we will update our website on
a daily basis (http://web.mit.edu/jam/www/). It is also important for us to
have donors information, including name, email address, amount of money, for
our records. It is therefore helpful if you could provide us with these
information. In addition to cash, we will also accept checks made payable to
Japanese Association of MIT. Receipt will be issued upon request.

***********Outside MIT**************

12. [Boston College] Women's Perspective from the Top (Register by Mar 22;
Wed. Mar 30, 6-8pm)*
*When: *  Wednesday March 30, 6-8pm
*Where: *Boston College, Yawkey Center, Murray Room
*Register: *Space is limited, please RSVP to bostoncollegegwib at gmail.com by
*March 22*

The Graduate Women in Business (GWIB) and the Council for Women of Boston
College will be hosting Women’s Perspective from the Top, a panel and
networking event on March 30, 2011.  This exciting event will feature female
executives and entrepreneurs who will share their experience in building and
leading organizations.  Panel topics will include management style,
leadership strategies, competitive cultural advantages of female-led
organizations and wage parity issues.  A networking session with
refreshments will follow the panel.

Panelists will include:
Dr. Elizabeth Pomfret, Chair of the Lahey Clinic Department of
Transplantation
Pat Hillman, Managing Director of Devonshire Investors and former Managing
Director of Fidelity
Pamela Civins, Executive Director of Boston Partners in Education

*13. Science Shaping Our World - Development of Gene Therapy for Single Gene
Disorders (Thur. Mar 31, 6-9pm)*
*When: *Thursday, March 31, 6-9pm
*Where: *TMEC Walter Amphitheater
*Register: *http://showmarch2011.eventbrite.com/

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) is an ongoing seminar and networking series
that highlights cutting edge translational life science research and
development. Our mission is to bring together a multidisciplinary audience
spanning academia and industry where they can gain exposure and insight into
the life science advancements changing our world. Further, we seek to
promote active inter and cross-disciplinary dialogue and networking
opportunities toward fostering the creation of relationships bridging bench
to bedside.

March’s SHOW will focus on the development and application of gene therapy
for the treatment of single gene disorders. The presentation will focus on
efforts to direct gene therapy to target sites including recent phase 2
clinical trial results aimed at treating genetic emphysema due to alpha-1
antitrypsin deficiency.
*
*
* 14. [MAES-Boston] Seeking volunteers for Science Extravaganza (Sat. Apr.
2)*
*When: *Saturday, April 2
*More info*: web.mit.edu/maes/www/extravaganza/index.html

MAES-Boston, the local professional chapter of the Society of Latino
Engineers and Scientists, is looking for volunteers for the 2nd annual
Science Extravaganza, an all-day, hands-on experience for middle and high
school students that introduces them to the science and engineering fields.
This event, which is organized by our student chapter, is taking place on
Saturday, April 2nd.  More information about the Extravaganza and how to
volunteer can be found at web.mit.edu/maes/www/extravaganza/index.html. Our
organization has a number of different events and activities throughout the
year that are geared towards educational outreach.

For more information about joining the MAES-Boston chapter, please contact
Valerie Avila at vavila at draper.com

*15. Women's Health and the Future of Medical Technology Innovation (Wed.
Apr 13, 6:30-8:30p)*
*When: Wednesday, April 13, 6:30-8:30pm*
*Where: *MIT Innovation Museum, Boston
*Register: *womenshealth at sagentia.com with "Yes I would like to attend" as
the subject
*Details: *womenshealth at sagentia.com

The $20+ billion global women's health market is characterized by increased
competition around existing products but a need for innovation around
development of new diagnostics and therapeutics. Join us to hear from
industry experts on the challenges and opportunities around meeting the
unmet needs for healthcare products that address women's health.
Buffet to follow.