[GWAMIT] Announcements (7/11/11)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 11 09:03:40 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Check out videos from the empowerment conference.  The communications
workshop and Online Personal Branding workshop are on MIT TechTV:
http://bit.ly/gwamit_communicate  and http://bit.ly/gwamit_online

Enjoy the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
 Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
 <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>Visit us: http://gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT: *
1. Join GWAMIT Mentoring Committee for Fall 2011-Spring 2012
**
*Outside MIT:*
2. [Harvard] Series on Education: Transitioning into Careers in K-12
Education (Thu, Jul 14, 3-4:30p)
3. [HGWISE and McKinsey] A Dialogue on Leadership for Women (Fri, July 22,
3-5:30p)
*
 4. [SHOW] Micro-engineering Hydrogels for Stem Cell Bioengineering and
Tussue Regeneration ( Thur, July 28, 6-9p)
*
*
To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators*
* *

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*
**

*Contact:* gwamit-mentor at mit.edu

Join the GWAMIT Mentoring Committee to help plan our Mentoring Program for
next year!  We need people to help advertise, organize, develop surveys,
match groups, and much more! The GWAMIT Mentoring Program started just last
year with 134 participants in 57 mentoring groups.  We'd love to expand the
Mentoring Program, but we need your help!  And, as a perk, joining the
Planning Committee guarantees you a space in the Program next year!

Please contact skimmel at mit.edu and kfurman at mit.edu if you'd like to be
involved.

***********Outside MIT***********
**
*2. [Harvard] Series on Education: Transitioning into Careers in K-12
Education (Thu, Jul 14, 3-4:30p)
When: *Thursday, July 14, 3 - 4.30 pm*
Where: *Harvard Medical School, TMEC 209
*RSVP:* requested but not required to Johanna Gutlerner,
johanna_gutlerner at hms.harvard.edu

Presented by: Orin Gutlerner, M.Ed.
Founding Director of the MATCH school Teacher Residency Program

Orin Gutlerner has experience in training and recruiting new teachers and
has worked with mid-career professionals transitioning into K-12 teaching.
He will briefly discuss the various options for entering the K-12 education
professions and then will take questions from the audience.

This series is open to everyone.

For more of our events, visit http://curriculumfellows.hms.harvard.edu

*

3. [HGWISE and McKinsey] A Dialogue on Leadership for Women (Fri, July 22,
3-5:30p)
When: Friday, July 22nd, program from 3:00 - 4:30 PM, followed by a casual
reception from 4:30-5:30 PM
Where: The Common Room @ the Dudley House
RSVP: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HGWISE

We are excited to invite you to a dialogue on leadership for women that
HGWISE is co-hosting with McKinsey on Friday, July 22.  This program is
designed for
 all women graduate students, whether you are pursuing an academic,
industry, or consulting career (details below).

The program will focus on "Centered Leadership" - a distinctive
approach to developing
leaders.  Centered Leadership was created as part of the Women's initiative
at McKinsey, with roots in positive psychology, research on leadership, and
interviews women with leaders from around the world.  It evolved from the
desire to understand what drives success for women in all professional walks
of life. More recently, the program has expanded to help women better
cultivate the skills and mindsets needed on their journey to become leaders
be it in academia or the corporate world.  Its five themes form a holistic
approach to leadership that sustains women as they take on increasingly
challenging roles. These themes are:
 -- Meaning:  finding your purpose and strengths and deploying them in your
work to flourish
-- Energizing:  knowing where your energy comes from, how it is drained, and
what you can do to manage it
-- Framing:  adopting a more constructive way to view your world, expanding
your horizons, and gaining the confidence and resilience to move ahead
 -- Connecting:  identifying who can help you grow and finding your place
among them
-- Engaging:  finding your voice and taking ownership of your opportunities

We will introduce Centered Leadership and then focus our discussion on
"Framing and Connecting".  We hope the afternoon will be fun, interesting,
and inspiring, and we are excited to have several Harvard and HGWISE alumni
on the McKinsey team, including Mary Rozenman, Sumin Koo, and Daina
Graybosch. Mary and Daina both served as President of Harvard Women in
Chemistry during grad school so come take this great opportunity to learn
more about Harvard's women science groups!

4. [SHOW] Micro-engineering Hydrogels for Stem Cell Bioengineering and
Tussue Regeneration ( Thur, July 28, 6-9p)
When: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 6-9pm
Where: Harvard Institutes of Medicine Bray Room, 4 Blackfan Circle -First
Floor,  Boston, MA
Register: http://showjuly2011.eventbrite.com

Science Shaping Our World (SHOW) : Micro-engineered Hydrogels for Stem Cell
Bioengineering and Tissue Regeneration

Keynote Speaker: Hojae Bae, Ph.D ,Instructor Department of Medicine
Harvard-MIT Health Sciences Technology
Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital

***************
*
*Join GWAMIT on the web to get the latest updates:
*Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit