[GWAMIT] Announcements

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jul 26 12:41:16 EDT 2010

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Enjoy the Week!

The GWAMIT Board

Visit us at: http://gsc.mit.edu/gwamit

Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu

Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu

========

IN BRIEF

========

Notices:

1. The ODGE has 8 openings for Graduate Community Fellows

Events:

2. [Th 7/29] Tech Cocktail Boston 2010 Startup Mixer (6:30-9:30 pm, 1
Memorial Drive)

3. [Fri 7/30] MIT vs. Harvard Case Competition Finals (2-6 pm, E51
Wong Aud)

4. [Tue 8/3] The Nuts and Bolts of an Academic Job Search (3:30 – 5
pm, 32-123)

=====================

FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS

=====================

1. The Office of the Dean for Graduate Education has eight openings
for Graduate Community Fellows for the 2010-11 academic year.

Graduate Community Fellows are a cadre of graduate students who work
on projects and assignments that enhance MIT graduate community in
unique ways. Each Fellow reports to a staff member in the Office of
the Dean for Graduate Education or in a partner organization, and
focuses on a specific project. Fellows receive partial stipend support
for the length of their appointment period.  Please see our web site
for available assignments and an application form:  http://web.mit.edu/odge/community/gcfellows.html

We are accepting applications now through July 30, and plan to fill
these positions by mid-August in preparation for graduate
orientation.  Please contact me with any questions.

2. Tech Cocktail Boston 2010 Startup Mixer

When: Thursday, July 29, 6:30 – 9:30 pm

Where: Microsoft New England R&D Center, One Memorial Drive,
Cambridge, MA 02142

Audience: Tech and start-up community

Register: http://microsoftcambridge.com/Events/TECHcocktailBoston2010StartupMixer/tabid/461/Default.aspx

We are excited to be hosting our fourth annual Boston TECH cocktail
startup and entrepreneurial mixer event as we look to better connect,
education and amplify the local technology scene. Last year we had a
great turnout and showcased a number of startups.

Join us for an evening of fun mingling with other technology
enthusiasts, VCs, bloggers and entrepreneurs as we showcase local
technology companies and take a closer look at their latest
achievements.

3. Finals of MIT vs. Harvard Case Competition 2010 + Networking
Session with Consultants

When: Friday, July 30, 2 - 6pm

Where: E51- Wong Auditorium

Website: www.consultingclubatmit.com

Contact: consultingclub at mit.edu

-  Watch the teams from top two schools compete for winning the case
competition

-  Learn how a real business case (sponsored by RelayRides) was tackled

-  Network with consultants from top consulting firms (important if
you plan on interviewing this Fall)

-  Light snacks and drinks will be served

4. Academic Career Series: "The Nuts and Bolts of an Academic Job
Search"

When: Tuesday, August 3, 3:30pm - 5:00pm

Where: 32-123

Contact: Simona Nedelcu or Sumeet Kumar at gsc-arc at mit.edu

Register: https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/ , under Workshops,
Career Fairs and Events

Considering an academic career? Wondering how to mount a successful
job search in a highly competitive academic job market? Come and hear
how others have done it.

This seminar will feature faculty panelists who successfully landed a
position. Speakers will outline an effective search strategy, and
provide insight into the faculty selection process, priorities of
faculty/academic search committees compared with industrial
organizations, academic job interviewing techniques, and how the
increasingly competitive job market is changing the faculty search
process.

Panelists will be:

- Jeffrey M. Karp, PhD, Assistant Professor at the Harvard-MIT
Division of Health Sciences and Technology

- Armando Solar-Lezama, PhD, Assistant Professor at MIT, Computer
Aided Programming Group, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory

-Cullen Buie, PhD, Assistant Professor at MIT, Department of
Mechanical Engineering

Sponsors: MIT Career Development Center, Postdoc Advisory Council,
Graduate Student Council